Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   it is 75* today.... (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=21084)

dReWpY 03-13-2012 01:38 PM

it is 75* today....

Im going riding

Trip 03-13-2012 01:47 PM

I wish I had my motorcycle...

tommymac 03-13-2012 02:00 PM

Wanted to ride to work today but was raining prety hard this morning. Plus the jobsites a big mudpile after any heavy rain.

MikeSP1 03-13-2012 02:02 PM

it's 7*

OneSickPsycho 03-13-2012 02:19 PM

Real fucking cool, friend.

JARVIS518 03-13-2012 02:22 PM

i went on a short ride yesterday, need to do a few things before i do any long rides

RACER X 03-13-2012 02:39 PM

all wk long, high of 70-something

dReWpY 03-13-2012 02:53 PM

Hey I keep calling!!! why you know pick up?
I just got my phone back from Verizon and haven't had much contact with the outside world. my boss left and I have had to pull doubles and been dead to the world. I don't think I can make it. in trying like hell to make it. Im truly sorry.

pauldun170 03-13-2012 03:01 PM

Expired inspection - check
Tires that will not pass inspection mounted on bike - check
Brand new set of Dunlop q2's sitting next to bike - check
zx-11 sitting partially disassembled next to not inspected bike - check
My ass...47 miles away from all these shennanigans in garage - check
Wife filling up weekend with "We gotta do this...we gotta do that" - check

If all goes to plan...I will get everything done in time for the next cold snap.

"Inspected bike ready to ride with fresh tires, ZX-11 purring like a kitten with 4 sale sign and 40 degrees out...torrential rain - check"

Porkchop 03-13-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 508026)
I wish I had my motorcycle...

Me too. Mine is 45 minutes away and I have class all night. No time to go get it. :bash:

It is running now too. I've been slacking on posting up my build progress like I have over at VFRW. Maybe I'll do that tonight.... maybe. :lol:

Cutty72 03-13-2012 04:45 PM

bike 180 miles away on a farm on muddy gravel roads (and in need of a valve check/adjustment)

I'll be back this weekend, but the gravel is going to take awhile to become rideable.
Joys of living on a farm.

njchopper87 03-13-2012 05:33 PM

Eh.. it was beautiful out while I was in class today, but when I stepped out it was already drizzling.. then when I actually hopped on the bike and rounded the corner it started pouring. Yay.

It's always that same road I run into downpours on.. maybe I should find a different way home? >.>

Rangerscott 03-13-2012 05:44 PM

82 here. :boobs:

Switch 03-13-2012 07:58 PM

I went for a run today. twas nice.

tommymac 03-13-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 508055)
bike 180 miles away on a farm on muddy gravel roads (and in need of a valve check/adjustment)

I'll be back this weekend, but the gravel is going to take awhile to become rideable.
Joys of living on a farm.

LMK how much of a pita the valve check is, not near 12k yet but hope to get a lot closer this season.

derf 03-13-2012 08:56 PM

work -> gym -> balance and mount tires

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...07923632_n.jpg

Sixxxxer 03-13-2012 10:50 PM

I need to Order some Oil from Gas Man (Doing this Thursday)

Wait for the Oil to get here Then change said oil...

I hope to be riding by the end of next weekend!!

dReWpY 03-13-2012 10:55 PM

Got 150 miles in....

Sixxxxer 03-13-2012 11:10 PM

I woulda had a good chunk of riding in today...It felt like a crime to drive my truck to work in such beautiful weather.

tommymac 03-14-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508087)
I woulda had a good chunk of riding in today...It felt like a crime to drive my truck to work in such beautiful weather.

Sux doesnt it. I had to drive to work yesterday becasue of the damn rain and would have beena nice ride home. Oh well, with this weather i may be putting the car away soon anyway LOL

Cutty72 03-14-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508078)
LMK how much of a pita the valve check is, not near 12k yet but hope to get a lot closer this season.

Will do. I'm over (14k+) but didn't want to stop riding during the season, then got busy...

