Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Riding Gear (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Helmet/gear whores? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=5704)

Yamerhaw 02-02-2009 08:07 PM

Helmet/gear whores?

1 Attachment(s)
Why do ya have so much gear? i personally dont know why i do, i just cant quit, just got 2 more Shoei's(total 6 shoei) and a total of 11 helmets, several jackets, leathers, boots, all kinds of gloves etc...

Yamerhaw 02-02-2009 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
gonna break down and sell a couple of things on ebay, if ya wanna check em out

1st , New with tags, Womens Alpinestars Stella Leather jacket

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alpin...1%7C240%3A1318

2nd , AGV 2 piece leathers, size 48 US, used one weekend

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180325715497

JARVIS518 02-02-2009 08:16 PM

u put the link to the jacket boh times

Yamerhaw 02-02-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JARVIS518 (Post 158494)
u put the link to the jacket boh times

thanks, fixed it:whistle:

Cutty72 02-02-2009 10:04 PM

these links work, and do not send me to hong kong.

marko138 02-03-2009 09:24 AM

I've got 3 helmets....I only wear 1. Another is a back up...and 1 is a crashed in lid that I won't wear.

I have 3 jackets. A mesh, a textile, and a leather for my 2 piece.

2 pants. The leathers and textiles for commuting.

2 pair of gloves.

1 back protector.

1 pair of boots.

rogue 02-03-2009 09:57 AM

Street:
3 Helmets
-1 needs replacing because it no longer fits (but it fits my Mini-Me so it's still usable)
-1 crashed and retired
-1 helmet for my son
3 Jackets
-1 textile that's way too big now, usable because it's a men's and my son can wear it
-1 mesh that's been crashed tested and still usable
-1 leather
2 Pairs of gloves
-1 summer pair, retired and looking for another pair (still good enough for Mini-Me to use)
-1 Leather
2 Pairs of boots
-both worn and need replacing, however still usuable (Mini-Me keeps stealing a pair to wear to school because she thinks they're "cool")

Dirt: (although I haven't ridden dirt in over a year)
2 - Helmets
2-Shirts
2-Pants
1-chest protector
1-Pair of boots
1-Pair gloves
1 Pair of eye protectors

Plus there's various other "gear" like a couple of balaclavas, several pairs of thermal socks, winter under armor as well as other thermal wear I only wear when riding the bike in the winter. I also have a couple of head wraps to wear in the summer to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

I need more gear.....

PhiSig1071 02-03-2009 10:01 AM

I want to be a gear whore but I have too many other expensive hobbies. Dropping another couple hundred on a second shoei is money that could go to buying me a new Sea Sniper speargun. Or an exhaust for the KTM. Or a steel hp125. But between parts, accessories, track stuff and dive gear I could probably fill a single car garage.

azoomm 02-03-2009 10:06 AM

I have most of our helmets hanging on shelves in our living room - we used two of them as our "guest books" at our wedding.

I've sold most of what I don't use anymore - and kept all the left-over suits. I think we're now at six full suits...

fnfalman 02-03-2009 02:00 PM

I have eight helmets, one of which I relegate the use for the various chicks that wanted to go for a ride (if they're hot enough). It's nice having a few helmets that you can rotate out in order to keep the funk down. Not to mention they gotta match my leathers.:whistle:

Amber Lamps 02-03-2009 07:05 PM

I have 8 "active" helmets. 6 pairs of gloves. 9 jackets. 2 sets of riding pants. Upper and lower Dainese "under armor". 5 pairs of boots. 8 pairs of riding socks (very nice,I highly recommend!). 2 sets of Icon knee armor. Various baclavas,dickies,vests,neck cozies,etc.

t-homo 02-03-2009 08:55 PM

I can't wait till I have a real job and can buy things like this.

Tsunami 02-06-2009 02:27 PM

i'm down the basics-

2 helmets-
1 street
1 dirt

1 track 2pc suit

2 pairs of pants
1 dual sport- which has a big burn hole on it from the engine
1 leather- doens't fit anymore since i am no longer a size 0 (alpinestars cat pants size 38 if anyone is interested)

3 jackets
1-mesh
1-better quality mesh
1-leather

2 boots
1- street
1- dirt

1 backprotector
1 pr gloves
1 race collar

fasternyou929 02-06-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 159098)
I have 8 "active" helmets. 6 pairs of gloves. 9 jackets. 2 sets of riding pants. Upper and lower Dainese "under armor". 5 pairs of boots. 8 pairs of riding socks (very nice,I highly recommend!). 2 sets of Icon knee armor. Various baclavas,dickies,vests,neck cozies,etc.

