Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   High Fructose Corn Syrup Causes More Weight Gain Than Sugar (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=13906)

Apoc 03-28-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan (Post 354349)
Looking forward to hearing it.

Its nothing that complicated. Basicly, it comes down to the way your body uses carbohydrates. I dont need idiots with mice to tell me that drinking massive amounts of corn syrop will make me fat.

We have this thing called the glycemic index. Im sure a lot of people here understand what that is. Basicly, the higher the number, the faster those carbs digest and spike your blood sugar. The lower the number, the slower they digest, and your blood sugar stays much steadier.

This brings us to what happens when your blood sugar spikes. Your body stores fat. Thats why most athletes eat carb/protein and fat/protein meals, rarely mixing the three, because if you dont mix carbs and fat, and eat at regular intervals, then your body will not store any of those calories (in fat), and instead use them for energy.

So, that brings us to blaming corn sugar, and not our own eating habits. Soda for instance, is full of corn sugar. Now for the average person, a glass of soda alone in the afternoon will cause little to no harm. Thats because corn syrup isnt the problem, diet is.

Instead of enjoying that small glass of pepsi alone, an hour or so before dinner, we have it with a huge dinner, possibly multiple glasses. A dinner, that for most North Americans is very rich in protein, carbohydrated and fat.

So those two baked potatoes, which have a fairly high glycemic index themselves, smothered in extremely fatty sour cream, with a big juicy t-bone, and two glasses of soda is a recipe for immediate storage of fat. The vast majority of the calories you took in will be stored as fat, because you raised your blood sugar a point, and the bodies natural reaction at that point is to store fat.

So no, the problem isnt with corn syrop. The problem is with a lack of education on nutritional and eating habits. Corn syrop in moderation will not make you obese. Corn syrop as used in the average americans diet, will.

101lifts2 03-28-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 354380)
..... Thats why most athletes eat carb/protein and fat/protein meals, rarely mixing the three, because if you dont mix carbs and fat, and eat at regular intervals, then your body will not store any of those calories (in fat), and instead use them for energy......

Yup...this is what I do. Works well.

Nice writeup Apoc...but Avatard is still gonna tout how corn is making America fat. lol

Apoc 03-28-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 354398)

Nice writeup Apoc...but Avatard is still gonna tout how corn is making America fat. lol

Yet, Avatard will still be wrong...

Captain Morgan 03-29-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

This brings us to what happens when your blood sugar spikes. Your body stores fat. Thats why most athletes eat carb/protein and fat/protein meals, rarely mixing the three, because if you dont mix carbs and fat, and eat at regular intervals, then your body will not store any of those calories (in fat), and instead use them for energy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 354398)

Hmm, guess I have some changes to make and a lot of studying to do. I'm looking to bulk up without getting fat, but I'm not trying to get huge. I'm a severe lightweight compared to the both of you (and most people in any gym), but hope you can give some good advice to a somewhat scrawny 36 year old. :lol: I'm 5'7, 150 lbs, 20% body fat, if that gives you any ideas of what I should do. Again, I have no goals (or delusions) of being a bodybuilder or powerlifter, I just want to bulk up a bit and trim the fat below 15%. Yes, I know, they will have to be done seperately, but give me some good ideas on some good meals, please. At this point, I'd probably be happy at 160 and 15% BF, but that may change after I get to that point.

Kaneman 03-29-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

So no, the problem isnt with corn syrop. The problem is with a lack of education on nutritional and eating habits. Corn syrop in moderation will not make you obese. Corn syrop as used in the average americans diet, will.

Exactly, "as used in the average American diet", which is what we're talking about here. Corn subsidies that put it in everything we eat and drive the cost of those products down, making them much cheaper than healthy foods like a head of lettuce or a bunch of carrots.

Corn syrup is the worst way corn makes it into our food, and corn syrup has the worst effect on our bodies...yet it is in everything that the average American eats. You're talking about nutritional education.....and that's just not going to happen dude. People are idiots, and they don't give a flying fuck aside from that. Very few people will take the time to learn about what they're eating, how it affects their bodies or so on and so forth....they simply (for whatever reason) buy the cheapest and most convenient foods.

And that's what we're "rallying" against. We want variety in food, decently priced vegetables and less junk food. So in the big picture, yes, corn is very bad for you. A corn cob alone will not hurt you or make you fat....but its when you put all these pieces together that it becomes a serious problem for the American society.

AquaPython 03-29-2010 09:32 AM

seriously for you guys just trying to say that western civ. people are fat because they eat like shit, there is more to the story than your simplified perfect world answer.

Firstly Yes. western civ people do eat like shit in general. However, this is for a variety of reasons that can be a whole other discussion such as the constant bombardment for large portions of junk food in advertising, via INdirect marketing. AKA cartoon characters for any kind of craptastic sugar bomb cereal or gooey school snack (anything gooey is corn syrup, guaranteed). the characters are tested over and over again with child market test groups for the best appealing one. The kids see it and nag mommy and daddy to get them that treat until they comply. Just one facet of this, almost like cigarettes old credo : "get em early".

Secondly, the corn's role in todays food industry, starting from the gov't, all the way down to the farmers. from corn syrup's super market saturation, to corn being force fed to cattle and chicken, to the WIDE variety of corn - produced chemicals that basically fill in any remaining gaps in the supermarket aisle, that HF C syrup left.

if you DON'T know shit about this, do not sit on here typing away your preconceived thoughts on this like "the rest of the world is fat because they eat like shit" without looking at the documentaries some of us have seen, or doing other reading backing this up, such as the article posted. The fact is lots of people do not eat like shit, but unless they are OVERLY educated on the subject, even when they are trying to buy healthier, MORE EXPENSIVE, choices at a supermarket, they are still getting bamboozled.

The two docu's that we mentioned are EYE-OPENING, and may change the way you think. I encourage anybody on here arguing that this is not the case to do some reading, or watching, or any kind of research you can on the matter.

Kaneman 03-29-2010 09:37 AM

Exactly Mikey, unless you are "overly" educated you're not likely to know. And there's a reason for that, and no you don't have to put on a tin-foil hat to believe it. The companies involved simply don't want you to know, and are very good at keeping our attention on other things.

When I first started learning about nutrition I got the bulk of my info from Apoc and 101lifts over on CF. Everything they told me to do to reach whatever goals I wanted worked. 101 even shipped me a book to help out. So no doubt those guys know what they're talking about as far as how different types of food affect the body. But I'm talking about much, much more than just the way a corn kernel affects you.

shmike 03-29-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 354470)
Exactly, "as used in the average American diet", which is what we're talking about here. Corn subsidies that put it in everything we eat and drive the cost of those products down, making them much cheaper than healthy foods like a head of lettuce or a bunch of carrots.

And that's what we're "rallying" against. We want variety in food, decently priced vegetables and less junk food. So in the big picture, yes, corn is very bad for you. A corn cob alone will not hurt you or make you fat....but its when you put all these pieces together that it becomes a serious problem for the American society.

Low cost is a HUGE issue.

We have become a Wal-Mart society. Everyone wants everything cheaper but then want to bitch about quality too.

You can't have it all.

In 1901, an "urban" American family dedicated over 46% of their budget to food and beverages.

Today that number is under 12%.

You can eat cheap or you can eat well.

AquaPython 03-29-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 354530)
Low cost is a HUGE issue.

We have become a Wal-Mart society. Everyone wants everything cheaper but then want to bitch about quality too.

You can't have it all.

In 1901, an "urban" American family dedicated over 46% of their budget to food and beverages.

Today that number is under 12%.

You can eat cheap or you can eat well.

shmikey, ask yourself why is it low cost?

how is it financially feasible for the dollar menu to really exist?

Is it because corn is so cheap to mass produce?

