Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Buell is done, finished, gone (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=11056)

Gas Man 10-20-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 280338)
I really think that once the current cop of new bikes sell out and you have to buy used the prices will rebound to pre-defunct-buell levels, then 20 years from now if they dont go back into bussiness (which they will), a clean bike will be highly sought after, and will command top dollar.My guess is that by spring prices will jump back up to close to what they were a week ago

I think that is a true prediction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tached1000rr (Post 280344)
I did not check each post, but anyone else notice that Marko and Smileyman have not posted? Particularly Marko is here daily.

And I don't think you will see Marko for a bit. :td:

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 280354)
Its called denial

:skep:

tommymac 10-20-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

I did not check each post, but anyone else notice that Marko and Smileyman have not posted? Particularly Marko is here daily.

Hes been in the corner crying :lol:

Tom

FT BSTRD 10-20-2009 01:34 AM

I was in a funk for several days following the announcement.

It's just sucky. I wouldn't blame them if they didn't feel like weighing in.

tommymac 10-20-2009 01:55 AM

I amn actualy kind of used to it since 3 of my previous/current bikes have been discontinued.

Suzuki RF900
Suzuki TL1000S
Aprilia Futura

Amber Lamps 10-20-2009 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 280273)
So it's ok for you to have a narrow point of a bike, but if we do it to your precious HDs, it's time to lay down the law? Don't bash, if you can't take the bashing yourself. Rider equality, I would take the goldwing.

Welcome to my world...:lol:

Amber Lamps 10-20-2009 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychochild28 (Post 280343)
He's just getting his info here. It's high yea but at least it's a start
http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...B&gc=MC&gtc=MC

No reason to make fun.

Are you kidding? That's a great reason to make fun!!!:lol: You'll never convince me that if I was trying to sell my 2006 GSXR for what a new one costs that you guys wouldn't rag on me!!! Come on, the guy is trying to sell a damaged, used bike for what a new one goes for. Anyway, does this bike belong to your new boyfriend or what?:lol:

Amber Lamps 10-20-2009 02:20 AM

Quote:

Yea I almost pm'd Smileyman to offer my condolences seriously... I can't imagine how he must feel...:panic:

Amber Lamps 10-20-2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FT BSTRD (Post 280372)
I was in a funk for several days following the announcement.

It's just sucky. I wouldn't blame them if they didn't feel like weighing in.

In all honesty, what are they going to say?

Amber Lamps 10-20-2009 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 280378)
I amn actualy kind of used to it since 3 of my previous/current bikes have been discontinued.

Suzuki RF900
Suzuki TL1000S
Aprilia Futura

Oh I've owned several bikes that they don't make anymore but it's a WHOLE different story when the entire company goes out of business!!!

Dave 10-20-2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 280273)
So it's ok for you to have a narrow point of a bike, but if we do it to your precious HDs, it's time to lay down the law? Don't bash, if you can't take the bashing yourself. Rider equality, I would take the goldwing.

or the vulcan voyager, or the royal venture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 280363)

And I don't think you will see Marko for a bit. :td:

:skep:

somebody should probably check on the boy. anyone live close? should probably go get his shoelaces and anything sharp.

Amber Lamps 10-20-2009 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 280388)

somebody should probably check on the boy. anyone live close? should probably go get his shoelaces and anything sharp.

WOW!!! I fucking laughed for at least 3 minutes!!!:lol:

Actually, despite our previous disagreements, I like Marko and I truly feel bad for him! That's one good thing about my GSXR forum, there's been 24/7 Buell bashing without any remorse over there!!!:lol:

Dave 10-20-2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 280391)
WOW!!! I fucking laughed for at least 3 minutes!!!:lol:

Actually, despite our previous disagreements, I like Marko and I truly feel bad for him! That's one good thing about my GSXR forum, there's been 24/7 Buell bashing without any remorse over there!!!:lol:

nice, i havent even been to the kawiforum i lurk on since the news dropped

Dave 10-20-2009 03:07 AM

mostly above board sympathy. a few gems though

Quote:

performance advice from a H-D rider is like asking a Priest about sex lol
:lmao:

tommymac 10-20-2009 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 280387)
Oh I've owned several bikes that they don't make anymore but it's a WHOLE different story when the entire company goes out of business!!!

