Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Manufacturer War (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Motus Motorcycles (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=18240)

Gas Man 02-11-2011 08:32 PM

Motus Motorcycles

OMG American Yummy!

http://www.motusmotorcycles.com/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/motusmotorcycles

Dave 02-11-2011 09:05 PM

interesting. my eyebrows went up when they said v4...and rolled completely back when they said pushrod :lol:

one step at a time i suppose

Amber Lamps 02-11-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 449425)

I'll believe it when I see it...:idk:

Amber Lamps 02-11-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 449432)
interesting. my eyebrows went up when they said v4...and rolled completely back when they said pushrod :lol:

one step at a time i suppose

Well you see that makes it easy for at home garage mechanics to work on them... which will probably be often...:lol:

Dave 02-11-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 449438)
Well you see that makes it easy for at home garage mechanics to work on them... which will probably be often...:lol:

since when have pushrods EVER been simpler than regular old cam on bucket dohc/sohc? it doth not happen my friend

Amber Lamps 02-11-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 449442)
since when have pushrods EVER been simpler than regular old cam on bucket dohc/sohc? it doth not happen my friend

Hey I'm just repeating the adspeak in their video....:lol:

Dave 02-11-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 449444)
Hey I'm just repeating the adspeak in their video....:lol:

i think they are just trying to head off the typical "american" enthusiasts fear of change with a little bit of imagination towards custom possibilities.

id guarantee the decision was based on cost. much cheaper to machine one cam for an engine compared to 4-8

Half a small block. Neat.

derf 02-11-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 449437)

First thought in my mind too. I'll believe it when they have a finished product for sale, until then its an expensive pipe dream

goof2 02-11-2011 11:50 PM

Pairing pushrods (relatively low tech and cheap) with direct injection (relatively high tech and expensive) doesn't make much sense to me.:shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 449437)

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 449472)
First thought in my mind too. I'll believe it when they have a finished product for sale, until then its an expensive pipe dream

My thoughts as well. It is interesting but I'm skeptical it will actually happen and even if it does chances are it will be ridiculously priced.

derf 02-12-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 449478)
My thoughts as well. It is interesting but I'm skeptical it will actually happen and even if it does chances are it will be ridiculously priced.

Look at the success rate of US bike companies with great ideas for great products.

Victory (great bike, but a harley clone)
Indian, same as victory.
Confederate, built on the Vtwin platform
Buell, great bike driven into the ground by harley, truley squandered potential
Fischer, a decent bike nobody ever heard of
Roehr, the american version of Bimoto, also nobodys ever heard of it

I love the idea of owning a small boutique brand bike, but I don't think I will ever, just too many variables.

I seriously considered a buell instead of the KLR, but even that, the most successful non cruiser american bike company has failed us.

If they're smart, they'll license that engine design to others. That would even be great in a small car, an ATV, small inboard...

derf 02-12-2011 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 449485)
If they're smart, they'll license that engine design to others. That would even be great in a small car, an ATV, small inboard...

Now there is an idea, start small, and if you are a sucess, build a bussiness from there!

Gas Man 02-12-2011 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 449485)

It will be a great engine because what most of these guys here aren't understanding is the low end torque that you get from a push rod motor.

Either way I hope they pull it off and make it happen... WOW would it be amazing!

Kerry_129 02-12-2011 02:12 AM

Mechanically the push-rod style motor is less simple just because there are extra parts & geometry involved vs. over-head cam designs. P/R valvetrains have more parts/sub-parts (typically lifter, pushrod, rocker-arm & all the associated bits), and more parts = more mass & friction/deflection/hot-spots/wear-points = generally less rpm/surface-speed attainable than more efficient OHC designs. But the geometry of the blocks & heads (both casting & required machining - really factors-in when considering oil-passages, I think) & cam-drive mechanism, and adjustment of valve clearance are generally simpler & more easily accomplished (or automatic, with hydraulic lifters/lash-adjusters). As for making torque - p/r don't increase the torque a motor produces, they're just generally used in large-displacement relatively low-rpm motors which tend to have more & are tuned for bottom-end torque. All that said, p/r technology still does a hell of a job in many applications, has for decades and will for many more - it's just not as well-suited to very high-rpm operation & is *relatively* 'old-fashioned' technology. Some of the best things are though!