Is it because it is so easy/ cheap to keep and grow cattle and chicken?

shmike 03-29-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPython (Post 354534)
shmikey, ask yourself why is it low cost?

how is it financially feasible for the dollar menu to really exist?

Is it because corn is so cheap to mass produce?

Is it because it is so easy/ cheap to keep and grow cattle and chicken?

I don't have to ask myself because I already know. Just because it is available and in cartoons doesn't mean you have to eat it. It is possible to avoid most if not all of the crap in today's foods. It's not quick and it's not cheap, so most people won't do it. Do you prefer when I don't space my thoughts?

AquaPython 03-29-2010 10:15 AM

i prefer you to post with the style of spacing that makes you happiest.

you can say no to whinnie the pooh selling you honey bombs, does not mean a brain washed 3 year old is going to not nag mommy and daddy. and in doing so, start a life long addiction to crap.

shmike 03-29-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPython (Post 354543)
i prefer you to post with the style of spacing that makes you happiest.

you can say no to whinnie the pooh selling you honey bombs, does not mean a brain washed 3 year old is going to not nag mommy and daddy. and in doing so, start a life long addiction to crap.

If mommy and daddy didn't depend on Winnie The Pooh & Nikelodeon to baby-sit their 3 year old, maybe he wouldn't be such a whiney, fat little brat.

Kaneman 03-29-2010 10:21 AM

Wait, is shmike agreeing or disagreeing with us? :lol:

Homeslice 03-29-2010 10:22 AM

The whole thing about dollar menus is right. Lazy ass Americans want it all.

Any of you read the ingrediants of crackers or cookies, just for kicks?

Take Wheat Thins for example. At any store, you will have the "real" Wheat Thins, and then the store's duplicate version of it, sitting right next to it.

If you compare the two, the store version will have palm oil in it. It's a cheap oil that drives up the saturated fat. So, with one "serving" of crackers you've already eaten 10% of your RDA of saturated fat. But most people are too stupid to notice, they only focus on low price.

shmike 03-29-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 354549)
Wait, is shmike agreeing or disagreeing with us? :lol:

I agree with the premise that much of our food is bad and most people don't know (or care) what is in their boxed meal as long as it is cheap.

I don't agree that there are no other choices out there.

Rider 03-29-2010 10:27 AM

That why I'm such a proponent of deer hunting. Low in fat, high in protein and you're only out the cost of a bullet and a $15 tag provided you process it yourself. Even if you pay to have it processed, it's only $100 for roughly 60lbs of meat. :rockwoot:

Kaneman 03-29-2010 10:30 AM

What are these "crackers" and "cookies" you speak of? :lol:

Have you ever grocery shopped at Wal-Mart? Whenever my wife and I would go we would always talk shit about the contents of other people's carts. To see a family of 4 with a cart packed with chips, sodas, fruit juices, ice cream and maaaaaybe a carton of eggs was the norm. That is how the average American that makes less than $30k a year shops....and they do so generally without a thought about it. I mean, it is really disgusting to see cart after cart full of absolute shit food.

The thing is, the "cheap" foods aren't really cheap at all. I mean sure, you saved $2 by buying chips instead of apples....but now you've got 3 prescriptions to fill every month and you're eating much more food than a normal healthy person would because the shit you're buying isn't satisfying your body's requirements.

Its like buying a cheap car that needs something fixed every week and ends up costing you 3x as much in the end.

Kaneman 03-29-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 354558)
I agree with the premise that much of our food is bad and most people don't know (or care) what is in their boxed meal as long as it is cheap.

I don't agree that there are no other choices out there.

Nobody is saying there aren't other choices out there, we're saying that they're very hard to come by and require a great a mount of effort to obtain. In my case, I had to learn some basic "grocery store" Spanish to be able to shop at local markets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 354559)
That why I'm such a proponent of deer hunting. Low in fat, high in protein and you're only out the cost of a bullet and a $15 tag provided you process it yourself. Even if you pay to have it processed, it's only $100 for roughly 60lbs of meat. :rockwoot:

Right on! It doesn't get much better than that.

AquaPython 03-29-2010 10:42 AM

epyon zero just posted this link this morning.
http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=13980

underscoring my point about "getting them young"

Apoc 03-29-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 354470)

Corn syrup is the worst way corn makes it into our food, and corn syrup has the worst effect on our bodies...yet it is in everything that the average American eats. You're talking about nutritional education.....and that's just not going to happen dude. People are idiots, and they don't give a flying fuck aside from that. Very few people will take the time to learn about what they're eating, how it affects their bodies or so on and so forth....they simply (for whatever reason) buy the cheapest and most convenient foods.

Nobody is forcing anyone to eat that much corn product. Its being bought hand over fist by personal choice. The problem isnt with corn, the problem is with not caring. Its mass produced BECAUSE theres such a demand for it.

Im yet to find a grocery store that doesnt give me other options. If the average person is too dumb to educate themselves, then good. Maybe they'll die off quickly and they will become extinct. (I know, I know, no chance. But I can dream)

AquaPython 03-29-2010 11:14 AM

not really apoc.

you chose to purchase beef, you are buying corn. you chose to purchase chicken, you are buying corn. lots of things you would think have nothing to do with corn, are corn. it is not someone setting out to say , hey i want to go to the grocery and buy some corn-made products.

It is all behind the scenes. and for good reason.

Kaneman 03-29-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 354585)
Nobody is forcing anyone to eat that much corn product. Its being bought hand over fist by personal choice. The problem isnt with corn, the problem is with not caring. Its mass produced BECAUSE theres such a demand for it.

Im yet to find a grocery store that doesnt give me other options. If the average person is too dumb to educate themselves, then good. Maybe they'll die off quickly and they will become extinct. (I know, I know, no chance. But I can dream)

Nobody is literally forcing them to eat the stuff at gun point under threat of violence, yes, that is correct. However, the market is completely saturated with these types of products.

Look, I don't disagree with what you're saying, but you have to work under the assumption that the average American is an uncaring idiot and go from there. You can't trust these people to adequately provide for themselves and their families and our population is becoming more and more unhealthy destroying our medical system in the process.

So, maybe instead of letting our government subsidize corn and devoting such a huge percentage of our actual land mass to growing corn we can do something else like providing incentives to farmers who want to grow broccoli or allow their livestock/poultry/pigs to graze freely, or so on and so forth.

There is a better way of producing food in the U.S.

shmike 03-29-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPython (Post 354592)
not really apoc.

you chose to purchase beef, you are buying corn. you chose to purchase chicken, you are buying corn. lots of things you would think have nothing to do with corn, are corn. it is not someone setting out to say , hey i want to go to the grocery and buy some corn-made products.

Apoc is right, aquapython is wrong.

Beef is beef.

Chicken is chicken.

What those animals were fed is a different argument.

Kaneman 03-29-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 354597)
Apoc is right, aquapython is wrong.

Beef is beef.

Chicken is chicken.

What those animals were fed is a different argument.

When the product in question (corn) is making the animals you're eating (beef) sick and unhealthy to the point of near death before you eat them, then I argue what those animals were fed is actually a very significant part of the same argument, and not a different argument as you are saying.

shmike 03-29-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 354600)
When the product in question (corn) is making the animals you're eating (beef) sick and unhealthy to the point of near death before you eat them, then I argue what those animals were fed is actually a very significant part of the same argument, and not a different argument as you are saying.

I posted about the side effects of a corn diet pages ago. I don't think there is any debate on that part of the discussion.

Telling someone that their t-bone is "corn" is just a little misleading.

The point of this discussion is to clear confusion not add to it.

AquaPython 03-29-2010 11:44 AM

shmike is wrong because i have decreed in it multi-line spacing argument.

