Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Riding Gear (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Icon Ftw!!! (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=682)

Rider 03-20-2008 12:12 PM

Icon is better than no gear obviously, but hey it's your money.....

Amber Lamps 03-20-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neebelung (Post 20436)
As far as I know, HJC makes Icon's lids.

I think you might be right. The only difference is that Icon designs their own lids,JR uses existing HJC designs and puts their stickers/vents on them.

Amber Lamps 03-20-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 20441)
Icon is better than no gear obviously, but hey it's your money.....

I will never understand the Icon hate around here. Icon passes all of the same DOT,Snell, and/or ECU specifications that any other company does... The Motorcyclist helmet test helped me realize that when they proclaimed that a $75 AFX helmet was the safest helmet made. I used to ALWAYS buy Arai,I thought I was paying for extra head protection. Now I'd rather be able to buy two or three Scorpion,Icon,HJC,Akuma,Sparx,etc helmts instead of one Arai. Just my opinion of course.

Rider 03-20-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 20458)
I will never understand the Icon hate around here. Icon passes all of the same DOT,Snell, and/or ECU specifications that any other company does... The Motorcyclist helmet test helped me realize that when they proclaimed that a $75 AFX helmet was the safest helmet made. I used to ALWAYS buy Arai,I thought I was paying for extra head protection. Now I'd rather be able to buy two or three Scorpion,Icon,HJC,Akuma,Sparx,etc helmts instead of one Arai. Just my opinion of course.

I am by no means a gear snob, I just don't like Icon gear.. The Akuma helmets are sweet and I'd rock one, but you will never catch me in Icon gear. Oh and it doesn't help that their #1 spokesperson is a complete tool bag(Jason Britton). For me its the designs that Icon comes out with, Not my style at all. Even if they were rated the best in protection I still wouldn't own their gear...

Amber Lamps 03-20-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 20461)
I am by no means a gear snob, I just don't like Icon gear.. The Akuma helmets are sweet and I'd rock one, but you will never catch me in Icon gear. Oh and it doesn't help that their #1 spokesperson is a complete tool bag(Jason Britton). For me its the designs that Icon comes out with, Not my style at all. Even if they were rated the best in protection I still wouldn't own their gear...

Fair enough. Hey wait a minute,what do you have against Jason? I've met him a few times before he was "famous" and he was a really nice guy. He even went out with a few of us and helped us with our technique,etc. I saw him in Daytona last year but he was busy and I didn't get a chance to talk to him. Oh no what has he done....

Dave 03-20-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 20468)
Fair enough. Hey wait a minute,what do you have against Jason? I've met him a few times before he was "famous" and he was a really nice guy. He even went out with a few of us and helped us with our technique,etc. I saw him in Daytona last year but he was busy and I didn't get a chance to talk to him. Oh no what has he done....

FWIW a couple of my friends met him in philly when he was filming an ep of superbikes and said hes cool as shit

Rider 03-20-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 20468)

I think he gives legit SB riders a bad name. If somebody who doesn't ride bikes watches 1 episode of Superbikes, they are going to assume ALL SB rider are just as squidly. We don't need more negative attention that what we already have.

Amber Lamps 03-20-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 20471)
FWIW a couple of my friends met him in philly when he was filming an ep of superbikes and said hes cool as shit

Yea,he's always been super nice to me and my friends. I have an anolog pic of him doing a slow speed stand up wheelie on my 'Busa. I don't doubt that it's possible that he's done something to piss people off. He definitely loves to clown!

Amber Lamps 03-20-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 20472)
I think he gives legit SB riders a bad name. If somebody who doesn't ride bikes watches 1 episode of Superbikes, they are going to assume ALL SB rider are just as squidly. We don't need more negative attention that what we already have.

Oh no! Not the "your actions give every member of my perceived group a bad name" thing again! Didn't we just do this with Maygin? Oh well,you certainly are allowed your viewpoint my friend. I'm not sure anyone would watch a show about a bunch of middle aged white guys,in full race leathers and gear,riding sportbikes around at 5 miles below the posted speed limit,tho'...

Rider 03-20-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 20476)
Oh no! Not the "your actions give every member of my perceived group a bad name" thing again! Didn't we just do this with Maygin? Oh well,you certainly are allowed your viewpoint my friend. I'm not sure anyone would watch a show about a bunch of middle aged white guys,in full race leathers and gear,riding sportbikes around at 5 miles below the posted speed limit,tho'...

You're right, a show about the kind of riding I do would be very boring to the masses. Oh and BTW, I rarely ride UNDER the speed limit. Even my wife, who knows nothing about sportbikes or the community for that matter thinks he's a dido. The large part of that show talks about stunting, bike nights and 180 clubs and shit... A handful of guys riding through the twisties at 20-30mph over the speed limit would be boring as hell I'm sure. Thats why they don't make a show about that.