Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Touring (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   More goodies for a long-haul (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=10769)

nhgunnut 10-07-2009 09:34 AM

I love GPS on a bike, My Goldwing Came with Garmin built on board and I use a Magellan Crossover on the Busa the B-King and in my pickup. But I will add that Whern I travel I bring maps. I just got back from a Loop starting in NH and running out through PA down to WV then our to Western MD up though NY and back to the house in NH on the Goldwing (about 1400 miles) More then a few times the GPS wanted to route me through places I didn't want to go. so checking the routing against maps the resetting mid points on the GPS made it a far more pleasant ride.That was possible only cause I had the maps with me.

Gas Man 10-07-2009 09:41 AM

I carry a really small progressive insurance 50 state map in my saddle bag. But then I also carry a larger hog membership north america map. It is really sweet, has decent detail and lists every HD & buell dealership in north america. Tommymac saw this last weekend. Free as part of my hog membership.

CasterTroy 10-07-2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 275267)
I carry a really small progressive insurance 50 state map in my saddle bag. But then I also carry a larger hog membership north america map. It is really sweet, has decent detail and lists every HD & buell dealership in north america. Tommymac saw this last weekend. Free as part of my hog membership.

You get that when you join the BMWOA (BMW owners Association...same as HOG) along with a huge "telephone book" with the names and numbers of all the willing members who want to help. And it depends on what KIND of help, as to the level of detail given. You get a little tent symbol next to your name if you're willing to host a member overnight (hotel) or a wrench if you're just willing to help a broken down bike...etc

Pretty neat.

When you buy the BMW GPS (which is a Garmin Zumo) it comes pre-programed with the location of every BMW dealer in the US as well.

With the price of regular japanese cruisers and sportbikes now creaping closer to $20k the "COST of ownership" associated with the BMW and Harleys starts looking more appealing. Especially with networking tools these.

z06boy 10-07-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 273438)
Meh... too much of a distraction... I will never use my GPS on my bike... tried it, hated it, fuck it. Plus, getting lost and finding that road you'd never have otherwise known is part of the adventure, correct?

I've never used it on the bike but just bought a new one and may have it in the tankbag just in case in the future.

You are absolutely correct about "finding that road you'd never have otherwise known"...I've done this before and thought man...what a cool road and I didn't even know it was there...actually happened this past weekend when out riding.

Now when in the car and out of town I love the GPS. On my recent trip to San Francisco and the surrounding areas it kicked azz since I had never been there or ever driven in California at all. I set the hotel as home base and it rocked.

Gas Man 10-08-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasterTroy (Post 275274)
You get that when you join the BMWOA (BMW owners Association...same as HOG) along with a huge "telephone book" with the names and numbers of all the willing members who want to help. And it depends on what KIND of help, as to the level of detail given. You get a little tent symbol next to your name if you're willing to host a member overnight (hotel) or a wrench if you're just willing to help a broken down bike...etc

Pretty neat.

When you buy the BMW GPS (which is a Garmin Zumo) it comes pre-programed with the location of every BMW dealer in the US as well.

With the price of regular japanese cruisers and sportbikes now creaping closer to $20k the "COST of ownership" associated with the BMW and Harleys starts looking more appealing. Especially with networking tools these.

Your absolutely correct Caster. People will figure out that the cost of the premium bikes like BMW & HD are at a higher mark for a reason.

And I have been told about the BMW owners group name list. Pretty cool I think. HOG doesn't do that but I don't think finding HD owners and dealership is hard either.

Trip 10-08-2009 10:42 AM

I carry my BMWMOA members list with me at all times. I am also in it. Pretty cool to have access to that sort of help network.

Gas Man 10-08-2009 10:56 AM

Oh it is very cool! And I'm sure very helpfull as well.

101lifts2 10-10-2009 01:26 AM

Troy, did you buy that BMW new? How do you like it thus far?

Tmall 10-10-2009 08:14 AM

I don't know if you guys have thought about using your phones built in gps?

I have a google maps app. It uses my phones gps and loads on the fly. Maps are current and updated as you go. It tracks your position fairly accurately and is free to download.

For my own needs, it beats buying a dedicated gps.

Trip 10-10-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 276609)
I don't know if you guys have thought about using your phones built in gps?

I have a google maps app. It uses my phones gps and loads on the fly. Maps are current and updated as you go. It tracks your position fairly accurately and is free to download.

For my own needs, it beats buying a dedicated gps.

I have garmin and google maps on my phone, the dedicated gps is much nicer imo. I don't have to worry about destroying my phone and the Zumo is waterproof, so I don't have any worries in the rain. Plus it's glove friendly where as my phone hates gloves.