Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Tire war room (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=462)

Phenix_Rider 03-10-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 12592)
I love my PP's. They haven't failed me yet..

I've heard they get "nervous" and "skittish" unless you have really good pavement "racetrack smooth." Anyway, mileage on them sucks...

Rider 03-10-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider (Post 12621)
I've heard they get "nervous" and "skittish" unless you have really good pavement "racetrack smooth." Anyway, mileage on them sucks...

I dont find that to be true.. And mileage on such a sticky tire is expected to suck. Show me a tire that performs just as well but gets better mileage.

marko138 03-10-2008 10:38 AM

Pilot Power. Period.

azoomm 03-10-2008 11:37 AM

I'm really curious how hard people are riding, and what comparisons you've made to come to the decision of which you see is the *best*. I mean, it's kind of like what brand of glove you wear... or what kind of bike you ride. :shrug:

Personally, I love the way the Dunlops get up to temp... STICKY and really great feel. That is, until they start to go. Once they go, they are booger and snot... GONE.

The Pirellis don't ever seem to get to a temp that makes me trust them. Or, maybe they get to temp, but don't ever seem sticky. Well, in comparison anyway.

Michelins have always been more expensive and difficult to get. And, the reviews at the track here have been sketchy... so I haven't personally tried them.

With the options in front of me, Avon and Conti are out.

So, do you have more of a reason for buying the tires that you do... other than "because"? :)

marko138 03-10-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 12691)
I'm really curious how hard people are riding, and what comparisons you've made to come to the decision of which you see is the *best*. I mean, it's kind of like what brand of glove you wear... or what kind of bike you ride. :shrug:

Personally, I love the way the Dunlops get up to temp... STICKY and really great feel. That is, until they start to go. Once they go, they are booger and snot... GONE.

The Pirellis don't ever seem to get to a temp that makes me trust them. Or, maybe they get to temp, but don't ever seem sticky. Well, in comparison anyway.

Michelins have always been more expensive and difficult to get. And, the reviews at the track here have been sketchy... so I haven't personally tried them.

With the options in front of me, Avon and Conti are out.

So, do you have more of a reason for buying the tires that you do... other than "because"? :)

Great question. I originally bought the Pilot Powers because they were all the rage. I love them. My bike turned in quicker. They come up to temp quickly. They inspire confidence. I've never felt them slide on me. Even when cold.

Then again I'm not Valentino Rossi....so I the tires are capable of more than I will ever give them.

azoomm 03-10-2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 12696)
Great question. I originally bought the Pilot Powers because they were all the rage. I love them. My bike turned in quicker. They come up to temp quickly. They inspire confidence. I've never felt them slide on me. Even when cold.

Then again I'm not Valentino Rossi....so I the tires are capable of more than I will ever give them.

True enough, on your last statement... none of us are REALLY testing tires. And, I'm not really one to argue with someone's beliefs. I mean, trusting your tires is HUGE... and I won't mess with that. I guess I'm just curious if people have actually tried other tires, or did they get one they liked and just stuck with it.

marko138 03-10-2008 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 12703)
True enough, on your last statement... none of us are REALLY testing tires. And, I'm not really one to argue with someone's beliefs. I mean, trusting your tires is HUGE... and I won't mess with that. I guess I'm just curious if people have actually tried other tires, or did they get one they liked and just stuck with it.

I came from Dunlop 208's before the Michelins. I really hated them. They slid all the time. I had very little confidence with them. Didn't trust them at all. The PP's where a night and day difference.

I'm just saying that there are probly alot of people on this board that are faster than I am....but for what I do the PP's work. Even on the track. As I get faster on the track I'll move up to PP 2CT's or Pilot Race. But thats a while off.

05svr650 03-10-2008 12:32 PM

I came from Dunlop Qualifiers. Spending every weekend riding "the dragon" you learn a lot about your tires and how they handle different situations. Me riding my SV650, I would have never thought I could slide my tires...wrong. After 2 or 3 spirited runs thru the 11 mile stretch I would start pushing the limits, the harder I pushed the more my rear would slide. I got to the point where I could dial a slide on any corner that I chose. Then came the day when they gave all they could give. I went down 2 times in one day. When the dunlops were finished they were finished, no signs nothing, just gone.

I've since switched to PP. These definately are not "dial a slide" tires. No matter how hard I try I can only slide them when they are not up to temp. Even then I get 4 small hops before they break loose. At this point in my riding abilities I am not able to push the PP's to their limits.

just my .02

Trip 03-10-2008 12:37 PM

I had the q's stock on my RR. They pretty much slid no matter if you wanted them to or not. I hated those tires.

dReWpY 03-10-2008 12:39 PM

i had dunlops on the zx6r and i slid on me in a couple turns and i lost all confidence in them, i bought a set of pp and never had a problem on them either from the zx6r or the torquey rc51 they held up well enough, i run 32 psi and get ~4k miles, i had to chose between dunlops and metzlers, i put on some miles at a brisk pace 2 up and never felt a hiccup or wiggle, but ill wait till i put some harder solo miles on it before the jury comes in on them and see how long they last to see if they are a viable option