Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Shipping advice (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=17933)

OneSickPsycho 01-13-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 441901)
FedEx will be the cheapest. I have shipped tons of fairings, car bumpers, and even motors. Fedex.

Hit up the local walmart even and get some boxes.

We did a run by WalMart and about 10 other places last night after work... everything was crushed and bundled already... We got some pretty big boxes here at work for HVAC filters... gonna bastardize two of those into one big box.

According to USPS' website, $107 in one box. FedEx is $108... That's if I can fit those dimensions/weight... if I go bigger or have to use more than one box, it's a toss up...

With packaging and everything I figure 50lbs.

OneNotSoSickPsycho 01-13-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 441931)
We did a run by WalMart and about 10 other places last night after work... everything was crushed and bundled already... We got some pretty big boxes here at work for HVAC filters... gonna bastardize two of those into one big box.

According to USPS' website, $107 in one box. FedEx is $108... That's if I can fit those dimensions/weight... if I go bigger or have to use more than one box, it's a toss up...

With packaging and everything I figure 50lbs.

I thought you already tried to make one big box outta those and it didnt work?

OneSickPsycho 01-13-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneNotSoSickPsycho (Post 441960)
I thought you already tried to make one big box outta those and it didnt work?

The two boxes were different sizes... gonna get another box today that's the same size as one of them...

azoomm 01-13-2011 10:47 AM

Everytime I've been shipped bodywork - it's been in a big ass box with either wood or foam to keep the corners square. You can get foam pretty cheaply at a craft store - think the stuff they make flower arrangements with. Put that on the corners of the bodywork so it doesn't have a chance of going through the box.

shmike 01-13-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 441843)
I shipped all my street fairings off my R6 for $73 using USPS. Luckily I had my big track bodywork box to use...

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 441965)
Everytime I've been shipped bodywork - it's been in a big ass box with either wood or foam to keep the corners square. You can get foam pretty cheaply at a craft store - think the stuff they make flower arrangements with. Put that on the corners of the bodywork so it doesn't have a chance of going through the box.

These two.

I have sold lots of stuff over the last few years, including multiple sets of body work.

USPS will be the cheapest unless you have a negotiated rate with another carrier.

Race body work boxes work great for shipping a whole set.

UPS stores will sell "artwork" boxes which work well for side/lower fairings as long as they don't have too much of a curve to them.

Get creative. Placing a large panel diagonally can help you squeeze something big into a small(er) box.

Pack it well and reinforce the corners and middle.

OneSickPsycho 01-13-2011 02:40 PM

So.... a guy at work mentioned Greyhound... I'm like, 'the bus people?'

Apparently the bottoms of their buses are NEVER full because people traveling by bus usually don't have a lot of shit, I guess... They fill the bottoms and charge ridiculously low rates... and have ridiculous maximum dimensions (82"x47"x30"!)... I'm going to grab a couple of gaylords (the boxes) from our warehouse and build a fucking monster box to put this shit in... and save about $50 or so in shipping. BOO YA!

Yeah, I said 'boo ya'...

Most large replacement body panels sold on eBay for cars (like bumper covers, and such) are shipped by dirty dog. I should have remember to tell ya. I just hate having to drive to the bus station to get my shit, so it's not my personal fav.

defector 01-13-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 442046)
So....I'm going to grab a couple of gaylords BOO YA!

Yeah, I said 'boo ya'...

And gaylord.
The Greyhound thing is pretty damn genius, though.

OneNotSoSickPsycho 01-13-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 442046)
So.... a guy at work mentioned Greyhound... I'm like, 'the bus people?'

Apparently the bottoms of their buses are NEVER full because people traveling by bus usually don't have a lot of shit, I guess... They fill the bottoms and charge ridiculously low rates... and have ridiculous maximum dimensions (82"x47"x30"!)... I'm going to grab a couple of gaylords (the boxes) from our warehouse and build a fucking monster box to put this shit in... and save about $50 or so in shipping. BOO YA!

Yeah, I said 'boo ya'...

:lol: ...Gaylord...hahahahahaha!!!:lol:

OneSickPsycho 01-13-2011 03:01 PM

gaylord
http://www.empirecontainercorp.com/bulkbox.jpg