O/H cam & shim-under-bucket is about as mechanically simple & efficient (fewest parts, least reciprocating mass/energy wasted) as you can get, but the manufacturing tech & precision required is a LOT higher to produce the parts (block & heads, mostly). Can be a real PITA to deal with clearance adjustment also, of course - what with having to pull elaborate air-boxes/hosing & throttle-bodies & shit just to *start* removing the camshafts (and usually cam chain/tensioner) + having to measure/calculate/replace shims which MUST be meticulously & correctly done. Believe me, sometimes I've *wished* I could just slide a couple tubes up & be done with a couple wrench-twists, without having to take much if anything off to get to them! :lol:

dReWpY 02-12-2011 03:32 AM

http://www.youtube.com/user/motusmot.../0/X1V7CfB96Bk

Dave 02-12-2011 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 449478)
Pairing pushrods (relatively low tech and cheap) with direct injection (relatively high tech and expensive) doesn't make much sense to me.:shrug:

motocyz anyone? wanna bet it becomes electric prior to release? :lol:

Gas Man 02-12-2011 07:43 AM

Thanks kerry for a much better detailed post. It was more better. I heart pr and have had it on many motors both bike, car, truck, and tractor. I love em.

I luv this whole idea and concept. I wish them the best and hope to see this in a showroom. Hopefully they make good alliances.

They should start talking to erik being he's getting ready to bring a non-hd street buell back to the market.

Trip 02-12-2011 08:05 AM

Never going to do anything. I don't get my panties wet when I see Ehmurican on shit though.

Dey took our jubs!

nhgunnut 02-12-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 449483)

Victory (great bike, but a harley clone)

I don't own one anymore and Don't mean to quibble but the Victory Drive train is hardly a HD Clone.
Overhead Cams,, gear driven primary and cassette tranny. Make it Very Different than any of the V twin Pushrod bikes, better to compair it tot he Metric Cruisers.
That said I would love to see Motus put out a bike. Test Dynos are notoriously optimistic. Even so a Production V 4 with even 100 ft Lbs of torgue could make a Fun Power Cruiser.

Amber Lamps 02-12-2011 10:07 AM

Question for the engineers on here,

Isn't there a reason that you want the rotating mass to go the same way as the wheels?

Ie; = - = not = | = I know that Moto Guzzi runs theirs that way but don't they have to add counter-rotating mass to make it work? Won't this cause handling issues on a "sport" tourer?:idk:

Amber Lamps 02-12-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhgunnut (Post 449514)
I don't own one anymore and Don't mean to quibble but the Victory Drive train is hardly a HD Clone.
Overhead Cams,, gear driven primary and cassette tranny. Make it Very Different than any of the V twin Pushrod bikes, better to compair it tot he Metric Cruisers.
That said I would love to see Motus put out a bike. Test Dynos are notoriously optimistic. Even so a Production V 4 with even 100 ft Lbs of torgue could make a Fun Power Cruiser.

Sure, but they want to make "sport" bikes....:idk:

goof2 02-12-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 449492)
It will be a great engine because what most of these guys here aren't understanding is the low end torque that you get from a push rod motor.

Either way I hope they pull it off and make it happen... WOW would it be amazing!

An engine's valvetrain does effect low end torque through their size and timing, but their method of actuation is irrelevant. Pushrod engines are typically designed to produce low end torque only because a normal pushrod engine's valvetrain cannot hold up to high RPM. An overhead cam engine could easily be designed to make that same low end torque, but without the RPM restrictions there isn't any reason to do so. A Hayabusa engine generates almost as much torque as this engine and makes significantly more horsepower with less displacement. The new ZX-10R engine also generates almost as much torque and more horsepower with even less displacement than the Hayabusa. Motus is leaving power on the table by going the pushrod route.:shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 449498)
motocyz anyone? wanna bet it becomes electric prior to release? :lol:

That seems to be the trend. Whichever magazine had the all electric issue recently was littered with companies following that business plan.

