Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gun Thread (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=15842)

Mikey 02-08-2011 07:36 PM

That's not bad. I might pick up a few boxes for range work.

Corey 02-10-2011 10:36 PM

Got some Magpul Pmags in the mail today at a nice price. Hopefully the Glock 27 I ordered will be at the gun shop this weekend to pick up. It's been a gun heavy year for me so far. :D

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W...-43-39_503.jpg

Hydrant 02-10-2011 10:41 PM

Now buy yourself a O/U shotgun and get into claysports.

I'm into sporting clays.

Browning Citori 625 Sporting on top 12 ga. with 30" barrel
Remington 11-87 Premier 12 ga with 28" barrel

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...t/IMG_0906.jpg

Corey 02-10-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrant (Post 449156)
Now buy yourself a O/U shotgun and get into claysports.

I'm into sporting clays.

Browning Citori 625 Sporting on top 12 ga. with 30" barrel
Remington 11-87 Premier 12 ga with 28" barrel

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...t/IMG_0906.jpg

I've been checking out some over/unders, but I don't know that I have a use for it at the moment. The AR was a stretch purchase. There's no rifle range within a 40 minute drive from here, so I won't get to shoot it as much as I'd like. I'm afraid I'd be in the same boat with a shotgun.

But it's on the list anyway.

Corey 02-13-2011 03:15 PM

I went shooting today and shot my new to me CZ40B. This thing is a damn gem. I love it. Groups weren't bad for the first time using it.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W...s640/cz40b.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_W...40/targets.jpg

G-Rex 02-18-2011 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up some company for my XDm 9mm tonight.

It's a Para-Ordnance GI Expert 1911 .45 cal. I just picked it up tonight. Haven't shot it yet, as it was covered in Cosmoline. Brought 'er home and cleaned all that crap off, lubed her up, and ready to go. I'll be taking it to the range tomorrow to run through a couple hundred rounds and start getting it broken in.

Now I guess I better start building the AR, since I have the lower waiting for goodies. LOL

Adeptus_Minor 02-19-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 451099)

It's a Para-Ordnance GI Expert 1911 .45 cal. I just picked it up tonight. Haven't shot it yet, as it was covered in Cosmoline. Brought 'er home and cleaned all that crap off, lubed her up, and ready to go. I'll be taking it to the range tomorrow to run through a couple hundred rounds and start getting it broken in.

Now I guess I better start building the AR, since I have the lower waiting for goodies. LOL

Good job, bud. :dthumb: And yes, you'd better.

Corey 02-19-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 451099)

That's a nice 1911 ya got there. What's next on the list?

Corey 02-20-2011 12:28 PM

I bought a Ray Gun. Look out Buck Rogers.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_W...2-23-24_10.jpg

Lamnidae 02-20-2011 02:49 PM

That's a nice 1911 you got there G-Rex. how was it at the range?

G-Rex 02-20-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 451182)
That's a nice 1911 ya got there. What's next on the list?

I dunno. Maybe something in a subcompact for carry duties if I ever get so inclined, but that's after I finish building the AR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblyopic (Post 451283)
That's a nice 1911 you got there G-Rex. how was it at the range?

Thanks. It shot very nice at the range. The trigger spring is alot ligher than my XDm, so it will take a little getting used to. It does feel like it's a smoother pull than my XDm though, and I like that, along with the weight. So far, I'm very pleased with the gun. The only thing I'm not pleased with is the cost of .45 ammo. LOL

CasterTroy 02-21-2011 10:31 AM

Anyone here have a supressor?

If so...is it registered to YOU or to a "trust"?

nhgunnut 02-21-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasterTroy (Post 451420)
Anyone here have a supressor?

If so...is it registered to YOU or to a "trust"?

I own 2 suppressors both are registered to me, not a trust. The trust option here in New Hampshire is usually used if the CLEO is opposed to signing off on the form 4.
Can I ask what you are thinking of using a can for? Caliber wise I mean.