I at least came close with aprilia untill piagio bailed them out ;)

Tom

Trip 10-20-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 280379)
Welcome to my world...:lol:

Yeah, if anyone has a right to complain it's the gixxer riders. They take the most shit.

psychochild28 10-20-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 280380)
Are you kidding? That's a great reason to make fun!!!:lol: You'll never convince me that if I was trying to sell my 2006 GSXR for what a new one costs that you guys wouldn't rag on me!!! Come on, the guy is trying to sell a damaged, used bike for what a new one goes for. Anyway, does this bike belong to your new boyfriend or what?:lol:

Nope it's drewpys roommate.

My B/F doesn't own a bike.

z06boy 10-20-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 280334)
Yeah, I feel bad for all the people that bought their bike for retail this year. They got royally fucked hard.

NO KIDDING !! That would totally suck !

*edit* Wait you mean there are actually people not posting because Buell is closing it's doors ? :scratch: :?:

Dave 10-20-2009 09:08 AM

anyone else see the (probably fake) yamaha buyout rumor? Makes for some interesting hypotheticals. Personally i hope its true cause it'd stick a thumb in all those protectionist bastards eyes

FT BSTRD 10-20-2009 09:51 AM

As a Buell fan boi, I'd love a Yamaha/Buell confligration. My only concern is that this might mean Buell bits on Yamaha bikes rather than full blown Buell creations.

I'm a V-Twin guy. I've never been a fan of IL4 bikes. Buell innovations on an IL4 is probably something I wouldn't buy. Most Buell people feel the same.

There is a concerted effort by some group to save Buell. They are in negotiations with HD.

I'd see a private equity group having more luck at preserving most of the essence of Buell than Yamaha could.

I'm 99% sure the Yamaha thing is a hoax. The original poster referenced AP as the source, but there is no story anywhere on AP to back it up.

Trip 10-20-2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FT BSTRD (Post 280438)
As a Buell fan boi, I'd love a Yamaha/Buell confligration. My only concern is that this might mean Buell bits on Yamaha bikes rather than full blown Buell creations.

:lol: That is not nearly as likely as Yamaha putting it's bits in on the Buell name.

Quote:

"I do get tired of reading,'my buddy is a racer and says the Buell will never work' I always want to say 'Who the F*CK is your buddy and is he faster than Shawn Higbee?"

--Erik Buell
Apparently our friends are faster than Shawn Higbee. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

Gas Man 10-20-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 280388)

don't worry about it. I keep regular "tabs" on him thru various ways. :skep:

Dave 10-20-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 280454)
don't worry about it. I keep regular "tabs" on him thru various ways. :skep:

having a subscription to www.marcowetnwild.com doesnt count :P

Gas Man 10-20-2009 11:29 AM

Your right... and I dont. I can not reveal my sources.

Trip 10-20-2009 11:31 AM

He still is on facebook and probably will still take calls.

Rider 10-20-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 280477)
He still is on facebook and probably will still take calls.

He even replies when you send a message. :lol

Gas Man 10-20-2009 11:38 AM

F Facebook. I don't have a FB account

Rider 10-20-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 280482)

We know.

RACER X 10-20-2009 11:59 AM

1125R $5500

http://www.longhornhd.com/

z06boy 10-20-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 280503)

Killer prices

Trip 10-20-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 280482)

Your wife does and she is more than willing to give us updates on you. :nee:

Adeptus_Minor 10-20-2009 01:52 PM

Rode the 1125CR and 1125R today

The CR stands for 'CRamped', but the R stands for 'Rawr' :devil:
...and the sound of it under acceleration, even with the modest factory pipes.
It sounds like a parallel twin blipping it at idle, but when you crack the throttle at around 4k.. mmm....

Nice bikes, really, but I went home on my Warrior...today :whistle:

Homeslice 10-20-2009 02:01 PM

perhaps they could use less confusing model names? what's the difference between the R and the CR? which one is the full fairing one?

shmike 10-20-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 280581)
perhaps they could use less confusing model names? what's the difference between the R and the CR? which one is the full fairing one?

