Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   thinking about another bike (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=21104)

jtemple 03-19-2012 08:35 AM

thinking about another bike

I have the Husky (TE630) and I love it to death. I'm a bit concerned about logging too many miles on it. By some crazy miracle, my wife has told me that I can get a second bike. I can think of 1000 reasons not to do it, and only 2 reasons to do it. Why do it? Because bikes are awesome. Because I wouldn't beat the Husky down putting 5000 street miles on it. I'd ride the Husky when the day was going to take me off road; that's it.

Here are some practical reasons (other than money) not to get another bike.

Parking. I have a 2 car garage. My car would be kicked out to the driveway. I would likely put one bike in storage over the winter, so I can park my car in the garage, rather than scraping frost off of my windows every morning.

Maintenance. Fewer miles on either bike than if I only owned one. But, now I have two bikes to work on, winterize, etc.

Mods. I have modded the piss out of the Husky. It is the most modded bike I have ever owned. Exhaust, opened up airbox, JD Jetting tuner (think PowerCommander).

Equipment. For one, I'd have to buy repair stands for the new bike. Right now, I just have a Craftsman ATV jack. It works great for a dirtbike with a skidplate. A streetbike, not so much. I sold my Pitbull stands when I sold my ZX-10R. I also sold my throttle body sync tool.

To make matters worse, there are only two street bikes that really excite me right now. Both of them are Ducatis. Hypermotard and Monster.

I do not want another sportbike. I want to sit upright. I know there are other viable options. CB1000R, ZX1000, Speed Triple, to name a few. But, the more I think about it, the more none of those other bikes turns me on.

I want a twin. Too bad Buell isn't still around, because a Lightning would be pretty cool.

The added maintenance I can deal with. However, I was looking through the Monster owner's manual, and Ducatis have a service indicator that flips on when the bike is due for maintenance. The indicator can only be turned off by a dealer. Or, you can buy the $300 software & cables it takes to do it yourself (I actually have a similar setup for my Husky).

Will doing it myself void my warranty? I don't know. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer on that one.

I'm leaning toward a new bike. I have had some shitty experiences buying used and that really makes me feel uncomfortable.

Thinking about all the cons of multiple bike ownership makes me want to just ride my Husky and worry about it when the engine gives up.

Any multi-bike owners or Ducati owners want to chime in?

jtemple 03-19-2012 08:37 AM

From the Ducati website

Quote:

To maintain the validity of the warranty, three services must be carried out at 1000 km (or six months), 12,000 km (or 12 months) and 24,000 km (or 24 months) by any official Ducati dealer. Warranty will be not honoured for motorcycles repaired by unofficial Dealer networks, for improper use, for bikes with non-genuine parts, for damages incurred from accidents, overloads, negligent use, or improper maintenance. Further details are detailed in the Warranty/pre-delivery booklet, attached to every new motorcycle.
Ok, so I get raked over the coals for 3 maintenance checks. I might be able to deal with that.

Trip 03-19-2012 08:40 AM

I love owning multiple bikes, I am restricted to 3 by my wife. If I wasn't restricted, I would have a whole pile of em.

You may want to check out something like a SV650 naked. Great bike. Have to go used though.

Vstrom/Versys, anything like that would be a great mile eater and low maintenance twin.

derf 03-19-2012 09:15 AM

Yep multiple bikes is fun, it gives options that one bike could never give you

azoomm 03-19-2012 09:34 AM

The only sure way to have a Ducati running at all times is to own a few of them at a time.

jtemple 03-19-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 508504)
I love owning multiple bikes, I am restricted to 3 by my wife. If I wasn't restricted, I would have a whole pile of em.

You may want to check out something like a SV650 naked. Great bike. Have to go used though.

Vstrom/Versys, anything like that would be a great mile eater and low maintenance twin.

I know all those other options make good sense, but they don't get me excited about owning another bike, except maybe the SV650. I wouldn't mind having another one of those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 508514)
The only sure way to have a Ducati running at all times is to own a few of them at a time.

I've heard that Ducati has come a long way in terms of lowering maintenance intervals and increasing reliability. Have you heard/experienced otherwise?

At least if it's down for work/fixing, I'll have another bike to ride.

Trip 03-19-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508523)
I know all those other options make good sense, but they don't get me excited about owning another bike, except maybe the SV650. I wouldn't mind having another one of those.

