Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Iphone 4 (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=15337)

derf 06-24-2010 04:56 PM

Iphone 4

So I just got myself a google voice number and got a call a friend who just bought an iphone 4. He hates the phone! he can't make any calls while the phone is in his hand because it drops the calls. He also said battery life is less than his older 3gs, especially with multiple programs running. And after a few hours of ownership he scratched the back of it already from putting it in his pocket with a lighter

DLIT 06-24-2010 05:08 PM

I haven't had any issues yet. Haven't tested the battery life yet, but no dropped calls. I'm hearing it's because the antennas on the side. Simply placing your hand on it in some way will drop the call. Does he have a case yet?

Porkchop 06-24-2010 05:09 PM

Droids FTW.....

DLIT 06-24-2010 05:13 PM

Arguing about phones is like arguing about the big four in bikes. None of us will maximize the potential of either one and they all do the same shit in one way or another. Bikes go fast, smartphones do smartphone things. Don't like one, get the other then. You like one, keep it then...and buy a newer model if you want.

Homeslice 06-24-2010 05:14 PM

Worrying about scratches, lol...........How about using a case, or simply a layer of clear packaging tape?

Dave 06-24-2010 05:56 PM

Saw one in the wild today. Pretty boring design if you ask me

Rangerscott 06-24-2010 06:10 PM

At least my droid doesnt drop calls. Yea. In yo face in yo face. Im surprised there hasnt been a lawsuit against apple on the iphone cant make calls situation. Youd think there would have been someone on he phone wih 911 in a real emergency and the line drop.

Trip 06-24-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 386601)
Arguing about phones is like arguing about the big four in bikes. None of us will maximize the potential of either one and they all do the same shit in one way or another. Bikes go fast, smartphones do smartphone things. Don't like one, get the other then. You like one, keep it then...and buy a newer model if you want.

Maybe you can't, but I can easily max out the potential of any electronic device I have ever owned. Any phone that's out currently is too slow for me.

Trip 06-24-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 386594)
So I just got myself a google voice number and got a call a friend who just bought an iphone 4. He hates the phone! he can't make any calls while the phone is in his hand because it drops the calls. He also said battery life is less than his older 3gs, especially with multiple programs running. And after a few hours of ownership he scratched the back of it already from putting it in his pocket with a lighter

Battery issues aren't addressable this early. You need at least 2 weeks of charges for the battery to start holding a charge properly. Tell your friend to keep charging and come tell us about battery life in 3 weeks.

marko138 06-24-2010 06:30 PM

Better yet, tell your friend none of us give a fuck.

Rangerscott 06-24-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 386618)
Better yet, tell your friend none of us give a fuck.

You know. This guy may be a dick, but THIS.

Particle Man 06-24-2010 06:57 PM

Every new run of a phone starts with "battery issues"

um, like any rechargable device there's a battery conditioning period...

Trip 06-24-2010 07:17 PM

The only thing disappointing I know about it so far is the "multitasking." All that shit Steve said about doing it right and all he did was a really shitty work around to get a limited sorta multi task that works some of the time. It's not a proper multitasking. It's not global at all. Weaksauce, Jobs, weak fucking sauce.

Rangerscott 06-24-2010 07:26 PM

Dont fret. Theyll still sell likes its a dildo convention and 100,000 single women are attending.

Dave 06-24-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 386616)
Maybe you can't, but I can easily max out the potential of any electronic device I have ever owned. Any phone that's out currently is too slow for me.

I can't even count the number of times I got divide by zero errors on the old one :lol:

Dave 06-24-2010 08:56 PM

We just walked past the massive line at the apple store and victoria started making sheep noises :lmao:

Trip 06-24-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 386673)
We just walked past the massive line at the apple store and victoria started making sheep noises :lmao:

lol

Particle Man 06-24-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 386673)

there's an app for that

:lol:

LeeNetworX 06-25-2010 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 386602)
Worrying about scratches, lol...........

You say that, yet have you seen the resale value of used iPhones? If you keep them in good condition, you can use them for a couple years and still sell them for a nice amount when you are done with it, especially if it's scratch-free.

anthonyk 06-25-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 386689)
there's an app for that

:lol:

http://www.claireware.com/ihearewe/

It's even free. Baaaaaa.

Particle Man 06-25-2010 10:10 AM

:lmao: I should have known

dubbs 06-25-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 386749)
You say that, yet have you seen the resale value of used iPhones? If you keep them in good condition, you can use them for a couple years and still sell them for a nice amount when you are done with it, especially if it's scratch-free.