CR = Cafe Racer, no fairing.

Adeptus_Minor 10-20-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 280583)

yeah, what he said.
It's funny, really. The differences between the two come down to some very slight dimensional changes and the plastic.
Yet somehow I felt kind of cramped on the CR but the R I rode next felt much more natural.
(coming from the last two+ years on a cruiser, take that as you will)

dReWpY 10-20-2009 02:25 PM

what bars were on the CR, stock the CR has a lower set of clip ones, so the reach would be longer

Dave 10-20-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

shoulda been street fighter, not much cafe about it

Tmall 10-20-2009 03:26 PM

The cr is geared down 9% as well.

Rider 10-20-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 280631)
shoulda been street fighter, not much cafe about it

Not much street fighter in it either. The true definition of a street fighter is a highly modified bike. Geared of low end speed and built for a more upright seating position.

Trip 10-20-2009 04:18 PM

It's really just a naked sport.

shmike 10-20-2009 04:20 PM

And now we know the real reason Buell failed. :lol:

Trip 10-20-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 280689)

no one knew what the fuck to make of their bikes. yeah, that's probably true actually. Take their adv version for example, WTF do you do with an adv bike that's not a big fan of gravel?

Amber Lamps 10-20-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 280689)

In a way you're right! Between the HD dealers unwillingness to even sometimes show these bikes, I went into two dealerships to look at Buells and was treated poorly, and a definitive lack of ad penetration. I'm not sure how they held on this long. Not to mention all the bad press about quality issues in the past and this whole year with the negative press concerning DMG... Oh and dammit, I still have never seen any proof that his ideas were "better" than what is currently available.:idk:

Dave 10-20-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 280700)
In a way you're right! Between the HD dealers unwillingness to even sometimes show these bikes, I went into two dealerships to look at Buells and was treated poorly, and a definitive lack of ad penetration. I'm not sure how they held on this long. Not to mention all the bad press about quality issues in the past and this whole year with the negative press concerning DMG... Oh and dammit, I still have never seen any proof that his ideas were "better" than what is currently available.:idk:

lack of penetration is the definition of failure :lmao:

dReWpY 10-20-2009 06:36 PM

ride one, its a experience

derf 10-20-2009 11:15 PM

Harley was just outed as giving dealers a $5k incentive to sell off the existing stock of buells. Seems they are more motivated than I thought to distance themselfs from the buell experiment. With this news I doubt you will ever see a buell in a harley dealership again, ever. Although I still think the XR is going to get sportier over the next 2 years

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...-5000-for.html

Quote:

Harley-Davidson is paying dealers a $5,000 per-bike incentive for each new Buell they sell, irrespective of model. Until now, this incentive was top secret, with dealers and Harley employees under strict orders not to reveal it to the public or media. Oops.

Last thursday, Harley announced it was killing Buell in an effort to re-concentrate its rapidly disappearing resources on the mother brand. We also wrote an obituary for Buell, brought you news of Erik's fate and uncovered news that Harley didn't bother calculating how much money it would save, if any, by killing the brand.

While neither our original source nor third-party verification know exactly why Harley is offering the incentive, it's likely that The Motor Company is eager to free itself of its franchise commitments and clear remaining stock before the Buell plant officially closes for good on December 18.

The $5,000 incentive helps explain the fire sale prices we've seen on Buells in the last five days -- as low as $4,999 for zero-mile Buell 1125CRs and similar prices for the air-cooled range -- but should help you, the consumer negotiate an even better deal. You can now walk into a showroom with the knowledge that the dealer is extremely motivated to get you to leave with a motorcycle. No matter how little you pay, they'll get $5,000, so don't feel guilty.

Of the entire Buell range, we'd most recommend the Firebolt XB12R (pictured above) and the Lightning XB12S streetfighter. These bikes are sure to become the definitive Buell motorcycles in the future and combine 250GP-like handling with the recalcitrant 103bhp, 84lb/ft air/oil-cooled 1203cc 45° v-twin. Expect supersport 600 pace with much more involvement and character.