CasterTroy 02-21-2011 12:29 PM

Thinking mainly about .22

I've got a M&P 15-22 that's just screaming for one

nhgunnut 02-21-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasterTroy (Post 451431)
Thinking mainly about .22

I've got a M&P 15-22 that's just screaming for one

Your considerations should be how do you want to mount the can. If you plan to use it on only a rifle you might consider a QD .223 can they keep 22 even quieter and you have the option of using it on a 223 or 5.45x39. (I use a Gemtech Halo) On the other hand if you see yourself using it on a pistol a Gemtech Alpine , or Outback or Yankee Hill Machine Might (there are lots of other good ones too I just have had experience with these)
Price difference between a 22 can and a 223 can is ususally between $225 $275 For example I paid (before form 4 fees) $300 for my 22 can and $518 for my Halo
Keep in mind Suppressed weapons are NEVER "Hollywood Quiet"

CasterTroy 02-21-2011 01:07 PM

Gemtech Alpine was what I had interest in....but I WOULD like to consider it on the 5.56 as well......both are rifle only applications.

I know on the 15-22 I would hear the action more than the uncorking of the round. I've heard a Walther .22 with the Gemtech Alpine, and it really sounded like he was just racking the slide along with a rush of air similar to squeezing one of those baby snot suckers..... But I've never heard a suppressed 5.56 in the flesh. I'm real curious as to just HOW quiet you can get a 5.56/223 round. I've read in the 100 db range....which is still about as loud as popping a paper "lunch" bag. So not quite loud enough to really NEED ear protection.

Am I correct?

nhgunnut 02-21-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasterTroy (Post 451436)
Gemtech Alpine was what I had interest in....but I WOULD like to consider it on the 5.56 as well......both are rifle only applications.

I know on the 15-22 I would hear the action more than the uncorking of the round. I've heard a Walther .22 with the Gemtech Alpine, and it really sounded like he was just racking the slide along with a rush of air similar to squeezing one of those baby snot suckers..... But I've never heard a suppressed 5.56 in the flesh. I'm real curious as to just HOW quiet you can get a 5.56/223 round. I've read in the 100 db range....which is still about as loud as popping a paper "lunch" bag. So not quite loud enough to really NEED ear protection.

Am I correct?

With the 5.56 you get a sharp report, I would describe it as being comparable to a loud . 22 round Keep in mind you get the the sound of the round going Hypersonic. and unless you build an upper specifically for it a AR barrel will not stabilize a subsonic 223 round and if you try and shoot is you will inevitably get a baffle strike.
I run My Outback on a Walther G22 and P22. There is no question the Halo quiets it even further. (BTW a little squirt of KY Jelly rolled around inside of the can quiets them even further then squirt in some wd40 when you are done)
Suppressed weapons require cleaning far more often than there free breathing counterparts. Also you get more gas back in the chamber.
Ammo in the Suppressed 22 is going to be important. In none of my rigs is Remington Subsonic reliable. On top of that it is filthy.I much prefer Federal 40 grain Subsonic. Fiochi <sp> is popular with a lot of guys and in pistol length barrels Standard Velocity Winchester is pretty quiet and very reliable.
Hope this helps, shoot me an email if I can be of further help.

CasterTroy 02-21-2011 02:05 PM

:rockwoot: Will do...thanks a bunch!

Lamnidae 02-23-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 451287)
Thanks. It shot very nice at the range. The trigger spring is alot ligher than my XDm, so it will take a little getting used to. It does feel like it's a smoother pull than my XDm though, and I like that, along with the weight. So far, I'm very pleased with the gun. The only thing I'm not pleased with is the cost of .45 ammo. LOL

I hear ya there, rounds have gotten so damned expensive in the past several years. Can't seem to goto the range without dropping a good $70-100 for rounds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhgunnut (Post 451443)
With the 5.56 you get a sharp report, I would describe it as being comparable to a loud . 22 round Keep in mind you get the the sound of the round going Hypersonic. and unless you build an upper specifically for it a AR barrel will not stabilize a subsonic 223 round and if you try and shoot is you will inevitably get a baffle strike.
I run My Outback on a Walther G22 and P22. There is no question the Halo quiets it even further. (BTW a little squirt of KY Jelly rolled around inside of the can quiets them even further then squirt in some wd40 when you are done)
Suppressed weapons require cleaning far more often than there free breathing counterparts. Also you get more gas back in the chamber.
Ammo in the Suppressed 22 is going to be important. In none of my rigs is Remington Subsonic reliable. On top of that it is filthy.I much prefer Federal 40 grain Subsonic. Fiochi <sp> is popular with a lot of guys and in pistol length barrels Standard Velocity Winchester is pretty quiet and very reliable.
Hope this helps, shoot me an email if I can be of further help.