What do you think your total investment is? If I had 8 of my helmets, 9 jackets, and 5 pairs of boots, those alone would be enough to buy a new bike. :panic:

Do you bargain shop and/or impulse buy things off the WERA boards or other classifieds? Or have you bought all these from retail shops/sites?

Amber Lamps 02-06-2009 07:26 PM

Mostly bargain shop. I got a Shark Helmet for $100 for example... Most of my jackets are Icon. For example,I have two Accelerant jackets,one perferated and one normal. I only paid $265 ea for them. I have the Icon Neo-Daytona Hero jacket in blue/gold and the 24k gold TiMax gloves I got for $250 for both. Plus I've been riding for going on 30 years and I rarely throw gear away...

Mrs. Colleen 02-06-2009 08:03 PM

If my husband and I were not both into riding and cars we may have a lot more. But with 3 cars, two bikes, and both of us having a track addiction we keep the gear to the a complete set each.

My husband wants to get a new helmet and a one piece suit...but we also just paid off the vette (:rockwoot:) and will be getting the Miata's suspension upgraded soon. :panic:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamerhaw (Post 158492)
1st , New with tags, Womens Alpinestars Stella Leather jacket

That is the jacket I have...same color too. Too bad it is not red....

tommymac 02-07-2009 07:54 AM

man I thought I had a lot of gear. Def some good stuff there. Righ tnow I am lookin got upgrade a few things. have 3 helmets although my arai is about to be retired. 3 pairs of gloves including hte gerbings, but I want ot get a new pair of street gloves. A leather 2 piece, a mesh jacket and a textile jacket and textile pants. I will also be getting 2 pairs of the reinforced cargo pants.

Prolly no track for me this year so I need to focus more on commuting, our upstate day rides and a little bit of touring.

BTW yammer where did you get the shelfs your helmets are on I would love ot ge tmy hands on something like that.

Tom

Yamerhaw 02-07-2009 11:01 PM

okay here's the complete list:

1 Joe rocket 2 piece leathers
1 AGV 2 piece leathers
1 Teknic Leather Jacket
2 Joe Rocket textile Jackets
1 First Gear textile jacket
1 Rain suit
11 Helmets, 6 Shoei, 1 AGV, 2 Fulmer, 1 Cirus, 1 HJC
3 pairs of boots, 1 Alpinestars supertech, 1 alpinestars SMX Plus, 1 Diadora
5 pairs of gloves, 3 alpinestars, 1 Joe Rocket, 1 winter/cold weather
1 teknic back protector

some under armour, and a neck thingys that keep your face and neck warm

ZUKIMON 02-08-2009 07:09 PM

I don't have much.

5 helmets; 2 Shoei's, 1 Fulmer, my wife's AFX and an Xtrex offroad helmet.
1 jacket; Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0, red and black to match my bike.
Couple different pairs of gloves for different weather/rain.

I would like to have a good pair of riding boots, leathers and or a nice leather jacket. I have too much going out paying a mortage, vehicles, wheeling and kids to get much of what I want all at once. :D

Yamerhaw 03-01-2009 09:03 PM

damn just bought another Shoei, RF 1000 this time, anybody got one, how do they fit compared to RF 800, 900?

fasternyou929 03-01-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamerhaw (Post 173255)
damn just bought another Shoei, RF 1000 this time, anybody got one, how do they fit compared to RF 800, 900?

When I moved from RF800 to RF1000, I also changed from XL to L. I think the RF1000 feel a little more narrow, too.

Porkchop 03-01-2009 11:50 PM

You guys are bastards......

I have..... a helmet. :tt:

tommymac 03-01-2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasternyou929 (Post 173332)
When I moved from RF800 to RF1000, I also changed from XL to L. I think the RF1000 feel a little more narrow, too.

I will have ot check that too. I just bought an rf1000 and a large fit me perfectly. I have an older Rf model and not sure if it was an xl or a L.

Tom

Yamerhaw 03-04-2009 11:46 PM

just bought a new HJC for my oldest daughter(she's 10) but i told her i'd pick her up on the bike on the last day of school, so i let her pick out an affordable but decent helmet

caveman 06-07-2011 06:52 PM

Summer Jacket

Ok guys, i searched and found this thread but I don't seem to hear any recommendations for what kind of Jacket is the best for the summer. I am tired of sweating my @$$ off when I wear my leather. I like to have the protection of a jacket but I hate the sweltering heat that comes with wearing leather in 95°.