The problem with a lot of bikes that get you excited, is they are very limited and you will quickly want to turn around and sell them. This is where a lot of multiple bike owners fall. They buy and sell very often, constantly searching for something to excite them. Most people like this don't buy new. It's much more cost effective to turn around and sell used bikes.

As far as monsters, I have always heard from owners that they are a much better bike to just stand around and look at. I came close to buying one, but was talked out of it.

jtemple 03-19-2012 01:04 PM

What about the Japanese big standards?

CB1000R

ZX1000

Just as reliable as their sportbike counterparts, I'd imagine. Same wrenching as well.

I have never owned a Honda, but I like the looks of the CB more than the ZX. The ZX has a bunch of bodywork hanging off of it that I don't care for.

Cutty72 03-19-2012 01:14 PM

I enjoy having multiple bikes, always a back up if one is down. Granted both mine are sportbikes (Buell and SV) and the SV is technically the wife's, but still.
Now moving out to a farm area, I'm seriously looking at something more dirt orientated, to better handle the gravel roads. Just have to see how the old budget works out.

azoomm 03-19-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 508524)
The problem with a lot of bikes that get you excited, is they are very limited and you will quickly want to turn around and sell them. This is where a lot of multiple bike owners fall. They buy and sell very often, constantly searching for something to excite them. Most people like this don't buy new. It's much more cost effective to turn around and sell used bikes.

As far as monsters, I have always heard from owners that they are a much better bike to just stand around and look at. I came close to buying one, but was talked out of it.

My favorite monster is my 93. But, that's because of everything I've put into it.

The current Duc I have the most experience with is the Hyper. It is still going to need someone to do those valves... But, she's been behaving in the mechanical department. All I've dealt with is random recalls and a class action lawsuit for the plastic tank they say will expand because of ethanol in our fuel.

Porkchop 03-19-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 508514)

:lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 508524)

That makes me sad. I want a Monster 796 as the next bike I buy after the one im thinking about getting here soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508526)
What about the Japanese big standards?

CB1000R

ZX1000

Just as reliable as their sportbike counterparts, I'd imagine. Same wrenching as well.

I have never owned a Honda, but I like the looks of the CB more than the ZX. The ZX has a bunch of bodywork hanging off of it that I don't care for.

Are you talking about the faired Ninja 1000 or the naked Z1000??? The Z1000 is the ultimate torque hooligan wheelie bike. As far as the honda goes I've heard nothing but good things, and of course honda quality and reliability... I like the looks of the Kawi better, but both look good.

jtemple 03-19-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkchop (Post 508533)

That makes me sad. I want a Monster 796 as the next bike I buy after the one im thinking about getting here soon.

Are you talking about the faired Ninja 1000 or the naked Z1000??? The Z1000 is the ultimate torque hooligan wheelie bike. As far as the honda goes I've heard nothing but good things, and of course honda quality and reliability... I like the looks of the Kawi better, but both look good.

The naked Z1000 is what I was talking about. But, I don't like all the plastic they have hanging on it, though.

What about the Speed Triple?

Aside from the Hyper/Monster, these three are my favorites:

Honda CB1000R
Triumph Speed Triple
Kawasaki Z1000

I want a naked bike that sits me upright. I love the riding position of my Husky, which is why I looked toward the Hypermotard.

Porkchop 03-19-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508539)
The naked Z1000 is what I was talking about. But, I don't like all the plastic they have hanging on it, though.

Honda CB1000R
Triumph Speed Triple
Kawasaki Z1000

I want a naked bike that sits me upright. I love the riding position of my Husky, which is why I looked toward the Hypermotard.

I thought zoomie said she liked the Speed Triple in one of my threads. I haven't looked back at it yet.

The hyper is so much like your Husky, don't you want something a little different? If you are going Duc, how about the Multistrada? Good all-rounder... upright too.

tommymac 03-19-2012 03:24 PM

any thought on the yamaha FZ1/6

Porkchop 03-19-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508545)
any thought on the yamaha FZ1/6

Most rags have the Fz1 down on power, power isnt as accessible, and lacking in suspension to the Z/Ninja...

Still a good option though.

Cutty72 03-19-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkchop (Post 508547)
Most rags have the Fz1 down on power, power isnt as accessible, and lacking in suspension to the Z/Ninja...

