Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Modding (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help me mod the SV! (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=14016)

Tsunami 03-31-2010 02:41 AM

Help me mod the SV!

Feedback, opinions, dumbed down how to's needed! I think this will be the start of never ending mods and remods. But I barely know how to turn a wrench :lol: so I need everyone's help!

To start (March 29, 2010)- stock SV with fender eliminator and non matching bikini fairing.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/DSC01858.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/DSC01859.jpg

Tsunami 03-31-2010 02:47 AM

Well, I am officially poor, so nothing drastic or pricey for now. First things first though, I have ordered frame sliders and am will be ordering a tank bra in about 10 minutes since I sit right up on the tank.

I'm thinking of maybe painting the bikini fairing black or some other color. I don't know the first thing about painting fairings though. Feel free to post up a "How to" for me :)

Oh and I have to peel off all the warning stickers. I peeled off the big S on the bikini fairing today.

azoomm 03-31-2010 08:29 AM

Awesome bike, Congrats Gina!!

marko138 03-31-2010 09:15 AM

Skip that tank bra. Get a pad instead.

Particle Man 03-31-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 355563)
Skip that tank bra. Get a pad instead.

This. I ditched tank bra because caught way too much dust and crap and was effin' up my paint.

http://prtclmn001.smugmug.com/Other/...65_hem28-L.jpg

And even though it's been infected by VS, SVRider still has a ton of good how-to's for a lot of the popular mods.

marko138 03-31-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 355575)
This. I ditched tank bra because caught way too much dust and crap and was effin' up my paint.

http://prtclmn001.smugmug.com/Other/...65_hem28-L.jpg

And even though it's been infected by VS, SVRider still has a ton of good how-to's for a lot of the popular mods.

Exactly.

ontwo 03-31-2010 09:36 AM

I'll agree with the tankbra ditch. Get you a pad and some TechSpec gripster for the sides. You will love the way they grip. No more legs sliding all over the tank. The Techspec is much easier to work with than the Stompgrip.

Are you gonna keep the silver? If so, Colorite sells rattle can to match make and model. You might consider it for the bikini.

Trip 03-31-2010 09:40 AM

motosliders for frame sliders on that thing.

pdog 03-31-2010 09:42 AM

Sell the blue and buy a gray fairing.

I do my usual safety mods first on every bike I buy: rear brake flasher, brighter headlight bulbs, frame sliders. A sick looking bike doesn't pay medical bills.

ontwo 03-31-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 355596)
motosliders for frame sliders on that thing.

I've heard that from everyone on SVR. What makes them better than the other brands? Or are they just cheaper?

Trip 03-31-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontwo (Post 355604)
I've heard that from everyone on SVR. What makes them better than the other brands? Or are they just cheaper?

cheap and they hold up well with the through the frame bolt.

Cutty72 03-31-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 355606)

Truth. Had some other ones on the SV when the gf dropped it before, luckly didn't mess up the frame, but the bolts bent, even though the sliders were perfectly fine. I believe the through the frame bolt will be much more durable.

Me personally, I'd do smaller/brighter turn signals, ditch the reflectors, and a pipe to get rid of the sewing machine sound.

Tsunami 03-31-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontwo (Post 355589)
I'll agree with the tankbra ditch. Get you a pad and some TechSpec gripster for the sides. You will love the way they grip. No more legs sliding all over the tank. The Techspec is much easier to work with than the Stompgrip.

Are you gonna keep the silver? If so, Colorite sells rattle can to match make and model. You might consider it for the bikini.

I already bought the tank bra last night :lol: I may eventually go with a tank pad anyway but I figured it was easy to take on and off so no biggie. I am literally right on the tank though because I am so small so I want to make sure I am not scratching the tank with zipper, etc.

I'll keep it silver for now just because its easier. I tried colorite on the car once and I did a horrible splotchy job. What are the steps to painting? Priming, paint, clear coat? Sanding in between?

Tsunami 03-31-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 355606)

I had the motosliders before and I like them but never had to test them though. I went with T-rex sliders, because they were cheaper. Only $34! It has the frame bolt too and made of the same material. I am not sure if they are as long as the motosliders though but they were half the price!

marko138 03-31-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 355884)
I already bought the tank bra last night :lol: I may eventually go with a tank pad anyway but I figured it was easy to take on and off so no biggie. I am literally right on the tank though because I am so small so I want to make sure I am not scratching the tank with zipper, etc.

