Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Would you rather buy..... (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=6408)

Yamerhaw 03-03-2009 10:34 PM

Would you rather buy.....

a used bike that was stunted or a used bike that was raced?

I wouldn't buy either one, just wondering

JoJoYZF 03-03-2009 10:36 PM

Id probably take the one thats raced, but it depends on the bike. A lot of stunt bikes get dropped a lot where as raced ones thats a little bit less likely. And most sportbikes are meant more for racing then to be stunted so Id assume that its not going to be quite as hard on the bike.

MikeSP1 03-03-2009 10:38 PM

Raced, there's a better chance that it hasn't been starved for oil. Sport bikes are designed (more or less) like their race bike cousins. I haven't seen a manufacturer yet that has designed a solely stunt bike, except for a trials bike.

Yamerhaw 03-03-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSP1 (Post 174315)
Raced, there's a better chance that it hasn't been starved for oil. Sport bikes are designed (more or less) like their race bike cousins. I haven't seen a manufacturer yet that has designed a solely stunt bike, except for a trials bike.

true, though a race bike has been rung out its whole life

JoJoYZF 03-03-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamerhaw (Post 174317)

Thats a downfall, but like I said, Im taking my chances on a bike thats been ridden more like it was meant to be over being stunted.

Mrs. Colleen 03-03-2009 10:42 PM

Raced...more chances of upgrades I actually want. :dthumb:

Yamerhaw 03-03-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen (Post 174320)
Raced...more chances of upgrades I actually want. :dthumb:

what, ya mean you dont want a 12 o'clock bar?

Mrs. Colleen 03-03-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamerhaw (Post 174321)
what, ya mean you dont want a 12 o'clock bar?

Ummmm....no....I'll pass thanks. :dthumb:

JoJoYZF 03-03-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen (Post 174323)
Ummmm....no....I'll pass thanks. :dthumb:

Good, you can pass it to :pebbs:

Porkchop 03-03-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamerhaw (Post 174317)

Isn't that the purpose of a supersport bike?

I'd rather have a clean bike that was raced rather than a bike that the suspension/clutch is beat up and there has been extra stress on the frame....

ericr 03-03-2009 10:52 PM

You get enough oil starvation during wheelies that it's probably as hard on the motor as racing it is. Even with the ones that are designed with the pickup in the rear of the sump, the oil doesn't flow through the motor the same. I'll take the race bike.

Dave 03-03-2009 11:06 PM

most stuntbikes lack titles too

Mikey 03-03-2009 11:13 PM

Racebike all the way. Yeah, it's been run hard, but it's also been much better cared for, hasn't slammed into the pavement from high wheelies, and doesn't have all the extra stress on the suspanesion, frame, clutch, and motor (oil starvation).

Sportbikes are meant to be ridden hard- it's what they're designed for. They aren't designed for mile long highchair wheelies.

tached1000rr 03-03-2009 11:44 PM

race bike, I'd wager most racers take better care of their bikes and most I know at least change the oil frequently.

marko138 03-04-2009 08:12 AM

I wouldn't buy either. But if they were the last two bikes on earth and I had to buy one it would be the race bike.

Yamerhaw 03-04-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 174337)
most stuntbikes lack titles too

yeah, saw a few racebikes that lacked them too, how exactly do these stunters and racers end up with these bikes with no titles anyway?

Rider 03-04-2009 01:12 PM

I don't buy used bikes. :idk: It would have to be a super good deal for me to consider it.

BobTheBiker 03-04-2009 01:26 PM

racebike. simply because most of their crashes are lowsides that generally damage bodywork, not wheelies that end in slamming the front down, or overworking the suspension in a way that it wasnt intended to be worked.

the worst a racebike will probably need, is some new bearings in the motor, which is no biggie for me, but a bike with suspension, frame and other untold damage combined, yeahh, NO.

smileyman 03-04-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tached1000rr (Post 174364)
race bike, I'd wager most racers take better care of their bikes and most I know at least change the oil frequently.

+ one. Most racers are good with maintenance and rebuild anything that seems weak. Look to buy from experienced racers though and make sure their bike has been professionally prepped....

r!der 03-04-2009 01:51 PM

Much rather get a racebike. Chances are, most racers are somewhat meticulous and take care of their bikes....for the most part. Most stunters seem to think its cool to have a shitty, dented bike and to be honest, most look like scumbags that couldnt give a shit about the bike, much less lying to you about the condition its in.

marko138 03-04-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r!der (Post 174581)
Much rather get a racebike. Chances are, most racers are somewhat meticulous and take care of their bikes....for the most part. Most stunters seem to think its cool to have a shitty, dented bike and to be honest, most look like scumbags that couldnt give a shit about the bike, much less lying to you about the condition its in.