Still a good option though.

This. Buddy has a FZ1 and it has good power... at 7k, dead below that.

I really liked the Speed tripple, if I wanted something more hooligan/around town it would be on my short list. Long highway rides, I like more wind protection, but otherwise the ergos are great and it's ridicously fun to ride.

azoomm 03-19-2012 04:13 PM

I would vote hyper over monster. And, speed triple is a good choice in my book.

JARVIS518 03-19-2012 07:12 PM

plus 1 on the triple, nice, fun bike and looks damn good too

jtemple 03-19-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 508553)
I would vote hyper over monster. And, speed triple is a good choice in my book.

I like the hyper over the monster as well. The only issue is that it's $3000 more. The regular hyper 1100 isn't available in the US, only the SP. When you talk shot monthly payments, it's not much more per month, though.

azoomm 03-19-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508561)
I like the hyper over the monster as well. The only issue is that it's $3000 more. The regular hyper 1100 isn't available in the US, only the SP. When you talk shot monthly payments, it's not much more per month, though.

What do you mean, not available? We had a helluva time finding an SPS... for the price, and what you get, I'd go SPS

jtemple 03-19-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 508562)
What do you mean, not available? We had a helluva time finding an SPS... for the price, and what you get, I'd go SPS

I thought I read somewhere online, and the dealer confirmed it. They have an 1100 EVO SP, but there is no 1100 EVO in the US. I suppose they could be yanking my chain, but the local Ducati dealer is known for being a straight shooter.

Quoting their sales manager's email:

Quote:

The 1100 Evo is no longer available for 2012, only the 796
and the 1100 Evo SP Corse are available.

No Worries 03-20-2012 12:45 AM

If I had your Husky and lived where you do, this is what I would buy: BMW K1200S with the ESA: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/2869123480.html. I test rode one and liked it way more than BMW's 1000RR. Big, fast, sporty, and comfortable.

azoomm 03-20-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508565)
I thought I read somewhere online, and the dealer confirmed it. They have an 1100 EVO SP, but there is no 1100 EVO in the US. I suppose they could be yanking my chain, but the local Ducati dealer is known for being a straight shooter.

Sorry, I have a 2011. I haven't gotten deep into the 2012 product line.

The k13s is a brilliant motorcycle. Too bad it's HUGE.

jtemple 03-20-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 508584)
If I had your Husky and lived where you do, this is what I would buy: BMW K1200S with the ESA: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/2869123480.html. I test rode one and liked it way more than BMW's 1000RR. Big, fast, sporty, and comfortable.

Sweet looking bike. Not my style, though.

If reasonable heads prevail, I'm leaning toward a Honda CB1000R.

The Monster is sex, and I'd love to have another v-twin. But, I've read too many horror stories.

I'm sure I could just ride the f**k out of the Honda and not have any worries.

tallywacker 03-20-2012 09:00 AM

I'm loving my hypermotard, it has been a fun experience so far.

tallywacker 03-20-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508565)

There might be a new one in stock still somewhere else from the previous year.

tallywacker 03-20-2012 09:03 AM

My dealer also has two desmosedici's in the back, I hear they are good bikes:tremble:

OneSickPsycho 03-20-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallywacker (Post 508596)
My dealer also has two desmosedici's in the back, I hear they are good bikes:tremble:

Saw one when I was cruising into Daytona on Saturday... SICK bikes... sounded AMAZING!!!

tommymac 03-20-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Saw a couple at NJMP a few yrs ago, brave soul to rail that thing on the track knowing it wont be cheap if you wad it up.

Great sound bike though, made my day when i passed one too ;lol:

RACER X 03-20-2012 09:50 AM

local aprilia dealer who really wanted to be the ducati dealer has a desmo on the floor, seen a few at the local duc dealer.

yes awesome sounding machines!

jtemple 03-20-2012 10:58 AM

I'm starting to get my wits about me and think if I do get a second bike, it should just be one that I can ride like crazy and not worry about. The CB1000R, while not as inspiring as a Ducati, should give me years of trouble-free riding, and let me save the Husky for those rides where I'll be leaving the pavement.

tommymac 03-20-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508610)
I'm starting to get my wits about me and think if I do get a second bike, it should just be one that I can ride like crazy and not worry about. The CB1000R, while not as inspiring as a Ducati, should give me years of trouble-free riding, and let me save the Husky for those rides where I'll be leaving the pavement.

