Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Spark plugs? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=7382)

askmrjesus 04-11-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 195490)
Spark plug heat ranges have almost no effect on the actual combustion temperatures unless the plug causes preignition or incomplete combustion.

I think that's what I said. A plug that's too hot will cause pre-ignition, which will translate to higher engine temps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 195490)
You should use whatever plug is recommended for fuel injected engines.

My KTM disagrees. :lol:

You should use whatever plug is spec'd for your bike. I'm not aware of any "fuel injection only" spark plugs.

JC

101lifts2 04-11-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 195494)
Yes, but which way do you point them?

"Conventional Wisdom" dictates that you point the gap toward the intake (so the ground strap doesn't block the air/fuel mixture) but some engine configurations seem to work better with the gap facing the outlet valves. :shrug:

JC

If the thread starting position in the head is the same then in theory the plugs will all be at the same position. It shouldn't matter which way the plug points if the air/fuel charge has swirled enough to make the mixture homogenous.

askmrjesus 04-11-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 195526)
If the thread starting position in the head is the same then in theory the plugs will all be at the same position. It shouldn't matter which way the plug points if the air/fuel charge has swirled enough to make the mixture homogenous.

Those are nice theories.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way in the real world.

For one thing, even if the heads of mass produced bikes had all their threads in exactly the same sync (which they don't) the spark plugs would still not be. The ones I'm holding in my hand aren't, and they weren't exactly cheap, so, so much for theory #1.

As for theory #2, whether or not the fuel/air mix swirls perfectly, depends on many variables, including variables caused by after-market mods like air filters, so, so much for theory #2.

The question isn't whether or not the bike will run, it's, can you make it run better?

JC

ZUKIMON 04-11-2009 05:19 PM

NGK FTW. If that's not available and I have to have something right then.......ND will usually suffice.

As for Bosch, I have removed more of those plugs from car engines for causing misfires than any other plug. I have actually removed Bosch Platinum plus 4's that were only 30 miles old cause they were causing more issues than they were stopping. I don't like 'em and will never use them again. I also only like a Champion in a lawn mower or chainsaw. :idk:

marko138 04-11-2009 05:21 PM

I think I've got a Champion in my mower. Suckers gotta be 10 years old at least, runs like an animal.

BobTheBiker 04-11-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZUKIMON (Post 195563)
I also only like a Champion in a lawn mower or chainsaw. :idk:

MY chainsaw only likes NGK plugs. those champion pieces of shit just anger my old McCulloch 10-10 auto, as well as the Jonsered 670 I used to have, and all my previous Stihls. That said, NGK is king for plugs of quality.

marko138 04-11-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheBiker (Post 195567)
MY chainsaw only likes NGK plugs. those champion pieces of shit just anger my old McCulloch 10-10 auto, as well as the Jonsered 670 I used to have, and all my previous Stihls. That said, NGK is king for plugs of quality.

Gotta keep the saw happy. No one likes an angry chain saw. They bite.

Yamerhaw 04-11-2009 05:44 PM

well the old ones looked perfect, but since i had already went to the trouble of taking them out, i just put new ones in anyway, just went back with the NGK

Yamerhaw 04-11-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZUKIMON (Post 195563)
NGK FTW. If that's not available and I have to have something right then.......ND will usually suffice.

As for Bosch, I have removed more of those plugs from car engines for causing misfires than any other plug. I have actually removed Bosch Platinum plus 4's that were only 30 miles old cause they were causing more issues than they were stopping. I don't like 'em and will never use them again. I also only like a Champion in a lawn mower or chainsaw. :idk:

i agree about the Bosch, we've replaced SEVERAL at my work too

tached1000rr 04-11-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamerhaw (Post 195579)
well the old ones looked perfect, but since i had already went to the trouble of taking them out, i just put new ones in anyway, just went back with the NGK

How many miles on your bike?