Some great info in here. Thanks. I've been contemplating a suppressor as well.

Lamnidae 02-23-2011 02:27 PM

Any folks w/ .50 Cal long guns out there???

Looking at doing some long range shooting, but don't really wish to pay the premium price for .338 Lapua/408/6.5mm, etc --- but also looking for something much better than your standard 308.

Rangerscott 02-23-2011 04:39 PM

Keltec RFB. Pretty neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNoUt3aVrus

Adeptus_Minor 02-23-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblyopic (Post 452024)
Any folks w/ .50 Cal long guns out there???

Looking at doing some long range shooting, but don't really wish to pay the premium price for .338 Lapua/408/6.5mm, etc --- but also looking for something much better than your standard 308.

300 Win Mag, maybe?
50 BMG is still pretty pricey if you're buying anything other than surplus ball ammo and the buy-in on most decent 50 cal rifles is steep.

Lamnidae 02-24-2011 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor (Post 452146)
300 Win Mag, maybe?
50 BMG is still pretty pricey if you're buying anything other than surplus ball ammo and the buy-in on most decent 50 cal rifles is steep.

The 300 win mag isn't quite what i'm looking for.

The buy-in for any of these higher-end rifles w/ the big powder behind them is all quite expensive.

I'm also thinking about getting into reloading to help offset the cost of rounds.... I view what I'm looking at as having some "common characteristics" with ammunition. I have something that is 5.56, and 7.62 -- hence why I was thinking .50 BMG because it's considered "common" and if say, i dunno, there was a zombie apocalypse the rounds would be easier to come by than some off-the-wall ammo.

and as for buy-in. I know this isn't going to be a cheap investment....

Adeptus_Minor 02-24-2011 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblyopic (Post 452229)
The 300 win mag isn't quite what i'm looking for.

The buy-in for any of these higher-end rifles w/ the big powder behind them is all quite expensive.

I'm also thinking about getting into reloading to help offset the cost of rounds.... I view what I'm looking at as having some "common characteristics" with ammunition. I have something that is 5.56, and 7.62 -- hence why I was thinking .50 BMG because it's considered "common" and if say, i dunno, there was a zombie apocalypse the rounds would be easier to come by than some off-the-wall ammo.

and as for buy-in. I know this isn't going to be a cheap investment....

Well, it's your wallet man :wink:
Dad has one of the single shot Barretts (Model 99, I believe) and it's a frickin' grin factory to touch off a round or two. :D

Lamnidae 02-24-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor (Post 452232)
Well, it's your wallet man :wink:
Dad has one of the single shot Barretts (Model 99, I believe) and it's a frickin' grin factory to touch off a round or two. :D

Yeah I've been doing and more thinking.. the 50 would be A) fun as hell and B) significantly more cost friendly per-round than the 338.....

But that being said... I couldn't help but see these today and the drool factory started flowing....

http://www.anzioironworks.com/images/20mmwith50a-1.jpg

.... The 50 BMG is on the right. ;)

HurricaneHeather 02-24-2011 12:20 PM

I bought my first gun recently. It's a Mossberg 20 gauge.

Lamnidae 02-24-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather (Post 452352)
I bought my first gun recently. It's a Mossberg 20 gauge.

Good stuff. I like Mossbergs.

HurricaneHeather 02-24-2011 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblyopic (Post 452361)
Good stuff. I like Mossbergs.

Yeah, it does what I need it to do.

I never thought I'd care about guns then someone handed me an AR. Damn. I want.

Lamnidae 02-24-2011 01:32 PM

.... well, go get you one. :)

<~~~ Love my SIG 556.

Lamnidae 02-24-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 452373)
Does anyone happen to have an AR-15 assembly/disassembly manual in .PDF format?