Here's hoping I can find a cheap shim kit and my service manual!
Stupid packing to move...

tommymac 03-14-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 508106)
Will do. I'm over (14k+) but didn't want to stop riding during the season, then got busy...

Here's hoping I can find a cheap shim kit and my service manual!
Stupid packing to move...

Cant help ya on the shims but do have the manual if you need any help or cant find yours.

Rangerscott 03-14-2012 01:25 PM

Rolled over 54k this morning.

Cutty72 03-14-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508125)
Cant help ya on the shims but do have the manual if you need any help or cant find yours.

Thanks, hope I can find mine but I'll let you know.

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/ktm.html

This is the kit most guys are getting... going to end up with a lot of extra shims with this!!!

OneSickPsycho 03-14-2012 03:34 PM

I've done 15 miles on my bicycle this week...

tallywacker 03-14-2012 10:01 PM

I rode today and plan to tomorrow

tommymac 03-15-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 508166)
Thanks, hope I can find mine but I'll let you know.

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/ktm.html

This is the kit most guys are getting... going to end up with a lot of extra shims with this!!!

Since it was a rotax motor I was hoping they were the same shims as my futura, I have part of the motor pulled apart and i would have taken the shims out and kept em as spares LOL

Well heres to hoping I get that far by seasons end. I did put the saddleman seat on and will probably change the oil either thurs or friday and get it out for a sunday ride for a few hrs.

njchopper87 03-15-2012 03:35 PM

It has begun.. 2 giant bugs and what could have passed as a bird struck my helmet today. It is summer. Yes, I said that right. Not spring; summer. Anything 80*+ = summer to me. It's going to be really fucking hot this year. ; ;

derf 03-15-2012 04:20 PM

Unless your head was knocked back and some one else can hear you through the the inter com then it wander that bad

tommymac 03-15-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 508275)
Unless your head was knocked back and some one else can hear you through the the inter com then it wander that bad

the suicidal sparrow on the BRP :lol:

tallywacker 03-15-2012 07:54 PM

80 today and got rained on. Still had a great day

njchopper87 03-15-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 508275)

rofl nah not that bad.. it caught the side of my helmet. I actually thought someone threw a rock at first since there was some force behind the impact, but I didn't see anyone in the mirrors.

Porkchop 03-15-2012 09:06 PM

I finally got to ride last night for the first time since July 15th of last year... gotta say it felt a little weird, but totally awesome!

dReWpY 03-15-2012 09:33 PM

I aminlove with thisbuell. wish it had the hp of the 1125 or rc but the sound is amazing?

Gas Man 03-15-2012 10:26 PM

The nightster is GTG

The ultra
-make a new exhaust bracket for the cross over pipe
-finish installing the rest of the exhaust & heat shields
- pull fairing and wire up heated grips
- re-install the fairing with the new windshield

I also need to put the garage into summer mode and kick the wife's car out.

derf 03-15-2012 11:50 PM

Rode the KLR in the AM and the CBR in the PM.

KLR feels different with new tires, tires that are not flat in the center. The bike now feels tippy and a little easier to throw into corners.

The CBR needs a new battery? Again? Damnit. I put one in last year. I rode it maybe a dozen times this winter, went through 3 tanks of gas, but the voltmeter was showing 11.9v this afternoon. It stays on the charger when not in use so I'm a little pissed. This is the 4th year I've had the bike, and the 3rd battery I have put in it in the spring. Hmmmm.....

dReWpY 03-16-2012 03:11 AM

Stop being Jewish and buy a decent battery

tommymac 03-16-2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 508310)
Rode the KLR in the AM and the CBR in the PM.

KLR feels different with new tires, tires that are not flat in the center. The bike now feels tippy and a little easier to throw into corners.

The CBR needs a new battery? Again? Damnit. I put one in last year. I rode it maybe a dozen times this winter, went through 3 tanks of gas, but the voltmeter was showing 11.9v this afternoon. It stays on the charger when not in use so I'm a little pissed. This is the 4th year I've had the bike, and the 3rd battery I have put in it in the spring. Hmmmm.....

