Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Dozens walk by dying good samaritan. (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=14447)

Dozens walk by dying good samaritan.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/...68349#36768349

Riceaholic 04-26-2010 02:40 AM

People that have no idea how something like that happens would probably walk by. They don't say whether he was bleeding or disfigured right off the bat. Sheltered people would block that right out.

tommymac 04-26-2010 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riceaholic (Post 366043)
People that have no idea how something like that happens would probably walk by. They don't say whether he was bleeding or disfigured right off the bat. Sheltered people would block that right out.

thats in a prety ghetto area in queens, I heard it on the radio going home from work last night. Sad but not surprising in that or some of the other areas throughout NYC :(

Particle Man 04-26-2010 09:43 AM

Un-freakin' real...

sherri_chickie 04-26-2010 10:53 AM

I actually can believe it. Here we have homeless sleeping on the street, usually not exactly in the middle of the sidewalk, but how many times have I walked past a sleeping homeless person and not thought about it? Unless you could obviously see blood, then it's heartless. Like the guy who turned him over, saw blood and kept on moving.

KSGregman 04-26-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherri_chickie (Post 366161)
I actually can believe it. Here we have homeless sleeping on the street, usually not exactly in the middle of the sidewalk, but how many times have I walked past a sleeping homeless person and not thought about it? Unless you could obviously see blood, then it's heartless. Like the guy who turned him over, saw blood and kept on moving.

Did you guys catch the story about the lady who was stabbed in a convenience store in a ghetto area of Wichita? Maybe 2 years ago? Yeah...stabbed right in the middle of the store...in broad daylight...and people were stepping over her to get to the counter....or out of the store. That lady died right there in the store and people were stepping over here like nothing was happening.

What was visible on the in store security tape was one of the more disturbing visual displays of inhumanity I've ever seen.

Fucking animals. :td:

Speedracer42 04-26-2010 11:16 AM

This stuff doesnt surprise me AT ALL anymore. Just yesterday I was on a rural hwy and came up on a fresh head on accident. With a line of 3-5 cars RIGHT behind me I was the only one to stop. Its bullshit

azoomm 04-26-2010 11:20 AM

What about the woman that he saved?? She wouldn't even check on him to say thank you?? What the hell is wrong with people... WOW.

101lifts2 04-26-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 366045)
thats in a prety ghetto area in queens, I heard it on the radio going home from work last night. Sad but not surprising in that or some of the other areas throughout NYC :(

Yeah one dude took a picture LOL and another lifted him up prolly to check for a gold chain or a wallet.

tommymac 04-26-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 366184)
Yeah one dude took a picture LOL and another lifted him up prolly to check for a gold chain or a wallet.

In that neck of the woods I wouldnt doubt it. Cops caught a kid stealing sneakers off someone who was shot and killed in brooklyn a while back. Prety sadin the end.

Trip 04-26-2010 01:02 PM

Kinda look like the guy was asleep on the sidewalk, people could of thought he was a bum. That's the only acceptable reason I can see for this shit.

Amorok 04-26-2010 05:27 PM

There is no acceptable reason. An explanation maybe, but that doesn't make it ok by any means.

Trip 04-26-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amorok (Post 366368)
There is no acceptable reason. An explanation maybe, but that doesn't make it ok by any means.

If you thought he was a sleeping hobo, would you wake the guy up?

jtemple 04-26-2010 07:14 PM

I'm in Nebraska of all places. Just last week, I saw a motorcyclist get rear ended in morning traffic. There were 30+ cars around. I was the only one that stopped.

askmrjesus 04-26-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 366371)

No.

I hate it when people try to wake me up.

JC

Trip 04-26-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 366481)
No.

I hate it when people try to wake me up.

JC

It's probably the sandals. People hate em.

askmrjesus 04-26-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 366488)
It's probably the sandals. People hate em.

Fuck 'em.

It's hot out, and I spent my sock money on Keno tickets.

JC

Papa_Complex 04-27-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 366513)
Fuck 'em.

It's hot out, and I spent my sock money on Keno tickets.

JC

At least you can get Keno tickets. Just think of all those people from South Carolina who have to step over you, just to get THEIR Keno tickets.

azoomm 04-27-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 366371)

And, the woman he saved, what is your answer for her?

z06boy 04-27-2010 09:36 AM

If the people thought he was just a drunk bum passed out I can see how this happened but other than that...I just don't understand people like this. I hope it never gets that way around here.

goof2 04-27-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 366571)

I'm guessing she was long gone.