Let us know what kind of deals you're able to get.

Dave 10-20-2009 11:45 PM

wtf. Hopefully this means they will sell the brand

derf 10-20-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 280881)
wtf. Hopefully this means they will sell the brand

It means that along with the news that HD never actually looked at the savings from stopping buell that they were already looking hard for a reason to get rid of the company, waited until the end of the riding/bike sales season. Now they sell off buell, get rid of the existing stock and rid themselfs of the bastard stepchild that they beat, raped, and left in the closet.

Amber Lamps 10-21-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 280761)
ride one, its a experience

God Dammit! I have ridden one and guess what? The sky didn't part, the fucking angels didn't sing, and I didn't leave a huge dent in the tank from a boner!!! All I wanted was to get off that uncomfortable, rattling, shaking, slow, non-braking motherfucker!!! If they are so great, why don't you own one? Oh and please don't give me that poor shit because you can probably trade even up for your bike right now.:lol:

It's amazing... forget the many,many recalls... forget the many failures, forget the numbers, forget the absolutely dismal race results, forget all of the comparisons- shit when was the last time Buell allowed one of his babies to be compared against a similarly designed bike like the Tuono, Monster, SV1000, FZ1, etc? When has his precious creation ever compared favorably against a similarly configured and sized bike?:idk: What is up with all of the excuses? His original stated goal was to take on the other manufacturers on EQUAL terms, when did that happen? It didn't and he failed to complete his mission statement. Period. Were they great bikes? Sure considering what they were and where they came from, they were great bikes but they definitely weren't "world beaters" in any sense of the words. Oh and considering that he had the backing of one of the largest motorcycle companies in the world maybe we should quit treating him like this "small visionary that took on the big boys alone".

FT BSTRD 10-21-2009 01:01 AM

The reason Buell failed is that, not surprisingly, chrome couch dealers suck at selling sport bikes.

The completely don't understand the market, the buyer, or the bike.

If you want to move a not well known and kind of odd sportbike in a buying market where there are proven, popular, and cheaper models competing, you must drag the buyer to your product and convince them to try it for themselves.

Some of you saw this at the last Nashville Super Speedway track day (under the lights).

Was there another brand represented offering free cold beer after the last Friday night session?

Was there a dealer offering really good demo test rides between sessions for anyone with a valid motorcycle license for 8 hours both Friday and Saturday?

Was there a dealer offering free dogs and chips between first and second session?

How many times have you guys been to a metric dealer only to be told "no we don't do test rides"?

If you even brushed past a Buell on our showroom floor, I had your license copied, waiver signed, and bike pushed out the front doors for a demo.

Ever been on a demo where the dealer sales man leading the ride allowed triple digits? (Ask Drewpy)

If I could get your ass on the seat, I could get the bike out the door. I had to work at it more than any other brand, but I made it happen.

HD dealers couldn't get over the mindset that if you stick a sign outside and offer coffee on Saturday that bikes would move.

Guess what, it didn't.

Now my dealership doesn't get to show how good it really could have been.

FT BSTRD 10-21-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 280899)
God Dammit! I have ridden one and guess what? The sky didn't part, the fucking angels didn't sing, and I didn't leave a huge dent in the tank from a boner!!! All I wanted was to get off that uncomfortable, rattling, shaking, slow, non-braking motherfucker!!! If they are so great, why don't you own one? Oh and please don't give me that poor shit because you can probably trade even up for your bike right now.:lol:

It's amazing... forget the many,many recalls... forget the many failures, forget the numbers, forget the absolutely dismal race results, forget all of the comparisons- shit when was the last time Buell allowed one of his babies to be compared against a similarly designed bike like the Tuono, Monster, SV1000, FZ1, etc? When has his precious creation ever compared favorably against a similarly configured and sized bike?:idk: What is up with all of the excuses? His original stated goal was to take on the other manufacturers on EQUAL terms, when did that happen? It didn't and he failed to complete his mission statement. Period. Were they great bikes? Sure considering what they were and where they came from, they were great bikes but they definitely weren't "world beaters" in any sense of the words. Oh and considering that he had the backing of one of the largest motorcycle companies in the world maybe we should quit treating him like this "small visionary that took on the big boys alone".