1) Develop a gasoline powered motorcycle.
2) Try to take deposits on it.
3) Realize deposits aren't rolling in for a Desmosedici priced piece of vaporware no one has heard of.
4) Make a shitty electric version.
5) ???????????????
6) Profit!

goof2 02-12-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 449518)
Isn't there a reason that you want the rotating mass to go the same way as the wheels?

Ie; = - = not = | = I know that Moto Guzzi runs theirs that way but don't they have to add counter-rotating mass to make it work? Won't this cause handling issues on a "sport" tourer?:idk:

The engine will try to twist the bike over to the side when the crankshaft is accelerating. I've heard Guzzis aren't great about it, but at the same time I haven't heard many complaints about BMW's boxer engined bikes which should do the same thing.

Amber Lamps 02-12-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 449531)
The engine will try to twist the bike over to the side when the crankshaft is accelerating. I've heard Guzzis aren't great about it, but at the same time I haven't heard many complaints about BMW's boxer engined bikes which should do the same thing.

Is it because the boxer engine is "flat", directly opposing?...or do they have "counter-rotating shafts" to balance this out? Oh and that was my point basically, I'm am NOT an engineer by any means but I can see the engine in my Mustang jump to one side when it is revved up, no thanks to that on a bike, especially if the engine is going to be a stressed member of the chassis/suspension. Again. not an engineer but do I have it wrong somehow?:idk:

JoshuaTree 02-12-2011 12:59 PM

I'm their target market. ;) If its what it claims to be, I'd consider it. The F800ST is a little anemic, the VFR has never done anything for me, and the other tourer choices are two wheeled cars. :/

If its a solid bike, WITH ABS, I'll definitely consider it. ;)
(As in what idiots would even contemplate building a "sport tourer" without ABS currently?)

JoshuaTree 02-12-2011 01:03 PM

RE: 90 Degree opposition crankshafts...

Yes, they do twist / lift the bike's chassis a bit. It varies by design. Having had both Boxer and K-Brick engined bikes (both having crankshafts rotating perpendicular to the rotation of the wheels), neither design is "startling" in this respect, even with violent applications of clutch & throttle. Yes, its there. Will you notice it after more than 30 minutes riding the bike? No. ;)

Dave 02-12-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 449529)
An engine's valvetrain does effect low end torque through their size and timing, but their method of actuation is irrelevant. Pushrod engines are typically designed to produce low end torque only because a normal pushrod engine's valvetrain cannot hold up to high RPM. An overhead cam engine could easily be designed to make that same low end torque, but without the RPM restrictions there isn't any reason to do so. A Hayabusa engine generates almost as much torque as this engine and makes significantly more horsepower with less displacement. The new ZX-10R engine also generates almost as much torque and more horsepower with even less displacement than the Hayabusa. Motus is leaving power on the table by going the pushrod route.:shrug:

That seems to be the trend. Whichever magazine had the all electric issue recently was littered with companies following that business plan.

1) Develop a gasoline powered motorcycle.
2) Try to take deposits on it.
3) Realize deposits aren't rolling in for a Desmosedici priced piece of vaporware no one has heard of.
4) Make a shitty electric version.
5) ???????????????
6) Profit!

bingo. like i said before it was likely done for cost reasons if not the retarded philosophy that pushrods are 'murican

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 449531)

dont forget drivetrain losses. did you see the way the tranny is laid out? theres gonna be a bigass diff in there somewhere chewing up the power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaTree (Post 449553)
I'm their target market. ;) If its what it claims to be, I'd consider it. The F800ST is a little anemic, the VFR has never done anything for me, and the other tourer choices are two wheeled cars. :/

If its a solid bike, WITH ABS, I'll definitely consider it. ;)
(As in what idiots would even contemplate building a "sport tourer" without ABS currently?)

hey remember me?
http://static.blogo.it/motoblog/kawa...sx_2011_08.jpg

Kerry_129 02-12-2011 02:45 PM

I'd speculate their decision to go with pushrod design was based on 1) cost/complexity of casting/machining, 2) Overall simpler (considering no ohc drive) & more compact motor, especially with the heads hanging out either side of the bike, ala MotoGuzzi. The heads have to be considerably taller with OHC, especially with a relatively small budget which wouldn't allow for repeated prototyping & material minimization. Way easier, esp. in a V-design, to just stick a cam in the valley right over the crank & with a simple chain or gear drive. Works just fine to, as long as you're not trying to spin it way up. Maybe a distant 3) it's 'murican.