Sold my old 3GS 32GB for 400$ Bought the 4 for 300.. Seems like a win/win to me.

stermp66 06-25-2010 11:04 AM

stupid question but when you dial 911 the old cell phones would use any available tower in the area regardless of whose tower it was att ver, sprint. with all these changes do they still do that?

Trip 06-25-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stermp66 (Post 386803)
stupid question but when you dial 911 the old cell phones would use any available tower in the area regardless of whose tower it was att ver, sprint. with all these changes do they still do that?

no, you would have to use the tower the phone can access. AT&T phones do not work with Verizon and Verizon phones do not work with AT&T.

Different types of radios. Old phones would be this way too.

caveman 06-25-2010 01:22 PM

The US cell phone system sucks. Over in Europe, all cells work with all carrier towers. Not only that, but the user is only charged if they are making a call, so if you never make a call all you ever pay is the service fee, all incoming calls are free. course thats how it was when i was over there in 97-00. Things may have changed since then.......

I just hate how these companies say this about the other and how they are so much better then this guy and that guys service sucks, blah, blah, blah........
Just make a damn service that doesn't drop calls doesn't have dead spots and will always make a call period regardless of what tower your on without stupid roaming charges and what not.

the chi 06-25-2010 01:37 PM

Ya know, I hear alot about dropped calls with the Iphone but in the 2 years I've owned one, I cant think of a single time mine has done that. Other than the occasional freeze its never given me an issue.

Trip 06-25-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the chi (Post 386838)
Ya know, I hear alot about dropped calls with the Iphone but in the 2 years I've owned one, I cant think of a single time mine has done that. Other than the occasional freeze its never given me an issue.

That's cause you never have service for it to be an issue. :lol:

It's more an issue in large cities like New York and San Fran where the network is overloaded with iphones.

the chi 06-25-2010 02:18 PM

Please. More like I dont talk on the phone enough. But even in low service areas, mine works fine. :shrug:

Trip 06-25-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the chi (Post 386851)
Please. More like I dont talk on the phone enough. But even in low service areas, mine works fine. :shrug:

See the second sentence, it's not an issue for rural people as much as it is for very large densely populated areas that have hundreds of thousands of iphones on the same network. AT&T can't handle the monster it gave birth too.

These are also people that live on their phone, so they go through some minutes and experience more failures than the average user.

Amber Lamps 06-25-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the chi (Post 386851)

Well that's "elfin magic" for ya...

the chi 06-25-2010 02:27 PM

Ick. I live for the interwebs and games on my phone. Talking, not so much.

dubbs 06-25-2010 02:28 PM

Are there any phones on any network that never drop a call?

Trip 06-25-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbs (Post 386858)

I never drop calls unless I am in known dead spots. I have never dropped a 3G available call to my recollection. Pretty much with any phone I have had on Verizon.

marko138 06-25-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbs (Post 386858)

What do you think?

dubbs 06-25-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 386861)
What do you think?

I think no.. But trip's phones have seemed to be perfect.

marko138 06-25-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbs (Post 386862)
I think no.. But trip's phones have seemed to be perfect.

Thats just Trip. Everyone else is different...as in...not perfect.

anthonyk 06-25-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the chi (Post 386838)

Yeah, I had the same experience (even in San Francisco on visits) until I came to the Portland area this week. I don't know what the hell is up with the network in this area, but with full AT&T bars earlier in the week I was getting dropped about every 2 minutes. Today seems better, but we'll see.

Trip 06-25-2010 02:33 PM

Well I talk like a total of 80 mins a month on my phone, so I don't really give it much an opportunity to drop a call since I average probably around 2 mins per call.

Amber Lamps 06-25-2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 386866)
Well I talk like a total of 80 mins a month on my phone, so I don't really give it much an opportunity to drop a call since I average probably around 2 mins per call.

I figured as much... I put in 3600 minutes last month, I drive a lot and talk on the phone=lots of dropped calls.:panic:

marko138 06-25-2010 02:36 PM

I get dropped calls all the damn time. I dont live in an insanely populated area and I dont have an iPhone. But I am on ATT's beat ass bullshit network.

dubbs 06-25-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Ah ok.. I only beat you by like 120 mins.. but I've only had a few dropped calls between my two iphones.. most are while I'm talking to another AT&T user.. I don't think they like to give priority to the free calls.

