Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Riding without eye protection? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=9927)

unknownroad 08-11-2009 10:35 AM

Riding without eye protection?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm normally not a Gear Nazi, but it just amazes me.

This really would have sucked without sunglasses... fucking beetle was so big that i actually saw it coming at me at 60 mph and tried (failed) to duck :panic:

Rider 08-11-2009 10:36 AM

No full face helmet? YOU FAIL!

shmike 08-11-2009 10:56 AM

Maybe around a parking lot but that's it.

I can't go over about 30mph before my eyes water so bad that I can't see a thing.

If it is daylight out, I'm probably wearing sunglasses anyway.

pauldun170 08-11-2009 10:57 AM

Please excuse me why I go raw dog on this crack whore prostitute I met in the subway.

She seems clean

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 253150)
Maybe around a parking lot but that's it.

I can't go over about 30mph before my eyes water so bad that I can't see a thing.

If it is daylight out, I'm probably wearing sunglasses anyway.

I can't go above 15mph before the water works start.

marko138 08-11-2009 11:00 AM

Yeah, I can't even cruise with the shield cracked open a little.

t-homo 08-11-2009 11:30 AM

I always forget to take my clear shield with me when I am going to be out past dark, so I have ridden with the face shield up and not clear/yellow/dark glasses quite a few times. Fastest I've got was about 90 with no eye protection and they still didn't water a ton.

marko138 08-11-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-rock (Post 253181)
I always forget to take my clear shield with me when I am going to be out past dark, so I have ridden with the face shield up and not clear/yellow/dark glasses quite a few times. Fastest I've got was about 90 with no eye protection and they still didn't water a ton.

If I'm out past dark it's usually without a clear shield. And the Suomy mirrored shield is fucking dark. I like to cheat death and just ride with the visor down.

wildchild 08-11-2009 11:41 AM

i've done the chrome visor down thing. life is interesting that way.
I also do the visor up with clear lenses thing, but can't ride without a lid. My eyes water at about 40 and I wear contacts so I hate to become suddenly blind :tremble:

Particle Man 08-11-2009 11:45 AM

Between the wind and the bugs, I can't handle it. Hell, if it's even windy outside I wear wraparound sunglasses to keep the wind out of my eyes or else they water.

Fleck750 08-11-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 253155)

Glad I'm not the only one.

And you haven't lived until you've had a full beer can thrown at your face at 60mph :eek:

marko138 08-11-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleck750 (Post 253204)
Glad I'm not the only one.

And you haven't lived until you've had a full beer can thrown at your face at 60mph :eek:

If thats true, I hope I never live.

HurricaneHeather 08-11-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 253208)
If thats true, I hope I never live.

:lol

unknownroad 08-11-2009 12:26 PM

Clear shield and sunglasses here. I've tried mirrored shields, but after a couple of months they were always scratched to shit.

Lately i've had the shield off altogether because it's been too damn hot. :willy: Clear shield down = greenhouse.

marko138 08-11-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unknownroad (Post 253221)
Clear shield and sunglasses here. I've tried mirrored shields, but after a couple of months they were always scratched to shit.

Lately i've had the shield off altogether because it's been too damn hot. :willy: Clear shield down = greenhouse.

I scratched mine the first day I wore it. I was walking out of work and bumped it on the door as I went through. Still pissed about that.

Tmall 08-11-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unknownroad (Post 253221)

So you flip it up for the 1/8th of a second it takes to move every last bit of hot air out of it. :lol:

Gas Man 08-11-2009 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 253155)

Pussy
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...ing/photo2.jpg

Honestly though... back when I had the chop when I didn't have clears..nothing but sunglasses. 2 choices... go darked out if in the city, if not... nothing... no windshield, no glasses, nothing... I'm good up to about 60mph... then it becomes a bit much.

But now I carry no shit like 6 extra pairs!

marko138 08-11-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 253326)
Pussy
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...ing/photo2.jpg

Honestly though... back when I had the chop when I didn't have clears..nothing but sunglasses. 2 choices... go darked out if in the city, if not... nothing... no windshield, no glasses, nothing... I'm good up to about 60mph... then it becomes a bit much.

But now I carry no shit like 6 extra pairs!

Yeah, guess what...you're carrying my clear shield for me at the Rally.

Please?

t-homo 08-11-2009 03:22 PM

squid.

