Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Sports Bar (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   McGwire admits the obvious. (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=12663)

Homeslice 01-11-2010 03:49 PM

McGwire admits the obvious.

That is all.

Dave 01-11-2010 03:52 PM

Lying to congress, hope for his sake he voted for bo

Apoc 01-11-2010 04:40 PM

I still dont see why its an issue thats so big down there with you guys?

Professional athletes cheat.

If you ain't cheating at sports in some way, you aint trying hard enough.

TYEster 01-11-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 317844)
I still dont see why its an issue thats so big down there with you guys?

Professional athletes cheat.

If you ain't cheating at sports in some way, you aint trying hard enough.

Because politics/politicians demand someone to point a finger at.

tommymac 01-11-2010 07:03 PM

I wonder if its him trying to score sympathy votes to get into the HOF.

marko138 01-11-2010 07:16 PM

Tom's right....he just wants in the Hall. He didn't realize the sports writers are crusty old bitches who hold grudges.

tommymac 01-11-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 317927)
Tom's right....he just wants in the Hall. He didn't realize the sports writers are crusty old bitches who hold grudges.

I thought it was convienient that this is announced soon after the HOF inductees were announced and he was still prety far down in votes.

smileyman 01-11-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 317917)
I wonder if its him trying to score sympathy votes to get into the HOF.

Yuppers. Mmmm Hhmmm.

tommymac 01-11-2010 07:45 PM

I think this may help his cause but it will still take many years to get in, if he ever does.

defector 01-11-2010 07:47 PM

My guess is he didn't want to deal with the questions all season again. I think he was just named batting coach for the Cardinals recently.

Curb 01-11-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defector (Post 317942)
My guess is he didn't want to deal with the questions all season again. I think he was just named batting coach for the Cardinals recently.

that's what i was thinking. me personally, i could care less if he did or didn't. He is an entertainer and i enjoyed watching him hit bombs as did the entire fan base that paid their money to go and see him when he came to their town.

tached1000rr 01-11-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curb (Post 317961)
that's what i was thinking. me personally, i could care less if he did or didn't. He is an entertainer and i enjoyed watching him hit bombs as did the entire fan base that paid their money to go and see him when he came to their town.

me too....

Curb 01-11-2010 08:29 PM

Also, like I've said for years. You can use steroids all you want, but it wont help you hit the ball any better. It takes amazing hand eye coordination to be able to hit something that is traveling 95mph in which you have less than half a second to make up your mind if you will or wont swing.

It was like that snow border kid in the winter olympics a few years back that got his gold medal taken away for testing positive for weed...WEED, I mean come on, dude scores a gold medal while toking a doob, I'd give that mother fucker 10 gold medals for that.

tommymac 01-11-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curb (Post 317969)
Also, like I've said for years. You can use steroids all you want, but it wont help you hit the ball any better. It takes amazing hand eye coordination to be able to hit something that is traveling 95mph in which you have less than half a second to make up your mind if you will or wont swing.

It was like that snow border kid in the winter olympics a few years back that got his gold medal taken away for testing positive for weed...WEED, I mean come on, dude scores a gold medal while toking a doob, I'd give that mother fucker 10 gold medals for that.

A fan on the radio said that about mcguire too, the steroids may have given him mor epower but he still had the skill to hit a baseball.

Homeslice 01-11-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

While the weed didn't give any advantage to the boarder, the roids did give an advantage to McGwire (or he wouldn't have taken it).

Yeah, some nobody taking roids isn't going to help him become a hitter if he wasn't already one before, but McGwire already knew how to hit, and already had the hand-eye coordination, all he wanted was more power.

defector 01-11-2010 11:38 PM

Every power hitter from that era (except Griffey) was linked to roids in some form or another.
MLB turned a blind eye to it, as long as stadiums were full. Guys like McGwire and Sosa put baseball back on the map in '98, and nobody gave a damn then.

Chicks dig the long ball.

karl_1052 01-12-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYEster (Post 317861)
Because politics/politicians demand someone to point a finger at.

Politicians are the only people who cheat more than atheletes.

karl_1052 01-12-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

How come Phelps' medals weren't taken away then?

Double standard.

TYEster 01-12-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 318129)
Politicians are the only people who cheat more than atheletes.

Exactly, they need something to remove the focus from themselves.