Trip 06-25-2010 02:37 PM

How many phones drop calls due to holding it on the side of the phone though? LOL at apple fail.

dubbs 06-25-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 386872)
How many phones drop calls due to holding it on the side of the phone though? LOL at apple fail.

So far none!.. but i do notice the service go down A LOT.. I can't believe they let that shit through.. anyone do any fucking testing?

I work for an IT company if we did something like that, I don't think we'd be in business.

the chi 06-25-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

:lol: You talk at least double the amount of time I do then. I hate being on the phone, texting is just fine for me unless its an emergency. Probably why I dont notice more dropped calls.

Trip 06-25-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbs (Post 386875)
So far none!.. but i do notice the service go down A LOT.. I can't believe they let that shit through.. anyone do any fucking testing?

I work for an IT company if we did something like that, I don't think we'd be in business.

Have you tried the youtube method yet to test it out to see if you can do it? That shit is hilarious. Poor poor quality testing.

Probably missed it cause they tested the thing in a fake cover like the one the apple engineer who lost his had instead of the real case.

It's hilarious they are going to have to put a plastic covering over it to stop the drop calls from grabbing the metal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the chi (Post 386877)
:lol: You talk at least double the amount of time I do then. I hate being on the phone, texting is just fine for me unless its an emergency. Probably why I dont notice more dropped calls.

If my mom and dad lived near me, it would probably drop to 20 mins, but my mom calls me to bother me regularly.

KSGregman 06-25-2010 02:46 PM

I'm amused by the amount of shit sandwich Apple Fan bois and fan goirls are willing to eat.

Fan Boi / Fan Goirl: My latest i-Tard device doesn't work!!!

Apple: You're doing it wrong....asshole...here...buy this Apple propietary cover...that will fix it.

Fan Boi / Fan Goirl: Absolutely...look look!!! It has the i-Tard logo and EVERYTHING!!! I'd LOVE to pay for functionality that should have been there to begin with.

:lmao:

dubbs 06-25-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 386878)
Have you tried the youtube method yet to test it out to see if you can do it? That shit is hilarious. Poor poor quality testing.

Probably missed it cause they tested the thing in a fake cover like the one the apple engineer who lost his had instead of the real case.

It's hilarious they are going to have to put a plastic covering over it to stop the drop calls from grabbing the metal.

Yeah if i hold it a certain way (not the way i normally hold the phone) I can get it to drop 4 bars and even sometimes lose the signal altogether.. I used a case the whole time i had the 3gs and always had perfect service. I guess I'll get some off ebay again for this one..

dubbs 06-25-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSGregman (Post 386880)
I'm amused by the amount of shit sandwich Apple Fan bois and fan goirls are willing to eat.

Apple: You're doing it wrong....asshole...here...buy this Apple propietary cover...that will fix it.

Fan Boi / Fan Goirl: Absolutely...look look!!! It has the i-Tard logo and EVERYTHING!!! I'd LOVE to pay for functionality that should have been there to begin with.

What phone do you have so i can hate on it for no reason?

anthonyk 06-25-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSGregman (Post 386880)

Uh, for what it's worth, those Apple customers are a tiny, tiny fraction. Maybe the most vocal, but that's not the mood of most customers.

KSGregman 06-25-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbs (Post 386883)
What phone do you have so i can hate on it for no reason?

I have very specific reasons to "hate on" Apple and their hipper than thou fan bois....having said that, I have a Blackberry Storm and believe me, there is NOTHING you can say to "hate on" it that I haven't already said....at least once...or twice. It's a real piece of shit but I'm stuck with it until Christmas as I used my free upgrade to get my daughter a new mobile for Christmas last year. :lol:

dubbs 06-25-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSGregman (Post 386888)
I have very specific reasons to "hate on" Apple and their hipper than thou fan bois....having said that, I have a Blackberry Storm and believe me, there is NOTHING you can say to "hate on" it that I haven't already said....at least once...or twice. It's a real piece of shit but I'm stuck with it until Christmas as I used my free upgrade to get my daughter a new mobile for Christmas last year. :lol:

Gotta love stereo types.. I hate apple by the way.. i just think they make a good phone..

Have fun with the storm.. :wtfru:

KSGregman 06-25-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbs (Post 386890)
Gotta love stereo types..