Rider 08-11-2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 253326)

Is that ink work creeping out from under your sleeve or is that road rash?

Gas Man 08-11-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 253332)
Yeah, guess what...you're carrying my clear shield for me at the Rally.

Please?

For sure... always have lots of room.

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-rock (Post 253338)
squid.

True by rocket standards but not even close by hd standards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 253342)
Is that ink work creeping out from under your sleeve or is that road rash?

ink... something I need more of.

I don't have any road rash.

marko138 08-11-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 253385)
For sure... always have lots of room.

True by rocket standards but not even close by hd standards.

ink... something I need more of.

I don't have any road rash.

I might head south and get some new ink this weekend. Better call about that tonight.

Gas Man 08-11-2009 07:00 PM

I wish... but when I owe money on a CC I can't validate spending money on ink... but damn its been years since I had a tat. maybe when I come out I should get one...

Homeslice 08-11-2009 07:45 PM

Can't deal with sunglasses under my visor. I always get a reflection of the sunglasses on the backside of the visor. Ghey.

So for me, it's dark smoke visor all the time, even at night..........I'm too lazy to pack the clear visor unless I know it's going to be a long tour or something.

Digifox 08-11-2009 09:31 PM

I rode for a whole season with out goggles.
Took a few bugs, a stick and mud to my eyes to finally buy a pair.

But On the street Full face....only a dumbass wouldnt wear a open/half:td:

Gas Man 08-11-2009 09:43 PM

Dumbass reporting in capt!

derf 08-11-2009 10:51 PM

I rarely ever put my visor down in the summer, its just a whole lot cooler inside the helmet with the visor open. In fact I haven't had my visor on my helmet for a few weeks, but I keep a pair of clear and a pair of dark ballistic glasses in the bike and switch them around as I need to. I can't get past 20 without my eyes watering to the point that I cant see. in fact if you look at my sig picture my visor is open

Digifox 08-11-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 253480)
I rarely ever put my visor down in the summer, its just a whole lot cooler inside the helmet with the visor open. In fact I haven't had my visor on my helmet for a few weeks, but I keep a pair of clear and a pair of dark ballistic glasses in the bike and switch them around as I need to. I can't get past 20 without my eyes watering to the point that I cant see. in fact if you look at my sig picture my visor is open

Visor up is TOTALLY different then Open face....
Wasn't there a thread posted not to long ago showing the face of a helmet after a crash...
That the guy probably would have died?

Sunday i was out with dad riding and it was 97F my visor was up <35

derf 08-11-2009 11:20 PM

Right, but we are discussing this in the context of eye protection.

marko138 08-12-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 253428)
I wish... but when I owe money on a CC I can't validate spending money on ink... but damn its been years since I had a tat. maybe when I come out I should get one...

My cousin does my work. He's about 2 hours south of Harrisburg. Way down in VA...but the guy is incredible. And the family discount is nice.

z06boy 08-12-2009 10:41 AM

Full face helmet and sunglasses for me during the day and clear glasses under the full face at night.

I wear contacts and the wind is a bit much so if I open the shield I need the glasses...plus I don't want to take a chance of a bug hitting me in the eye. :idk:

When I ride cruisers...like a BigDog...Harley...Victory...etc...I don't wear a full face but I will wear my Wiley X glasses that have the foam around the lense to keep wind out.

MILK 08-12-2009 12:37 PM

Wish I'd taken a pic of the bug I hit a few weeks ago. It hit my helmet so hard it felt like a rock - would have knocked a pair of glasses right off my face.

karl_1052 08-12-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 253428)

I kind of suspected.:skep:

I always have my Arai dark shield down.

Looni2ns 08-12-2009 01:33 PM

God only gave me two of them. They're not the greatest in the world but they're all I've got. I prefer to keep them in good working order. My shield is down, and I usually have sunglasses on underneath. Cig butts, bugs, rocks, dirt, and other stuff just don't make for comfortable riding when they're in your eye.

Smittie61984 08-16-2009 11:42 AM

There is video I've seen of a guy riding in hawaii with a group of motorcycles. A bug hits him in the eye and he clips his buddies motorcycle and he falls off and almost gets ran over by a Lexus who swerved just in time.

I always wear yellow shooting glasses. That way if I ride at night time I can see clearly but car lights don't blind me and I'm protected from bugs. But in the daytime if I want less wind or some shade I just throw my smoke visor down.