Sounds like you made your decision.

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508610)

Bout time you Man'ed Up. Is owning two bikes even a legitimate question for a guy to ask? :lol

azoomm 03-20-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508618)
Bout time you Man'ed Up. Is owning two bikes even a legitimate question for a guy to ask? :lol

I'm telling you, the answer to the question "how many is enough?" is...

just one more.

:wink:

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 02:35 PM

Preach It!!

jtemple 03-20-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508612)
Sounds like you made your decision.

Yeah, I think so. The more I look at it, the more I like that bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508618)

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 508638)
I'm telling you, the answer to the question "how many is enough?" is...

just one more.

:wink:

I know, right?

I think what finally convinced her was this:

"Look, we have the money. If I bought a bike and kept it somewhere without you knowing about it, you wouldn't even know the money was gone."

The only real headache is going to be parking. 2 cars and 2 bikes is going to be a tight squeeze in a 2 car garage.

tommymac 03-20-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508691)

I know, right?

"Look, we have the money. If I bought a bike and kept it somewhere without you knowing about it, you wouldn't even know the money was gone."

The only real headache is going to be parking. 2 cars and 2 bikes is going to be a tight squeeze in a 2 car garage.

you put cars in the garage :lol:

Cutty72 03-20-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Build a bigger garage.

I just sketched out my house and garage. After downsizing for financial reasons, the garage is only 300 sq ft larger than the house. :lol:

jtemple 03-20-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 508699)
Build a bigger garage.

I just sketched out my house and garage. After downsizing for financial reasons, the garage is only 300 sq ft larger than the house. :lol:

Nice!

Just looked closer at my finances. Looks like it'll be a better idea to put the bike off until next year.

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

I know, right?

I dont know how your House lot is laid out...But could you possibly buy one of those little sheds from like lowes or home depot and keep the husky in there??

This is 10x14 for 500 Bucks...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ec...&storeId=10051

jtemple 03-20-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 508708)
I dont know how your House lot is laid out...But could you possibly buy one of those little sheds from like lowes or home depot and keep the husky in there??

This is 10x14 for 500 Bucks...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ec...&storeId=10051

Wife shot down the shed years ago. She says it's tacky.

Sixxxxer 03-20-2012 09:55 PM

Lmao...Well the one I posted isnt the worlds best shed. My dad built is own with wood and it looked really nice when he was done. Plus if it's big enough you could keep all things motorcycle in there an keep the garage free of it!

Wifey wins though...:lol

derf 03-20-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508692)

He was serious? Why would a car go in a garage?

tommymac 03-20-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 508712)

I dont know, I am still trying to wrap my head around that concept :lol:

Porkchop 03-20-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 508584)

I heard those have a missle of an engine for that segment of bike....

I'd rather have the VFR1200 though.

Quote:

Want bad. :drool: Hopefully in 10 years they will be reasonably priced... :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508707)
Nice!

Just looked closer at my finances. Looks like it'll be a better idea to put the bike off until next year.

Boo, lame. You know you can do it.... you know you WANT to do it too!!! :td::tt:

azoomm 03-21-2012 01:34 AM

You boys are rookies. I have three garages. :nee:

The GS is clean because once I clean hard parts, there isn't much more to clean :lol:

jtemple 03-21-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508692)

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508713)
I dont know, I am still trying to wrap my head around that concept :lol:

Winter! I hate scraping windows.

tommymac 03-21-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508721)
Winter! I hate scraping windows.

I kinda remember winter, seems we didnt have one this year up in these parts :lol:

jtemple 03-21-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 508726)
I kinda remember winter, seems we didnt have one this year up in these parts :lol:

We didn't get much of one either. I think I used my snow blower once.

To make up for it, we're getting rained on continuously all week.

tommymac 03-21-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508730)
We didn't get much of one either. I think I used my snow blower once.

To make up for it, we're getting rained on continuously all week.

I think your rain will be our rain this weekend, supposed to be sunny and nice here till saturday then it goes to hell. upside is I am working this weekend so I am not missing anything LOL

OneSickPsycho 03-21-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

My truck wouldn't fit in the garage if there was nothing in it... FL garages are RIDICULOUSLY small. A lot of people convert them into living space...

derf 03-21-2012 09:29 AM

Exactly, garages were meant for toys and shit, not vehicles

Trip 03-21-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 508737)
Exactly, garages were meant for toys and shit, not vehicles

Bullshit, basements were meant for toys and shit. Garages are for vehicles.