It's not a stereotype...it's a monster of their own creation. Have you never seen any Apple advertising? Have you never heard their Dictator, I mean, Prophet, I mean, Savior, I mean CEO speak?

dubbs 06-25-2010 03:26 PM

Yes I have heard him speak, dude believes in the shit he creates.. I don't really see that much wrong with it.. I agree ppl take it too far, but so does everyone else with other shit.

Whenever ppl don't like a product that someone else likes, they call em fan boys.. I don't get it. I guess ur a blackberry fan boy then.

Trip 06-25-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSGregman (Post 386888)

Call verizon every day for about 10 days about how your phone is dropping calls and not receiving txts (not true, it was just a piece of shit phone issue) and they will upgrade you now. I did it. I wasn't due til september, I got it in may.

Trip 06-25-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbs (Post 386892)
Yes I have heard him speak, dude believes in the shit he creates.. I don't really see that much wrong with it.. I agree ppl take it too far, but so does everyone else with other shit.

Whenever ppl don't like a product that someone else likes, they call em fan boys.. I don't get it. I guess ur a blackberry fan boy then.

Dude goes beyond that and makes up shit, uses partial quotes of people, or just flat out lies. He is the king of the stereotype. Jobs is a cocksucker.

Take for example him making fun of Google for multitasking and not doing it right and that Apple would do it right. Well all that shit talk and iphone still doesn't have multitasking. It's got a work around that isn't true multitasking by any such definition. Way to fail, Steve, way to fail.

It is not for the good of the technological world for him to be sole proprietor of technology. It's really good that android came along to compete with him and keep prices down and advancement quickly growing.

derf 06-25-2010 03:48 PM

Im sitting at the dmv and there are a bunch off hs aged kids a few rows behind me showing off thier iphone4s, and one just dropped hers and destroyed the screen

Dave 06-25-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 386897)
Im sitting at the dmv and there are a bunch off hs aged kids a few rows behind me showing off thier iphone4s, and one just dropped hers and destroyed the screen

Buahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

KSGregman 06-25-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 386893)
Call verizon every day for about 10 days about how your phone is dropping calls and not receiving txts (not true, it was just a piece of shit phone issue) and they will upgrade you now. I did it. I wasn't due til september, I got it in may.

I'll give this approach a shot...though I prefer the in store approach...get on someone's case and stay on it until they see it my way. :lmao:

I'm desperate to rid myself of the aggravation...it's a decent phone when it's stable...but it just flakes out wwwwwaaaayyyy too often. I'm on my 4th phone...2 had fatal software breakdowns and the third one had the center pivot of the touch screen give out.

Trip 06-25-2010 03:53 PM

hahahahahhaha

Steve Jobs: "You aren't doing it right. It's your own fault, so you need to buy new stuff for you to be do it right."

Classic, what a douchebag.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2844

Quote:

Yep, turns out the lower left corner of the iPhone 4's antenna-housing stainless-steel rim is sensitive to human skin, so much so that your AT&T reception may drop precipitously when you hold the phone on the left side. Steve Jobs' advice: Don't hold it like that.

That's the response Ars Technica got from a query to Apple corporate — with Jobs cc'd — about the iPhone 4's widely reported reception issues, which seem to strike if your hand covers the lower left corner of the phone, particularly near a thin black stripe across the steel band that rings the phone.

For the record, Jobs' exact reply to Ars was: "All phones have sensitive areas. Just avoid holding it that way."

Meanwhile, a reader over at TUAW (The Unofficial Apple Weblog) who asked Jobs via e-mail whether the iPhone 4 reception problem was due to a "design flaw" got a similar response: "Nope. Just don't hold it that way."

After a little back-and-forth with a second TUAW reader, Jobs' answer eventually morphed into a somewhat more corporate phrasing:

"Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases."

While Jobs denies that the iPhone 4's sensitive lower left corner is a "design flaw," one can't help but second-guess Apple's decision to boost the iPhone 4's reception by essentially turning the steel band that encircles the handset into a big antenna — an idea that sounds great on paper, but as my fellow Yahoo! News blogger Chris Null points out, antennas don't necessarily react that well to being touched.

I'm having no problem re-creating the iPhone 4's reception woes. Just now, I dialed the Moviefone number while holding the iPhone in my fingertips: perfect reception, with five bars, all loud and clear. But once I cupped the iPhone in my hand on the left side, touching that lower-left corner, the AT&T reception bars began to disappear one by one, until finally the Moviefone guy went silent and a "Call Failed" notification popped up.

