Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Making universal broadband service a reality (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=12315)

Flexin 12-21-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smittie61984 (Post 308927)
I don't care if they have access to it.

I do care if the government is doing it (even under the pretense that it will boost our economy). I don't trust the US Government one bit and I really do not like them near our communications (especially with such free flowing information such as the internet). The farther away they are from communications the happier I am and the better it is for our republic.

All they are going to do is to help fund it so companies have a reason to offer the service. They are not going to offer it or run it. BTW they don't need to run it to gain access to it.

And this is a quote from you

"So we have roughly 111million households in the U.S. and only 1.11million are missing out on broadband?"

What kind of info do you think they are getting that they need to get the last 1.11 million of people online with high speed internet?

I don't know what it is that people are worried about them getting.

James

Smittie61984 12-21-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flexin (Post 308936)
All they are going to do is to help fund it so companies have a reason to offer the service. They are not going to offer it or run it.

That's what they told GM too.

Homeslice 12-21-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flexin (Post 308923)
It really doesn't matter what they use it for but what the problem with making it available?

James

I have 2 problems:
1) Why is high-speed internet considered a "right"?
2) More importantly, the cost per person reached has gotta be much higher in sparsely-populated areas. In some places you could put up a tower that would only reach 2-3 people.

Sean 12-21-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flexin (Post 308923)
It really doesn't matter what they use it for but what the problem with making it available?

James

YOU pay for it.

We all pay for it, but in case you nitwits missed it, we all benefit. The plan calls for improvements in bandwidth and capacities for all, in order to catch up to other countries, since we now rank 15th.

Flexin 12-22-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 308943)
I have 2 problems:
1) Why is high-speed internet considered a "right"?
2) More importantly, the cost per person reached has gotta be much higher in sparsely-populated areas. In some places you could put up a tower that would only reach 2-3 people.

Maybe I missed where they called it a "right". They believe that it will help by people and the economy by making it available to as many people as possible.

Yes the cost per person is higher thats why the government wants to step in and help with funding so that this service can be offered.

James

Flexin 12-22-2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 308945)
YOU pay for it.

YOU also paid for those robo toilet seats back in the day that car collecting dust somewhere in a back room (I think they did sell them off years ago but they were collecting dust). At least this is something that will be used and can also be helpful as unknownroad pointed out.

James

Sean 12-22-2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flexin (Post 308950)
YOU also paid for those robo toilet seats back in the day that car collecting dust somewhere in a back room (I think they did sell them off years ago but they were collecting dust). At least this is something that will be used and can also be helpful as unknownroad pointed out.

James

"We already waste" is the line you tow in every single argument, and it's equally irrelevant every time. If we funded every single thing anyone wanted because hey, there's waste elsewhere, so why not? We'd have the finances of Zimbabwe. Waste is not an excuse for more waste. If someone wants something so badly they can pay for it themselves. I'd benefit from a subway stop in my front yard but you don't see me campaigning for it because "hey, there's waste elsewhere, and at least this will benefit people" because incremental costs are still costs, no matter where they are.

Flexin 12-22-2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 308953)
"We already waste" is the line you tow in every single argument, and it's equally irrelevant every time. If we funded every single thing anyone wanted because hey, there's waste elsewhere, so why not? We'd have the finances of Zimbabwe. Waste is not an excuse for more waste. If someone wants something so badly they can pay for it themselves. I'd benefit from a subway stop in my front yard but you don't see me campaigning for it because "hey, there's waste elsewhere, and at least this will benefit people" because incremental costs are still costs, no matter where they are.

I'm not saying do it because money is wasted everyday. I'm saying this does have a use.

James

Sean 12-22-2009 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flexin (Post 308955)
I'm not saying do it because money is wasted everyday. I'm saying this does have a use.

James

Great, you need it, you pay for it. I can't understand why anyone would even argue that.

By the way, rural areas already have broadband in the form of satellite. It ain't as good as cable, but it's broadband.