Please help

tommymac 06-07-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman (Post 474669)
Ok guys, i searched and found this thread but I don't seem to hear any recommendations for what kind of Jacket is the best for the summer. I am tired of sweating my @$$ off when I wear my leather. I like to have the protection of a jacket but I hate the sweltering heat that comes with wearing leather in 95°.

Please help

I have a tourmaster intake mesh jacket. You probably saw it at markos last year, thats what I wore out to the bike show. Is lightweight and has good ariflow and a good amt of armor.

Got it on a closeout on new enoguh a few years ago.

TYEster 06-07-2011 06:57 PM

I have a bunch because you never know when you might need it for others.

Also I'm starting to have a weird policy that I because I never buy USED gear(not tried once used, but 10000+mi used) I tend to not sell USED gear.

I wear my stuff out and once it is, it becomes decoration.

Porkchop 06-07-2011 07:17 PM

I use A*s Sniper Air-Flo Mesh jacket. Great for the just the summer. Most of the construction is mesh, so it lets in good air. Its not a good early spring/late fall jacket because there in no removable liner or zip mesh panels. The only panels that arent mesh have padding or CE armor behind it. Even then that material is light. And I bought the white one, so its much cooler in the sun than the black one.

http://www.alpinestars.com/store/pro...id=330288&cs=1

Particle Man 06-07-2011 08:08 PM

My JR Alter Ego has been indispensable the past few days of 90+ temps

derf 06-07-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Please help

I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket, its not super great but I got it on closeout and its probably been ridden for 5,000 miles and still looks new. I haven't crash tested it but I have heard stories that range from it did its job to the jacket caused more damage than it saved.

here is a worst case scenario of some dude who crashed his and had it melt into his skin

But overall it really comes down to what level of protection you want and what compromise you are willing to deal with.

Leather will be the best, pref'd leather is a decent compromise because it flows air. I have a full 1 piece teknic race suit which is great, probably the best protection I have. I also own a Cortech leather jacket, no pants that fit with it, but its great for tooling around town. Both of them probably have between 7 and 10,000 miles on them and neither have let me down. the teknic suit was down at a pretty high speed, and other than a scratched ass and elbow I walked away from an almost triple digit trackday lowside with nothing but a broken collar bone, pretty smashed up helmet and tore up gloves. Not a hair of rash on me and I slid for a good hundred feet, didnt even break a stitch on the suit.

Textile has gotten me excited lately, last year I bought a 2 piece fieldsheer set, waterproof, super warm. I put 5,000 miles on it and have had it in weather from 20 degree freezing rain and snow up in the hills of CT to mid 90s today in the traffic of DC. I was decently sweaty today in the heat, but once I was able to move and flow some air I was fine. I was also just gifted a very well worn roadcrafter 1 piece. I haven't worn it on the bike yet, but I did run across my house and did some jumping jacks. The previous owner had a 50mph lowside on it in LA, wore through the first layer of the knee, busted a seam in the ass and the shoulder, but the roadcrafter is supposed to be a superior suit to the fieldsheer I have so we shall see about that. I ordered a patch kit and zipper repair kit from Aerostich for the knee, and broken zippers, and used some liquid stich to repair the ass and shoulder, waiting for the stuff to set now, and I threw some duct tape on the knee to keep it from fraying any more than it already is.

Really it comes down to what level of protection you are willing to ride in. For me if I'm going out and pushing myself I'll wear the 1 piece leather, if I'm going on a longer distance ride, I'll wear the 2 piece textile (or possibly the roadcrafter 1 piece in the future). If i'm going out for a liesurly cruise for an afternoon I'll wear either just the leather or textile jacket and jeans. And yes if i am going down the street or just to work for a 2 mile ride, I wont wear any gear, just my regular clothes.

I always wear a helmet and I always wear gloves, just cant ride without them, and I pretty much always wear boots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYEster (Post 474671)
I have a bunch because you never know when you might need it for others.

Also I'm starting to have a weird policy that I because I never buy USED gear(not tried once used, but 10000+mi used) I tend to not sell USED gear.

I wear my stuff out and once it is, it becomes decoration.