To be fair, though, I should point out that when my hand isn't in contact with the specific no-touch zone in the lower left corner, reception on my iPhone 4 seems markedly better than it was on my iPhone 3GS. Usually I have to resort to Skype when trying to make voice calls in my apartment (believe me, I've become quite the Skyper in the past year or so). In my testing so far, however, regular voice calls on the iPhone 4 have gone through without a hitch, and I've yet to fall back on Skype.

Why has my new iPhone not been dropping calls one after another, given its aversion to being touched? Well, now that I'm paying attention, I've noticed that when I'm making iPhone voice calls, I usually hold the handset with just my fingertips rather than cupping it in my palm. I'm also right-handed, which means if I do end up touching its bottom corner with the base of my palm, it's usually on the right side, not the left side.

But that's just me. What if your habit is to hold a phone the (ahem) "wrong" way? You might have to resort to buying one of Apple's $30 Bumper iPhone cases, which seems to cure the iPhone 4 reception problems. (Kinda makes you wonder, right?)

Now, as Jobs points out, other makes and models of phones also suffer reception problems when they're held the "wrong" way. Still, the bottom line from Apple seems to be that this is just another iPhone quirk we have to live with, similar to the 3.5mm headset jack on the original iPhone that would only take headset jacks specifically designed to fit its unusually narrow opening.

In other words, it's not the phone's fault. We're just using it wrong. Silly us.

dubbs 06-25-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 386901)
hahahahahhaha

Steve Jobs: "You aren't doing it right. It's your own fault, so you need to buy new stuff for you to be do it right."

Classic, what a douchebag.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2844

I have to admit, it is pretty funny that they let this go and his answer, but really.. for me, when i talk on the phone my hand is in an OK spot..

Trip 06-25-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbs (Post 386907)
I have to admit, it is pretty funny that they let this go and his answer, but really.. for me, when i talk on the phone my hand is in an OK spot..

Yeah, I don't really see it as a big deal. It's just an issue with the phone that you can solve with a case. Not a big deal. It's just hilarious this douche won't just say "yeah, we fucked up" and then do something cool like offer the case up to all preordered iphones or who bought them on the first day, but then after that everyone else has to buy the case outright since you know about the issue.

dubbs 06-25-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 386908)
Yeah, I don't really see it as a big deal. It's just an issue with the phone that you can solve with a case. Not a big deal. It's just hilarious this douche won't just say "yeah, we fucked up" and then do something cool like offer the case up to all preordered iphones or who bought them on the first day, but then after that everyone else has to buy the case outright since you know about the issue.

Truth.

DLIT 06-25-2010 04:16 PM

They definitely fucked up. Fortunately a simple case should resolve it. Mine has been encased since minute one. And it's not an Apple brand case either. I don't know anybody with an iPhone that doesn't use a case.

RACER X 06-25-2010 04:29 PM

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Rob/newphone.png

DLIT 06-25-2010 04:39 PM

Hahahaha

Amber Lamps 06-25-2010 05:43 PM

That could be me or my gf...she hasn't stopped playing with her EVO other than to work, eat, sleep and have sex. In our defense, there are new apps everyday to explore....:lol: I've had my phone for months and still find new things everyday.

Trip 06-25-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 386930)
That could be me or my gf...she hasn't stopped playing with her EVO other than to work, eat, sleep and have sex. In our defense, there are new apps everyday to explore....:lol: I've had my phone for months and still find new things everyday.

Oh I play with my phone all the damn time, ask my wife. I just don't make calls all that much. Hell I am ranked #3 in the world on one app I play.

DLIT 06-26-2010 03:45 PM

Here's my case.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/IMG_4108.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/IMG_4107.jpg

Amber Lamps 06-26-2010 04:45 PM

Nice! I keep eye balling Otterboxes but I use both my desk and car cradles so any snap on case would have to be removed... I might consider getting one just for rides though. Hmmmm...

DLIT 06-26-2010 05:05 PM

What's an Otterbox?

Trip 06-26-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 387115)
What's an Otterbox?

It's a big monstorous thing that keeps phones safe. They look dumb as hell. Makes you look like a fuckin moron who probably deserves to be wearing a helmet if they have to go to that length to not fuck up their phone.