The counter-torque is just nature of the beast & a reaction to the inertia of the crank/flywheel spinning-up. I've felt it on a boxer, and though noticable it wasn't a big deal. That's a V4 mounted relatively high vs. the very low-slung BMW design - and did you see the size of the flywheel in the video?! I bet it has a good bit of counter-torque, but that might just add to its character. Wouldn't be a big handling factor so long as you're changing rpm drastically in a curve - also side-ways V design would lessen the gyroscopic resistance to side-to-side transitions too, vs. typical transverse crank mounting.

All technical BS aside - it does look pretty bad-ass, producing their own engine in-house is impressive, and kudos to them for doing *something* to produce a sporting American motorcycle. I hope they do well & we see good things come of their efforts! :rockwoot:

dReWpY 02-12-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaTree (Post 449554)
RE: 90 Degree opposition crankshafts...

Yes, they do twist / lift the bike's chassis a bit. It varies by design. Having had both Boxer and K-Brick engined bikes (both having crankshafts rotating perpendicular to the rotation of the wheels), neither design is "startling" in this respect, even with violent applications of clutch & throttle. Yes, its there. Will you notice it after more than 30 minutes riding the bike? No. ;)

and its not like this bike is being touted as a track weapon where your angled over and at 99% of usable traction is gone already...

i mean we can armchair race a new engine, but if its not ment to be racing arent we just spinning our wheels??? right tig? lol:lol

Is it likely to be a highly refined deal? No. It's half a fucking small block, kids.

It's a muscle car motor, cut in half to be a muscle bike motor.

It should be entirely and uniquely American in its personality, and I dare say; goddammit I like it.

Amber Lamps 02-12-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 449594)
and its not like this bike is being touted as a track weapon where your angled over and at 99% of usable traction is gone already...

i mean we can armchair race a new engine, but if its not ment to be racing arent we just spinning our wheels??? right tig? lol:lol

Adspeak, "We are building a sport-touring bike with the emphasis on SPORT".:idk:

Dave 02-12-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 449595)
Is it likely to be a highly refined deal? No. It's half a fucking small block, kids.

It should be entirely and uniquely American in its personality, and I dare say; goddammit I like it.

Just the same, I doubt it will be any faster when finished than an og vmax

Rangerscott 02-13-2011 02:34 AM

Ha. I was watching vids on this just a few minutes ago. I want to see the finish product.

Sounds mean as hell.

goof2 02-13-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 449595)

I don't care that they have chosen to go with pushrods. Lots of bikes are sold everyday with pushrod valvetrains. What I don't get is why Motus is going through the hassle and expense of gasoline direct injection for an engine that is not "high tech". As you said, this engine will not be highly refined so why are they screwing around with highly refined injection?

No Worries 02-13-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 449724)
I don't care that they have chosen to go with pushrods. Lots of bikes are sold everyday with pushrod valvetrains. What I don't get is why Motus is going through the hassle and expense of gasoline direct injection for an engine that is not "high tech". As you said, this engine will not be highly refined so why are they screwing around with highly refined injection?

Emissions. EPA runs the show. If you want simple, fast and light, two-strokes are the way to go. I rode two-stroke streetbikes from 1971 to 1979. Easy kick-start, oil injection, and no worries about high compression, valves, cam chains and cam chain adjusters. If they only had electronic ignition and fuel injection back then, they might still be around.

Dave 02-13-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 449730)
Emissions. EPA runs the show. If you want simple, fast and light, two-strokes are the way to go. I rode two-stroke streetbikes from 1971 to 1979. Easy kick-start, oil injection, and no worries about high compression, valves, cam chains and cam chain adjusters. If they only had electronic ignition and fuel injection back then, they might still be around.

im eagerly anticipating someone tossing together a dfi 2 stroke.

goof2 02-13-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 449730)

That would explain regular fuel injection. Direct injection adds a whole other level of complexity that isn't necessary for emissions compliance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 449748)
im eagerly anticipating someone tossing together a dfi 2 stroke.

I'd also like to see it. Its too bad Bimota bankrupted their company attempting to build one. I think that is serving as a cautionary tale for other manufacturers.