I'll keep it silver for now just because its easier. I tried colorite on the car once and I did a horrible splotchy job. What are the steps to painting? Priming, paint, clear coat? Sanding in between?

The issue with the tank bra's is that stuff gets under them and fucks up the paint. So what you are trying to prevent is happening anyway. Get the pad post haste and sell the bra to some schlub on the internet.

Tsunami 03-31-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdog (Post 355598)
Sell the blue and buy a gray fairing.

I do my usual safety mods first on every bike I buy: rear brake flasher, brighter headlight bulbs, frame sliders. A sick looking bike doesn't pay medical bills.

Whats a rear brake flasher? Does it flash when you are holding down the brake? Good idea on the brighter bulbs.

I'm not going to crazy with cosmetic stuff now just because its been a while since I have been on a bigger bike so I have to learn to ride it all over again.

Kerry_129 03-31-2010 04:52 PM

Best money you can spend on and SV is RaceTech cartridge emulators for the front forks (springs also, ideally, but the stock one's are prolly OK for your weight) & a GSXR shock (ebay). Cosmetic stuff & a pipe won't keep it from bouncing around like a pogo-stick under braking/acceleration/cornering - which stock SV's do badly.

tached1000rr 03-31-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 355525)
Well, I am officially poor, so nothing drastic or pricey for now. First things first though, I have ordered frame sliders and am will be ordering a tank bra in about 10 minutes since I sit right up on the tank.

I'm thinking of maybe painting the bikini fairing black or some other color. I don't know the first thing about painting fairings though. Feel free to post up a "How to" for me :)

Oh and I have to peel off all the warning stickers. I peeled off the big S on the bikini fairing today.

I like the idea of painting that fairing black.

ontwo 03-31-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry_129 (Post 355889)
Best money you can spend on and SV is RaceTech cartridge emulators for the front forks (springs also, ideally, but the stock one's are prolly OK for your weight) & a GSXR shock (ebay). Cosmetic stuff & a pipe won't keep it from bouncing around like a pogo-stick under braking/acceleration/cornering - which stock SV's do badly.

I agree. But the zx10 shock is a better fit with the 90 degree resevoir. I also went with the Sonic Springs without emulators (read good about both, so flip a coin)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 355885)
I had the motosliders before and I like them but never had to test them though. I went with T-rex sliders, because they were cheaper. Only $34! It has the frame bolt too and made of the same material. I am not sure if they are as long as the motosliders though but they were half the price!

I went with Shogun. Same mounting points, too.

Homeslice 03-31-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 355884)
I tried colorite on the car once and I did a horrible splotchy job.

:lol

Nice ride. I wouldn't bother doing much to it, except for that shock you were talking about.

Kerry_129 03-31-2010 05:26 PM

Gotcha - upgraded shock of whichever is the best option.

Springs are a huge help if you're weight isn't in the ballpark for the stock springs (very light, like Gina) - but emulators make a dramatic difference by actually damping the forks' motion.

Tsunami 03-31-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 355895)
:lol

Nice ride. I wouldn't bother doing much to it, except for that shock you were talking about.

Wait, you've seen my car! Wasn't my paint job horrific?

It'll be a fun project- I need an creative outlet from all that schoolwork. Plus as I get better at riding, and start doing some performance mods, it will give me a good way to learn how to wrench on a relatively cheap bike. I'm too light and unskilled to feel bad suspension atm :lol:

All the other suspension stuff that was done on my other sv, springs, shock, fork oil, was really just fun for the Ex husband. I think he was really upgrading it for himself rather than me :lol:

Homeslice 03-31-2010 05:32 PM

You used masking tape on ur car, right? lol. You're not heavy enough to worry about modding the forks........It's the rear shock that was always the weak point on the SV. You go over a big bump and it throws you into the air. If you still have your gsxr shock send it to someone to get it set up. Course that would cost you $300 so if your on a budget I'd say forget about it, it already handles better than a DR.

