Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   BRP > Skyline Drive (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=19807)

derf 08-01-2011 12:19 AM

BRP > Skyline Drive

I did both of them this weekend (in the car), and I can clearly say that the BRP is much better by far than the skyline drive in Northern VA. The BRP leads right into Skyline, but at the start of the skyline there is a $15 per car fee to use the park (lame). The speed limit is also 35 and it really isnt a warranted drop in the speed limit either, there is nothing tighter on 90% of the road than on almost the entirety of the BRP, the road except for a few turns in quick succession in the northern end is all long fast sweepers. the skyline also has a much higher police/sheriff/ranger presence than the BRP, They mostly stuck to construction areas and the intersections, but there were as many cops as other people on the entire road.

I will say that the pavement on almost the entirety of the skyline is better, and the crappy pavement is in the process of being re-paved (quite a few sections). There was almost no traffic on the skyline either, I passes 4 cars in total over the entire 105 mile trip, and saw maybe 2 dozen coming in the opposite direction. The skyline seemed to also have much more wildlife, probably attributed to the lack of traffic, which resulted in a few near deer misses and 3 bear sightings.

Recommendation is to skip the skyline completely avoiding a $15 toll and just have fun on the BRP which is a great road in unto itself. good pavement and lack of traffic dont make up for the massive amounts of animals, lower speeds, larger police presence, and slightly lackluster overall experience

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyline_Drive

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/north.jpg
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...ad/central.jpg
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/south.jpg

tommymac 08-01-2011 01:11 AM

can you post a bigger map I cant see all the detail LOL

Trip 08-01-2011 08:39 AM

I could of told you that without the waste of time and $15. Skyline sucks...

Particle Man 08-01-2011 08:41 AM

Jeez - I kept scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling... :lmao:

derf 08-01-2011 09:58 AM

Sorry that was the biggest map I could find

fasternyou929 08-01-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 483651)
Jeez - I kept scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling... :lmao:

Probably took us longer to view the map than it took him to make the trip!

Gas Man 08-02-2011 09:03 PM

I'm still taking it to head south.

marko138 08-04-2011 11:02 AM

15 bucks? GFYS, Skyline Drive.

Trip 08-04-2011 11:21 AM

worst 15 bucks ever too. It's a boring drive at 35mph with tons of traffic in the fall. Stay away Gas, stay far away. Just start at the beginning of the BRP.

Cutty72 08-04-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 484126)
worst 15 bucks ever too. It's a boring drive at 35mph with tons of traffic in the fall. Stay away Gas, stay far away. Just start at the beginning of the BRP.

Boring 35 mph drive, spending money on useless things... sounds like a HD riders dream! :lol:

marko138 08-04-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 484138)
Boring 35 mph drive, spending money on useless things... sounds like a HD riders dream! :lol:

Zing!

Krypt Keeper 08-04-2011 02:49 PM

Just skip skyline and jump onto the BRP at the start on Afton mountain to head south.

I did the entire VA section of the BRP down and back up one weekend a few yrs ago.. Sure there is some fun turns but the 45mph is a killer.. A speeding ticket is also a federal ticket if your caught. They do park and shoot radar in some areas.

I mainly just use the BRP to get to and from other great roads to play on.

Trip 08-04-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper (Post 484188)
45mph is a killer.. A speeding ticket is also a federal ticket if your caught. They do park and shoot radar in some areas.

He's on a Harley.

Krypt Keeper 08-05-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 484190)
He's on a Harley.

hmmm, good point.

:lol

Gas Man 08-06-2011 09:11 PM

I would end up on 81 heading south. So what's the difference. I honestly don't care if it's 45. Nice leisurely pace, enjoy the scenery, and take some pics.

What's the difference between a normal speeding ticket and a federal speeding ticket?

And I wonder how it works with CWP?

derf 08-06-2011 09:28 PM

When we went in october we hit tons of traffic, I expect that mid september will be pretty empty, also avoiding the natural bridge (cool roads in the area though) and lack of traffic we should be able to do much more of the brp on the first day

Gas Man 08-06-2011 09:33 PM

How much time to go from front royal to the brp? Looks like 100 miles...

so if true... about 3 hours... so that is fine...

and it looks as of 18 months ago... right to carry in all national parks was recognized, as long as the state recognizes our cwp, which they do.

