Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dogs - Raw Diet Update (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=7592)

Rider 04-22-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 200894)
Brinks is on the same. Wayne is on BB large adult. But man they can clear a room fart!!!

This is interesting... but damn they already cost me a fortune to feed. And this is easy.

Yeah it's easy and really the prices isnt that bad. I think Buddy is going through a big bag(40lbs I think) every month. It's$50 a bag but that is relatively cheap compared to what it costs to feed growing kids. Oh yeah and buddy can crack them off with the best of them but they have no smell. :idk: I guess he just swallows a lot air when he eats.

rogue 04-22-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 201130)
They need the guts (although I could use other non-mercury contaminated guts instead I suppose). To be honest, I don't think they'll live long enough to feel the effects from different contaminates in the water eating fish once a week.

IIRC, purchasing pond raised fish lowers the chances of mercury levels in the fish anyway. :scratch: :idk:

HurricaneHeather 04-22-2009 01:10 PM

Triple, what are you using to grind up the chicken?

Kaneman 04-22-2009 01:16 PM

Good update Triple, glad to see you're still feeding raw.

I go back and forth on whether or not to start grinding. I've seen such great development of their jaw and neck muscles from the chewing that I'm reluctant to start grinding. Not to mention the cleanliness of their teeth, although I'm surprised to read that you are having similar results using ground food.

I think a balance between the two might be a good compromise for me. Alternate whole and ground every other day in order to give an extra day for bones to finish digesting.

Gas Man 04-22-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 201135)
Yeah it's easy and really the prices isnt that bad. I think Buddy is going through a big bag(40lbs I think) every month. It's$50 a bag but that is relatively cheap compared to what it costs to feed growing kids. Oh yeah and buddy can crack them off with the best of them but they have no smell. :idk: I guess he just swallows a lot air when he eats.

My 2 dogs go thru about 3-4 bags a month of the food at $40 a bag.

I asked the vet about this today. he said its a great diet and works well. The bone in meat MUST MUST be raw. That the stomach can breakdown the bones as long as they aren't cooked. The cooked bones is what most people hear horror stories about. Like the owners left over steak or chicken bones. That is bad cause they are cooked.

He also said that while its a great diet. most pet owners don't stick with it. Its a great deal of hassle and costs more. Some only last a few weeks, others last a few months but most quit due to the hassle.

Kaneman 04-22-2009 08:23 PM

Hard to believe people consider feeding their dogs a hassle...but then again I remember my mom being hasseled to get my dinner on the table!

Adeptus_Minor 04-22-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 201394)
Hard to believe people consider feeding their dogs a hassle...but then again I remember my mom being hasseled to get my dinner on the table!

I was thinking about that.
Honestly, this is why I haven't moved past the "thinking about getting a dog" stage.
I've owned dogs in the past, but they were outdoor-living, scrap & bag food eating 'dawgs'.
They exercised themselves, entertained themselves (as we would often have two or three), and didn't have to be leashed or taught any particular level of obedience.

However, having a dog in my life now would require a much higher level of involvement.
I live in an apartment, I work nights, I have city ordinances to contend with...etc.
The 'hassle' of feeding raw is a reminder of the kind of things I should add to my consideration.
If and when I decide to bring a dog into my home, I want to do it right. :dthumb:

Kaneman 04-22-2009 09:53 PM

No doubt man.

I'm sure there are plenty of dogs fed commercial that do fine. What I'm hoping to avoid is having my dogs get all crippled up in their final years.

101lifts2 04-22-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 200964)
....You read it right, they've been eating the dreaded chicken bone covered in juicy delicious raw meat for months now......

I thought chicken bones act like splinters and the dog can choke, no?

cuttle 04-23-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 201450)
I thought chicken bones act like splinters and the dog can choke, no?

only if you cook them.

Mine get chicken backs and turkey necks quiet frequently.