I should clarify, though. When i say you are eating corn, by eating beef, it is a function of the food chain. have you ever heard the phrase "you are what you eat" ? this phrase is not so far from the truth.

Kaneman mentioned before that "old school" corn was better he was right. There used to be a WIDE variety of corn species up until around the 1930's. Most of this corn was an amazing produce. Very high in essential vitamins , minerals , nutrients, etc. This is why ancient native american cultures praised and even prayed to / about corn or "Maize" (sp?). However, as farming became industrial, and the country looked for ways to feed itself, and avoid starving epidemics like what happened in the great depression and the dust bowl, America started to turn to corn. The corn strain that was eventually singled out the favored seed, was a corn that was pretty much nutritionally garbage, unbeknown to farmers and the like. It's saving grace was that it was able to grow VERY close to itself. Meaning tightly packed corn stalks, meaning MORE food per Square Acre.
This Strain became the dominant strain of corn, and basically lead to the extinction of all of the other types of corn that used to be around.

So now fast forward to today, you have all of these cattle in pens eating nothing but bullshit corn. Compare a piece of Beef now from one of these cows to a piece of Beef from a natural, grass eating, range roaming cow. I don't remember off hand the exact numbers but paraphrasing, the "modern" beef has 70% less protein and 250% more fat.

now, factor in other things from these processed animals, such as the hormones and chemicals used to make the cows larger and "healthier". The chemicals such as phosphorous and nitrogen that they literally inject the earth with so that the corn grows larger, and closer together (4 times more corn can be grown on the same land now as compared to 50 years ago). The disgusting living conditions leading to massive amounts of pathogens in the food. Have you noticed the increasing amounts of meat recalls, and poisonings over the last decade?
The whole system is fucked.

Apoc 03-29-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

not really apoc.

In case you didnt know, what they were fed does not change the micro and macro nutritional value of the meat. Your not going to find HFCS in your meat because the cow your eating had some corn in its diet. I dont understand what your arguement is? The meat might be a little fatter if it was overfed, but thats why you buy leaner cuts.

Is it that im supporting the production of corn by buying meat that is corn fed? In that sense, I dont care. Just like I dont care if the pork I eat had a small baby for its last meal. As long as its still yummy, it really doesnt effect me.

I know i'll get 'oh, the cows are fed drugs to keep them healthy.' But I dont care about that either. None of that directly affects me, no matter what people are force feeding down your throat. The steroids they are given, are just increased amounts of normal hormones within their body, nothing that isnt already found in them. This gives us bigger, stronger, better beef. It doesnt make the meat any worse for you, in any way.

I still say that the problem of obesity lies directly on the person who is obese. If your three hundred pounds over fucking weight, and have no ambition to educate yourself, and lose weight, then quite frankly, fuck ya, I hope the massive heart attack comes sooner than later.

The only way that less corn will be produced and other, is if you guys as a society, stop buying so much of it in product, not in corn fed product.

shmike 03-29-2010 11:48 AM

And now Apoc is wrong. :lol:

AquaPython 03-29-2010 11:49 AM

actually it quite significantly effects the nutritional value of the meat, as i posted just before you.

again, do some research on this stuff before you post up what you THINK is true or untrue.

Apoc 03-29-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPython (Post 354605)

So now fast forward to today, you have all of these cattle in pens eating nothing but bullshit corn. Compare a piece of Beef now from one of these cows to a piece of Beef from a natural, grass eating, range roaming cow. I don't remember off hand the exact numbers but paraphrasing, the "modern" beef has 70% less protein and 250% more fat.

Hahahahaha, no, there is not 70% less protein in meat, and 250% more fat today than before. Thats the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. The genetic makeup of meat doesnt change because of corn. The amount of protein in an ounce of lean beef is still the same as it was 40 years ago, and 400 years ago.

You guys are living on a shit ton of myths with no basis behind them. Hearsay and foolishness.

Sean 03-29-2010 11:52 AM

Whole Foods is a convenient source of grass-fed beef. I know they have organic / free range chicken but I don't know what it's fed. Trader Joe's has good stuff too.

Grass-fed beef tastes totally different. I can't see how caged animals would have the same muscle development that free-range animals do.

AquaPython 03-29-2010 11:52 AM

APOC - or anyone else.

prove it. you have a link or a study to show that this data is incorrect, from a source that is not directly supported by a food company. post it. i would love to read it.

Apoc 03-29-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 354609)
And now Apoc is wrong. :lol:

No, im not. A lean cut of meat from corn fed beef has the same nutrtional value as beef thats fed the greenest grass. The fattest cuts will undoubtledly have more fat, but you shouldnt be buying those anyway.

Its not about what the beef is fed, its about the cuts you buy, the amount you eat, etc etc.

Blaming the food industry for fat people, is like blaming the weather man because its raining. Corn fed, chemical grown beef is not killing Americans. Overeating is.

Apoc 03-29-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPython (Post 354617)
prove it. you have a link or a study to show that this data is incorrect, from a source that is not directly supported by a food company. post it. i would love to read it.

The proof? 100 grams of lean beef has 36 grams of protein. Thats universal, thats every cow ever raised, because that is the chemical composition of beef. That is the way the amino acids link together in their DNA. Chicken has 30 grams per 100. Thats every chicken breast, ever, throughout the world, in that range (+-1 gram). It doesnt matter where you buy your cuts, this is a constant.

Kaneman 03-29-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 354622)
The proof? 100 grams of lean beef has 36 grams of protein. Thats universal, thats every cow ever raised, because that is the chemical composition of beef. That is the way the amino acids link together in their DNA. Chicken has 30 grams per 100. Thats every chicken breast, ever, throughout the world, in that range (+-1 gram). It doesnt matter where you buy your cuts, this is a constant.

There's more to meat than just protein content. :lol:

Apoc 03-29-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 354624)
There's more to meat than just protein content. :lol:

Nobody is saying there isnt, he said that that cuts of meat have 75% less protein then they did before, and its just not true. The vast majority of the other 64 grams is water.

AquaPython 03-29-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 354622)

are you getting that from something like calorie King ? it seems to me that you are getting this information on a study of available beef, and concluding on your own that this universal, and historically accurate. again, post your sources.

AquaPython 03-29-2010 12:09 PM

are you going to tell me that the average chicken breast is not 4 times larger than they were in the 1930's, or that captive Turkeys are so fucking fat they would die and not procreate if it was not STRICTLY for artificial insemination?

Apoc 03-29-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPython (Post 354626)
are you getting that from something like calorie King ? it seems to me that you are getting this information on a study of available beef, and concluding on your own that this universal, and historically accurate. again, post your sources.

Im getting that from th numerous books I read and researched on the subject when I was bodybuilding. I have never seen, or even fucking know what a calorie king is. I got my info from the work of the best nutritionists in the world. Gerard Dente, Chris Janusz (that might be spelled wrong), bruce sweeney, and many others.

Buy 'Macrobolic Nutrition', its the simplest for people who dont know their shit to learn from.

Apoc 03-29-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPython (Post 354627)
are you going to tell me that the average chicken breast is not 4 times larger than they were in the 1930's, or that captive Turkeys are so fucking fat they would die and not procreate if it was not STRICTLY for artificial insemination?

NO, I AM NOT TELLING YOU THE AVERAGE CHICKEN BREAST ISNT LARGER.

Im telling you that for 100 fucking grams of chicken breast, there is 30 grams of protein. Is it really that hard to understand?

AquaPython 03-29-2010 12:17 PM

i believe you about the current stats. what i don't see is evidence supporting your theory that it has always been that way.