Psssst....

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/8/4511...onclusion.aspx

Homeslice 10-21-2009 01:23 AM

Quote:

ah, I see

too bad both of them are saddled with those horrid-looking radiator scoops.

FT BSTRD 10-21-2009 01:25 AM

I like the scoops.

Then again, I think the Tuono looks like complete shit:

http://www.motodisiac.com/blog/wp-co...uono-1000r.jpg

Who the fuck designed that thing, Stevie Wonder?

Amber Lamps 10-21-2009 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FT BSTRD (Post 280902)

Um I only read the first page but 2 out of 3 said they'd take the Ducati and the one guy who took the Buell did so because it was cheap...:lol:

Believe it or not, I appreciate the article, too bad there weren't more circulated last year...:idk:

Homeslice 10-21-2009 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FT BSTRD (Post 280907)
I like the scoops.

Maybe the gold frame is questionable, but the rest of it is spot on IMO. 2-3 years ago it was even better with a checkered flag design on the tank.

FT BSTRD 10-21-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 280910)
Um I only read the first page but 2 out of 3 said they'd take the Ducati and the one guy who took the Buell did so because it was cheap...:lol:

Believe it or not, I appreciate the article, too bad there weren't more circulated last year...:idk:

Just was addressing your point about comparisons. I thought it was favorable.

One guy didn't like the Buell because he said it looked "cheap". The other guy said he'd take the Ducati because, "well, it's a Ducati".

I guess it's a little too little too late.

All in all, though, both the 1125R and 1125CR stacked up favorably against the competition.

FT BSTRD 10-21-2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 280913)
Maybe the gold frame is questionable, but the rest of it is spot on IMO. 2-3 years ago it was even better with a checkered flag design on the tank.

To me it looks like a box of legos from 6 different kits blew up and this is what fused together at ground zero.

There's even a head from a Bionicle on the front.

z06boy 10-21-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

So you're thinking about getting one ? :bigrofl:

defector 10-21-2009 11:05 AM

Went to check them out yesterday, and the salesman said to "make an offer, you might be surprised"...

SteveP 10-21-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FT BSTRD (Post 280907)
I like the scoops.

http://www.motodisiac.com/blog/wp-co...uono-1000r.jpg

Who the fuck designed that thing, Stevie Wonder?

I totally agree. I don't know WTF the designers were thinking. I love my first gen Tuono though.

SteveP 10-21-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

shit when was the last time Buell allowed one of his babies to be compared against a similarly designed bike like the Tuono, Monster, SV1000, FZ1, etc?

I gotta call BS on this statement. The Tuono is nowhere near comparable to the SV1000, Monster, or FZ1.

Homeslice 10-21-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveP (Post 281068)
I totally agree. I don't know WTF the designers were thinking. I love my first gen Tuono though.

Not sure what was so different about the 1st gen Tuono, other than having different shaped lights.....big deal. It still had a ton of different colors, just like that one.

Sean 10-21-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Gotta admit, that article is impressive. That 1125R is an ugly sumbitch, but the CR actually looks normal and I could see considering it as a DD. Wonder how it would compare to last season's winner, the Speed Triple, or the new Monster.

Trip 10-21-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveP (Post 281072)
I gotta call BS on this statement. The Tuono is nowhere near comparable to the SV1000, Monster, or FZ1.

Why not? I would put it in the same market as the SV and definitely the Monster. Not so much the FZ1 though.

pdog 10-21-2009 11:37 AM

There's always people who are going to be brand fanatics. They're willing to overlook pervasive flaws in order to stick with their belief that the brand they've invested in is the best. They're usually the ones with a company sticker on the back of their car/truck. Doesn't matter if it's "Ford", "Ducati" or "Buell", it's all the same mindset.

Quote:

Trip 10-21-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdog (Post 281104)
There's always people who are going to be brand fanatics. They're willing to overlook pervasive flaws in order to stick with their belief that the brand they've invested in is the best. They're usually the ones with a company sticker on the back of their car/truck. Doesn't matter if it's "Ford", "Ducati" or "Buell", it's all the same mindset.