Homeslice 01-12-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 318130)

Double standard.

Would have been too much of an uproar in the media/public. They figured taking it away from a snowboarder wouldn't get noticed.

karl_1052 01-12-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 318148)
Would have been too much of an uproar in the media/public. They figured taking it away from a snowboarder wouldn't get noticed.

Plus he was Canadian, plus he only won one medal(instead of 8)

Definite double standard.

Homeslice 01-12-2010 09:00 AM

Where's the "Canada: America's Hat" jpeg?

shmike 01-12-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 318130)

Double standard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 318154)
Plus he was Canadian, plus he only won one medal(instead of 8)

Definite double standard.

Phelps tested positive in an IOC drug test?

Link please.

Rider 01-12-2010 09:33 AM

Does it really matter? Everyone juiced back then.

Kaneman 01-12-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 318199)
Phelps tested positive in an IOC drug test?

Link please.

He's referring to the bong incident.

shmike 01-12-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 318227)
He's referring to the bong incident.

I understand that.

It's an apples-oranges comparison.

Kaneman 01-12-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 318230)
I understand that.

It's an apples-oranges comparison.

Huh? They're comparing Phelps to another Olympic athlete who got medals taken away for marijuana use.

shmike 01-12-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 318239)
Huh? They're comparing Phelps to another Olympic athlete who got medals taken away for marijuana use.

Phelps wasn't using while he was an olympic athlete.

Did you wake'n'bake this morning?

marko138 01-12-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

I agree completely with what your saying.

Kaneman 01-12-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 318245)

Did you wake'n'bake this morning?

Wait, is it morning?

Sixxxxer 01-12-2010 10:32 AM

I dont see what the big deal is...Other than hwo it looks for Americas Youth that all of there Favorite Baseball Players are Roid Heads...But it helps the body heal quicker and Mcgwire is right...Baseball is a LONG season and there was a SHITTON of pressure on him that year to break the record...And as has already been stated...Steroids make you stronger they dont help you hit home runs.

Kaneman 01-12-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 318281)
I dont see what the big deal is...Other than hwo it looks for Americas Youth that all of there Favorite Baseball Players are Roid Heads...But it helps the body heal quicker and Mcgwire is right...Baseball is a LONG season and there was a SHITTON of pressure on him that year to break the record...And as has already been stated...Steroids make you stronger they dont help you hit home runs.

The funny thing is that kids are smart enough to see that steroids helps make athletes successful. They see through all the bullshit and get straight to the point, that many of the world's most successful athletes turned out to be using steroids and many of them still do.

Sixxxxer 01-12-2010 10:36 AM

Well Kids today arent the same as when I was growing up...and I'm 23...Its Effin Crazy.

tommymac 01-12-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 318287)
The funny thing is that kids are smart enough to see that steroids helps make athletes successful. They see through all the bullshit and get straight to the point, that many of the world's most successful athletes turned out to be using steroids and many of them still do.

its also the american way in that its a quick fix.

Funny thing is long term steroid use leads to other injuries.

Kaneman 01-12-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 318364)
its also the american way in that its a quick fix.

It can be...but hardcore athletes don't slack off just because they're on the 'roids...it simply gives them more return for their effort.

tommymac 01-12-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 318370)
It can be...but hardcore athletes don't slack off just because they're on the 'roids...it simply gives them more return for their effort.

true, but it still gets them to where they want ot be faster than someone whos not on the juice.

Kaneman 01-12-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 318372)
true, but it still gets them to where they want ot be faster than someone whos not on the juice.

I wouldn't necessarily say faster...I would say it gets them to a level that those who are not on the juice simply can't get to period.

tommymac 01-12-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 318374)
I wouldn't necessarily say faster...I would say it gets them to a level that those who are not on the juice simply can't get to period.

I would say its both. Some guys I played football with were on the juice and their gains wer emuch faster than when they werent taking anything. wha tpissed some of them of fmore was I was stronger than some of them and wasnt on anything :lol:

Did come close in my last full season though since I plateaued in my training.

z06boy 01-12-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 318281)
Steroids make you stronger they dont help you hit home runs.

Why not ? Sure you have to have the hand/eye coordination first but extra strength surely has to help imho.