Apoc 03-29-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPython (Post 354635)
i believe you about the current stats. what i don't see is evidence supporting your theory that it has always been that way.

you dont understand, it doesnt vary, its DNA makeup. A cow from a line of grain fed animals in a mountain somewhere, will have the same numerical breakdown that one in a barn forcefed corn has, cut for cut. The percentages will be the same. Unless we change their DNA, a lean cut of beef has always had, and will always have, 36 grams of protein per 100 grams of lean beef. Its a constant. Its the way their muscles form.

Now if you want to compare overall fat percentages, at live weight, then yes, you will find that the BF% of todays beef is much higher. But that doesnt change the composition of its muscle itself.

Homeslice 03-29-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPython (Post 354617)
APOC - or anyone else.

Shouldn't the burden of proof be on you, since you made the original claim?

Protein levels dropping 70%........Dude........That would be instant death for any animal. Imagine taking all your muscle tissue, and cutting it by 70%.

Apoc 03-29-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 354640)

Protein levels dropping 70%........Dude........That would be instant death for any animal. Imagine taking all your muscle tissue, and cutting it by 70%.

Ya, common sense would tell you that. But they prefer to blame the governement then themselves.

AquaPython 03-29-2010 12:34 PM

ok - i will not address the instant death argument, you are too much dude.

however,
i can and have provided information on here, or sources for it.

there are tons of articles on this stuff, here is good one for starters.
http://www.foodrevolution.org/grassfedbeef.htm

i am looking for the fat / protein thing is writing, but as i said, i paraphrased it from memory. it was from the documentary i posted "King Corn".

Apoc 03-29-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPython (Post 354643)
ok - i will not address the instant death argument, you are too much dude.

however,
i can and have provided information on here, or sources for it.

there are tons of articles on this stuff, here is good one for starters.
http://www.foodrevolution.org/grassfedbeef.htm

i am looking for the fat / protein thing is writing, but as i said, i paraphrased it from memory. it was from the documentary i posted "King Corn".

There is nothign there citing that beef has less protein when fed corn then when fed grass, nothing at all.

It talks about fats, and like I said above, yes, at live weight, a cow has much m. higher body fat percentage than a grass fed one will. Nobody is arguing that fact.

But, when you skin that beef, the vast majority of it it trimmed off, or attached to cuts you shouldnt be eating much of anyway. The ribs and back being the biggest culprit. When you look at these cuts, you see that there is inch thick veins of fat throughtout them. Grassfed beef will show quite a bit less of this fat, we agree on that. But our arguement is about lean meat. And lean meat will always have 36 grams of protein per 100 grams, and very negligible amounts of fat. You get much more of this lean meat off a bigger cow, making it more profitable and much faster to raise.

There is no too much about it. If a species lost 70% of its protein over 80 years, it would not survive, its that simple.

AquaPython 03-29-2010 01:40 PM

well the lean meat part is your argument. i just said beef originally. i am not arguing that different cuts of beef are leaner than others, i think it is common sense.

but you did say that
Quote:

it doesnt vary, its DNA makeup. A cow from a line of grain fed animals in a mountain somewhere, will have the same numerical breakdown that one in a barn forcefed corn has, cut for cut. The percentages will be the same. Unless we change their DNA, a lean cut of beef has always had, and will always have, 36 grams of protein per 100 grams of lean beef. Its a constant. Its the way their muscles form.
however, if you look at the page i posted, or this except
Quote:

Grain fed beef has more Omega-6, compared to the Omega-3 in the same meat. As mentioned earlier, when these two fatty acids is out of nutritional balance in a food that is consumed, it is not healthy for the body. This is a major difference between these two types of beef and tips the scale for health in the direction of grass fed.

Grain fed beef has a lot more saturated fat than grass fed beef. Saturated fat is, of course, a known factor in heart disease development. Reducing saturated fat in the diet is a good thing and grass fed beef can help.

Grain fed beef has less CLA, or Conjugated Linoleic Acid. CLA has been shown to reduce body fat, help with weight loss, increase metabolic rate, help to lower insulin resistance and cholesterol, among other health benefits.

Grass fed beef excels nutritionally in vitamin A, E and Beta Cartotene, over grain fed beef.

Grass fed beef is nutritionally superior to grain fed, for these reasons and more.

Learn more about why grain diets, in cattle and humans, are not healthy here

Some labeling can be deceptive too. In fact, most labeling can be which is why I suggest going to the website of the company, and asking some direct questions. For example, free range doesn't necessarily mean grass fed. It can mean that cattle are kept in small pastures and fed grain. Cage-free is one often used with chicken and it can just mean that the chickens were kept in crowded, tiny pens instead of cages.

from http://www.askahealer.com/grain-fed-beef.htm

there are obviously vast differences in the chemical make up of these animals muscle tissues.

i will try and find some written documentation on fats / proteins, but in the time, i again challenge you guys to come up with ONE iota of contrary data.

AquaPython 03-29-2010 01:43 PM

sorry it appears i was off by 3.33%

fats and more data:
Quote:

Summary of Important Health Benefits of Grassfed Meats, Eggs and Dairy

Lower in Fat and Calories. There are a number of nutritional differences between the meat of pasture-raised and feedlot-raised animals. To begin with, meat from grass-fed cattle, sheep, and bison is lower in total fat. If the meat is very lean, it can have one third as much fat as a similar cut from a grain-fed animal. In fact, as you can see by the graph below, grass-fed beef can have the same amount of fat as skinless chicken breast, wild deer, or elk.[1] Research shows that lean beef actually lowers your "bad" LDL cholesterol levels.[2]
Data from J. Animal Sci 80(5):1202-11.
Because meat from grass-fed animals is lower in fat than meat from grain-fed animals, it is also lower in calories. (Fat has 9 calories per gram, compared with only 4 calories for protein and carbohydrates. The greater the fat content, the greater the number of calories.) As an example, a 6-ounce steak from a grass-finished steer can have 100 fewer calories than a 6-ounce steak from a grain-fed steer. If you eat a typical amount of beef (66.5 pounds a year), switching to lean grassfed beef will save you 17,733 calories a year—without requiring any willpower or change in your eating habits. If everything else in your diet remains constant, you'll lose about six pounds a year. If all Americans switched to grassfed meat, our national epidemic of obesity might diminish.
In the past few years, producers of grass-fed beef have been looking for ways to increase the amount of marbling in the meat so that consumers will have a more familiar product. But even these fatter cuts of grass-fed beef are lower in fat and calories than beef from grain-fed cattle.
Extra Omega-3s. Meat from grass-fed animals has two to four times more omega-3 fatty acids than meat from grain- fed animals. Omega-3s are called "good fats" because they play a vital role in every cell and system in your body. For example, of all the fats, they are the most heart-friendly. People who have ample amounts of omega-3s in their diet are less likely to have high blood pressure or an irregular heartbeat. Remarkably, they are 50 percent less likely to suffer a heart attack.[3] Omega-3s are essential for your brain as well. People with a diet rich in omega-3s are less likely to suffer from depression, schizophrenia, attention deficit disorder (hyperactivity), or Alzheimer's disease.[4]
Another benefit of omega-3s is that they may reduce your risk of cancer. In animal studies, these essential fats have slowed the growth of a wide array of cancers and also kept them from spreading.[5] Although the human research is in its infancy, researchers have shown that omega-3s can slow or even reverse the extreme weight loss that accompanies advanced cancer and also hasten recovery from surgery.[6,7]
Omega-3s are most abundant in seafood and certain nuts and seeds such as flaxseeds and walnuts, but they are also found in animals raised on pasture. The reason is simple. Omega-3s are formed in the chloroplasts of green leaves and algae. Sixty percent of the fatty acids in grass are omega-3s. When cattle are taken off omega-3 rich grass and shipped to a feedlot to be fattened on omega-3 poor grain, they begin losing their store of this beneficial fat. Each day that an animal spends in the feedlot, its supply of omega-3s is diminished.[8] The graph below illustrates this steady decline.
Data from: J Animal Sci (1993) 71(8):2079-88.
When chickens are housed indoors and deprived of greens, their meat and eggs also become artificially low in omega-3s. Eggs from pastured hens can contain as much as 10 times more omega-3s than eggs from factory hens.[9]
It has been estimated that only 40 percent of Americans consume an adequate supply of omega-3 fatty acids. Twenty percent have blood levels so low that they cannot be detected.[10] Switching to the meat, milk, and dairy products of grass-fed animals is one way to restore this vital nutrient to your diet.
The CLA Bonus. Meat and dairy products from grass-fed ruminants are the richest known source of another type of good fat called "conjugated linoleic acid" or CLA. When ruminants are raised on fresh pasture alone, their products contain from three to five times more CLA than products from animals fed conventional diets.[11] (A steak from the most marbled grass-fed animals will have the most CLA ,as much of the CLA is stored in fat cells.)
CLA may be one of our most potent defenses against cancer. In laboratory animals, a very small percentage of CLA—a mere 0.1 percent of total calories—greatly reduced tumor growth. [12] There is new evidence that CLA may also reduce cancer risk in humans. In a Finnish study, women who had the highest levels of CLA in their diet, had a 60 percent lower risk of breast cancer than those with the lowest levels. Switching from grain-fed to grassfed meat and dairy products places women in this lowest risk category.13 Researcher Tilak Dhiman from Utah State University estimates that you may be able to lower your risk of cancer simply by eating the following grassfed products each day: one glass of whole milk, one ounce of cheese, and one serving of meat. You would have to eat five times that amount of grain-fed meat and dairy products to get the same level of protection.
Vitamin E. In addition to being higher in omega-3s and CLA, meat from grassfed animals is also higher in vitamin E. The graph below shows vitamin E levels in meat from: 1) feedlot cattle, 2) feedlot cattle given high doses of synthetic vitamin E (1,000 IU per day), and 3) cattle raised on fresh pasture with no added supplements. The meat from the pastured cattle is four times higher in vitamin E than the meat from the feedlot cattle and, interestingly, almost twice as high as the meat from the feedlot cattle given vitamin E supplements. [14#] In humans, vitamin E is linked with a lower risk of heart disease and cancer. This potent antioxidant may also have anti-aging properties. Most Americans are deficient in vitamin E.
Data from: Smith, G.C. "Dietary supplementation of vitamin E to cattle to improve shelf life and case life of beef for domestic and international markets." Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523-1171