Problems with the voltage regulator?

derf 03-16-2012 06:04 AM

No i dpointy think so, I started it and let it run for 20 mins in the garage last month and didn't actually use the bike, i think that killed the battery

Cutty72 03-16-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508207)
Since it was a rotax motor I was hoping they were the same shims as my futura, I have part of the motor pulled apart and i would have taken the shims out and kept em as spares LOL

Well heres to hoping I get that far by seasons end. I did put the saddleman seat on and will probably change the oil either thurs or friday and get it out for a sunday ride for a few hrs.

Found the manual, so I should be good.
Now just wait for the shims to show up and a free weekend... probably 2 weeks away yet.

I would like to wear out the Angels that are on there (hope they last 8k, I have 1k on them) and get another set broke in.

Rangerscott 03-16-2012 05:55 PM

Love reading threads like this because I dont have to expierence bike fever.

Sixxxxer 03-16-2012 07:32 PM

Just did the Jumper Mod on my bike...Got my Oil Filter, Waiting for the Oil to get here from wherever it got shipped from...And I'll be Back in the saddle soon!!

tommymac 03-16-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508378)
Just did the Jumper Mod on my bike...Got my Oil Filter, Waiting for the Oil to get here from wherever it got shipped from...And I'll be Back in the saddle soon!!

Jumper mod, what is that?

For me th ebuell needs an oil change and gotta bleed the front brake and is good to go.

Triumph is up and going, I need an adapter so I can wire up the gps.

Rangerscott 03-16-2012 09:40 PM

Got a little rained on today but still nice. Wind has been behaving for the last 4 days. For once the wind is not suppose to blow this weekend. Seems like mon-fri will be nice and then the wind blows 40-50 on the weekend. FUCK YOU WIND!

Porkchop 03-16-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508379)
Jumper mod, what is that?

For me th ebuell needs an oil change and gotta bleed the front brake and is good to go.

Triumph is up and going, I need an adapter so I can wire up the gps.

You jump a circuit in the tail with a wire or paperclip that unlocks the Euro spec EFI maps. Unlocks power really high up in the rev range at about 13k rpm. Everybody gets all giddy about 5-6 hp, but some of the idiots online dont realize its all the way at the top of the powerband so you have to be cooking to get at it. Plus there are also people that say the setting is set up for Euro strength fuel. Helped my bud do it to his 06 636... he said he noticed some change. :idk:

Sixxxxer 03-16-2012 11:15 PM

Yep, Chop nailed it...And While I'm rarely at 13k During everyday riding...It's free Power. So why not have it? I've also read that it smooths out the throttle response throughout the entire power band. And the bike does fall flat on its face after 12k...And who doesn't love a quick trip to redline every now and then?

Porkchop 03-16-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508392)
Yep, Chop nailed it...And While I'm rarely at 13k During everyday riding...It's free Power. So why not have it? I've also read that it smooths out the throttle response throughout the entire power band. And the bike does fall flat on its face after 12k...And who doesn't love a quick trip to redline every now and then?

:lol: I didn't mean you. I'm talking about the people who think its a 15hp gain from the pull of the throttle. I have heard they do have a good drop off up high, but I thought that was the 05-06s? I thought they fixed that on your gen? Fantastic mod for track fun though...

Sixxxxer 03-16-2012 11:38 PM

No 05 to 08 But i think even the 09's and up can do it to...And no Mine falls flat on its face at 12k...From what guys have said it pulls strong all the way to redline after the jumper mod.

Porkchop 03-17-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508396)
No 05 to 08 But i think even the 09's and up can do it to...And no Mine falls flat on its face at 12k...From what guys have said it pulls strong all the way to redline after the jumper mod.

Will have to do a ride report after...

azoomm 03-17-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 508384)
Got a little rained on today but still nice. Wind has been behaving for the last 4 days. For once the wind is not suppose to blow this weekend. Seems like mon-fri will be nice and then the wind blows 40-50 on the weekend. FUCK YOU WIND!