Amber Lamps 06-26-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 387115)
What's an Otterbox?

http://www.otterbox.com/

Kaneman 06-26-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 386869)
I figured as much... I put in 3600 minutes last month, I drive a lot and talk on the phone=lots of dropped calls.:panic:

Did you know its scientifically proven by study after study that people are more likely to kill innocent drivers and pedestrians, or themselves/a loved one, when they talk on the phone while they drive? Why, oh why, oh why o y o y would anyone ever drive while talking on the phone knowing this? I mean, what kind of a person does that? :lol: hehe

I like in Ft. Worth, had the iPhone for 2 years. Dozens and dozens of dropped calls. But all my friends had iPhones too, so it wasn't always clear who's was at fault. I loved that phone, and it dominated the market for a long time, but even the 4 doesn't hold a candle next to the new line of Droids.

Had the Incredible about 3 weeks now....haven't dropped a call yet and has only had to be rebooted once. That's pretty goddamn stable, so far so good.

Amorok 06-26-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 387122)
It's a big monstorous thing that keeps phones safe. They look dumb as hell. Makes you look like a fuckin moron who probably deserves to be wearing a helmet if they have to go to that length to not fuck up their phone.

Well, I ride and use my phone as an mp3 player and navigator while I do so, so something that protects it from water, vibration, dust and road grime isn't a terrible idea. I don't have one for the same reason as Tigger but I can see the point of them. It's like a helmet for your phone.

As for iPhone 4, everytime any new phone comes out I run into a bunch of fanboys who are rabid about it. The same with new cars, bikes, and computers. I hate a lot of the things Apple does, and I think there are a lot of good things about all of the leading smart phones - that's why they're the leading phones. I happen to like Apple, that's not to say I don't wish I could have some Droid features but I'd bet there are some things Droid users would like from iPhone if they were honest. Whatever.

Kaneman 06-26-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amorok (Post 387128)
I'd bet there are some things Droid users would like from iPhone if they were honest. Whatever.

Honestly can't think of one. Honestly.

derf 06-26-2010 06:31 PM

An otter box is a water proof plastic case with a flexible touch screen film so you can use all sorts of electronics and are not limited to what is designed specifically for your phone

derf 06-26-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 387129)

Mu complains were all fixed in ther 2.1 update, not that i have seen it yet. And battery life which was improved through third party apps.

Plus I got a ton of porn on my phone, take that jobs

DLIT 06-26-2010 06:49 PM

Fuck Otterboxes. I've seen them on EBay. Too huge. Takes away from the styling of the phone.

Trip 06-26-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 387146)
Fuck Otterboxes. I've seen them on EBay. Too huge. Takes away from the styling of the phone.

yeah, all the intended lightness and size of the phone goes out the window once you add one of those fuckers. You can get some decent protecting ones without getting one of those monstrosities. Might as well carry around one of those old school zach morris box phones that could survive a nuclear winter.

http://zoonormous.files.wordpress.co...rris-phone.jpg

Rangerscott 06-26-2010 07:01 PM

Ya. Fuck that otter. I take my droid swimming with me all the time. I even take off the glass screen. Real Talk Bitches! I do use saran wrap to keep my junk clean.

derf 06-26-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 387129)

Mu complains were all fixed in ther 2.1 update, not that i have seen it yet. And battery life which was improved through third party apps.

Plus I got a ton of porn on my phone, take that jobs

derf 06-26-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 387150)
Ya. Fuck that otter. I take my droid swimming with me all the time. I even take off the glass screen. Real Talk Bitches! I do use saran wrap to keep my junk clean.

Saran wrap, better than trying to use tin foil as a condom

Amber Lamps 06-26-2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 387127)
Did you know its scientifically proven by study after study that people are more likely to kill innocent drivers and pedestrians, or themselves/a loved one, when they talk on the phone while they drive? Why, oh why, oh why o y o y would anyone ever drive while talking on the phone knowing this? I mean, what kind of a person does that? :lol: hehe

I like in Ft. Worth, had the iPhone for 2 years. Dozens and dozens of dropped calls. But all my friends had iPhones too, so it wasn't always clear who's was at fault. I loved that phone, and it dominated the market for a long time, but even the 4 doesn't hold a candle next to the new line of Droids.

Had the Incredible about 3 weeks now....haven't dropped a call yet and has only had to be rebooted once. That's pretty goddamn stable, so far so good.

FWIW I always use a hands free device... Oh and the reason is money, clue me in when smoking starts paying bills.

Kaneman 06-27-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 387191)
FWIW I always use a hands free device... Oh and the reason is money, clue me in when smoking starts paying bills.