Homeslice 03-29-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 354616)
Whole Foods is a convenient source of grass-fed beef. I know they have organic / free range chicken but I don't know what it's fed. Trader Joe's has good stuff too.

Grass-fed beef tastes totally different. I can't see how caged animals would have the same muscle development that free-range animals do.

And that's another thing. If its true that grass-fed meat is demonstratably better, I'm willing to bet it's mostly because grass-fed cows are allowed to roam free, thus burning fat, getting some sun and fresh air, and preventing their muscles from atrophy. It isn't because grass is sooooooooooooo much healthier than corn.

Rider 03-29-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 354690)
And that's another thing. If its true that grass-fed meat is demonstratably better, I'm willing to bet it's mostly because grass-fed cows are allowed to roam free, thus burning fat, getting some sun and fresh air, and preventing their muscles from atrophy. It isn't because grass is sooooooooooooo much healthier than corn.

Uh yeah because they can also use grass as a cheap sweetener... :lol

AquaPython 03-29-2010 03:07 PM

still think all beef is created equal, and the consumer just has to not choose sweet snacks?

read up. I am still waiting for some contrary info.

Quote:

Grass-Fed Beef: The Superior Protein

Tagged:
Protein is a major source of energy in the human diet, accounting for 10-20% of all calories consumed. Adequate dietary protein intake is critical for the maintenance of normal body function. Protein serves many purposes and is needed for the growth, maintenance and repair of all cells in the body. Protein is a building block for muscle, organs and other vital tissues throughout the body. Finally, protein serves to aid metabolism, digestion and the transport of nutrients and oxygen in the bloodstream.
The Dietary Reference Intake for protein set forth by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) is to eat 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight. This works out to about 36 grams of protein per day for every 100 pounds of weight. Therefore, a 200-pound person needs to eat about 72 grams of protein each day.
One of the best sources of protein in the diet is beef. Depending on the cut, a 3-ounce serving of beef contains 20-25 grams of protein. Furthermore, the protein in beef is “complete protein”, which means it contains all of the amino acids needed for the body to make muscle tissue, hormones, red blood cells and other substances. In contrast, incomplete proteins contain some amino acids, but the missing amino acids must be eaten from other food sources in order to form a complete protein. Although beef is a rich source of complete proteins in the diet, it should be consumed in moderation, since eating too much protein from animal sources may increase the amount of cholesterol and triglycerides in the bloodstream.
Not all beef has the same nutritional profile. The cattle used to produce beef have traditionally been fed diets of grain. However, many farms are switching from grain-fed to grass-fed beef because of the numerous proven benefits to human health.
Overall, grass-fed cattle are healthier than grain-fed cattle. The livers of grain-fed cattle have a 30-fold increase in abscesses, 8-fold more blood vessel disorders and a 3-fold greater frequency of liver contamination (Roberts 1982). Many clinical studies have compared the nutritional content of grass-fed to grain-fed beef. Beef from grass-fed cattle has been shown to have better overall quality in terms of color, lipid oxidation and alpha-tocopherol levels than beef from maize-fed cattle (O’Sullivan 2002). This study found that maize-fed beef had the poorest color while grass-fed beef had the best. Lipid oxidation, which has negative impact on beef flavor, color, and nutritional value, was highest in maize-fed beef and lowest in grass-fed beef. Alpha-tocopherol concentrations (the form of whole food vitamin E that is preferentially absorbed in humans) were also highest in grass-fed beef and lowest in maize-fed beef.
The amount and types of fat contained in grass-fed beef are also superior. Concentrations of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an essential fatty acid, were greatest in the grass-fed beef and lowest in maize-fed beef. Numerous other studies have confirmed the superior fatty acid profile of grass-fed beef, including higher levels of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), another type of healthy fat, vaccenic acid, a naturally-occurring fatty acid with distinct health benefits, omega 3 fatty acids, an unsaturated fat that reduces coronary heart disease risk and lower levels of total fat, saturated fat and trans fat (Hebeisen 1993, Leheska 2008, Ponnampalam 2006). Grass-fed beef also has twice the amount of beta-carotene as grain-fed beef. When consumed, beta-carotene is converted to vitamin A in the body, where it helps to maintain normal vision, reproductive function and bone health.
Based on these research findings, there are numerous health benefits to be enjoyed from regularly consuming grass-fed beef. The USDA reports that the average American consumes 67 pounds of beef each year (Davis 2005). Because of the lower fat content and therefore fewer calories in grass-fed beef, switching from grain-fed to grass-fed beef can result in 6 pounds of fat loss per year, with no other changes in diet or activity levels.
Consumption of essential fatty acids, especially omega-3 fatty acids lowers blood pressure and reduces the risk for heart disease, cancer, mental disorders and autoimmune diseases. Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant and helps to lower heart disease and cancer risk and has anti-aging properties. High CLA intake lowers cancer risk due to its strong antioxidant properties and may lower body fat levels, especially in the abdomen. Beta-carotene, another antioxidant, serves to protect against tumor growth and cancer risk. Diets low in saturated and trans-fats can reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. Lower intake of these fats also reduces the risk for chronic diseases such as heart disease, blood vessel disease, cancer, diabetes and obesity.
Overall, numerous research studies have proven that grass-fed beef is the superior protein because it contains high levels of complete protein and, unlike grain-fed beef, contains antioxidants and healthy fatty acids that serve to protect against chronic disease. The natural phytonutrients rich diet of grass fed beef is definitely not withstanding.