Porkchop 03-21-2012 01:16 PM

I can fit 2 vehicles and 5 motorcycles in my garage. So redflip....

jtemple 03-21-2012 01:19 PM

I just got off the phone with the local dealer about a CB1000R (I sent them an email before I decided not to buy this year).

They don't have one and say that if they get one, it probably won't be until next year. Then he went on to suggest bikes that I'm not even remotely interested in.

Why is it so hard to get a bike?

Porkchop 03-21-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508751)
I just got off the phone with the local dealer about a CB1000R (I sent them an email before I decided not to buy this year).

They don't have one and say that if they get one, it probably won't be until next year. Then he went on to suggest bikes that I'm not even remotely interested in.

Why is it so hard to get a bike?

44 Miles Away...
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...1000R-98783489

147 Miles Away...
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...1000R-98201593

jtemple 03-21-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkchop (Post 508755)

Yeah, I will look more aggressively when it's time to buy.

jtemple 03-21-2012 04:24 PM

School me on the Triumph Speed Triple.

Reliability? Parts availability?

OneSickPsycho 03-21-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508780)
School me on the Triumph Speed Triple.

Reliability? Parts availability?

They are awesome... that's all you need to know.

jtemple 03-21-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 508783)
They are awesome... that's all you need to know.

Just wondering if they're relatively worry-free, for the reasons I have somewhat steered away from Ducati.

I don't know if you guys have figured it out just yet, but I tend to steer toward uncommon things. Ducati, Triumph, Husqvarna, etc. Rather than stuff you see all over the place.

But, in this case, I'm also not trying to create a bunch of work for myself by buying something that's going to be a headache.

tallywacker 03-21-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508784)

Just wondering if they're relatively worry-free, for the reasons I have somewhat steered away from Ducati.

I don't know if you guys have figured it out just yet, but I tend to steer toward uncommon things. Ducati, Triumph, Husqvarna, etc. Rather than stuff you see all over the place.

But, in this case, I'm also not trying to create a bunch of work for myself by buying something that's going to be a headache.

My hypermotard hasn't had any issues. I'm with you though, I like riding more unique bikes. I would definitely buy a speed triple, badass bike.

I want the new Diesel designed Ducati Monster:whatwhat:

http://luxuryes.com/wp-content/uploa...-monster-1.jpg

jtemple 03-21-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallywacker (Post 508786)
My hypermotard hasn't had any issues. I'm with you though, I like riding more unique bikes. I would definitely buy a speed triple, badass bike.

That is definitely a cool bike. How many miles are on your Hyper?

tallywacker 03-21-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508787)
That is definitely a cool bike. How many miles are on your Hyper?

First 1000 down, about to really put it through it's paces this year.

derf 03-21-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 508743)
Bullshit, basements were meant for toys and shit. Garages are for vehicles.

Sorry, let me be clear, to me toys=bikes and bikes=toys

Rangerscott 03-21-2012 09:49 PM

Lame. It doesn't have a diesel engine.

jtemple 03-21-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 508803)

That pissed me off, too! When I saw the link on Ducati's website, I clicked it thinking they made a monster with a diesel engine. I am disappoint.

tallywacker 03-21-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 508803)

Correct, it's made by the faggot designer. In this case though, they actually did a good job.

Rangerscott 03-21-2012 10:14 PM

Same guy that sells Diesel cologne? I have some. :lol

Porkchop 03-22-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallywacker (Post 508786)

I thought you just sold an R6? :lol: But im with you too, i'd rather have an italian bike, or triumph, or even another v4 honda than another generic inline 4 jap ss....

But that Monster is tits! I cant tell... 796 or 1100?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallywacker (Post 508805)
Correct, it's made by the faggot designer. In :lol:this case though, they actually did a good job.

Hey, I have a Diesel watch and its sweet as hell. My buddy has a Diesel cafe motorcycle style leather jacket and it is really well made stuff.

jtemple 03-22-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkchop (Post 508847)
i thought you just sold an r6? :lol: But im with you too, i'd rather have an italian bike, or triumph, or even another v4 honda than another generic inline 4 jap ss....