Lookin' for a specific manufacturer ?

wildchild 02-24-2011 01:57 PM

like this?

http://www.cmmginc.com/Downloadable_...n%20Manual.pdf

LeeNetworX 02-24-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblyopic (Post 452372)
.... well, go get you one. :)

<~~~ Love my SIG 556.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildchild (Post 452377)

Just found some - thanks anyway, guys. A co-worker hooked me up.

Lamnidae 02-25-2011 11:19 PM

How'd that tear-down manual work for you LNX?

Me personally I'm still undecided on what bolt rifle to get.... spent several hours going over pros and cons of different cartridges.....

Rangerscott 02-25-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather (Post 452370)
Yeah, it does what I need it to do.

I never thought I'd care about guns then someone handed me an AR. Damn. I want.

You can shoot my AR any time. :wink: It may be the small .556 but it gets the job done.

Lamnidae 02-25-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 452625)
You can shoot my AR any time. :wink: It may be the small .556 but it gets the job done.

lol

LeeNetworX 02-27-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblyopic (Post 452617)
How'd that tear-down manual work for you LNX?

Me personally I'm still undecided on what bolt rifle to get.... spent several hours going over pros and cons of different cartridges.....

I found several, incuding mil-spec manuals. I'll let you know when my kit shows up and I get a chance to assemble my rifle, and will post crappy, poorly-lit pics. :wink:

Lamnidae 02-27-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 452830)
I found several, incuding mil-spec manuals. I'll let you know when my kit shows up and I get a chance to assemble my rifle, and will post crappy, poorly-lit pics. :wink:

those are the best.....

Think I've settled on a .50 BMG.... probably the Steyr HS50.

Now, to work on my marksmanship so I don't go waste a bunch of money.

LeeNetworX 02-27-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblyopic (Post 452847)
those are the best.....

Think I've settled on a .50 BMG.... probably the Steyr HS50.

Now, to work on my marksmanship so I don't go waste a bunch of money.

Me want. Do you need a co-signer to finance a purchase of a case of .50? :lol

Lamnidae 03-01-2011 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 452920)
Me want. Do you need a co-signer to finance a purchase of a case of .50? :lol

Maybe! lol

Local gunshop back in AL has a nice Steyr in need of a good home (along with a couple of Barrets), but i need to work on marksmanship beforehand.

been doing some reading and I think I've settled on a nice Savage bolt action that should meet my needs for 'plinkage' - it's a lil' .22lr but has a threaded barrel to make a nice squirrel popper later.....

G-Rex 03-01-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblyopic (Post 452229)
I'm also thinking about getting into reloading to help offset the cost of rounds....

I've considered reloading as well now that I own a 9mm, .45, and an AR.

I've come to the realization that you won't save money reloading. You'll just shoot more. :lol

I'm still researching it. Pretty steep price of admission to start, but hey, it won't take very many boxes of .45 rounds to pay for it. LOL

nhgunnut 03-01-2011 08:16 AM

Just a heads up on Reloading. Count on a steep learning curve for the semi auto ammo. (especially when compared to rimmed revolver ammo).
You probably already know it but it is worth saying start with known mild loads and build up to a round stable round.
Watch pay particular attention to signs of pressure build up (real important in Rifles)
Have fun and from past experience reloading can get to be a very deep money hole very very quickly. It is not unlike riding a motorcycle to save money!

Lamnidae 03-01-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 453314)
I've considered reloading as well now that I own a 9mm, .45, and an AR.

I've come to the realization that you won't save money reloading. You'll just shoot more. :lol

I'm still researching it. Pretty steep price of admission to start, but hey, it won't take very many boxes of .45 rounds to pay for it. LOL

Yeah I'm more or less looking for it for the .50BMG's that I'm looking at getting into.....

that crap's expensive, yo.