Trip 03-31-2010 05:34 PM

suspension can wait for her it sounds like, doesn't sound like she is going to be railing through the corners. The stock stuff is fine to learn how to ride the bike on and then upgrade later when she has the money to do it. Especially for her weight. If it was a skilled middle weight to heavy rider, suspension is the best use of money, but thats not the case here.

pdog 03-31-2010 05:53 PM

The headlight upgrade is rather involved since you really also need to replace the headlight wiring. Stock SV's headlight wiring is too thin to support a decent amount of power. Just replacing the wiring with a heavier gauge can get you 30-50% more light out of the stock bulb - which is what I did.

Yes, it blinks the brake when and while you grab the brake. It installs in the cargo area. You do need to cut the wiring and, ideally, solder the connection so it's not plug and play but it's not hard if you've done a little wiring before. I installed the IBF9 from here:

http://www.comagination.com/bflasher.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 355887)
Whats a rear brake flasher? Does it flash when you are holding down the brake? Good idea on the brighter bulbs.

derf 03-31-2010 06:11 PM

I always thought that the SV's looked funny with all that space right behind the front wheel, it looks empty, like a little emo boy who has a butter knife and is trying to cut his own wrists but can't even manage to do that right. It looks much better with the half fairing on the bottom

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...Craigslist.jpg

derf 03-31-2010 06:12 PM

I think thats only made for the 1000 but I remember sesing them on 650s

and the internet just confirmed me

http://www.btbf.no/images/MC-galleri/Suzuki_SV1000s.jpg

Tsunami 03-31-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdog (Post 355904)
The headlight upgrade is rather involved since you really also need to replace the headlight wiring. Stock SV's headlight wiring is too thin to support a decent amount of power. Just replacing the wiring with a heavier gauge can get you 30-50% more light out of the stock bulb - which is what I did.

Yes, it blinks the brake when and while you grab the brake. It installs in the cargo area. You do need to cut the wiring and, ideally, solder the connection so it's not plug and play but it's not hard if you've done a little wiring before. I installed the IBF9 from here:

http://www.comagination.com/bflasher.htm

Oh cool thanks!

All that would be ok on the battery if I were to get heated gear?

pdog 03-31-2010 06:25 PM

No idea, I'm in Texas where heated gear would probably set me on fire. Check svrider for info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 355912)
All that would be ok on the battery if I were to get heated gear?

Switch 03-31-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 355909)

I had one on my 650

Kerry_129 03-31-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 355900)
If it was a skilled middle weight to heavy rider, suspension is the best use of money, but thats not the case here.

Yeah, because only skilled riders have to brake hard or swerve.... :wtfru:

Just bustin' your balls - but I do disagree & think that's a common misconception. If it were a top-shelf sportbike, OK (though then it would likely be way to stiff for her) - but stock SV's and many other 'budget' bikes with (non)damping-rod forks are simply friggin' pogo-sticks. You don't have to be a high-performance rider to benefit greatly from your suspension not sucking and having better control/feel/traction - especially in an emergency maneuver. On a bike with such a poor stock setup, I consider it a mandatory safety upgrade. :yes:

derf 03-31-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry_129 (Post 355925)

Just bustin' your balls - but I do disagree & think that's a common misconception. If it were a top-shelf sportbike, OK (though then it would likely be way to stiff for her) - but stock SV's and many other 'budget' bikes with (non)damping-rod forks are simply friggin' pogo-sticks. You don't have to be a high-performance rider to benefit greatly from your suspension not sucking and having better control/feel/traction - especially in an emergency maneuver. On a bike with such a poor stock setup, I consider it a mandatory safety upgrade. :yes:

yay! post # 420 for you

Trip 03-31-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry_129 (Post 355925)

Since I started off on an SV and learned to ride on the dragon with same SV without suspension upgrades, I feel pretty confident that the suspension is not a necessity at this point in her learning. Heck, I am a lot heavier than her.

When I upgraded the suspension when my progress demanded a decent suspension, I liked it a lot.

It is not mandatory, but it is very nice.

I never owned the emulators for the SV, most of the people on svrider I had chats with that tried racetech springs and emus and just springs alone said it was a little better, but not significantly. If you were wanting to spend the lot, either do the gixxer swap (which has issues) or the full fork rebuild by traxxion which is the best.