Dr. Linda Kennedy MS SLP ND

References
Christopher G. Davis and Biing-Hwan Lin. Factors Affecting U.S. Beef Consumption. United States Department of Agriculture. 2005, http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications.../ldpm13502.pdf
Hebeisen DF, Hoeflin F, Reusch HP, Junker E, Lauterburg BH. Increased concentrations of omega-3 fatty acids in milk and platelet rich plasma of grass-fed cows. Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 1993;63(3):229-33
Leheska JM, Thompson LD, Howe JC, Hentges E, Boyce J, Brooks JC, Shriver B, Hoover L, Miller MF. Effects of conventional and grass-feeding systems on the nutrient composition of beef. J Anim Sci. 2008 Dec;86(12):3575-85. Epub 2008 Jul 18
O'Sullivan A, O'Sullivan K, Galvin K, Moloney AP, Troy DJ, Kerry JP. Grass silage versus maize silage effects on retail packaged beef quality. J Anim Sci. 2002 Jun;80(6):1556-63
Ponnampalam EN, Mann NJ, Sinclair AJ. Effect of feeding systems on omega-3 fatty acids, conjugated linoleic acid and trans fatty acids in Australian beef cuts: potential impact on human health. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2006;15(1):21-9
Roberts JL. The prevalence and economic significance of liver disorders and contamination in grain-fed and grass-fed cattle. Aust Vet J. 1982 Nov;59(5):129-32

Homeslice 03-29-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 354705)
Uh yeah because they can also use grass as a cheap sweetener... :lol

Again, you guys are brining HFCS into this.........its a totally separate argument. Does HFCS suck, yes, we get that..........But a cow's body doesn't manufacture HFCS from the corn it eats. HFCS is man-made.

THERE IS NO FUCKING HFCS IN BEEF.

Rider 03-29-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 354720)
Again, you guys are brining HFCS into this.........its a totally separate argument. Does HFCS suck, yes, we get that..........But a cow's body doesn't manufacture HFCS from the corn it eats. HFCS is man-made.

THERE IS NO FUCKING HFCS IN BEEF.

Right but it causes the cows to be fatter, making the beef have a higher fat content.

Homeslice 03-29-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 354721)
Right but it causes the cows to be fatter, making the beef have a higher fat content.

True......but the beef they sell at a store has the fat trimmed off, according to the level of quality you're willing to pay for. You want shit beef, you get shit beef. You want lower-fat beef, you have to pay extra. That's the way it's always been. You guys are acting like you could buy lower-fat beef years ago than you can today. :bs:

shmike 03-29-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 354724)
True......but the beef they sell at a store has the fat trimmed off, according to the level of quality you're willing to pay for. You want shit beef, you get shit beef. You want lower-fat beef, you have to pay extra. That's the way it's always been. You guys are acting like you could buy lower-fat beef years ago than you can today. :bs:

Not me.

I said you can still buy it today but it certainly isn't as common as before.

Did you read any of the info posted about how cows don't process corn well and how it affects their bodies?

To me those side effects are much more serious than fat content.

Rider 03-29-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 354724)

In certain cuts, the fat is too "marbled" to trim away. Sure in ground beef you can choose the amount of fat you want but in roasts and ribs, you're just getting more fat. Same amount of beef but you are paying more because the overall weight is higher.

AquaPython 03-29-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 354726)
In certain cuts, the fat is too "marbled" to trim away. Sure in ground beef you can choose the amount of fat you want but in roasts and ribs, you're just getting more fat. Same amount of beef but you are paying more because the overall weight is higher.

thank you!
you can not just "trim away" fat for leaner cuts!

Homeslice 03-29-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 354725)
Not me.

I said you can still buy it today but it certainly isn't as common as before.

Did you read any of the info posted about how cows don't process corn well and how it affects their bodies?

To me those side effects are much more serious than fat content.

Alright fair enough, if you are talking about grassfed's superior Omega 3 and CLA and such....... that's a legitmate point.

shmike 03-29-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 354728)
Alright fair enough, if you are talking about grassfed's superior Omega 3 and CLA and such....... that's a legitmate point.

That and grass fed cows not dieing from diarrhea, ulcers, bloat, liver disease and a general weakening of the immune system that leaves the animal vulnerable to everything from pneumonia to feedlot polio.

AquaPython 03-29-2010 04:01 PM

And the protein part :

Quote:

Dietary Protein:
Grass fed beef, due to it’s inherent leaner nature, can also be considered a high protein food (Figure 2). In looking at the percent protein consumed as a percent of total energy consumed, it is found grass fed beef averages 76.5% protein by total energy, as compared to typical USDA Choice+ grain fed beef which averages only 48.9% protein by energy. As a further contrast, fatty ground beef offers only 20.3% protein by energy. Many recent human studies clearly show that isocaloric replacement of dietary fat by lean protein has numerous health promoting effects.
Research trials involving human dietary intervention have demonstrated favorable impacts of lean, animal based protein upon blood lipid parameters. Studies showing the isocaloric substitution of protein (23% energy) for carbohydrate in hypercholesterolemic subjects yielded significant decreases in total, LDL and VLDL cholesterol, and triglycerides, while HDL cholesterol increased [90]. Favorable changes in blood lipids have also been observed in normal healthy subjects [91], as well as significant improvements in obese patients [94-100]. In addition, patients with type II diabetes have seen both favorable impacts on blood lipids coupled with improvement in glucose and insulin metabolism [92-93]. Although the mechanism of action for producing favorable blood lipid chemistry is not clear, studies indicate it may be through the inhibition of hepatic VLDL synthesis, perhaps by altering apoprotein synthesis and assembly in the liver [101].
Another positive impact of increased dietary protein intake is the observational lowering of blood pressure [102-104]. A number of randomized controlled trials have shown that increased dietary protein from soy [105-107], mixed dietary sources [100] or from lean red meat [108] can significantly lower blood pressure.
In summarizing studies conducted by Dr. Loren Cordain and others, Dr. Cordain states that “high protein diets have been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and glycemic control (94, 96, 99, 109-111) while promoting greater weight loss (95, 98, 99, 112, 113) and improved long term sustained weight maintenance (114, 115) when compared with low fat, high-carbohydrate calorie restricted diets. The weight loss superiority of higher protein, calorie restricted diets over either calorie restricted (low fat/ high carbohydrate) diets or calorie restricted (high fat/low carbohydrate) appears to be caused by the greater satiety value of protein compared to either fat or carbohydrate (112, 115-118). Of the three macronutrients (protein, fat, carbohydrate), protein causes the greatest release of a gut hormone (PYY) that reduces hunger (118) while simultaneously improving central nervous system sensitivity to leptin (112), another hormone that controls appetite and body weight regulation.”

as taken from this research work:
http://www.thebloomagency.com/stagin...assFedBeef.pdf

see the graph in the PDF

Apoc 03-29-2010 06:00 PM

Aqua, we agree on the profile of fats in grass fed vs corn fed beef, noone is arguing about that.

But the article your showing is looking at overall percentages of the whole beef. If you scroll up and read, I specificly said that ribs/back/certain other cuts DEFINATELY have more fat content than grass fed would, but that the leaner cuts are virtually the same. I think were disagreeing on different things.

I also said that corn fed have a much higher bodyfat percentage than grass fed. Its inevitable. We know that.

But lean cuts still have the same protein as non lean cuts.

What that article is saying, is that there is less of a percentage of protein than there was before. This is true, because the body fat is much higher. So yes, if you look at overall mass of the animal, it carries far less protein overall than grass fed. Its twisting numbers to make a point, but its also not the most effective way to look at the numbers.