Lamnidae 03-01-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhgunnut (Post 453326)
Just a heads up on Reloading. Count on a steep learning curve for the semi auto ammo. (especially when compared to rimmed revolver ammo).
You probably already know it but it is worth saying start with known mild loads and build up to a round stable round.
Watch pay particular attention to signs of pressure build up (real important in Rifles)
Have fun and from past experience reloading can get to be a very deep money hole very very quickly. It is not unlike riding a motorcycle to save money!

ty for the headsup on that.

i was going to start searching for used presses first.... why buy new if someone's getting out of it.

wildchild 03-01-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhgunnut (Post 453326)

yeah I noticed that. everyone here was saying I should reload to save coin. started looking into it and yeah no great savings there at all. I think it would end up costing more to reload then just buying cheap factory load practice ammo.
if i was always shooting top ammo it might save a few pennies, but I shoot cheap factory loads (winchester etc) for target parctice.

nhgunnut 03-01-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildchild (Post 453348)
yeah I noticed that. everyone here was saying I should reload to save coin. started looking into it and yeah no great savings there at all. I think it would end up costing more to reload then just buying cheap factory load practice ammo.
if i was always shooting top ammo it might save a few pennies, but I shoot cheap factory loads (winchester etc) for target parctice.

Me too unless I am shooting in competitions (300 and 600 yards) I stay with commercial stuff.

Corey 03-01-2011 07:47 PM

After a month of waiting for it to come in, finally got my new carry piece. On feel alone, the Gen 4 G27 fits my hand far better than the Gen 3. Can't wait to shoot it.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W...-24-52-653.jpg

Corey 03-01-2011 08:06 PM

Slightly cleaner pic.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_W...2-546-orig.jpg

racedoll 03-01-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 453314)

Agreed. I can't keep up re-loading with the amount that I'd like to shoot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblyopic (Post 453346)
i was going to start searching for used presses first.... why buy new if someone's getting out of it.

I saw one at the gun show this weekend. Not sure how much they were asking but you could always go there and start looking.

Fortunate for me Dad had a couple presses he could spare so my start up costs were minimal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildchild (Post 453348)

I did the math for myself since I had minimal start up cost (thanks to Dad). To re-load 380, I'd save about half. It is less than that now that the cost came down but I still do it for the enjoyment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhgunnut (Post 453429)
Me too unless I am shooting in competitions (300 and 600 yards) I stay with commercial stuff.

I am quite a bit more accurate with my reloads versus factory. :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 453491)
After a month of waiting for it to come in, finally got my new carry piece. On feel alone, the Gen 4 G27 fits my hand far better than the Gen 3. Can't wait to shoot it.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W...-24-52-653.jpg

Very nice. I'm glad you found something you like.

Lamnidae 03-02-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 453491)

Looks nice, Corey, I hope you're happy with your new addition.

I personally don't like Glocks, they don't "fit" right.

Lamnidae 03-02-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 453507)
Agreed. I can't keep up re-loading with the amount that I'd like to shoot.

I saw one at the gun show this weekend. Not sure how much they were asking but you could always go there and start looking.

Fortunate for me Dad had a couple presses he could spare so my start up costs were minimal.

I did the math for myself since I had minimal start up cost (thanks to Dad). To re-load 380, I'd save about half. It is less than that now that the cost came down but I still do it for the enjoyment.

I am quite a bit more accurate with my reloads versus factory. :shrug:

Yeah when I get back and move back to TX (Looking at ending up in San Antonio) I'll probably setup a reloading bench in the garage or get a small workshop going, then I'll start hunting for the press/gear at local gunshows and other avenues of cheaper "well loved" gear.

And yes, the more expensive the rounds you use, the more you'll save, and then you do have the benefit of putting in the powder and bullets you prefer, which hopefully will give you that "match ammo" feeling at the line like you've got going for you there RD :)

Care to share the details of your reloading gear?

Corey 03-02-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblyopic (Post 453599)
Looks nice, Corey, I hope you're happy with your new addition.

I personally don't like Glocks, they don't "fit" right.

In general, I feel the same way. I have to say, though, that they did a good job of making the Gen 4 grips fit human beings, rather than robots claws and monster hands. The slimmed down grips (on the subcompact at least) feel far more natural in my hand than the Gen 3's that I've shot off. To me, at least, there is a noticeable difference. I'll get a better idea when i break it in this weekend.

anthonyk 03-02-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 453499)

Totally not a criticism. Just ignorance. Which parts of that are metal, and not some composite?