Fanboys

Rider 10-21-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 281115)
Fanboys

Says the BMW rider.... :lol

dReWpY 10-21-2009 12:06 PM

i was about to call him out for that, he rides the biggest fanboy bike... other then ducatistas, gsxr squids, honda fanboys.... ya get the idea,we all think our shit doesnt stink

Trip 10-21-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 281129)
Says the BMW rider.... :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 281133)
i was about to call him out for that, he rides the biggest fanboy bike... other then ducatistas, gsxr squids, honda fanboys.... ya get the idea,we all think our shit doesnt stink

I know, Ewan and Charlie really put this bike on the map. I don't think it's the biggest fanboy bike by any means. It's not even close. Gixxers beat it easy, but the king of fanboy bikes stands alone without question and no one can deny it: Harley. If you question that, you are clueless.

As far as my bike, I fully understand I could have a fuel pump failure or a final drive failure (major issues with this bike.) I know it's far from perfect and will fully admit it. I don't think it's a bike for everyone and wouldn't recommend it unless I knew it was something you were looking for.

tommymac 10-21-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 281133)

I ride an aprilia futura, I know my shit stinks :lol:

Tom

Trip 10-21-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 281144)
I ride an aprilia futura, I know my shit stinks :lol:

Tom

There is a difference between fanboys and elitists, these commoners don't understand that. You mean you didn't get your dose of poopnostink. I thought they gave that out with Aprilias too. I got a coconut flavored bottle.

tommymac 10-21-2009 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 281146)
There is a difference between fanboys and elitists, these commoners don't understand that. You mean you didn't get your dose of poopnostink. I thought they gave that out with Aprilias too. I got a coconut flavored bottle.

Got a little of the elitist ribbing but a lotof people dont even know what an aprilia is so I guess that keeps me off the hook.

one guy on a harley tried to be bad ass and says hey nice rice rocket, I say hey dickhead its italian. The guys riding with him all started laughing at him :lol:

Tom

Dave 10-21-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

consider the source...

Dave 10-21-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 281151)
Got a little of the elitist ribbing but a lotof people dont even know what an aprilia is so I guess that keeps me off the hook.

one guy on a harley tried to be bad ass and says hey nice rice rocket, I say hey dickhead its italian. The guys riding with him all started laughing at him :lol:

Tom

classic

Homeslice 10-21-2009 12:33 PM

Aprilias are the best bikes, because not only are they the best-looking, but people don't thumb their noses at them like they do with Ducatis.

tommymac 10-21-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 281159)
Aprilias are the best bikes, because not only are they the best-looking, but people don't thumb their noses at them like they do with Ducatis.

They dont seem to have that same mystique as ducatis do for some reason, so I guess it makes them a little less snobbish so to speak.

Tom

Amber Lamps 10-21-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06boy (Post 281049)
So you're thinking about getting one ? :bigrofl:

Yea one of the NEW ones for a cruising around bike, I definitely don't see it as a replacement for my GSXR.

Amber Lamps 10-21-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveP (Post 281072)

Huh? Dude, I'm just pulling examples of naked/semi-naked bikes. I'm definitely not trying to start a new argument about some other basically boutique bike. Who cares?:idk: Compare the Buell to any bike you want with a 1125+ motor and draw your own conclusions. I picked all bikes with less cc's off the top of my head in the middle of the night. The comparison FB posted was with the Tuono, 1125CR and the Ducati Streetfighter. Personally, I honestly believe that a SV1000 would take the Buell in a straight up contest with similar mods but that's just me being a Suzuki fan boy!

Amber Lamps 10-21-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 281153)
consider the source...

I didn't go there but I was like," Who are these guys and why should I care what they think?":lol:

z06boy 10-21-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 281190)
Yea one of the NEW ones for a cruising around bike, I definitely don't see it as a replacement for my GSXR.

I was just kidding after reading your passionate post. :lol:

At the current prices I admit...I'd buy one if I was in the market for a bike.

Rider 10-21-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06boy (Post 281208)
I was just kidding after reading your passionate post. :lol:

At the current prices I admit...I'd buy one if I was in the market for a bike.