Quote:

Probably because computer controlled engine management is the order of the day, and would keep them still relatively competitive. Me? I like the simple joys of carburetors, but it's 2011...I understand the choice.

Kerry_129 02-13-2011 05:34 PM

I don't think the use of a p/r valvetrain somehow renders pointless any refinement & new-tech wizardry in the other sub-systems. It probably made more sense for them to concentrate their R&D efforts in other areas which would net them more in reaching their performance goals, given the displacement & operating range of the motor.

I think most innovations in vehicles (and machinery in general) have come about where one unique design element stands out, proves its worth, and is refined into a new 'norm' although the other elements are the same-old-same-old.

And plus-eleventy-one on how cool it would be for DFI 2-(no)smoke motors to be developed! IIRC from the little bit I read about them years ago, their at-speed emissions were good with DFI, but the at-idle requirements killed them & gives a decided advantage to 4-strokes meeting regs.

Rangerscott 02-13-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Gotta have something hightech on it so they can put a premium price on the bike. Would you buy it if they stuck with carbs?

derf 02-13-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 449834)
Would you buy it if they stuck with carbs?

Yes, never owned an FI bike, why should I start now?

OneSickPsycho 02-13-2011 09:53 PM

Pretty standard I guess, buncha armchair engineers and Monday morning MotoGP stars. I could give two shits and a fuck about trivial shit like how someone else decides to build their bikes... Does it work? Is it fun? Does it do what I want it to do and look how I want it to look? Yes? Then it's good. All the other shit is just chest pounding and circle jerking...

Amber Lamps 02-13-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 449872)
Pretty standard I guess, buncha armchair engineers and Monday morning MotoGP stars. I could give two shits and a fuck about trivial shit like how someone else decides to build their bikes... Does it work? Is it fun? Does it do what I want it to do and look how I want it to look? Yes? Then it's good. All the other shit is just chest pounding and circle jerking...

Well, what else is there?:lol:

Fine, from now on...

Op; Look here's a new bike from XYZ company.

Reply; Cool!

R2; Nice!

R3; Ditto!

R4; Sweet!

R5; This!

/thread
:lol:

goof2 02-13-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Gotta have something hightech on it so they can put a premium price on the bike. Would you buy it if they stuck with carbs?

You do realize that direct injection is different from typical fuel injection? Carbs are not the only other option and regular fuel injection would make more sense to me. Either way, I'm not too enamored with what I've seen so far. Factor in the likely price range and the induction system will be irrelevant.

OneSickPsycho 02-13-2011 11:03 PM

It's just tiresome... God forbid a manufacturer try to do something other than push performance to the limit... The Diaval thread is just as retarded... Guys bitching about and shitting all over a bike that NOBODY has ridden. I mean, isn't that what its all about? This thread is just like the Diaval thread. What'd all these geniuses say when that bike was tested by the moto rags and handling was heralded as being quite good? Not a damn thing. I guess what they say is true, people are afraid of something different. I get just as annoyed when guys sit around and talk about how many broads they've banged, how fast they are, how many beers they can drink... :idk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 449874)
Well, what else is there?:lol:

Fine, from now on...

Op; Look here's a new bike from XYZ company.

Reply; Cool!

R2; Nice!

R3; Ditto!

R4; Sweet!

R5; This!

/thread

derf 02-13-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 449886)
It's just tiresome... God forbid a manufacturer try to do something other than push performance to the limit... The Diaval thread is just as retarded... Guys bitching about and shitting all over a bike that NOBODY has ridden. I mean, isn't that what its all about? This thread is just like the Diaval thread. What'd all these geniuses say when that bike was tested by the moto rags and handling was heralded as being quite good? Not a damn thing. I guess what they say is true, people are afraid of something different. I get just as annoyed when guys sit around and talk about how many broads they've banged, how fast they are, how many beers they can drink... :idk:

Yeh but this is the internet we are supposed to talk shit about stuff anonymously without reprocussion

OneSickPsycho 02-13-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 449887)
Yeh but this is the internet we are supposed to talk shit about stuff anonymously without reprocussion

Well in that case.... I once drank almost 70 beers in a 36 hour period, I'm faster than most squids, and I never had sex before I met ONSSP.