I was decently quick on the SV with no emus and had no suspension worries. I had a faster time on the SV for a few months after I got the CBARRR with a fully tuned suspension. Mostly due to throttle control and learning curve.

I think you are thinking too much of the sport aspect of it instead of just every day use. A lot of bikes have much worse suspension than the SV and will never know sport suspension that a lot of beginners ride and learn on. DS bikes setup for off road/crusiers/etc...

If I were to recommend one sport upgrade for the SV I would do before suspension, it would definitely be a steering damper.

Particle Man 03-31-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 355909)

that pic is of a 1k ;)

But yeah, they make the chin fairing for the 650 as well.

Rangerscott 04-01-2010 12:31 AM

I would get rid of the front and just have one or two small headlights with a Koso aftermarket gauge.

http://www.google.com/products?clien...ed=0CBYQzAMwAg

Check out this guys SV. http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=72996

HokieDNA01 04-01-2010 12:57 AM

I owned a severely undersprung bike (ninja 250) and a majorly over sprung bike (currently GSXr) and re-valving/rear shock made a HUGE difference on both. Bike just starts to feel like it isn't fighting you all the time. cornering is much more controlled. If you have the money I would set the suspension up. Best mods I have made (thanks Kerry)

Tsunami 04-01-2010 01:07 AM

Good find Ranger! I wanted to eventually change the front end and get rid of that awful big ass speedo. For now, I want to enjoy some windprotection.

You guys are all so resourceful and full of good ideas. :)

Tsunami 04-01-2010 02:09 AM

The nice man at Sargent Cycles have me a nice discount on my seat. I love Sargent.

Homeslice 04-01-2010 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 355939)

If I were to recommend one sport upgrade for the SV I would do before suspension, it would definitely be a steering damper.

Serious? I put almost 52K on my SVS, and never felt like it needed a damper. It doesn't have a really aggressive rake & trail like a 600 or something.

Compared to the useless mods most people buy, $300 for suspension is well-spent. It's better than buying an exhaust IMO.

Switch 04-01-2010 08:40 AM

You don't need suspension. I promise.

Trip 04-01-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennessee Stud (Post 356071)
You don't need suspension. I promise.

post that pic of you before you got your suspension. lolz

pdog 04-01-2010 08:57 AM

Disagree 100%. This is my second SV, I've done tons of track days and never once has the front end ever given me any resembling headshake. The SV's geometry is just not as severe as a 600SS bike. It's not necessary unless you are riding at race pace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 355939)

Trip 04-01-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdog (Post 356081)
Disagree 100%. This is my second SV, I've done tons of track days and never once has the front end ever given me any resembling headshake. The SV's geometry is just not as severe as a 600SS bike. It's not necessary unless you are riding at race pace.

I never had the issue riding fast, it was riding around town that I got the headshake.

Particle Man 04-01-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 356083)
it was riding around town that I got the headshake.

from the bike or from the people watching you ride by?

*ba dum, tssssssssssss*

Trip 04-01-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 356087)
from the bike or from the people watching you ride by?

*ba dum, tssssssssssss*

lolz nice

Particle Man 04-01-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 356088)
lolz nice

dont' get used to it - that's probably my best shot of the day :lol:

ontwo 04-01-2010 10:04 AM

Took a short ride up the mountain last night. So far the brakes and front springs are the best mods. Like a different bike

pdog 04-01-2010 10:25 AM

Honestly it sounds like your specific bike may have had issues. I've never heard of any SV at street pace ever having problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 356083)
I never had the issue riding fast, it was riding around town that I got the headshake.

Rangerscott 04-01-2010 11:16 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPEED...item4839a11016

Tsunami 04-03-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 356033)
I owned a severely undersprung bike (ninja 250) and a majorly over sprung bike (currently GSXr) and re-valving/rear shock made a HUGE difference on both. Bike just starts to feel like it isn't fighting you all the time. cornering is much more controlled. If you have the money I would set the suspension up. Best mods I have made (thanks Kerry)

Hokie, where did you send your shock?

HokieDNA01 04-05-2010 10:40 AM

i sent a text to Kerry and said...come over and help me with my shocks. Lol

Particle Man 04-05-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 357363)

:lol:

Tsunami 04-06-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 357363)

Somehow I don't think that would work in my case :lol: I didn't know Kerry can respring/revalve shocks:skep:

Found some cheap parts on Svrider! Getting a new targa cowl and some nice mirrors for $75!:rockwoot:

Ok I need to stop. I'm poor.