Hell yeah. I'd ride a Buell for the price they are going for now. They can't be THAT bad. ANYTHING with 2 wheels is fun.

derf 10-21-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 281213)
Hell yeah. I'd ride a Buell for the price they are going for now. They can't be THAT bad. ANYTHING with 2 wheels is fun.

5k for a new bike.... yeh I'd take it I'm gonna offer the local dealership my bike as a trade for an 1125, we shall see what they say, the retail value is 4250, trade in is 3000, hell I would pay up to 1k and a trade in for a new 1125r

CasterTroy 10-21-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 281315)
5k for a new bike.... yeh I'd take it I'm gonna offer the local dealership my bike as a trade for an 1125, we shall see what they say, the retail value is 4250, trade in is 3000, hell I would pay up to 1k and a trade in for a new 1125r

Unless they're VASTLY different from all the dealers arounf here, they won't take a non-harley trade.

Also, I found out HD is paying dealer $5000 for ever Buell sold

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/3770/buellcr.jpg

Gas Man 10-21-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 280534)
Your wife does and she is more than willing to give us updates on you. :nee:

Yep... have fun with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 281143)
I know, Ewan and Charlie really put this bike on the map. I don't think it's the biggest fanboy bike by any means. It's not even close. Gixxers beat it easy, but the king of fanboy bikes stands alone without question and no one can deny it: Harley. If you question that, you are clueless.

As far as my bike, I fully understand I could have a fuel pump failure or a final drive failure (major issues with this bike.) I know it's far from perfect and will fully admit it. I don't think it's a bike for everyone and wouldn't recommend it unless I knew it was something you were looking for.

Yes Ewan and Charlie did...big time.

I will agree on the HD thing... and for good reason. HD put serious time and money into that fact. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, has been able to brand themselves better. Really, whether you like HD or not, you must say hats off to them for that.

Quote:

DO IT!:dribble:

tommymac 10-21-2009 04:49 PM

they would prolly laugh at me if I tried to trade in my futura :lol:

But hey at least its not jappanese LOL

Tom

derf 10-21-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasterTroy (Post 281323)
Unless they're VASTLY different from all the dealers arounf here, they won't take a non-harley trade.

http://www.barbshd.com/default.asp

Nope, this place likes me. They also give a $500 mil discount on new or used bikes, and they deal in used imports. Right now they have on their lot an F41, Fz6, 919, and a bunch of metric cruisers.

http://www.barbshd.com/default.asp

CasterTroy 10-21-2009 04:56 PM

WOW that IS vastly different from ANY of them down here!

Trip 10-21-2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 281324)
Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, has been able to brand themselves better. Really, whether you like HD or not, you must say hats off to them for that.

One problem, I don't believe it was HD that did it. It's the public that did it. It's the biker gangs and the publics vision of them. The whole outlaw perception. HD played off that. Recent HD ads, I would say have for the most part been targeting lame middle age people. The bike sold itself more than HD sold it.

Plus I don't believe a fanboy perception is a good image. It's means no matter if the product is great or the worst thing ever, you are a stupid sheep and will buy it anyway.

Amber Lamps 10-21-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 281406)
One problem, I don't believe it was HD that did it. It's the public that did it. It's the biker gangs and the publics vision of them. The whole outlaw perception. HD played off that. Recent HD ads, I would say have for the most part been targeting lame middle age people. The bike sold itself more than HD sold it.

Plus I don't believe a fanboy perception is a good image. It's means no matter if the product is great or the worst thing ever, you are a stupid sheep and will buy it anyway.

Hey I've been guilty of drinking HD kool-aid myself! I literally waited months for the bike and it broke down within a couple hundred miles and I accepted that as just part of the deal...:idk: I'm not sure if it was genius marketing by Harley or not but it has always amazed me that people were willing to pay top dollar, almost double at times, for a bike that you KNEW was going to break down, require 3 or 4 times the maintenance, have less performance in every category, almost REQUIRE aftermarket parts, and to top it off-you would have to wait for up to 2 years to get it!!! I know that things have changed but that was the deal for about a decade!!!