Kaneman 04-27-2010 10:16 AM

I'm always surprised when other people are surprised by something like this. I mean, have those of you who found this behavior shocking even met another person in real life? :lol:

People are shit.

z06boy 04-27-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 366590)
I'm always surprised when other people are surprised by something like this. I mean, have those of you who found this behavior shocking even met another person in real life? :lol:

Who said they were shocked ? :scratch:

Quote:

People are shit.
Yes they are...that's why I conceal carry.

azoomm 04-27-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06boy (Post 366598)
Who said they were shocked ? :scratch:

Not shocked, just sad.

Kaneman 04-27-2010 10:29 AM

Seems to me like there was a lot of shock about this story. Could be wrong...though....it'd be the first time.

Papa_Complex 04-27-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 366603)
Seems to me like there was a lot of shock about this story. Could be wrong...though....it'd be the first time.

No. No shock. Hell, over the weekend a 70-something year old man was mugged on a subway car while a dozen or more people watched, without so much as hitting the panic strip, in "polite" Toronto. Yeah, polite indifference :(

z06boy 04-27-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 366602)
Not shocked, just sad.

Yep

pauldun170 04-27-2010 10:37 AM

people people people...

details

Homeless good Samaritan left to die on NYC street

By DEEPTI HAJELA
Associated Press Writer

Homeless Good Samaritan Left to Die on Street

NEW YORK (AP) -- The homeless man lay face down, unmoving, on the sidewalk outside an apartment building, blood from knife wounds pooling underneath his body.

One person passed by in the early morning. Then another, and another. Video footage from a surveillance camera shows at least seven people going by, some turning their heads to look, others stopping to gawk. One even lifted the homeless man's body, exposing what appeared to be blood on the sidewalk underneath him, before walking away.

It wasn't until after the 31-year-old Guatemalan immigrant had been lying there for nearly an hour that emergency workers arrived, and by then, it was too late. Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax - who police said was stabbed while intervening to help a woman being attacked - had died.

"I think it's horrific," said Marla Cohan, who teaches at P.S. 82, a school across the street from where Tale-Yax died. "I think people are just afraid to step in; they don't want to get involved; who knows what their reasons are?"

Tale-Yax was walking behind a man and a woman on 144th Street in the Jamaica section of Queens around 6 a.m. April 18 when the couple got into a fight that became physical, according to police, who pieced together what happened from surveillance footage and interviews with area residents.

Tale-Yax was stabbed several times when he intervened to help the woman, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said. She and the other man fled in different directions, and Tale-Yax pursued the man before collapsing. Authorities are searching for the man and woman.

A 911 call of a woman screaming came in around 6 a.m., but when officers responded to the address that was given, no one was there, police said. Another call came in around 7 a.m., saying a man was lying on the street, but gave the wrong address. Finally, around 7:20 a.m., someone called 911 to report a man had possibly been stabbed at 144th Street and 88th Road.
Police and firefighters arrived a few minutes later to find Tale-Yax dead. Officials say they're not sure whether the man was still alive when passers-by opted not to help him.

Residents who regularly pass by the same stretch of sidewalk, in a working-class neighborhood of low-rise apartment buildings and fast food restaurants near a busy boulevard, were unnerved by the way Tale-Yax died.

"Is anybody human anymore?" asked Raechelle Groce, visiting her grandmother at a nearby building on Monday. "What's wrong with humanity?"

In the urban environment, it's not unusual to see people on the street, sleeping or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

But even assuming the person they've just passed is drunk, instead of injured, is no reason not to notify authorities, said Seth Herman, another teacher at the school. He remembered calling an ambulance when seeing a man who appeared to be homeless on the street, with a beer bottle near by.

He called 911, he said, because "I felt it wasn't my job to figure out if the person was drunk or actually hurt."

Groce agreed.

"I just think that's horrible, whether you're homeless or not," she said. "He's a human being; he needs help."

---

Associated Press writer Colleen Long contributed to this report.

too sum up
The issue is that since the guy was obviously an illegal immigrant (since anyone from central or south america is by default an illegal immigrant), everyone called INS instead of NYPD. Once you filter out the people who just figured the guy to be homeless or drunk, some called, some may have done a finda cop but to no avail (since it is usually more effective to find a cop then it is to wait 1/2 hour for NYPD to respond to a call) and at least one is the killer.
The pair that took photos have now started up a website.