Yeah, in Daytona I found that my GS wags when there is some serious wind and I'm going about 90.

When talking to someone about it, they said I shouldn't be going 90. I found that to be an odd suggestion on Florida roads.

Rangerscott 03-18-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 508427)
Yeah, in Daytona I found that my GS wags when there is some serious wind and I'm going about 90.

When talking to someone about it, they said I shouldn't be going 90. I found that to be an odd suggestion on Florida roads.

People still think it's 65 at night. Odd is normal.

dReWpY 03-18-2012 11:10 PM

I got a hundred miles in today ... feels good man

derf 03-18-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 508427)

I hast nothing to do with the fact that you were in florida, it had every thing to do with the fact that you have an innie not an outie

tallywacker 03-19-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dReWpY (Post 508489)
I got a hundred miles in today ... feels good man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twCdhUYb1As

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 12:28 AM

got 60 miles or so under my belt today...Changed the Oil...Fucked around with the oil filter, Kawasaki Engineers are fucking bright with there design for the location on my bike.

This was the aftermath of my attempt at going at this thing without the "right" tool...And I use that term loosely because I used oil filter tools to try and remove this fucking thing.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...89628485_n.jpg

With that being said, Amsoil in my bike didnt make Huge leaps and Bounds...But the clutch engagement seems alot smoother from a stop when clicking down into 1st. And Downshifting also felt alot smoother than before.

All in all I'm happy with it. And will probably stick with it for the life of the bike.

tommymac 03-20-2012 07:11 AM

what were you running before?

tallywacker 03-20-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508583)
got 60 miles or so under my belt today...Changed the Oil...Fucked around with the oil filter, Kawasaki Engineers are fucking bright with there design for the location on my bike.

This was the aftermath of my attempt at going at this thing without the "right" tool...And I use that term loosely because I used oil filter tools to try and remove this fucking thing.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...89628485_n.jpg

With that being said, Amsoil in my bike didnt make Huge leaps and Bounds...But the clutch engagement seems alot smoother from a stop when clicking down into 1st. And Downshifting also felt alot smoother than before.

All in all I'm happy with it. And will probably stick with it for the life of the bike.

I love my location, It's in plain sight and can be removed easily

derf 03-20-2012 09:15 AM

Did that thing possibly have a soul you were trying to steal? Holy shit, I mean really, I've always had filters that were kind of hard to get to, but I never destroyed one like that.

tommymac 03-20-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 508598)
Did that thing possibly have a soul you were trying to steal? Holy shit, I mean really, I've always had filters that were kind of hard to get to, but I never destroyed one like that.

I trashed a few like that on my tl. Put hte screwdriver through it and it tore it up good before it broke loose.

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508588)
what were you running before?

Whatever the Kawasaki Dealer uses for Oil...Kawi Has there own oil...It just says Kawasaki Performance Motorcycle Oil on it. A few people swear Suzuki's Oil is Motul just re labeled...So who knows if Kawi's is anything of the same sort.

And I'll snap a picture of the Filter housing when I get a chance...It's not in a good spot...At all.

tommymac 03-20-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508614)
Whatever the Kawasaki Dealer uses for Oil...Kawi Has there own oil...It just says Kawasaki Performance Motorcycle Oil on it. A few people swear Suzuki's Oil is Motul just re labeled...So who knows if Kawi's is anything of the same sort.

And I'll snap a picture of the Filter housing when I get a chance...It's not in a good spot...At all.

I think honda and yamaha have their own too, never went for those though used to use the belray or motul.

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 12:45 PM

People have started WARS over Oil...And what to use and what not to use. I've used a shit ton of different brands in my vehicles...My motorcycle just now got Amsoil after Dealership Oil changes...But it's never going there for one again. They fucking rape me in labor to do an oil change and with my learning curve complete for the proper way to take off the oil filter...It will now be a 10 minute process.

tommymac 03-20-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508616)
People have started WARS over Oil...And what to use and what not to use. I've used a shit ton of different brands in my vehicles...My motorcycle just now got Amsoil after Dealership Oil changes...But it's never going there for one again. They fucking rape me in labor to do an oil change and with my learning curve complete for the proper way to take off the oil filter...It will now be a 10 minute process.

oil and tires are worse than politics and religon on MC boards, esp if you get a few pseudo experts on said subject. I have seen it get nasty on other forums.