Rangerscott 04-06-2010 01:10 AM

You need your self a suga daddy.

Tsunami 04-06-2010 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 357906)
You need your self a suga daddy.

yeah no kidding

Kerry_129 04-06-2010 01:57 AM

:lol: Technically, I made hr haul her shit out to NC.

I can't help with the shock, but simply swapping it to a ZX-10 shock (as pointed out, better than the GSXR swap I'd heard of) off ebay is your most cost-effective route with that. Might be to stiff for your weight though & need the spring swapped. You could find the info on SV forums, no doubt.

As for the forks - dropping in springs & changing fluid is easy, and can be done without taking even them off the bike. If you decide to do the cartridge emulators, I'd be happy to install them for you if you shipped them. Probably wouldn't be as cost-effective as simply finding a decent local bike mechanic that does work 'on the side' - but the offer stands.

Trip's right about it not being a 'necessity', especially if you're not pushing the bike hard through curves. But as far as 'modding' goes, it's about the best thing you can do to improve the feel & handling of the bike. Way more important than cosmetic stuff or a louder pipe. Oh - if it hasn't been mentioned before though - another fairly inexpensive & easy mod is aftermarket front brake lines (and better pads, depending on how much the OE ones are lacking). Improves the 'feel' and modulation greatly.

Trip 04-06-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry_129 (Post 357921)
I can't help with the shock, but simply swapping it to a ZX-10 shock (as pointed out, better than the GSXR swap I'd heard of) off ebay is your most cost-effective route with that. Might be to stiff for your weight though & need the spring swapped. You could find the info on SV forums, no doubt.

Trip's right about it not being a 'necessity', especially if you're not pushing the bike hard through curves. But as far as 'modding' goes, it's about the best thing you can do to improve the feel & handling of the bike. Way more important than cosmetic stuff or a louder pipe. Oh - if it hasn't been mentioned before though - another fairly inexpensive & easy mod is aftermarket front brake lines (and better pads, depending on how much the OE ones are lacking). Improves the 'feel' and modulation greatly.

yeah, svrider has a list of shocks with spring rates that you can use for the conversion that you can get used on ebay for dirt cheap. I am sure she can find one in her range on there.

That I agree with, I definitely feel suspension is the #1 go fast mod out there. Well unless you are one of those super squid straight line queen that is...:lol:

Tsunami 04-06-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 357942)
Well unless you are one of those super squid straight line queen that is...:lol:

Well, I don't plan on pushing it on the streets, I can't afford the speeding tickets. My last speeding ticket was $517. And I don't really plan on riding the track too much. So I'm basically commuting or sport touring. I don't really feel like I need any suspension upgrades just yet.

ontwo 04-07-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 358386)

Well, I don't plan on pushing it on the streets, I can't afford the speeding tickets. My last speeding ticket was $517. And I don't really plan on riding the track too much. So I'm basically commuting or sport touring. I don't really feel like I need any suspension upgrades just yet.

Then you should really enjoy the SV. Just do what you want to it. Sound like increased performance is not a necessity for you. Just have fun with it

t-homo 04-07-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 358386)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontwo (Post 358734)
Then you should really enjoy the SV. Just do what you want to it. Sound like increased performance is not a necessity for you. Just have fun with it

Then I'd say if you really want to spend money on it and do a decent amount of touring, make sure the bike is comfortable for a decently long trip.

ontwo 04-07-2010 10:42 AM

Nelson Rigg soft luggage FTW

t-homo 04-07-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontwo (Post 358743)

this.

Trip 04-07-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontwo (Post 358743)

check out the trunk i posted in hot deals.

soft luggage is shit and you don't realize how much it is complete shit til you get hard luggage.

ontwo 04-07-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 358751)

soft luggage is shit and you don't realize how much it is complete shit til you get hard luggage.

It may be shit, but it's cheaper and serves the purpose.

t-homo 04-07-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 358751)

For as little as I use it, it works. Hard luggage is definitely better, but I can't justify buying it and building racks and everything for my bike.

ontwo 04-07-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontwo (Post 358755)
It may be shit, but it's cheaper and serves the purpose.