BTW someone mentioned the fact that Jap bikes cost almost the same as HD... The Japanese MFGrs have two choices either pay the huge tariffs or build their bikes using over-priced American labor. Either way, it was going to impact the price of a bike. If they could build their bikes overseas and ship them here without tariff, we'd be able to buy GSXR1000s for $8,000!

Homeslice 10-21-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

your 900 has a retail of 4250??

you can't be serious...

I bought my 929 for 4400, with Ohlins, and that was over a year ago

dReWpY 10-21-2009 07:41 PM

900 is a collectors bike imho

Homeslice 10-21-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 281426)
900 is a collectors bike imho

the 93-95 maybe

derf 10-21-2009 07:45 PM

The Jap bikes are not prices comparitevly. Excluding the mobile homes known as gold wings, A zx14 is 12k, busa 13k, honda fury & cbr1000 12k, R1 is 13k. vs the top of the line harleys are 16k and up, and until the last year or 2 good luck paying MSRP.

Homeslice 10-21-2009 07:51 PM

eh, well there are a few dealers in Cali selling the 1000rr for only $9K flat

Dave 10-21-2009 07:55 PM

hell desimone ducati has 1098S for 5k off sticker. that was two weeks ago might be more now.

Amber Lamps 10-21-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 281431)
hell desimone ducati has 1098S for 5k off sticker. that was two weeks ago might be more now.

Yep a bud I ride with got a 1098 for just over $11,000 OTD!!!:drool:

Dave 10-21-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 281435)
Yep a bud I ride with got a 1098 for just over $11,000 OTD!!!:drool:

crazyiness. too bad they dont come setup better, id be tempted come tax time

Amber Lamps 10-21-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 281438)
crazyiness. too bad they dont come setup better, id be tempted come tax time

It's a strange world my friend!:lol: I never seem to have big money when these opportunities come along!!!:panic:

Dave 10-21-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 281443)
It's a strange world my friend!:lol: I never seem to have big money when these opportunities come along!!!:panic:

aint it funny how that works? cant even give them the nsx and ask for the bike back plus 10k cash :lol: actually if i could do that id be driving to new braunfels for a black rsv4r :boobs:

Adeptus_Minor 10-21-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 281443)

I know that feeling.
I missed a chance at a greatly discounted Ducati (749 Dark, I believe it was?) a few years ago because I didn't have cash on hand when the dealership was doing a closeout deal on them.
Hopefully I won't miss another opportunity like that.

Gas Man 10-22-2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 281406)

I can agree with that somewhat. But I think there is more to it than that. Look at the appearal line.

I agree that fanboy is not a good image. But I would reserve that for the HD appereal wearing peeps that don't own one. I go to these free bbqs at my HD dealer. I hate having to stand there behind some fat POS cracker trash that doesn't own a HD and never will. I told the dealership that if you own a HD you should get better privilages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 281415)
Hey I've been guilty of drinking HD kool-aid myself! I literally waited months for the bike and it broke down within a couple hundred miles and I accepted that as just part of the deal...:idk: I'm not sure if it was genius marketing by Harley or not but it has always amazed me that people were willing to pay top dollar, almost double at times, for a bike that you KNEW was going to break down, require 3 or 4 times the maintenance, have less performance in every category, almost REQUIRE aftermarket parts, and to top it off-you would have to wait for up to 2 years to get it!!! I know that things have changed but that was the deal for about a decade!!!

BTW someone mentioned the fact that Jap bikes cost almost the same as HD... The Japanese MFGrs have two choices either pay the huge tariffs or build their bikes using over-priced American labor. Either way, it was going to impact the price of a bike. If they could build their bikes overseas and ship them here without tariff, we'd be able to buy GSXR1000s for $8,000!

Well i will tell you something <knock on wood>. I am on my way to 7k on my ultra and have only had one problem with the throttle sensor. But it never left me stranded. Just threw a check engine code and put it into restricted throttle. And I don't think they are anything like what you expierenced.

I can tell you first hand... there is a big difference between 2002 and hell even 2005 and the newer bikes. They have made huge changes. My 2009 FLH is a great example.

And you touched on a few facts to pricing for sure.