2/3 of that is true... :lol:

Kerry_129 02-13-2011 11:20 PM

OSP, I think there's a difference between discussing shit, and declaring something to BE shit based on xyz characteristic. I hear ya though, and it's kinda like when it always makes me :rolleyes: when a new bike hits the net/rags & 90% of what you hear is "OMFG look at that hideous exhaust". :lol:

At the end of the day, how a street-bike "works" boils down to whether it stirs the soul & puts a smile on the face of the rider, not whether it looks good on a spec. sheet.

derf 02-13-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 449892)
Well in that case.... I once drank almost 70 beers in a 36 hour period, I'm faster than most squids, and I never had sex before I met ONSSP.

I'm a pussy: I get drunk off a 6 pack, I', slower than most squids, and I never had sex with with ONSSP

1/3 of those is true

Rangerscott 02-14-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 449836)
Yes, never owned an FI bike, why should I start now?

They're not going to put all that money into the bike and carb it. Plus aren't carbs are a no no now on new production bikes?

derf 02-14-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 449904)
They're not going to put all that money into the bike and carb it. Plus aren't carbs are a no no now on new production bikes?

Nope, I can think of a few bikes that are still made with carbs.

Rangerscott 02-14-2011 01:04 AM

Shit. Forgot Hyosung and ninja 250.

Dave 02-14-2011 05:54 AM

Quote:

Nah Nah bro, you can say you had sex...its just that you'd never made love until you met onssp
;)

Semi related: the android autocorrect for onssp is inseparable :lol

Amber Lamps 02-14-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry_129 (Post 449894)
OSP, I think there's a difference between discussing shit, and declaring something to BE shit based on xyz characteristic. I hear ya though, and it's kinda like when it always makes me :rolleyes: when a new bike hits the net/rags & 90% of what you hear is "OMFG look at that hideous exhaust". :lol:

At the end of the day, how a street-bike "works" boils down to whether it stirs the soul & puts a smile on the face of the rider, not whether it looks good on a spec. sheet.

I just don't see what's wrong with asking questions or having an opinion?:idk:

Rangerscott 02-14-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 449915)
I just don't see what's wrong with asking questions or having an opinion?:idk:

Fuck yo coaach tigger.

OneNotSoSickPsycho 02-14-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

The one that's not true is that he's faster than most. He totally never had sex before he met me :lol: :?:

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 449897)
I'm a pussy: I get drunk off a 6 pack, I', slower than most squids, and I never had sex with with ONSSP

1/3 of those is true

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 449910)
Nah Nah bro, you can say you had sex...its just that you'd never made love until you met onssp
;)

Semi related: the android autocorrect for onssp is inseparable :lol

Aww! haha! Cute!

dReWpY 02-15-2011 09:56 PM

I am the slowest person on the board, Im dating a bathing suite model, and trip is truly gay

3/3 are true

goof2 02-15-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 450319)
I am the slowest person on the board, Im dating a bathing suite model, and trip is truly gay

3/3 are true

Fuck your lying ass. I'm definitely slower.:lol:

Dave 02-16-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

3/3 are true

you also cant spell

Sixxxxer 02-16-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

3/3 are true

Amorok is totally slower than you. :lol

Gas Man 03-15-2011 10:02 PM

Motus Motorcycles Unveils The MST Series American Tourer Bike

From Cyril's Blog

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/wp-cont...ds/motus11.jpg
http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/wp-cont...ds/motus21.jpg
http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/wp-cont...ads/motus4.jpg

See more pics in above link.

Quote:

A new American motorcycle company designing a modern tourer bike is an event worth all your attention. Even more when this company invested 3 years or research and development to equip its model with a brand new engine, the first tgasoline direct injected V4 engine. With its new model in 2 version (MST & Premium MST-R), Motus is entering an existing market segment of comfortable sport bikes designed for high performance touring but with a uniquely American engine. Designed by Motus, engine was built by Pratt & Miller Engineering in New Hudson, Michigan, one of the world’s most sophisticated engineering firms. The Motus MST’s were revealed last Thursday March 10th in Daytona during the Progressive International Motorcycle Show. I was present, had the opportunity to climb on it, heard it run but didn’t have yet the opportunity to ride it. So, here what I was told.