Rangerscott 03-02-2011 11:43 PM

Top half metal. Bottom half composite. Me get A+ for answer unless you talk about the small parts then me get answer wrong.

<-----------FWeee tits!

Corey 03-02-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 453832)
Totally not a criticism. Just ignorance. Which parts of that are metal, and not some composite?

Slide, barrel, recoil rod/spring assembly are metal. Everything below the slide with the exception of some of the small parts is polymer. I have an XD that has the same metal to polymer bits, and the polymer on the Glock feels more dense and less plastic-y, though I slightly prefer the metal magazines on the XD to the polymer Glock magazines.

anthonyk 03-03-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 453834)

<-----------FWeee tits!

Whatever, already googled Denise Milani from another thread. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
Slide, barrel, recoil rod/spring assembly are metal. Everything below the slide with the exception of some of the small parts is polymer. I have an XD that has the same metal to polymer bits, and the polymer on the Glock feels more dense and less plastic-y, though I slightly prefer the metal magazines on the XD to the polymer Glock magazines.

Right on, thanks.

Rangerscott 03-03-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 453838)
Whatever, already googled Denise Milani from another thread. :lol:

Right on, thanks.

That's not Denise in my avatar.

Lamnidae 03-03-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 453839)
That's not Denise in my avatar.

details.... we need 'em.

fnfalman 03-03-2011 12:36 PM

It's not "polymer". It's "plastic".

You don't refer to "steel" as "iron".

wildchild 03-03-2011 01:57 PM

glock website calls it polymer

POLYMER
Corrosion resistant, tougher than steel and still 86% lighter. More than 20 years ago, GLOCK pistols were the first industrially manufactured handguns with high-tech polymer frames.

z06boy 03-03-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 453499)

I like mine but it's not as new as yours...it must be a Gen. 1. :lol:

racedoll 03-03-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblyopic (Post 453600)
And yes, the more expensive the rounds you use, the more you'll save, and then you do have the benefit of putting in the powder and bullets you prefer, which hopefully will give you that "match ammo" feeling at the line like you've got going for you there RD :)

Care to share the details of your reloading gear?

Not sure I'd consider mine "match ammo" but sure does feel and perform like it for me.

I have an RCBS JR-3 press. I think it's from 1970-something but really not sure. Dad picked it up at an auction in 2008 for $12.50 (yes, I have the receipt).

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...303_203800.jpg

I have an old school powder measure.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...303_204356.jpg

I have RCBS dies, none that are carbide. I don't mind greasing the cases and then cleaning them.

The press has a place for a rod for dispensing the primers versus a hand primer.

Oh, my scales are also old school, simple style with 20W oil or something like that to slow the paddle down when I measure the powder.

Hubby bought me a small set of digital calipers so I can make sure my total length (bullet + case) isn't over the spec. I don't check all since the dies are set but I do have to check when I switch from case lead bullets to bought slightly flat nose jacketed ones.

I think that's about it.

Lamnidae 03-04-2011 10:32 AM

Not bad RD. Self taught or did Daddy-O help ya out ?

racedoll 03-04-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblyopic (Post 454353)
Not bad RD. Self taught or did Daddy-O help ya out ?

Thanks. Of course Dad helped me, but I did remember some things from when I was a little girl helping him. Funny how things like this stick with you - kind of like riding a bicycle.

It's great because he gets to share something he loves with his daughter along with us spending time with each other. Win-win.

Corey 03-04-2011 10:43 PM

My local favorite gun shop had themselves a little sale today (through Sunday). My wallet is a little lighter now.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_W...-59-24_874.jpg

Smith and Wesson was on sale for a damn fine price. Picked up a sweet Model 637 at a very nice price. Also got a month of free range time with it. I'll be abusing that perk.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W...-04-06_462.jpg

Also picked up some Winchester Ranger rounds to go into my Glock. I've heard very good things about these.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_W...-25-02_547.jpg

Bought some Hogue grips for the 1911. I snapped the shit out of the cheap-o fake wood ones. Luckily, the Hogue grips feel way better.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W...-56-04_548.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W...-56-59_966.jpg

Free shit from the vendors!