Study after study has shown that using a hands free device doesn't make a difference in the increased probability you will kill someone innocent. Clue me in when paying the bills justifies murder. You goddamn murderous bastard.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...ellphone_N.htm

Rangerscott 06-27-2010 01:15 PM

I don't talk on the phone while driving unless I absolutely have to and that's less than a handful of times a year. I don't like talking on a phone anyways.

Amber Lamps 06-27-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 387287)
Study after study has shown that using a hands free device doesn't make a difference in the increased probability you will kill someone innocent. Clue me in when paying the bills justifies murder. You goddamn murderous bastard.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...ellphone_N.htm

Hmm...well, killing or being prepared to kill used to pay my bills so oh well.

I don't deny that talking on the phone can be distracting. If we were really smart, we'd eliminate all distractions from the driver, put him up front, like a chaffer without a radio or anything, isolated from everything else. So he could completely focus on driving.

Unlike you all, I can admit that some of the things I do aren't in the best interests of myself or those around me. I don't claim to be perfect, are we back on the premise that one must be perfect in every aspect to be allowed to criticize anything or anyone? Also, I don't admonish my peers for performing acts that I do myself, or do you claim to NEVER drive and talk on the phone? I do them because I either have to or because I need to do them to get through my everyday life and/or be more productive in my profession. I use voice dialing and a hands free device to minimize the potential distraction and thus the danger. IMHO, the most dangerous moment when using the phone while driving is dialing.:idk:

derf 06-27-2010 04:37 PM

Fuck that, im driving right now, yippie kayah mother dickey

Kaneman 06-27-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 387323)
Hmm...well, killing or being prepared to kill used to pay my bills so oh well.

I don't deny that talking on the phone can be distracting. If we were really smart, we'd eliminate all distractions from the driver, put him up front, like a chaffer without a radio or anything, isolated from everything else. So he could completely focus on driving.

Unlike you all, I can admit that some of the things I do aren't in the best interests of myself or those around me. I don't claim to be perfect, are we back on the premise that one must be perfect in every aspect to be allowed to criticize anything or anyone? Also, I don't admonish my peers for performing acts that I do myself, or do you claim to NEVER drive and talk on the phone? I do them because I either have to or because I need to do them to get through my everyday life and/or be more productive in my profession. I use voice dialing and a hands free device to minimize the potential distraction and thus the danger. IMHO, the most dangerous moment when using the phone while driving is dialing.:idk:

I never do anything that needlessly or selfishly puts other peoples health at risk...correct.

Amber Lamps 06-27-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 387392)
I never do anything that needlessly or selfishly puts other peoples health at risk...correct.

like smoking around them?...:idk: like speeding?.... like drinking any alcohol and driving?... like letting your dog out without a leash?... hmmm well, I personally don't know what it's like to be perfect. fwiw, I guarantee that even talking on my blue tooth, I'm still a better driver than most people behind the wheel. I've been driving for a living for over 20 years total without an accident so... real talk.

Rangerscott 06-27-2010 10:35 PM

Dumb bitch high school was texting and driving while I was riding. I had to honk my horn for dumb bitch to go on green arrow. Of course before taking off she looks around like a dumb bitch for 15 seconds. Then dumb bitch finally takes off and dumb bitch is still texting on her dumb bitch phone. As I passed dumb bitch she's texting and holding the wheel with her forearms; dumb bitch looks at me as I pass while I move my head in the "you're a dumb bitch" motion. Dumb bitch.

But I'm a high school girl, I can't kill anyone cause I'm a dumb bitch. Killing someone is killing someone. Doesn't matter if it was an accident or on purpose. Maybe some day we'll have a judicial system that'll actually punish phone killers.

Kaneman 06-27-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 387402)
like smoking around them?...:idk: like speeding?.... like drinking any alcohol and driving?... like letting your dog out without a leash?... hmmm well, I personally don't know what it's like to be perfect. fwiw, I guarantee that even talking on my blue tooth, I'm still a better driver than most people behind the wheel. I've been driving for a living for over 20 years total without an accident so... real talk.

Guilty on the speeding, when I ride, otherwise I don't do any of those things. I, honest to God, have never driven or ridden drunk...not even over the legal limit.

Really though I'm just fuckin with you cause that's what we do. Real talk. I think most people on this forum, and those capable of piloting a motorcycle without dying right away, are capable enough to drive while carrying on a conversation.