Trip 08-06-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 484431)
What's the difference between a normal speeding ticket and a federal speeding ticket?

Federal ticket = $500+ fine with a mandatory court visit, no mail in the check. You don't want a federal ticket. The Rangers can also write state tickets if they want to be nice, if they just want to fuck you they will give you a federal ticket.

As far as the CWP, you might want to check out if they are a must reveal right away thing like Ohio. North Carolina is a must tell them as soon as reasonable state.

derf 08-06-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 484437)
Federal ticket = $500+ fine with a mandatory court visit, no mail in the check. You don't want a federal ticket. The Rangers can also write state tickets if they want to be nice, if they just want to fuck you they will give you a federal ticket.

As far as the CWP, you might want to check out if they are a must reveal right away thing like Ohio. North Carolina is a must tell them as soon as reasonable state.

Plus like I told you in the PM the skyline should take you 5 hours if you follow the speed limit. i was doubling the speed limit on average down the skyline and it took 3 hours-ish. The skyline is truly just not worth the trouble.

Follow I81 down to waynesboro an extra 70 miles save yourself the hastle of dealing with the skyway and start fresh on the BRP. if you avoid the natural bridge and other distractions you can easily make it to the VA/NC border with plenty of time to spare. hell if you push it a little acording to google maps you can start early enough and hit little swiss in 9-10 hours on the BRP.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=De...8,19,20,21&z=8

Trip 08-06-2011 11:11 PM

The problem with the BRP is sometimes you may need to go way off the road to get gas. Remember, there is NO gas on the road itself. You have to get off the BRP to get gas.

derf 08-07-2011 12:42 AM

Thinking back to the trip we did, it probably would have been wise to look for gas way earlier than we did. Looking at the map, there are a ton of gas stations within 5 miles of the BRP. If I'm gonna do it again i would plot a gas station or two every 25-50 miles, and stop every 150 miles or so for gas, long before i would even need it. in fact a quick google search provides this link:

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=50

Quote:

Gas Availability

Gas is not available on the Blue Ridge Parkway but is available not far off the Parkway at many U.S. or State Highway Intersections, including those below:

Virginia Exits for Gas

US 250 - Milepost 0
US 60 - Milepost 45.6
US 501 - Milepost 63.9
US 460 - Milepost 95.9
VA 24 - Milepost 112.2
US 220 - Milepost 121.4
US 58 - Milepost 177.7
US 52 - Milepost 199.4
VA 89 - Milepost 215.8
North Carolina Exits for Gas

US 21 – Milepost 229.7
NC 18 - Milepost 248.1
NC 16 - Milepost 261.2
US 321 - Milepost 291.9
NC 181 - Milepost 312
US 221 - Milepost 317.5
NC 226 - Milepost 330.9
NC 226A - Milepost 334
US 70 - Milepost 382.4
US 74A - Milepost 384.7
NC 191 - Milepost 393.6
US 25 - Milepost 388.1
US 276 - Milepost 411.9
US 74/23 - Milepost 443.1
US 19 - Milepost 445.7
Which probably would have saved us a few hours of riding around looking for gas. in fact I would probably throw these in the GPS as my breaks/fuel stops:

US 250 - Milepost 0
US 220 - Milepost 121.4
NC 18 - Milepost 248.1
US 70 - Milepost 382.4
US 19 - Milepost 445.7

The ride to the rally would probably only need 2 stops, at US 220 and NC18, Little swiss is north of US 70

I'm figuring that the ride from Waynesboro to the VA/NC border should have taken us 5 hours of steady moving at the pace we were trying to set (steady 50-55), maybe 6 1/2 hours with breaks and stops, but it took us if I remember correctly about 10 hours because of holiday weekend traffic and the natural bridge detour. Then the ride from the border to little swiss should only be about 3 hours of steady riding, plus a 15 to 20 minute break in the middle and a few overlook stops.

Gas Man 08-07-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 484437)

Yeah that ticket would suck. Mental note.

