Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Bad Bike Day (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=8312)

Amber Lamps 06-09-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJoYZF (Post 222637)
Yea it definitely could have been a lot worse

Pretty much. He started on with the stuff about not knowing if used electrical parts like that would last or if theyd just crap out after a week too.

Dang I should have guessed coil! j/k Sorry to hear that but at least it'll be fixed and hopefully they took a look at everything else.

JoJoYZF 06-09-2009 05:19 PM

I had a couple people guess it could be the coils but it was on the list with a timing issue as something I didnt want to mess with.

Gas Man 06-10-2009 01:39 PM

Coils... hmm... I think that was one of our first guesses....

Did you get the bike back yet?

JoJoYZF 06-10-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 223710)
Coils... hmm... I think that was one of our first guesses....

Did you get the bike back yet?

No the dealer doesnt stock any electrical parts so they had to order them. They said hopefully this weekend or early next week at the latest.

racedoll 06-10-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tached1000rr (Post 222631)
Cause it's the dealership, their process of repair, usually is replace all components in a system that could be causing said problem, vs only replacing the one known problem once found.

No.... it's because they are a dealer and want to charge you out the ass for their service.

JoJo - check the bike over completely before you leave. Not once has Erik had a bike worked on at the dealer without something being screwed up on it.

JoJoYZF 06-10-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 223971)
No.... it's because they are a dealer and want to charge you out the ass for their service.

JoJo - check the bike over completely before you leave. Not once has Erik had a bike worked on at the dealer without something being screwed up on it.

I plan on it. If Im paying that much Ill be making sure everything is perfect. I actually dont even have my side fairings on the thing right now since I knew the dealer would be taking them off to work on it, one less thing that can get screwed up.

Rsv1000R 06-11-2009 02:47 PM

Hmmm, Coils going bad in 6k miles :skep:

Well, you'll know for sure once the they get your bike running again.

BTW, where did you take it?

No Worries 06-11-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJoYZF (Post 222613)
UPDATE: Just heard from the dealer this morning, and now I get to spend a bunch of money. Turns out the little spark my buddy said he say wasnt nearly enough to fire the bike. They said one of the four coils is toast and of course theyre only sold as a package deal for all 4 for my bike. Parts are over 200, then over 150 for them diagnosing it and installing the new parts. Yay...

So you have one of those new fangled bikes where each spark plug has it's own coil? One of my two coils went bad and my four-cylinder was still able to start and run on two cylinders. Crappy, but it ran. I just don't see how your bike couldn't start and run on three cylinders.

racedoll 06-11-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 224548)
So you have one of those new fangled bikes where each spark plug has it's own coil? One of my two coils went bad and my four-cylinder was still able to start and run on two cylinders. Crappy, but it ran. I just don't see how your bike couldn't start and run on three cylinders.

Yeah, my hubby was wondering the same. He thought it should run on 3 coils, but hell anything is possible I guess. We will find out soon enough if this fixed the problem.

Amber Lamps 06-11-2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 224548)

One thing I know about "service techs", if they tested the first plug and got a weak spark and determined it was the coil... trust me, no other plugs were tested after that.:lol: I'm still mildly worried that it's something before the coil, I just don't know what to call it... unless, when one coil goes bad, it throws the whole system out of wack.... I'm with the guy that thinks this is unusual for a bike with 6000 miles on it as well. I can honestly say that I have never replaced a coil on a bike and my last GSXR had 42k on it when I traded it in.:idk: Plus the sudden loss also bothers me... again :idk: I guess we'll just have to wait and see.