Late night dude on the street test: Look for breathing, test the air (sniff test), poke at limb least likely to reach you should the guy wake up, look for signs of trauma (from 4 feet away) and perform a "Hey buddy" reponse test.

Personally I'm proud of all those involved because noone lifted his wallet and thats indicative of the low crime rates we all enjoy in the city.

Homeslice 04-27-2010 11:41 AM

:zowned:

Trip 04-27-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 366571)

She was a whore. I was just guessing about the people who walked by. Hell that one guy picked him up and took off he has no excuse either.

Kaneman 04-27-2010 12:19 PM

The details Paul posted don't really change anything. Calling 911 and giving a vague or incorrect address and not staying to help the man is only one step better than doing nothing, and many steps short of doing right.

cbrchick 04-27-2010 02:25 PM

Man, that's nuts....

I couldn't imagine doing that. I can't even walk by the drunks/frequent fliers I know if they are passed out downtown. I have to do a breath check... I know I'd get shit on from my co-workers, but I'd call it in if I needed to. I dunno about doing CPR - I know their health history, but I'd do what I could until "protected" help arrived.

I even stopped to help a drug addict that was getting her head pounded by another toothless wonder (this chick's dentures fell out onto the ground when I helped her up).

I'm too eager to help people half the time. With my luck, I'll get stabbed one day helping someone and I'd get left for dead.....

Kirsty

Smittie61984 05-04-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 366637)
The details Paul posted don't really change anything. Calling 911 and giving a vague or incorrect address and not staying to help the man is only one step better than doing nothing, and many steps short of doing right.

A few years back I broke a phone and found an old Nokia (that had the snake game). I don't care about fancy features and needed a phone and went to the Verizon store to activate that phone. The store told me they couldn't do it. I noticed the phone worked before so I didn't see what was wrong with it. Apparently they were prohibited from doing it because the phone did not have emergency GPS and was required by the government to only activate Emergency GPS capable phones. I walked out pissed but finally got a GPS phone.

1 month ago a tree fell on some power lines near my girlfriend's apartment. Since I work in the utility industry I was priviledged to have the inside information that power lines are powered (Amazing isn't it). I kept seeing people walk up to the downed lines and I kept yelling at them to get away. I finally called 911 to get some cops or firetrucks out there before some idiot got themself killed (why I bothered I don't know, I'd love to see some idiot get zapped). It was on a road behind my GF's apartment and I didn't know the name. I spent what felt like forever trying to tell them how to get there.

That got me to thinking. I spent a long time arguing with Verizon about this bullshit government regulation GPS shit and when I actually do use it they can't find me. Then I read this story where they had 3 calls and 911 still couldn't figure out the location. What happend to this GPS shit???

Kaneman 05-05-2010 09:24 AM

Smittie, what about pre-paid phones?

jtemple 05-06-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smittie61984 (Post 369476)
A few years back I broke a phone and found an old Nokia (that had the snake game). I don't care about fancy features and needed a phone and went to the Verizon store to activate that phone. The store told me they couldn't do it. I noticed the phone worked before so I didn't see what was wrong with it. Apparently they were prohibited from doing it because the phone did not have emergency GPS and was required by the government to only activate Emergency GPS capable phones. I walked out pissed but finally got a GPS phone.

1 month ago a tree fell on some power lines near my girlfriend's apartment. Since I work in the utility industry I was priviledged to have the inside information that power lines are powered (Amazing isn't it). I kept seeing people walk up to the downed lines and I kept yelling at them to get away. I finally called 911 to get some cops or firetrucks out there before some idiot got themself killed (why I bothered I don't know, I'd love to see some idiot get zapped). It was on a road behind my GF's apartment and I didn't know the name. I spent what felt like forever trying to tell them how to get there.

That got me to thinking. I spent a long time arguing with Verizon about this bullshit government regulation GPS shit and when I actually do use it they can't find me. Then I read this story where they had 3 calls and 911 still couldn't figure out the location. What happend to this GPS shit???

Even a non-activated phone can make 911 calls. It's a federal law. Battered women's shelters accept old phone donations for that very reason.

Smittie61984 05-06-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 369911)
Even a non-activated phone can make 911 calls. It's a federal law. Battered women's shelters accept old phone donations for that very reason.

That's not the problem. The problem is I was told that Verizon could not activate my other phoen becuase of a government regulation requiring all new phones that are activated to be equipped with a GPS that would become active when someone called 911 so they could locate you. I used 911 and they couldn't locate me in the middle of a city despite my phone has GPS on it because of a government regulation.