But, lean cut for lean cut, they are virtually the same, aside from a couple of extra grams of fat, which goes back to my original port about HCFS and glycemic index. There is nothing wrong with that fat, if your eating correctly and seperating carbs and fat in your meals.

It goes back to one thing, personal choices. Its not the beef your eating that makes you fat. Its the whole structure of what constitutes a meal in North America. HCFS is not making america fat, greed is.

101lifts2 03-30-2010 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 354559)

How do you know that deer wasn't tappin into the corn fields?:lol

101lifts2 03-30-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

not really apoc.

Dude..there is nothing wrong with corn for the 100th time. And if the livestock are eating corn and you are getting beef from it, then so what? Is the beef full of corn? :lol I mean seriously this isn't hard.

Most people understand that junk food makes them fat, but they really do not care all that much. Really they don't and this is the underlying issue.

101lifts2 03-30-2010 12:48 AM

I've read what everyone has wrote and have come to a few conclusions: In regards to what Aqua and Apoc are arguing regarding protein content, Apoc is correct in saying that the actual protein is almost the same (minus the fat content) and that there will be more protein in a grass free range animal vs. a caged corn fed one. True..BUT...you have to understand as well that the amino profile in free range grass fed cattle are higher than corn fed. So...there are more complete proteins in grass fed cattle, then corn fed. How much? I don't know without researching it. This does not mean there is more protein, just the profile is different. It is like a gallon of 87 octance vs. a gallon of 89 octane fuel. Same amount, different profile.

The other topic that corn is making us fat depends on how you catergoize people. If you view people as individuals, then no. If you view people as sheep, then yes. I tend to look at people as individuals (even though they are really sheep) and once educated, will learn. If they do not wish to learn, then fuck em. No sympthany from me.

Rider 03-30-2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 354883)
How do you know that deer wasn't tappin into the corn fields?:lol

The deer I hunt are on private land that is surrounded by state land that has no corn fields. They eat the Alfalfa that is planted for them.

AquaPython 03-30-2010 09:36 AM

We got a little lost in the details.

Apoc we seem to agree on most things as you said. If the article is talking about % of protein to body mass, that makes sense. But that also may only be one study.

My main point was that HFCS is part of a much larger problem with corn, and further, the food industry. I posted the one sentence about fats and proteins and you guys decided to jump on it. That's ok , i feel i backed the statement up with decent supporting evidence, as was asked.
But i just want to point out that even in the articles i posted, and others and myself commented on, there are MANY problems with feedlot beef, beyond the corn, such as the pathogens, and the antibiotics that make it possible, etc etc....

Adeptus_Minor 03-30-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 354924)
The deer I hunt are on private land that is surrounded by state land that has no corn fields. They eat the Alfalfa that is planted for them.

We feed the deer on our land just a little corn.
It's great for making them stand in one place while we feed them bullets. :lol:

(and no, they aren't the least bit tame... they just like their corn enough to take risks coming out into the open. :wink:)

Apoc 03-30-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPython (Post 354961)
We got a little lost in the details.

Apoc we seem to agree on most things as you said. If the article is talking about % of protein to body mass, that makes sense. But that also may only be one study.

Ya, you were looking at the profile of the whole beef, and I was talking about the profile of the meat itself, which is why I was talking about Amino Acids and DNA profiles. Had I understood what you were talking about, I would have stopped arguing long ago. But its hard to determine who's right when your arguing about totally different things :lol:

AquaPython 03-30-2010 12:36 PM

its the goddam internets!

Apoc 03-30-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPython (Post 355159)
its the goddam internets!

I blame Obama!

And to a lesser extent, Al Gore!

AquaPython 03-30-2010 12:44 PM

Obama and Gore, both eat corn in feedlots!

101lifts2 03-30-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 354924)

I was joking.

Corn's danger to our health extends beyond the fattening nature of HFCS.

Grass fed livestock has Omega 3 oils. Corn fed does not. Just this change alone in what we feed our livestock has marked the single biggest health "experiment" [read: gamble] ever undertaken with the public as the fucking guinea pig. Even farmed fish now is being fed this shit, and now (not surprisingly) has almost no fucking useful oils in it anymore either.

Welcome to the big corn experiment.

Take a fucking supplement, or you may die.

101lifts2 04-04-2010 10:00 PM

10 fish oil tabs a day....

EpyonXero 04-05-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 357218)

Does that keep your coat nice and shiny?

Homeslice 04-05-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 357218)

10?

Damn..........How many mg each?

Apoc 04-05-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 357144)
Corn's danger to our health extends beyond the fattening nature of HFCS.

Grass fed livestock has Omega 3 oils. Corn fed does not. Just this change alone in what we feed our livestock has marked the single biggest health "experiment" [read: gamble] ever undertaken with the public as the fucking guinea pig. Even farmed fish now is being fed this shit, and now (not surprisingly) has almost no fucking useful oils in it anymore either.

Welcome to the big corn experiment.

Take a fucking supplement, or you may die.

Dude, corn fed livestock isnt the reason for obesity, people eating pure shit for food, and not exercising is. If you cant eat healthy, and take 45-60 minutes out of your busy day to exercise, then really, theres noone to blame but you.

I played 18 holes of golf this morning, ended up meeting 3 others on the tee and played with them. One of them went back to the clubhouse at the turn to eat, and skipped the back 9, after almost crawling up the hill to the clubhouse. 2 hours of liesurely walking and hitting golf balls, and he couldnt finish his round. Obesity is an epidemic, and its from a lazy, lethargic, uneducated society. Not from corn.

AquaPython 04-05-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 357425)
Dude, corn fed livestock isnt the reason for obesity, people eating pure shit for food, and not exercising is. If you cant eat healthy, and take 45-60 minutes out of your busy day to exercise, then really, theres noone to blame but you.

I played 18 holes of golf this morning, ended up meeting 3 others on the tee and played with them. One of them went back to the clubhouse at the turn to eat, and skipped the back 9, after almost crawling up the hill to the clubhouse. 2 hours of liesurely walking and hitting golf balls, and he couldnt finish his round. Obesity is an epidemic, and its from a lazy, lethargic, uneducated society. Not from corn.

oh man, we gotta start this again?

shmike 04-05-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPython (Post 357427)

http://www.xtrabrite4u.com/arrow_cir...ght_hg_clr.gif

Apoc 04-05-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPython (Post 357427)

Actually, if it wasnt for that happening during my round this morning, I wouldn't even have come in this thread. But when you cant finish a round of golf, but have no problem finishing two burgers and fries, smothered in ketchup at the clubhouse, then the problem is with you, not with what your meat is fed. And dude had a Clikgear electric pushcart!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 357425)
Dude, corn fed livestock isnt the reason for obesity

No, overeating is, rather fucking obviously.

The fact remains, however, that (as I have suspected, and said for years) HFCS DOES metabolize different than table sugar, and is more fattening.

Also, the near complete removal of Omega 3 from our diets (as a result of changing the diet of livestock to corn) may have little to do with obesity, but it has EVERYTHING to do with health.

Homeslice 04-05-2010 01:28 PM

If we're going to talk about the shortage of Omega 3 in our diet, meat is only half the problem. The other half of the problem is how nearly all flour-based products (bread, cereal, bagels, chips, cookies, crackers, etc.) are made with cheap oil like palm or soybean oil that has no Omega 3. And you're not going to fix that problem unless you pay extra for stuff that is labeled Omega 3. If the consumer is willing to do so, things will change. There's no conspiracy to keep it from us. They could have used flax or olive oil if the consumer demanded it. The problem is, most people don't, because they are stupid and only care about taste.