Lamnidae 03-05-2011 02:47 AM

@RD - Good stuff!!! Gotta love win-win's like that.

@Big C - Yeah gotta say I love the Hogues I put on my Sig 229, the gun felt great before, felt amazing afterwards. And who doesn't love free shit from vendors? ;)

Corey 03-05-2011 09:13 PM

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W...-41-47_432.jpg

Newest purchase from today. A sweet little Mosin Nagant at another great price. I'm glad the gun shop is done with their sales. My bank account is hurting. No more guns for a while, unfortunately.

G-Rex 03-05-2011 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked this up today. My very first ray gun! LOL

It's a Beretta Neos U22. Should be nice for general plinking.

Lamnidae 03-05-2011 10:47 PM

Hey! I got me a Mosin too!

And nice lil' .22 there G-Rex.

nhgunnut 03-06-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 454741)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W...-41-47_432.jpg

Newest purchase from today. A sweet little Mosin Nagant at another great price. I'm glad the gun shop is done with their sales. My bank account is hurting. No more guns for a while, unfortunately.

I was at a distributor on friday they those for $79 is the cosmo, and tins of 496? Rounds of ammo for the the same money. Some days it sucks to be left handed.

G-Rex 03-06-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhgunnut (Post 454800)
I was at a distributor on friday they those for $79 is the cosmo, and tins of 496? Rounds of ammo for the the same money. Some days it sucks to be left handed.

I'm left handed too. I just try to conquer and overcome as best I can. I haven't seen much out there that's a truly left handed gun. :td:

nhgunnut 03-06-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 454801)
I'm left handed too. I just try to conquer and overcome as best I can. I haven't seen much out there that's a truly left handed gun. :td:

That is very true and honestly Bolt Guns were never meant for a Quick second shot.
I have built a few Ar's using the stag left handed bolt and upper, but like most south paws I have just learned to use the right handed guns

Adeptus_Minor 03-06-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 454801)

There are a good many, actually. Not much in the C&R market, though.
You mainly see left-handed specified in late model (ie, made in the last 40 years) hunting rifles.

zlicius 03-09-2011 06:58 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQRpAxGVg4M[/QUOTE]

Lamnidae 03-09-2011 11:20 AM

I had just read about that guy in one of my Front Sight emails --- thank you for sharing Z....

Amorok 03-09-2011 07:19 PM

That guy is badass.

nhgunnut 03-11-2011 05:58 AM

That is amazing at so many levels!
11 inch group at 600 yard is competitive at Camp Perry. 5 inches at 1000 yards from a borrowed gun is scary.
I salute you Mr Gundy you damn sure earned the Hat

G-Rex 03-23-2011 09:47 PM

Another piece to the puzzle....

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/r...6-goodness.jpg

nhgunnut 03-24-2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 458732)

Nice A3 upper. What are the Specs?

Archren 03-24-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Rex (Post 458732)
Another piece to the puzzle....

That's my next gun project too... stealing my idears again I see. :nee: I keed. Very nice. When you complete it, your ass had better bring it down and share. I know at least 4 women and 3 guys who would kick your ass (and are more than willing to drive to OKC to do it) if you don't. :D

LeeNetworX 03-24-2011 01:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
God bless the UPS man.

Love the Magpul MOE handguards. Will hopefully find time over the next several days to put it all together.

OneSickPsycho 03-24-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlicius (Post 455386)

[/QUOTE]

Just shut the fuck up and let the guy shoot.

Archren 03-24-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 458910)
God bless the UPS man.

Love the Magpul MOE handguards. Will hopefully find time over the next several days to put it all together.

Now THAT is a sexy upper receiver. How much did it run you?

LeeNetworX 03-24-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archren (Post 458913)
Now THAT is a sexy upper receiver. How much did it run you?

Sexy indeed. That kit, as configured was $530 shipped. Only upgrade I sprung on was the handguards, so it has standard trigger, etc. Already have the lower, two different tactical scopes and four Magpul 30-round mags.

goof2 03-24-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 458920)
Sexy indeed. That kit, as configured was $530 shipped. Only upgrade I sprung on was the handguards, so it has standard trigger, etc. Already have the lower, two different tactical scopes and four Magpul 30-round mags.

