Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Track (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   School Me On Track Days (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=13280)

ceo012384 02-18-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 336514)
You'll be fine.

Those of us that have hosted or worked at numerous trackdays (azoom, oreo, ceo, racerboy, jgalt, me, etc) can tell you of dozens of riders we have seen to the ride to-ride-ride home bit.

Is it ideal? No.

Can it be done? Easily.

I would definitely buddy up with someone at the track (beforehand if possible) so you "know" someone there in the worst case scenario.

Exactly Mike... is it the best case? No.

Do most people who do it end up being fine and not having any problems? Yes.

Are the ones who have problems helped out by riders/staff/etc due to the great community atmosphere? Always.

Would I allow having to ride to the TD stop me from going to one? Not a fucking chance in hell.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 336525)
My step-dad has a trailer that I can borrow. I'd just have to either use his truck, or get a hitch installed on my Santa Fe. Either option is doable. I'm also going to check with some local riders about maybe just bumming a ride. I'm sure they do some group trackdays once in a while.

On the other hand, with this new information... If you have a trailer and truck you can borrow that easily, I think you'd be a fool not to do that. Definitely more ideal to haul that shit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 336535)
My primary concern with someone riding to and from the track is the rider being too exhausted to safely get home.

This is also a great point... we've had riders going home after their first track day, riding, and an afternoon rainstorm swooped in. Talk about a long and tough day. I was worried about them.

pauldun170 02-18-2010 10:47 PM

Geez....just rent a uhaul. Ramp might be provided and tie downs should be there.
Worse case scenario is that you get one with a lame state scene on the side. Like Arizona

dReWpY 02-18-2010 10:57 PM

Iits nice to live only 17 miles from the track

OreoGaborio 02-20-2010 01:50 AM

As some others have said - is it the best idea? No. Is it doable? Absolutely.

I used to do it back in the day quite a bit... Hour & 15 up, hour & 15 home... Makes for a long day, but you'd be surprised how many people ride to our events.

tommymac 02-20-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OreoGaborio (Post 338925)

I used to do it back in the day quite a bit... Hour & 15 up, hour & 15 home... Makes for a long day, but you'd be surprised how many people ride to our events.

People do what they gotta do to get there. Plus theres always someone willing to lend a hand if someone crashes or cant get home so at least you and your gear will be takencare of.

OreoGaborio 02-20-2010 10:38 AM

Indeed... and it's worth it :)

azoomm 02-20-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OreoGaborio (Post 338925)

Doable? Sure. Recommended? Nah. There are better options. And, I might note, there is a difference betweena veteran track rider doing this and a rookie...

OreoGaborio 02-20-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 338978)
Doable? Sure. Recommended? Nah.

Isn't that what I just said? :?:
Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 338978)
And, I might note, there is a difference betweena veteran track rider doing this and a rookie...

Most of our customers that ride up do so because they're novice or occasional track riders & haven't justified buying a trailer yet.

Then again, we generally attract a safe/smart group of customers to our events. Not a lot of yahoos out there riding over their heads compared to other orgs. Our last event in '09 I think we only had THREE crashes over the course of TWO days at NJMP (those numbers are rare, but it just emphasizes the fact that we tend to have less crashes than other orgs).

racedoll 02-21-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 336535)
My primary concern with someone riding to and from the track is the rider being too exhausted to safely get home.

This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 336570)
I don't recommend the ride to the track day thing. Just so much more piece of mind knowing that your bike is ready before you get to the track, and you have everything you need going there.

And this. I don't like having to worry about doing anything at the track except unload, tech inspect. and ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauralynne (Post 336575)
THAT.

Plus it's harder than you would think to adjust from spending a day holding the throttle WFO and then heading home with oncoming traffic and speed limits. Your brain will take some time to adjust between the 2...it's just dangerous to try and do it too quickly, even if you're a smart, experienced rider.

I have a MAJOR problem keeping my speed down after having done a track day or two or four. Your whole perception of how fast you are traveling it totally skewed. It is a wonder I haven't getting a ticket or anything. How the f* do I explain that one to the cop? Yeah right!

I vote for finding a way to haul the bike there versus riding.

jtemple 02-22-2010 11:57 AM

I put a feeler out on a local riding forum to see if I can bum a ride from someone on a track day. I've ridden with a few of them and they're good people. That'll give me someone I "know" and the ability to trailer my bike there.