I am all about avoiding the dealer outside of warantee work and inspections. Too bad you werent closer, can have you come by here and knock out, have the space, tools and knowhow so all basic maintenance and soem more advanced stuff can be done here for a few cold beers ;)

Just dont ask me ot help with electronics/wiring :lol:

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508626)
oil and tires are worse than politics and religon on MC boards, esp if you get a few pseudo experts on said subject. I have seen it get nasty on other forums.

I am all about avoiding the dealer outside of warantee work and inspections. Too bad you werent closer, can have you come by here and knock out, have the space, tools and knowhow so all basic maintenance and soem more advanced stuff can be done here for a few cold beers ;)

Just dont ask me ot help with electronics/wiring :lol:

Your not THAT Far...So when I do my Sprockets and New chain I'll load the bike up and come visit!! At least I think you have the Chain Tool needed?

Besides I've been wanting to come up there a get a good ride in with you and your "Better" new york roads.

tommymac 03-20-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508628)
Your not THAT Far...So when I do my Sprockets and New chain I'll load the bike up and come visit!! At least I think you have the Chain Tool needed?

Besides I've been wanting to come up there a get a good ride in with you and your "Better" new york roads.

have the chain tool so we can knock that out fairly quickly. I have most of th elarger size sockets for the rear wheel and countershaft. I just would want to know what size is on the kawi, so we dont have to make an unplanned trip to sears LOL.

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 02:23 PM

My Rear Axle nut/ and Front sprocket nut are both 32MM

tommymac 03-20-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508635)
My Rear Axle nut/ and Front sprocket nut are both 32MM

thats easy, I think I have 2 32mm, sacraficed one to make a socket to remove the swingarm bolt and steering stem nut

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 02:45 PM

Good to know! I thought I would be replacing my Sprockets/Chain Sooner than I thought...Turns out a Proper Adjustment to the chain and a solid cleaning/lubrication and it fixed the issue I was having last year. I thought my Front sprocket was shot and it was making a nasty crunchy sound the final month or so of me riding it. Turns out it was excessive chain slap and super loose.

Yet another reason for me to never take it to a dealer again...As gas man's Sig says...Why pay someone to fuck your shit up for you?

Trip 03-20-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508642)
Yet another reason for me to never take it to a dealer again...As gas man's Sig says...Why pay someone to fuck your shit up for you?

You waited for dealer recommended oil changes for your chain to be checked? Good fucking god....

That's like a preride checklist thing.

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 02:52 PM

What's a pre ride checklist?

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 02:58 PM

After The 09' Rally I took it to get tires put on and the oil changed...I asked them to adjust the chain since they were already doing work to the bike. Since that Visit till now I put barely 3k on the bike...And it was all NJ riding which is flat and straight.

And it wasnt noticeable until the last good month we had to ride up here...But it still shocked me that it was that far off...Because I rode the bike almost 3 thousand miles in 11 days to the 08' Rally and that was way harder on the bike than me riding around where I live. The only curves we have are on ramps...And I dont check the adjustment of the chain every single time I ride the bike...But it gets looked over more often than not.

tommymac 03-20-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508645)
After The 09' Rally I took it to get tires put on and the oil changed...I asked them to adjust the chain since they were already doing work to the bike. Since that Visit till now I put barely 3k on the bike...And it was all NJ riding which is flat and straight.

And it wasnt noticeable until the last good month we had to ride up here...But it still shocked me that it was that far off...Because I rode the bike almost 3 thousand miles in 11 days to the 08' Rally and that was way harder on the bike than me riding around where I live. The only curves we have are on ramps...And I dont check the adjustment of the chain every single time I ride the bike...But it gets looked over more often than not.