I stand corrected. That sears stuff looks pretty good for the price

Trip 04-07-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontwo (Post 358779)
I stand corrected. That sears stuff looks pretty good for the price

you will need to get a rear rack also, but that stuff looks pretty damn good.

Rangerscott 04-07-2010 12:11 PM

Id love to help you but everytime some one needs help, they're across the country.

I'm pretty good at finding deals so if you need a part then just post it up.

pdog 04-07-2010 12:47 PM

Just bought a large Sears case. The medium apparently will not hold a FF helmet. I'll let you know how well it works on the SV.

Tsunami 04-08-2010 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 358808)
Id love to help you but everytime some one needs help, they're across the country.

I'm pretty good at finding deals so if you need a part then just post it up.

Can you find me a sugar daddy with one foot in the grave and one foot on a banana peel?

Tsunami 04-08-2010 12:16 AM

Oh I dug up the 5 year old posts from SVrider from the ex hubby and it looked like the rear shock was redone by svraceshop. They did say that the stock gixxer shock is too soft?? Is that true? I don't remember having issues on bolting the shock on except that we had to cut part of the box where the battery sit. What is the advantage of a zx10 shock?

Also its lower by 5mm which isn't a bad thing since I have height issues, I can compensate for the difference raising the forks?

Uhhh looks like the mods were made for him while he told me otherwise! DOH!

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread....ghlight=ejl127

Mr Lefty 04-08-2010 04:38 AM

how about just you naked on it? perfect mod IMO... :lol:

pics required of course!

Cutty72 04-08-2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 359135)
Oh I dug up the 5 year old posts from SVrider from the ex hubby and it looked like the rear shock was redone by svraceshop. They did say that the stock gixxer shock is too soft?? Is that true? I don't remember having issues on bolting the shock on except that we had to cut part of the box where the battery sit. What is the advantage of a zx10 shock?

Also its lower by 5mm which isn't a bad thing since I have height issues, I can compensate for the difference raising the forks?

advantage of zx10 shock is no cutting of the batt box, and i believe no loss in ride height.
ontwo told me a bit about it, he can give more info.

ontwo 04-08-2010 09:29 AM

The difference is that the resevoir on the zx10 shock is at 90 degrees to the shock while the GSXR is at approx 45 deg. With the zx10 shock, the only thing you have to do is remove the worthless piece of plastic in front of the tool kit storage. I have no idea what purpose this little thing has, but just chuck it. The shock then fits snugly under the battery box. No cutting required. Truly the hardest part of the entire process is getting to the screws that hold the plastic piece on.

psychochild28 04-09-2010 08:31 PM

I'm getting ready to have my suspension redone and looking into the fork rebuild because my SV feels like i'm running over railroad ties a lot when i'm cornering.

But I gotta take care of an oil leak from some jackass who didn't know how to change the oil. grrr shoulda just done it myself. And gotta replace break pads which will prolly happen the same time i start on the forks.

Gas Man 04-10-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychochild28 (Post 360240)
I'm getting ready to have my suspension redone and looking into the fork rebuild because my SV feels like i'm running over railroad ties a lot when i'm cornering.

But I gotta take care of an oil leak from some jackass who didn't know how to change the oil. grrr shoulda just done it myself. And gotta replace break pads which will prolly happen the same time i start on the forks.

candle

azoomm 04-10-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 359135)

Gina, at your size I don't think you need to worry about the shock being too soft.

Tsunami 04-10-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 360344)
Gina, at your size I don't think you need to worry about the shock being too soft.

Thats what I was thinking, if the Gixxer shock stock is fine then I can just do a swap instead of repsring etc? I think the one we redid was more for Evan's weight. Tommymac should have a spare.

Rangerscott 04-11-2010 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 359131)
Can you find me a sugar daddy with one foot in the grave and one foot on a banana peel?

So what ur trying to say is......you don't want to have kids.

Mr Lefty 04-11-2010 03:29 AM

That or she wants to conceive one getting a little kinky in the Grave yard with rich dude and bannana's :lol:

Particle Man 04-11-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 360538)
That or she wants to conceive one getting a little kinky in the Grave yard with rich dude and bannana's :lol:

You had to go there, didn't you?