The only problem I have with the use of it is the fact that it's against the rules...these guys do it...get caught...lie about it...and then come out later saying that they did it. :idk:

I think it matters when they break a record...it's not fair to the person that had his record broken unless it shows that they too were using steroids.

It doesn't really matter to me if they do it or not...for one I'm not a big baseball fan to begin with but just throwing this out there.

Homeslice 01-12-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06boy (Post 318378)
Why not ? Sure you have to have the hand/eye coordination first but extra strength surely has to help imho.

+1

Otherwise he wouldn't have used them.

goof2 01-12-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 318245)

Exactly. If Phelps had tested positive for any banned substance during the olympics his medals would have been taken away. What he does after the competition is irrelevant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 318245)

Double standard.

First, the Canadian snowboarder had his medal restored to him, it was only taken away temporarily.

Second, Phelps was smart enough to not be around weed before or during the competition. The snowboarder was not as smart. The additional stupidity on the part of the snowboarder does not create a double standard.

tommymac 01-12-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06boy (Post 318378)

The only problem I have with the use of it is the fact that it's against the rules...these guys do it...get caught...lie about it...and then come out later saying that they did it. :idk:

I think it matters when they break a record...it's not fair to the person that had his record broken unless it shows that they too were using steroids.

It doesn't really matter to me if they do it or not...for one I'm not a big baseball fan to begin with but just throwing this out there.

I think thats why he also apologized to the marris family.

z06boy 01-12-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 318382)
Exactly. If Phelps had tested positive for any banned substance during the olympics his medals would have been taken away. What he does after the competition is irrelevant.

First, the Canadian snowboarder had his medal restored to him, it was only taken away temporarily.

Second, Phelps was smart enough to not be around weed before or during the competition. The snowboarder was not as smart. The additional stupidity on the part of the snowboarder does not create a double standard.

Correct

Rider 01-12-2010 11:53 AM

You guys keep bringing up weed and comparing it to steroids likes it's a performance enhancing drug. Who cares if athletes smoke pot?

Kaneman 01-12-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 318403)
You guys keep bringing up weed and comparing it to steroids likes it's a performance enhancing drug. Who cares if athletes smoke pot?

The IOC apparently. I think that is the part that confuses me, is the IOC acting out of morality or concern for the sport?

Homeslice 01-12-2010 12:18 PM

It's probably due to American pressure

TYEster 01-12-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 318364)

Like what?

tommymac 01-12-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYEster (Post 318706)
Like what?

Connective tisue injuries, ligament tears, muscle tears and thing along those lines.

TYEster 01-12-2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 318709)
Connective tisue injuries, ligament tears, muscle tears and thing along those lines.

How do steroids cause those? Cause even people who are natural can tear, sprain, strain, pull, rip, bruise, and disrupt all those very things.

BTW are you familiar with how anabolic steroids work? Because their #1 reason for use is to repair muscle. In fact, Decadurabolin can aid in repairing the connective tissue of muscles.

tommymac 01-12-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYEster (Post 318717)
How do steroids cause those? Cause even people who are natural can tear, sprain, strain, pull, rip, bruise, and disrupt all those very things.

BTW are you familiar with how anabolic steroids work? Because their #1 reason for use is to repair muscle. In fact, Decadurabolin can aid in repairing the connective tissue of muscles.

Oh I am sure I have heard how they worked in the biochemstry course I have taken, while I dont have access to the exact mechanism that causes this or the myriad of other side effects did a quick search and came up with an article here, pages 5 and 6 touch on the limited data and link it to possible issues with collagen or the fact that the muscles hypertrophy very fast and the connective tissues cannot compenste/keep up with the gains.

http://www.jssm.org/vol5/n2/2/v5n2-2pdf.pdf

Sounding a wee bit defensive now???????

101lifts2 01-12-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 318720)
Oh I am sure I have heard how they worked in the biochemstry course I have taken, while I dont have access to the exact mechanism that causes this or the myriad of other side effects did a quick search and came up with an article here, pages 5 and 6 touch on the limited data and link it to possible issues with collagen or the fact that the muscles hypertrophy very fast and the connective tissues cannot compenste/keep up with the gains.

Yeah..I mean if "Full of Tyesterone" didn't give it away.:lol

The cause is not steriods, but rather the user pushing too hard in which ligaments cannot handle the applied load.