As far as notice to LEO... michigan is the same way. My first words when the cop comes up to me. I know this drill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 484438)
Plus like I told you in the PM the skyline should take you 5 hours if you follow the speed limit. i was doubling the speed limit on average down the skyline and it took 3 hours-ish. The skyline is truly just not worth the trouble.

Follow I81 down to waynesboro an extra 70 miles save yourself the hastle of dealing with the skyway and start fresh on the BRP. if you avoid the natural bridge and other distractions you can easily make it to the VA/NC border with plenty of time to spare. hell if you push it a little acording to google maps you can start early enough and hit little swiss in 9-10 hours on the BRP.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=De...8,19,20,21&z=8

Well I want to go thru WV not it changes much.
Google

My issue is timing. Thru skyline I have perfect timing. Without it, I either have 2 really long days or 1 long day and 2 really short days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 484440)
The problem with the BRP is sometimes you may need to go way off the road to get gas. Remember, there is NO gas on the road itself. You have to get off the BRP to get gas.

I have printed the list. Will look at that when considering gas.

derf 08-07-2011 02:15 PM

Yep but with the 2 long days, you get to rest on friday.

Also, 33 through WV is a much better ride than the sky way.

Gas Man 08-07-2011 02:26 PM

I'd rather have calmer days than a day of rest in the middle.

But you say 33 is good. Hmm.

derf 08-07-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 484468)
I'd rather have calmer days than a day of rest in the middle.

But you say 33 is good. Hmm.

I havent been on all of it, just the eastern end. But everyone I have talked to says that it is one of those must ride roads. the easter half which is on your map is better than the skyway. Further west than you mapped is where the cool stuff is. i think its a 4 lane road at that point that snakes through the low mountains

tommymac 08-07-2011 05:44 PM

gas, what day/time you planning on running this. I am working wed night into thurs morning and am off the rest of the weekend. Maybe I can catch you guys along the way.

Gas Man 08-09-2011 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 484469)
I havent been on all of it, just the eastern end. But everyone I have talked to says that it is one of those must ride roads. the easter half which is on your map is better than the skyway. Further west than you mapped is where the cool stuff is. i think its a 4 lane road at that point that snakes through the low mountains

I'm so confused now.... :tremble:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 484477)
gas, what day/time you planning on running this. I am working wed night into thurs morning and am off the rest of the weekend. Maybe I can catch you guys along the way.

Leave Wed to head south east. Ride somin then BRP starting thurs morning and arrive in Little Switz Friday evening.

Trip 08-09-2011 07:16 AM

I may try to meet up with you at the NC/VA border on the BRP thursday.

tommymac 08-09-2011 09:21 AM

Hmm, I work wed night into thurs morning, so I would grab a nap for a few hrs then get on the road. I would be slabbing it a good part of the way down but could probably reel you guys in late in the day thursday and go the rest of the way together.

derf 08-09-2011 12:55 PM

If you leave thursday afternoon you would catch us friday morning

tommymac 08-09-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 484720)
If you leave thursday afternoon you would catch us friday morning

Thats what I need to sort out, I iwll need to get soem rest before I go so so if I left at noon I would probably be down there around 9ish. Unless I ride through the night again and catch you guys fri morning

Krypt Keeper 08-10-2011 12:30 PM

Last time I was up on the BRP (oct. 2010) the gas station at the starting point (250 Afton) was shut down.

33 from WV is nice, just pay attention to signs if you follow that in Harrisonburg. You have to make a slight turn or two at Rt 11 to stay onto 33 east.

Can always ride 340 south long straight and scenic mostly, can ride that into Waynesboro and turn left onto 250 to get onto the BRP

If you turn right there is a Harley dealership on your left a mile or so, if you want a shirt or anything.

Its right where 340 continues south in Waynesboro.

Trip 08-10-2011 12:40 PM

Also, keep a watch on road closures. The BRP closes often in different spots for different things.

tommymac 08-10-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 484915)
Also, keep a watch on road closures. The BRP closes often in different spots for different things.

A lot of it weather related/dependant?

Trip 08-10-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 484917)
A lot of it weather related/dependant?

rock slides/construction