Very nice, who did you order from?

LeeNetworX 03-24-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 458932)
Very nice, who did you order from?

Del-Ton - they are based in NC.
http://www.del-ton.com/

Archren 03-24-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 458920)

Making me itch to get out to the range again... I miss doing that on a more regular basis... and with ammo the government paid for. :lol:

goof2 03-24-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 458938)
Del-Ton - they are based in NC.
http://www.del-ton.com/

Cool, thanks.

Adeptus_Minor 03-24-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 458910)
God bless the UPS man.

I approve.
Deserves a better buttstock though, don't you think? :wink::D

Adeptus_Minor 03-24-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archren (Post 458783)
When you complete it, your ass had better bring it down and share. I know at least 4 women and 3 guys who would kick your ass (and are more than willing to drive to OKC to do it) if you don't. :D

Trust me, I've already told him. :wink:
Gotta do side by side comparisons with my SPR.

Corey 03-24-2011 07:29 PM

I got a new .40 cal gun. It's fucking awesome.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W...-07-58-807.jpg

Adeptus_Minor 03-24-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 459054)
I got a new .40 cal gun. It's fucking awesome.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W...-07-58-807.jpg

Oooh, I have one of those.
I keep meaning to order one of the .50 or .625 cal ones, but by the time you start buying the better darts, those get expensive. (more than I want to pay for an amusement piece, anyway)

Corey 03-24-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor (Post 459079)
Oooh, I have one of those.
I keep meaning to order one of the .50 or .625 cal ones, but by the time you start buying the better darts, those get expensive. (more than I want to pay for an amusement piece, anyway)

I don't need .50 to shoot up cans. I have no disillusions about using that thing to "hunt". It's just a fun fucking toy I can shoot inside and laugh like a lunatic while using. But that Cold Steel Big Bore looks cool as all fuck anyway.

LeeNetworX 03-25-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor (Post 459038)
I approve.
Deserves a better buttstock though, don't you think? :wink::D

Can always upgrade later; the beauty of modular weapons.

I'll probably need a riser mount for at least one of the scopes, too. Eventually will put flip-up BUIS on as well.

I'm already itching to put together another one - I'm thinking 20" with bipod and long range scope.

LeeNetworX 03-25-2011 09:07 AM

http://www.leenetworx.com/m4sopmod.jpg

Twobanger 03-26-2011 01:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My new Knights SR15

nhgunnut 03-26-2011 07:34 AM

I am so with Leenetworx, The Modular nature if the AR makes it such and easy platform to work on / play with that Once I build or buy and upper (I always tell my self that I will just run it on one of my existing Lowers and then build a dedicated lower) It is like that first salty potato chip,, and I want more and more. A few weeks ago I grabbed that 22LR Tactical Solutions M$ upper and threw a budget sight on it and plopped it on an existing lower.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...o/P1030112.jpg
Well then I grabbed a Delton Stripped Lower (Not my first choice but the cheapest) an RR 2 stage Trigger group, then a rail system a new T6 collapsible Stock, Blackwater Storm Single point, and to top it off I won a Lucid HD7 at the Friends of the NRA Banquet. (I have to say that while I wouldn't trade my eotech for it this is a Very Nice Holographic sight that can be bought around $200) and here it is today with the Halo on it
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...DSCN1078-1.jpg
The Scary part is that because I liked this one so well, I have a Alexander Arms 17HMR Upper on Order and have started to explore either a 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 or even a 308 build. Damns AR's

LeeNetworX 03-26-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twobanger (Post 459443)
My new Knights SR15

:rockwoot:
Very sweet.

LeeNetworX 03-26-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhgunnut (Post 459452)
A few weeks ago I grabbed that 22LR Tactical Solutions M$ upper and threw a budget sight on it and plopped it on an existing lower.

I have been eyeing those, too. Cheap ammo FTW.

nhgunnut 03-26-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 459477)
I have been eyeing those, too. Cheap ammo FTW.

CMMG has a good one as well

derf 03-26-2011 03:08 PM

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...666/Galil1.jpg