Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   refused service because of bad tipping (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=13425)

Kaneman 02-25-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildchild (Post 342305)
No it's dumb to work a job that pays less then minimum PLUS EARNED TIPS and then complain when you don't get tips because they were NOT EARNED. you take the position saying i think i can bust ass and make big coin and if a patron feels you haven't EARNED a large tip you feel slighted. (i do not mean you personally here just a server in general)

you take a less then minimum job knowing you may actually make less then minimum wage unless you EARN THE TIPS

This isn't about crappy servers not making money, its about good servers getting screwed over by tightwads. No one is arguing that you should tip your server no matter how bad their service was.

This relates to added gratuity, usually for large parties, which is a management effort to stop large parties from taking all their server's time and then fucking them on the tip...which is very common with large parties.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildchild (Post 342310)
just a thought here but maybe you get great service 90% of the time because you return to establishments where you recieve great service?

i know i do. i even request certain servers when I go. great service, great tip, and I'll make sure to get your table next time. it's a reciprocating thing.

Yes, I've never said anything counter to that.

Homeslice 02-25-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 342299)
Theres a difference between hard and serving tables too..

Again, have you ever done it? At a real place, not TGI Friday's? In the middle of tourist season?

And I said ONE of the hardest jobs, not THE hardest.

Dunno why we're even arguing. Nobody here is trying to say that tips are mandatory.

shmike 02-25-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 342318)
Dunno why we're even arguing. Nobody here is trying to say that tips are mandatory.

Welcome to TWFix.

That was the whole point of this thread but unfortunately it was forgotten long ago.

The restaurant in the original post did just that. By agreeing with their decision you agree with a mandatory tipping policy.

Apoc 02-25-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 342318)

Did you really think I come here to agree with people?

Papa_Complex 02-25-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 342297)
Can you prove it was his fault for being late? What if it was the cook's fault or his manager's fault? If so why does the driver deserve to get stiffed?

These guys use their own car and their own gas, and often get held up at gunpoint for money........and you stiff them without any proof that it was their fault. Nice. How about maybe calling the manager and asking for a discount instead? That way the driver isn't affected.

Here's a new tactic that's been used by delivery guys around my place for the last couple of years; say that you can't make change. There you are with a $20 bill, for a $12 pizza, and he can't make change.

Homeslice 02-25-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 342320)
Welcome to TWFix.

That was the whole point of this thread but unfortunately it was forgotten long ago.

The restaurant in the original post did just that. By agreeing with their decision you agree with a mandatory tipping policy.

When I said mandatory I meant as if there was a law requiring tips anyplace, anytime. There isn't and there never should be. What you're talking about is one particular restuarant who must have had prior experience with this bitch, and told her she had to tip. At that point she has a choice, she can leave and go somewhere else that doesn't know what a cheap, argumentative bitch she probably is.

shmike 02-25-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 342326)
When I said mandatory I meant as if there was a law requiring tips anyplace, anytime. There isn't and there never should be. What you're talking about is one particular restuarant who must have had prior experience with this bitch, and told her she had to tip. At that point she has a choice, she can leave and go somewhere else that doesn't know what a cheap, argumentative bitch she probably is.

Or she can make a stink about it.

Since she is cheap and argumentative which do you think she'll choose?

I'm all for private businesses enacting whatever policies they deem best for business but it should be fair (or at least APPEAR to be).

Homeslice 02-25-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 342323)
Here's a new tactic that's been used by delivery guys around my place for the last couple of years; say that you can't make change. There you are with a $20 bill, for a $12 pizza, and he can't make change.

Sounds like what a stripper told me years ago when I was dumb enough to pay for a lap dance :lol:

Papa_Complex 02-25-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 342335)
Sounds like what a stripper told me years ago when I was dumb enough to pay for a lap dance :lol:

... and dumb enough to not go to a strip joint with a horse-chokingly big wad of singles, wrapped up in a hundred.

MissHell 02-25-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 342053)
I'm a notorious over-tipper, but I'm not shy about giving no tip when there has been no service.

Same here. I believe it's earned and if you didn't provide me good service, there won't be a tip.

I do despise tip jars at counters. Taking my order at a register and handing it to me, is not tip-worthy service.