I know a few dudes that have torn pec muscles, quad muscles and biceps because of this. They were simply pushing too hard with the weight, though. And they knew it.

TYEster 01-12-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 318720)

All it said is that "it was possible" but since they have no proof nor do I know what "experts" wrote that article, I can't really say yes or no. Until there's a real scientific trial(which there wont be) I'll take my "bro-science" of allllll the people I know, read about or heard about who've done them both responsibly and irresponsibly go by that trial and error rather some "supposed experts" on the matter.

And I'm only defending what you said "IS" and that you said steroids cause those injuries. Since there's no real scientific data to back up either of our claims, I'd rather go by what HAS been done and used. Such as aforementioned drug, and my first-hand basis. ;)

tommymac 01-12-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYEster (Post 318805)
All it said is that "it was possible" but since they have no proof nor do I know what "experts" wrote that article, I can't really say yes or no. Until there's a real scientific trial(which there wont be) I'll take my "bro-science" of allllll the people I know, read about or heard about who've done them both responsibly and irresponsibly go by that trial and error rather some "supposed experts" on the matter.

And I'm only defending what you said "IS" and that you said steroids cause those injuries. Since there's no real scientific data to back up either of our claims, I'd rather go by what HAS been done and used. Such as aforementioned drug, and my first-hand basis. ;)

Well best of luck to ya there, I will take whats written in a respected journal over a bunch of guys in the gym.

Before PA school I was looking to get into biochemistry/sports nutrition but the market wasnt all that good at the time so at the time I had a prety good knowledge of what was what but that was also over 15 yrs ago so i am sure alot has changed and I have no real interest on what theyre using now.

I did always get a kick out of the pseudo experts I would see at the gym or at gnc who would give out all sorts of wrong information, but they figured I was just some dumb metal head and I just kept my mouth shut and went about my business.

TYEster 01-12-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 318813)
Well best of luck to ya there, I will take whats written in a respected journal over a bunch of guys in the gym.

Before PA school I was looking to get into biochemistry/sports nutrition but the market wasnt all that good at the time so at the time I had a prety good knowledge of what was what but that was also over 15 yrs ago so i am sure alot has changed and I have no real interest on what theyre using now.

I did always get a kick out of the pseudo experts I would see at the gym or at gnc who would give out all sorts of wrong information, but they figured I was just some dumb metal head and I just kept my mouth shut and went about my business.

If you're going to someone in the gym or GNC for your steroid information, you're no better off than reading those medical documents who base all their information on how it looks on paper.

The internet is much more abundant with factual information(yes there is some out there), real trial & error that puts any medical lab rat results to shame, plus lots of user history. Like I said, there's nothing proven one way or another, but the right research on the right websites will get you better info. There is a reason professionals use this stuff, it's not just for fun. And there are real experts on the matter, but in America they can't just be all out n open with it, these are illegal drugs.

tommymac 01-12-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYEster (Post 318825)
If you're going to someone in the gym or GNC for your steroid information, you're no better off than reading those medical documents who base all their information on how it looks on paper.

The internet is much more abundant with factual information(yes there is some out there), real trial & error that puts any medical lab rat results to shame, plus lots of user history. Like I said, there's nothing proven one way or another, but the right research on the right websites will get you better info. There is a reason professionals use this stuff, it's not just for fun. And there are real experts on the matter, but in America they can't just be all out n open with it, these are illegal drugs.

Wasnt going to them for steroid info, just overhearing some of the convos and a cople of times asked the hacks at gnc about certain suppliment and it was painfully obvious they had no clue what they were talking about but made it sound like they did so I just nodded my head a few times and ran for the door.

I googled a bunch of sites just to find some quick facts and found it funny how some that were touting their use also had ads for "legal steroids" plastered all over their pages.

Sure there are articles and studies out there that are slanted one way or the other that will tout the stuff as the greatest thing or its worse than cancer, aids and ebola all wrapped in one.

I came very close to using them when I was playing football since I had plateaued in my training and for me I felt the risk/reward wasnt worth it for where I was at the time.

karl_1052 01-13-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYEster (Post 318825)
There is a reason professionals use this stuff, it's not just for fun.

It is to gain a competitive edge, no matter the cost.

Kaneman 01-13-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 318980)
It is to gain a competitive edge, no matter the cost.

I don't even buy that there's even a large cost to it if you do it right.