Brian Case, Vice President and Design Director. “When we started designing the ultimate, modern American street bike, we realized quickly that we needed a purpose built engine. We didn’t focus on maximum horsepower; we focused on heightening the rider experience at all speeds. To us, that means a lot of torque over a wide RPM range, low vibes, high efficiency and bulletproof durability. Enter the KMV4, a liquid cooled, 1650cc V4 with gasoline direct injection. We hope the MST series will appeal to several kinds of riders. Some sport bike riders are looking for more comfort without sacrificing performance. Some cruiser riders want better performance and would love to find an American alternative”

Lee Conn, President. “We didn’t set out to make a sport tourer, initially. It wasn’t until after the dust settled from brainstorming about our ultimate dreambike that we realized the concept had all the ingredients of what is generally known as a sport tourer. Then, we polled hundreds of riders to determine the optimal feature set for things like fuel capacity targets, number of electrical outlets, suspension preferences, etc. That process helped us get to know the target customers a lot better.”- Lee Conn

Regarding the engine, gasoline direct injection is a proven technology where fuel is digitally atomized at extremely high pressures and injected directly into the combustion chamber, as opposed to conventional port fuel injection where fuel is applied in the intake ports. Through the use of highly advanced engine management systems, fuel delivery can be precisely optimized for increased power with better fuel economy and reduced emissions. The highly atomized fuel also cools the air-fuel mixture, allowing increased compression for better power and efficiency. Direct injected engines can increase power and torque by up to 10%, while reducing emissions as much as 25% during cold starts when most harmful exhaust emissions are typically created.

Production- development of the MST is ongoing and an initial production date will be set after durability testing, likely as a 2012 model. Motus motorcycles will be distributed and serviced through high quality dealerships. No definitive price is announced but I was told that the MST and the Premium MST-R should be offered at a price affordable to a wide range of bikers.

Particle Man 03-16-2011 04:28 AM

Looks like a KTM mixed with a Honda and a Kawasaki

I can't say I don't like it...

Gas Man 03-16-2011 07:28 AM

How about a naked version featured in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UxLXjjGH4U

OneSickPsycho 03-16-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 457133)
How about a naked version featured in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UxLXjjGH4U

No side view? WTF... sounds good though...

pauldun170 03-16-2011 03:56 PM

direct Injected V4?
tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick varooooooooooooooooooooooooom tick tick tick tick tick tick tick ticktick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick
varooomm varooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmtick tick tick tick tick tick tick ticktick tick tick tick tick tick tick ticktick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick.

derf 04-26-2011 11:23 PM

Motus on the track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhaRd...embedded#at=49

Homeslice 04-27-2011 01:31 AM

Quote:

Put 51K miles on an SV with carbs, never had an issue with them.

I've honestly had more problems with FI systems. Tons of stumbling and jerking unless you get it dyno tuned.

As for a sport tourer, Triumph ST for me please.

OneSickPsycho 04-27-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 466289)

I'll take mine naked please.

Gas Man 04-28-2011 11:51 PM

Sounds GREAT!!!

OneSickPsycho 05-13-2011 03:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kooYoibfeA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1V7C...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFDHBlAWEA8

Really finding it hard not to fall in love with these bikes...

Dave 05-13-2011 05:22 PM

I'd rather it was a crankthrottle rotary

derf 05-13-2011 05:31 PM

Sounds good, and for the companies first bike it looks pretty awesome.

The motus company actually reminds me of buell stuff back in the early 90s.

Gas Man 05-13-2011 10:43 PM

I so want one!!!

Rangerscott 05-16-2011 11:22 PM

Sad that the price tag will be out of range.

Papa_Complex 05-17-2011 08:31 AM

The sound of the thing, in the videos of it roaring around Barber, is incredible.

Rangerscott 05-18-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 470296)
The sound of the thing, in the videos of it roaring around Barber, is incredible.

I foresee a more restricted exhaust in the future before sales release.

Papa_Complex 05-18-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 470793)
I foresee a more restricted exhaust in the future before sales release.

That would be a damn shame.

OneSickPsycho 05-18-2011 07:57 PM

And I foresee some KILLER aftermarket options...