Gues syou dont wan tto hear I will turn 10k on the triumph this week an dI bought it new back in august.

I dont check th eslack too often but have to clean it quite a bit since I am going through a lot of muck and concrete getting on and of fthe site. A lot of the dust/debris can get in and mess up the o-rings

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508647)
Gues syou dont wan tto hear I will turn 10k on the triumph this week an dI bought it new back in august.

I dont check th eslack too often but have to clean it quite a bit since I am going through a lot of muck and concrete getting on and of fthe site. A lot of the dust/debris can get in and mess up the o-rings

Goddamn Tommy...That's hauling!!

I have bad Chain Etiquette. But other than riding in the rain I dont get much debris on my chain. I do need to lube it more often than I do.

Trip 03-20-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508647)

You can tell it's off easily while cleaning/lubing it. Maintaining it should pretty much count as checking for slack.

Trip 03-20-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508649)
Goddamn Tommy...That's hauling!!

I have bad Chain Etiquette. But other than riding in the rain I dont get much debris on my chain. I do need to lube it more often than I do.

You sound like Kyle, Kyle didn't do a damn thing to his and his bike started running like complete shit. He took off the front sprocket cover and it was full of rocks and shit.

tommymac 03-20-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 508650)
You can tell it's off easily while cleaning/lubing it. Maintaining it should pretty much count as checking for slack.

I have checked it a few times and it was ok, I havent checked it since I started riding it regularly the last 2 weeks. I am swapping my tires wed/thurs so Iiwll give it a look then.

An old local mechanic go tme into the habit of cleaning my chain. if it was dirty/rusty he would yell at you, so I started doing it so I wouldnt get yelled at if nothing else. if I wasnt going on and off hte jobsites so much I wouldnt have to clean it as much.

Apparently there is also debate on chain cleaning too, but I do buy into not using too much lube as it can help collect dirt/debris if its realy globbed on there.

Trip 03-20-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508655)
I have checked it a few times and it was ok, I havent checked it since I started riding it regularly the last 2 weeks. I am swapping my tires wed/thurs so Iiwll give it a look then.

An old local mechanic go tme into the habit of cleaning my chain. if it was dirty/rusty he would yell at you, so I started doing it so I wouldnt get yelled at if nothing else. if I wasnt going on and off hte jobsites so much I wouldnt have to clean it as much.

Apparently there is also debate on chain cleaning too, but I do buy into not using too much lube as it can help collect dirt/debris if its realy globbed on there.

I clean and lube my chained bikes pretty regularly. My shit always look new, except when I buy a poorly maintained chain like what was on the DRZ. Damn Fatburg. LOL

tommymac 03-20-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 508656)
I clean and lube my chained bikes pretty regularly. My shit always look new, except when I buy a poorly maintained chain like what was on the DRZ. Damn Fatburg. LOL

I always try to keep the chain clean so I can easily notice that orange color of the grease as some of the rings start to fail.

Mines looking good for now but may swap it out at the end of this season, I will likley break 20k by fall and with all the riding on the jobsites I dont need a catastrophic failure.

azoomm 03-20-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 508656)

I get yelled at all the time because my GS is "too clean."

In fact, I put new tires on it before going to Daytona. I had people asking me if it was a new bike because the tires had nipples on them. I reminded them you can actually buy new tires and replace the existing ones :lol: I learned my lesson not cleaning bikes - bad shit happens...

Trip 03-20-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 508659)
I get yelled at all the time because my GS is "too clean."

In fact, I put new tires on it before going to Daytona. I had people asking me if it was a new bike because the tires had nipples on them. I reminded them you can actually buy new tires and replace the existing ones :lol: I learned my lesson not cleaning bikes - bad shit happens...

I let the GS get dirty and stay dirty on occassion, but the working parts of it I will make sure everything is maintained and clean.

tommymac 03-20-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 508663)
I let the GS get dirty and stay dirty on occassion, but the working parts of it I will make sure everything is maintained and clean.

Thats the important part. A lot of times my futura looked like hell but chain was well maintained as was most of the other working parts.