I bought some really cheap gear early on, stuff that just fell apart on me, I started buying better stuff a few years back, and now most of my gear is built to last. the more expensive stuff though I get used. My leather 1 piece was lightly used and sold because the PO got fat and didnt fit in it anymore. The new roadcrafter was previously owned by a guy that is buying a new one instead of getting this one fixed. I'll eventually send it back to the factory for a refurb, have them patch professionally them, and replace the leg zippers for the newer 100% waterproof ones. I expect to spend $200 for that, and expect to have a top notch suit

Gas Man 06-07-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Please help

That's so easy a caveman could do it

Meshy is the only way to go. I was thinking about getting one as well. Was thinking about one of these
http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Both of which use hydration packs which are suppose to keep you super cool (2nd one may come with these already)

caveman 06-08-2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 474670)
I have a tourmaster intake mesh jacket. You probably saw it at markos last year, thats what I wore out to the bike show. Is lightweight and has good ariflow and a good amt of armor.

Got it on a closeout on new enoguh a few years ago.

that was a nice jacket. Tourmaster is the name brand? what about model?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkchop (Post 474673)
I use A*s Sniper Air-Flo Mesh jacket. Great for the just the summer. Most of the construction is mesh, so it lets in good air. Its not a good early spring/late fall jacket because there in no removable liner or zip mesh panels. The only panels that arent mesh have padding or CE armor behind it. Even then that material is light. And I bought the white one, so its much cooler in the sun than the black one.

http://www.alpinestars.com/store/pro...id=330288&cs=1

Nice

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 474677)
My JR Alter Ego has been indispensable the past few days of 90+ temps

Link?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 474709)
That's so easy a caveman could do it

Meshy is the only way to go. I was thinking about getting one as well. Was thinking about one of these

Both of which use hydration packs which are suppose to keep you super cool (2nd one may come with these already)

I do like the second one too looks like it may be a little more durable. However, I want one that is as light weight as possible and still provides protection. That leather on the ride in yesterday evening was a hot one till I got on the highway at 80

Homeslice 06-08-2011 08:41 AM

Tourmaster, Fieldsheer, and Cortech FTW....... best priced mesh jackets around. The others are more expensive just because of the brand name.

Dave 06-08-2011 09:17 AM

Realizing this is an old thread, seeing the title and author I thought this was gonna be of a different nature :lol:

marko138 06-08-2011 09:23 AM

I have a JR Phoenix mesh as well. Only down side is that it's too big and it's black...but I wear it none the less.

Corey 06-08-2011 01:22 PM

I have a Fieldsheer Mach 3 that I picked up from New Enough a few years ago that's still going strong. It's Got a few leather bits here and some CE armor throughout the jacket. There's a pouch on the back where an included rain coat would go in, but damned if I know what happened to that thing. It worked damn well though. The jacket works really well in this Florida heat.

Particle Man 06-08-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman (Post 474740)
Link?

Your google broken?

:nee:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...2-0-Jacket.asp

I have the 2.0 (jacket and pants) but there's a 3.0 out now.

tommymac 06-09-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 474761)
I have a JR Phoenix mesh as well. Only down side is that it's too big and it's black...but I wear it none the less.

I had one of those before the tourmaster. good jacket but the rain made it fade.

Particle Man 06-09-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 474940)
I had one of those before the tourmaster. good jacket but the rain made it fade.

So far, my black JR mesh hasn't faded. I'm actually pretty surprised by that. My JR tail bag and my Nelson Riggs tank bag, however, are faded to all hell and gone.

tommymac 06-09-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 474957)
So far, my black JR mesh hasn't faded. I'm actually pretty surprised by that. My JR tail bag and my Nelson Riggs tank bag, however, are faded to all hell and gone.

I had the red one with the leather over the shoulders, couple of good downpours faded it prety good.

Particle Man 06-10-2011 06:00 PM

Hmmm good to know

tommymac 06-11-2011 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 474957)

oh yeah, my tailbag is super duper faded but its still doing the job and gets a ton of use.

derf 06-11-2011 10:07 PM

In response to the original post

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2057042_n.jpg

from top to bottom left to right

Vega Helmet
Scorpion Ex700 Helmet
HJC IS-Max BT w/sena smh10 attached

Teknic back protector
Joe Rocket Rain suit top and bottom
Fieldsheer inner liner, top and bottom
Fieldsheer mercury pants
Joe Rocket Mesh Jacket
Cortech leather jacket
Fieldsheer adventure jacket
Aerostich roadcrafter 1 pc
Teknic leather 1 pc

assorted gloves (in the shoe rack on the right)

touring boots
race boots

I've got a few more helmets and some other gloves floating around as well as an extra rain suit and some other misc crap