Amorok 06-28-2010 07:37 AM

I use a handsfree device to talk when I drive, it's mandated on base. I'm sure there are studies that prove blah blah blah but I don't understand how it's any different than talking to a passenger. Are the other people in my car supposed to stare straight ahead like zombies and avoid any interaction with me? Hell, that's why I bring another person on long trips. BTW, there are studies for everything, like the one that says I need to bust a nut every day for the health of my prostate.

Particle Man 06-28-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 387416)
Dumb bitch high school was texting and driving while I was riding. I had to honk my horn for dumb bitch to go on green arrow. Of course before taking off she looks around like a dumb bitch for 15 seconds. Then dumb bitch finally takes off and dumb bitch is still texting on her dumb bitch phone. As I passed dumb bitch she's texting and holding the wheel with her forearms; dumb bitch looks at me as I pass while I move my head in the "you're a dumb bitch" motion. Dumb bitch.

But I'm a high school girl, I can't kill anyone cause I'm a dumb bitch. Killing someone is killing someone. Doesn't matter if it was an accident or on purpose. Maybe some day we'll have a judicial system that'll actually punish phone killers.

so was she a dumb bitch?

Amber Lamps 06-28-2010 10:09 AM

f
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaneman (Post 387425)
Guilty on the speeding, when I ride, otherwise I don't do any of those things. I, honest to God, have never driven or ridden drunk...not even over the legal limit.

Really though I'm just fuckin with you cause that's what we do. Real talk. I think most people on this forum, and those capable of piloting a motorcycle without dying right away, are capable enough to drive while carrying on a conver
sation.

oh yea I know but I said " any alcohol" because its been well established that even one drink impairs your ability to drive... so don't give Mr that legal limit junk because if it were up to me no alcohol would be allowed while driving. real talk.

Trip 06-28-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 387471)
f

oh yea I know but I said " any alcohol" because its been well established that even one drink impairs your ability to drive... so don't give Mr that legal limit junk because if it were up to me no alcohol would be allowed while driving. real talk.

I've never had a single or multiple drinks and drove and wish death upon those that do. Real talk.

Kaneman 06-28-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 387471)
f

If you're talking about the effects of a single beer (I never have more than 1 beer when I'm driving, personal limit) then you also have to include anyone who drives when they haven't had 8 hours of good restful sleep, who might be taking any type of prescription medication, diabetics, people with bad night vision.... You would have to include those who drive while feeling stress or with something pressing on their minds, you would have to include a myriad of unmeasurable events, attitudes, actions, pre-actions, post-actions, mid-actions and action-actions, that would include every single person who has ever used a car to get from point a to point b.

You use the word "impair" incorrectly as one beer for a 190lb man does not impair, or conclusively diminish his ability to drive, it only has a very small effect on his central nervous system which may or may not have an effect on his driving skillz. Yet, tests can not detect that driving UNDER the legal limit diminishes anyone's capacity to operate an automobile in a perfectly safe manner.

I would contend that we would all rather ride our motorcycles in traffic with people who have a tiny amount of alcohol in their system than we would with everyone talking on cell phones.

LeeNetworX 06-28-2010 10:21 AM

Start of thread<------------------------------------------>End of thread
iPhone 4 reception sucks-----------------------------------Drinking and driving

:lol
I love how we bastardize threads here.

Amber Lamps 06-28-2010 10:23 AM

for the record, you brought driving into this....i completely agree that people shouldn't drove under all of the conditions that you describe and door the most part I don't. by the way put smoking on that list, they're have been many accidents attributed to smoking.

Particle Man 06-28-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 387479)
Start of thread<------------------------------------------>End of thread
iPhone 4 reception sucks-----------------------------------Drinking and driving

:lol
I love how we bastardize threads here.

May as well cross post some beer then :lol:

http://prtclmn001.smugmug.com/Other/...34_6f49P-L.jpg

http://prtclmn001.smugmug.com/Other/...44_RPNRf-L.jpg

KSGregman 06-28-2010 10:24 AM

I came to this thread to point out that I used Trip's advice....and brow beat Verizon into letting me upgrade my phone prior to my upgrade date...I have a Droid X on the way. It looks sweet as hell.

Now for the drunk/distracted driving portion of this thread....I'm with Trip too. People who drive when they have been drinking can all die screaming.

Oh...Apple STILL sucks....you're holding it wrong...what a bunch of arrogant pricks.