Rider 04-05-2010 01:34 PM

I take Omega 3 supplements but I hate the aftertaste of it. I burp that stuff up all day long and it reminds me of castor oil. I know it's good for me though. I need to find a better brand.

Try Krill oil (I take Mega-Red). No fish burps.

Homeslice 04-05-2010 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 357479)
I take Omega 3 supplements but I hate the aftertaste of it. I burp that stuff up all day long and it reminds me of castor oil. I know it's good for me though. I need to find a better brand.

Get one with an enteric coating. This is what I use, from nutritionexpress

Apoc 04-05-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 357470)
No, overeating is, rather fucking obviously.

The fact remains, however, that (as I have suspected, and said for years) HFCS DOES metabolize different than table sugar, and is more fattening.

Also, the near complete removal of Omega 3 from our diets (as a result of changing the diet of livestock to corn) may have little to do with obesity, but it has EVERYTHING to do with health.

Guess what? Sugar is absolutely horrible for your health too, as horrible as corn syrop.

As has been said, if you feel your not getting enough Omegas, get some fish oil, or eat more fish. Corn has nothing to do with your health, and lean cuts of corn fed beef arent bad for you. Beef has never been a main source of Omega fats. Your overstating a small problem, that can be completely overcome by better food choices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 357497)
Guess what? Sugar is absolutely horrible for your health too, as horrible as corn syrop.

Funny, that's not what the article regarding the research that is the subject of this thread said.

Reading is fundamental:

Quote:

When male rats were given water sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup in addition to a standard diet of rat chow, the animals gained much more weight than male rats that received water sweetened with table sugar, or sucrose, along with the standard diet. The concentration of sugar in the sucrose solution was the same as is found in some commercial soft drinks, while the high-fructose corn syrup solution was half as concentrated as most sodas, including the orange soft drink shown here. (Photo: Denise Applewhite)
High-fructose corn syrup and sucrose are both compounds that contain the simple sugars fructose and glucose, but there at least two clear differences between them. First, sucrose is composed of equal amounts of the two simple sugars -- it is 50 percent fructose and 50 percent glucose -- but the typical high-fructose corn syrup used in this study features a slightly imbalanced ratio, containing 55 percent fructose and 42 percent glucose. Larger sugar molecules called higher saccharides make up the remaining 3 percent of the sweetener. Second, as a result of the manufacturing process for high-fructose corn syrup, the fructose molecules in the sweetener are free and unbound, ready for absorption and utilization. In contrast, every fructose molecule in sucrose that comes from cane sugar or beet sugar is bound to a corresponding glucose molecule and must go through an extra metabolic step before it can be utilized.

This creates a fascinating puzzle. The rats in the Princeton study became obese by drinking high-fructose corn syrup, but not by drinking sucrose. The critical differences in appetite, metabolism and gene expression that underlie this phenomenon are yet to be discovered, but may relate to the fact that excess fructose is being metabolized to produce fat, while glucose is largely being processed for energy or stored as a carbohydrate, called glycogen, in the liver and muscles.
Even at nearly TWICE the concentration, table sugar wasn't as fattening. This should tell you that HFCS is MUCH MORE FATTENING.

AquaPython 04-05-2010 02:17 PM

tard, lots of stuff that apoc is reiterating was proved wrong in the various sources i posted. He , nor homeslice nor any of the other nay-sayers have yet to post conflicting data from a single source.

Apoc 04-05-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 357500)
Reading is fundamental:

Even at nearly TWICE the concentration, table sugar wasn't as fattening. This should tell you that HFCS is MUCH MORE FATTENING.

You dont get it, do you? Corn Syrop is very, very bad for you.

SO IS FUCKING TABLE SUGAR.

I dont know what you think you have proved me wrong on. It all comes down to nutrition and food choices. You shouldn't eat either. A tablespoon of corn sugar is only a little worse for you than a tablespoon of table sugar. The problem is, people are eating it by the CUP FULL. There is a half a cup of HFCS is a 355ml can of pepsi. So guess what? Dont drink pepsi. Dont put 5 sugar in your fucking coffee. Dont eat cake like its a rice cake.

Just because something is worse for you, ounce by ounce, than something else, doesnt mean you should eat bucketloads of the one thats not as bad.

Grapeseed oil is better for you than butter too, doesnt mean you should drink a cup of it.

You dont see that what were arguing, is that corn is not to blame. People shoving fistfulls of unhealthy foods down their dumb, greedy fucking mouths is.

KSGregman 04-05-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 357510)
...People shoving fistfulls of unhealthy foods down their dumb, greedy fucking mouths is.

This....exactly this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 357510)
You dont get it, do you? Corn Syrop is very, very bad for you.

SO IS FUCKING TABLE SUGAR.

Sorry, table sugar is not NEARLY as bad, according to this latest research, not even at twice the dose was it as fattening as HFCS.

Reading. It's still fundamental.

...and you can get as worked up as you want, but you can't change the findings of this study. Love corn so much? Do your own study. Prove everyone wrong.

101lifts2 04-05-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homeslice (Post 357290)
10?

Damn..........how many mg each?

101lifts2 04-05-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpyonXero (Post 357287)
Does that keep your coat nice and shiny?

Yes I glisten in the sun. lol

Fish oil is good for a boatload of things...heart, circulatory, nerve...etc. etc.

101lifts2 04-05-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 357487)
Get one with an enteric coating. This is what I use, from nutritionexpress

Enteric coating is crap. Just buy the ones w/o the coating and swallow them. Pussy.

101lifts2 04-05-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 357592)
Sorry, table sugar is not NEARLY as bad, according to this latest research, not even at twice the dose was it as fattening as HFCS.

Reading. It's still fundamental.

...and you can get as worked up as you want, but you can't change the findings of this study. Love corn so much? Do your own study. Prove everyone wrong.

I think this is the jist of what you trying to say...

"High-fructose corn syrup and sucrose are both compounds that contain the simple sugars fructose and glucose, but there at least two clear differences between them. First, sucrose is composed of equal amounts of the two simple sugars -- it is 50 percent fructose and 50 percent glucose -- but the typical high-fructose corn syrup used in this study features a slightly imbalanced ratio, containing 55 percent fructose and 42 percent glucose. Larger sugar molecules called higher saccharides make up the remaining 3 percent of the sweetener. Second, as a result of the manufacturing process for high-fructose corn syrup, the fructose molecules in the sweetener are free and unbound, ready for absorption and utilization. In contrast, every fructose molecule in sucrose that comes from cane sugar or beet sugar is bound to a corresponding glucose molecule and must go through an extra metabolic step before it can be utilized."

Of course the underlying problem is still not corn, but HFCS eaten in too large of quantities with little to no exercise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 357673)
I think this is the jist of what you trying to say...

Really? What clued you in? The fact that I quoted that shit already?

http://poopnugget.com/files/rolleyes.gif

101lifts2 04-05-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 357676)
Really? What clued you in? The fact that I quoted that shit already?

http://poopnugget.com/files/rolleyes.gif

It was meant for Apoc..not you. I should have quoted him instead of you. My bad.

There seems to be a fundamental difference in the way Fructose and Glucose are metabolized, and this is apparently made far worse by the ratio of these two sugars in HFCS.

It's all there in the article, if you REALLY read it.

KSGregman 04-05-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 357679)
There seems to be a fundamental difference in the way Fructose and Glucose are metabolized...

Actually, I'm more interested in the fundamental difference between the food choices that fat people make versus the food choices that fit people make.

Don't want to get fat? Eat whole foods...in sensible portion sizes every 2 hours...and exercise. PAY ATTENTION...ensure that the calories you burn off each day exceed or equal the calories you consume.

No scientific study or internet pissing contests required. It really IS that simple. *shrug*