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 05:35 PM

The plastics on my bike are dirty as hell. But everything else is Maintained. And yeah Trip I lubed my chain Once all of last year...But my Front sprocket cover def didnt have rocks falling out of it.

My chain has some rust "Spots" but overall it's still in good shape. I'll most likely replace it the end of this year

tommymac 03-20-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508668)
The plastics on my bike are dirty as hell. But everything else is Maintained. And yeah Trip I lubed my chain Once all of last year...But my Front sprocket cover def didnt have rocks falling out of it.

My chain has some rust "Spots" but overall it's still in good shape. I'll most likely replace it the end of this year

Could try for a twf wrenching/bbq up at my place. Grab fred and dave on your way up and we will see if we can persuade marko to leave the commonwealth for a day.

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 05:45 PM

Im down...Dave def should consider it as his new found love of a bike has some issues to be sorted out...Lol.

Fred I havent seen since the 09' rally...He went and moved down to mary land.

tommymac 03-20-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508673)
Im down...Dave def should consider it as his new found love of a bike has some issues to be sorted out...Lol.

I will get the trailer ready if I have to go rescue dave LOL

Fred comes up to LI from time to time, either him or his wife has family up here, and they stopped by the house on one of their trips home.

Cutty72 03-20-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508583)

Let us know how it works with more miles on it. Took a couple hundred for me to actually notice the difference on the Buell.

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 508688)
Let us know how it works with more miles on it. Took a couple hundred for me to actually notice the difference on the Buell.

Will do. I put about 150 on it so far the past two days...Just glad to be back on 2 sooner than I was last year!

Dave 03-21-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508673)

Might be doable. I gotta do the gear oils at least

Switch 03-21-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 508651)
You sound like Kyle, Kyle didn't do a damn thing to his and his bike started running like complete shit. He took off the front sprocket cover and it was full of rocks and shit.

To be fair, I don't think they were rocks. I think it was pieces of sprocket.

Trip 03-21-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Switch (Post 508778)
To be fair, I don't think they were rocks. I think it was pieces of sprocket.

Was that the cycle gear sprocket?

derf 03-21-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508599)
I trashed a few like that on my tl. Put hte screwdriver through it and it tore it up good before it broke loose.

If I cant get it off with the strap wrench, I just stab it with the screw driver and it will twist right off, but that filter looks like a t-rex was using it for a chew toy

OneSickPsycho 03-22-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 508790)
If I cant get it off with the strap wrench, I just stab it with the screw driver and it will twist right off, but that filter looks like a t-rex was using it for a chew toy

Yep. My guess is channellocks.

derf 03-22-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 508823)
Yep. My guess is channellocks.

Or a baseball bat

Sixxxxer 03-22-2012 07:34 PM

Lol...I used A End cap style filter tool to start...That just spun around and wouldnt catch on the filter...Then I tried the screwdriver...And tore it all to hell. Then tried a swivel strap wrench...THEN Used this 3 pronged claw looking tool that finally caught the filter and I got it loose.

Gas Man 03-22-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508859)
Lol...I used A End cap style filter tool to start...That just spun around and wouldnt catch on the filter...Then I tried the screwdriver...And tore it all to hell. Then tried a swivel strap wrench...THEN Used this 3 pronged claw looking tool that finally caught the filter and I got it loose.

We could tell you destroyed it...

Cutty72 03-22-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508859)

Guessing a bearing/pulley puller? :lol: wow, totally not the correct usage of that tool, but whatever works for ya!

tommymac 03-22-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 508874)
Guessing a bearing/pulley puller? :lol: wow, totally not the correct usage of that tool, but whatever works for ya!

the right tool for the right job :lol:

Sixxxxer 03-22-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 508874)

Nothing Like that at all...

It's specifically made for an Oil Filter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...6/dc020db7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...6/f94aad43.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...6/6100c544.jpg

Gas Man 03-23-2012 01:08 AM

I have that as well. I have a craftsmen version.

tommymac 03-23-2012 02:43 AM

never saw a filter wrench like that before.