Mr Lefty 04-11-2010 01:51 PM

:lol: look at both my posts in this thread...

:leaving:

Tsunami 04-11-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 360538)

Well being that I have seen dead shiveled penises at lab, not too much.

I'll probably want kids when I am too old to concieve :lol:

Looni2ns 04-12-2010 10:09 AM

Gina, if you get one of the Sears large cases, see if you can get a spare rear seat. Remove the foam, recover, and mount the case directly to the spare seat. That way, you don't have to buy all of the racks, etc., just the mounting plate. When you don't want the case on, you just put the original rear seat back on. Great for touring/commuting since you can lock your stuff up.

ontwo 04-12-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychochild28 (Post 360240)

www.sonicsprings.com FTW. Rich is great. Instructions are a piece of cake. You will definitely notice a huge difference in the corners

Particle Man 04-12-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looni2ns (Post 360803)
Gina, if you get one of the Sears large cases, see if you can get a spare rear seat. Remove the foam, recover, and mount the case directly to the spare seat. That way, you don't have to buy all of the racks, etc., just the mounting plate. When you don't want the case on, you just put the original rear seat back on. Great for touring/commuting since you can lock your stuff up.

that's exactly what I plan on doing as soon as someone here gets one and tells us what the case is like :)

ontwo 04-12-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 360844)
that's exactly what I plan on doing as soon as someone here gets one and tells us what the case is like :)

Kyle has one ordered. Waiting on him

Tsunami 04-13-2010 04:57 PM

I got the seat back! I can touch the floor on tippies!

But holy crap, I need to start working out like a madwoman. Why did it take all my strength to lift the bike off the sidestand??

Trip 04-13-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontwo (Post 360849)
Kyle has one ordered. Waiting on him

he has the case already, I have seen him post pictures of it.

Particle Man 04-13-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 361504)
I got the seat back! I can touch the floor on tippies!

But holy crap, I need to start working out like a madwoman. Why did it take all my strength to lift the bike off the sidestand??

it does lean rather heavily on the side stand

Tsunami 04-14-2010 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 361591)
it does lean rather heavily on the side stand

Well if its heavy for you, then its more than heavy for me! I never remembered it being that heavy but once its up, its pretty light. I am old and losing muscle tone and strength.

Particle Man 04-14-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 361648)
Well if its heavy for you, then its more than heavy for me! I never remembered it being that heavy but once its up, its pretty light. I am old and losing muscle tone and strength.

I find it heavy when filled to the brim with fuel and loaded with gear, especially when I running on very little sleep.

Switch 04-14-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 361564)
he has the case already, I have seen him post pictures of it.

No I don't, that was just a photo I found on Google.

Should be coming today.

But my SWMotech rack isn't gonna be here til the end of the month.

pdog 04-14-2010 10:11 PM

Got the case tonight. Fits my full face helmet without a problem. Seems sturdy enough and isn't overly big for the SV. Not sure how I'm going to mount it. It comes with a mount plate but there are no rear seats or cowls for sale on svrider or ebay that I can buy and modify.

Particle Man 04-14-2010 11:08 PM

hmmm, eeeeenteresting. I may just have to bite the bullet and order one

Switch 04-15-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdog (Post 361928)
Got the case tonight. Fits my full face helmet without a problem. Seems sturdy enough and isn't overly big for the SV. Not sure how I'm going to mount it. It comes with a mount plate but there are no rear seats or cowls for sale on svrider or ebay that I can buy and modify.

Check out TwistedThrottle.

I got mine yesterday as well. The first thing to go was teh Iron Cross sticker. Thanks Jesse James.

Tsunami 04-15-2010 02:50 PM

Pics when you guys get the luggage mounted!

Switch 04-15-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami (Post 362238)
Pics when you guys get the luggage mounted!

It'll be a month for me. I'll start a new thread when I do.

psychochild28 04-15-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontwo (Post 360840)
www.sonicsprings.com FTW. Rich is great. Instructions are a piece of cake. You will definitely notice a huge difference in the corners

Thanks very much appreciated!

dReWpY 04-15-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychochild28 (Post 362396)
Thanks very much appreciated!

Winco