But that monster is tits! I cant tell... 796 or 1100?

Hey, i have a diesel watch and its sweet as hell. My buddy has a diesel cafe motorcycle style leather jacket and it is really well made stuff.

Trip 03-22-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 508791)
Sorry, let me be clear, to me toys=bikes and bikes=toys

Yeah, that's what I mean too. My bikes are going in a basement shop.

Trip 03-22-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkchop (Post 508847)
But im with you too, i'd rather have an italian bike, or triumph, or even another v4 honda than another generic inline 4 jap ss....

That's why I am going Scram for an extra bike I am going to pick up once all the house stuff is finished.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Yw83e8HeHq...r+Avirex-3.JPG

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c.../scrambler.jpg

Cutty72 03-22-2012 10:13 PM

That looks like it might work for my needs...
Looking for something that can better handle gravel/construction roads for my commute.
Must do more research.

Trip 03-22-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 508882)
That looks like it might work for my needs...
Looking for something that can better handle gravel/construction roads for my commute.
Must do more research.

That's why I am going to get it. I wanted something with a little more kick than a motard for my interstate commute, but I still want to go fuck bonkers on curbs and shit in the city and down the little dirt roads to some of the smaller dams we have.

Porkchop 03-22-2012 10:49 PM

That looks bad Trip...

No Worries 03-23-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508539)

Honda CB1000R
Triumph Speed Triple
Kawasaki Z1000

Check out this test of naked's:Speed Triple, Aprilia Tuano and Agusta Brutale http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...deo-91254.html

jtemple 03-23-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 508897)
Check out this test of naked's:Speed Triple, Aprilia Tuano and Agusta Brutale http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...deo-91254.html

Will watch. Aprilia/Augusta are cool and all, but you can't get Augusta here, and the one Aprilia dealer is a douche.

How does Triumph compare to Honda in terms of reliability and parts availability?

I don't want to be stranded on a trip. I don't want to have to wait 2-3 months to get parts. I also don't want to be checking valves every 3000 miles like I have to on the Husky (Husky valve checks are pretty easy to do, though).

jtemple 03-23-2012 11:26 AM

That Tuono V-4 is bad ass!

How maintenance intensive is Aprilia? I know those motard twins they have are pretty labor intensive. I don't know anything about their street bikes.

jtemple 03-23-2012 11:44 AM

Ok, these are what I've narrowed it down to, based on availability and reliability concerns.

Honda CB1000R

Triumph Speed Triple (probably wouldn't spring for the R)

The Triumph is my favorite of the two, just because it has more character. I don't know jack about how reliable they are, though. I also don't know how hard it is to get parts for them.

I'm sure I can ride the piss out of the Honda and never have to worry about it, aside from oil changes and valve checks. Parts are certainly easy to come by.

OneSickPsycho 03-23-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 508954)
Ok, these are what I've narrowed it down to, based on availability and reliability concerns.

Honda CB1000R

Triumph Speed Triple (probably wouldn't spring for the R)

The Triumph is my favorite of the two, just because it has more character. I don't know jack about how reliable they are, though. I also don't know how hard it is to get parts for them.

I'm sure I can ride the piss out of the Honda and never have to worry about it, aside from oil changes and valve checks. Parts are certainly easy to come by.

I don't have any direct evidence, but I've seen a number of people on various boards with them... never heard of any problems. Google would be your friend here... Parts shouldn't be a problem - Triumph is in good standing and it's a bike they still produce... Aftermarket support might not be the greatest, but with a bike like that - add some exhaust and be done with it.

jtemple 03-23-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 508956)
I don't have any direct evidence, but I've seen a number of people on various boards with them... never heard of any problems. Google would be your friend here... Parts shouldn't be a problem - Triumph is in good standing and it's a bike they still produce... Aftermarket support might not be the greatest, but with a bike like that - add some exhaust and be done with it.

I have done a lot of internet searching regarding Ducati, Honda and Triumph. I haven't looked around much at Aprilia, just because they're hard to find around here and the local dealership sucks.

As long as it runs well, I won't be doing much modding. I had to mod the piss out of the Husky just to get it to stop dying at traffic lights. :D

They had my bike so leaned out and restricted from the factory to pass emissions, it barely ran. Now it runs like a raped ape.