You know thats the truth.

tommymac 03-04-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamerhaw (Post 174545)
yeah, saw a few racebikes that lacked them too, how exactly do these stunters and racers end up with these bikes with no titles anyway?

They have no problem buying something with a salvage title because they arent riding it on the street anyway.

Tom

DLIT 03-04-2009 03:39 PM

Wouldn't buy either, but I'd go with the one that's been raced. You can bet it has been maintained better then the stunted one and dropped a lot less than the stunter. And not starved for oil half its life.

DLIT 03-04-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider (Post 174549)
I don't buy used bikes. :idk: It would have to be a super good deal for me to consider it.

I'm with ya there. And the deal would have to be a killer one on, like, an 848 or something with killer fuckin' mods.

azoomm 03-04-2009 04:08 PM

Raced.

And, only if I knew the person selling the bike....

Dave 03-04-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 174659)
They have no problem buying something with a salvage title because they arent riding it on the street anyway.

Tom

prob more than a few stolen as well :2cents:

shmike 03-04-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 174680)
And, only if I knew the person selling the bike....

That is extremely important.

I'd buy a racebike from fellow racer if I knew them or they were vouched for.

shmike 03-04-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 174668)
I'm with ya there. And the deal would have to be a killer one on, like, an 848 or something with killer fuckin' mods.

Aren't you an aspiring racer?

Go run a few seasons, build a few bikes and then tell me you wouldn't buy a used bike.

deals gap dragon slayer 03-04-2009 05:29 PM

i'd take the race bike. more likely that its been maintained properly..

I look at it this way...

I'm out and about one day and I run into two riders... Ben Spies and some stunta... which one am I more likely to trust with my bike...

racedoll 03-04-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

That was my thought too, though you will get some here or there that neglect it more than others - just probably not as much as a stunt bike.

wildchild 03-05-2009 09:14 AM

just a thought. ever met a stunter who cared about their bike? ever met a racer who didn't?

yes there are exceptions but for the most part stunters couldn't care less about the bike, if they trash it they fur it out or find a slightly less wrecked one. Their in it for the wow of stunts not the riding.
racers need the bike to be maintained and finish races, yes there are some guys who don't know how to properly maintain their race bike but for the most part racers demand top condition from their ride.

that said I would buy the race bike.

unknownroad 03-05-2009 10:47 PM

I think I'd build my own motorcycle out of bicycle parts and a riding lawn mower before I'd buy an ex stuntbike :panic:

Yamerhaw 03-05-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 174682)
prob more than a few stolen as well :2cents:

probably

Particle Man 03-09-2009 10:01 PM

If I was forced... raced - and I'd replace just about everything on it that I could

the chi 03-10-2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

DITTO! Every racer I know takes almost as good care of their race bike as they do their kids! And they use the bike lik it was built to be ridden, unlike stunt bikes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamerhaw (Post 174545)

Often a bike will be totaled for something trivial that really doesnt affect its performance. You can pick up a brand new bike with little miles on it from a salvage yard that specializes in bikes for a fraction of the original price. If there is some slight frame damage cuz it fell off a trailer or something, just buy a spare frame and swap. And thats how many end up with no title. Depending on the state, you sometimes cannot register a "salvaged" bike even if its in perfect ridable condition. And its usually easier if thats its sole purpose to leave it untitled and track it out.

pauldun170 03-10-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildchild (Post 175142)
just a thought. ever met a stunter who cared about their bike? ever met a racer who didn't?

yes there are exceptions but for the most part stunters couldn't care less about the bike, if they trash it they fur it out or find a slightly less wrecked one. Their in it for the wow of stunts not the riding.
racers need the bike to be maintained and finish races, yes there are some guys who don't know how to properly maintain their race bike but for the most part racers demand top condition from their ride.

that said I would buy the race bike.

Agreed.

Let's say that neither stunt bike or Race bike have ever crashed.

The race bike may be worn from constant use of what it was designed for.

The stunt bike will be abused from constant use it wasn't designed for.

lauralynne 03-10-2009 02:33 PM

raced...with that said, every single bike that comes into our garage gets torn down to bolts and rebuilt. We've only ever bought used and, in our minds, nobody is as meticulous as us. It's my life on the line, I'd damn well better take responsibility for the machine I'm riding.

GSXRGirl 03-14-2009 02:25 AM

Stunted no...

Raced yes, especially if I was in the market for a track bike.

racedoll 03-14-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chi (Post 177924)
Often a bike will be totaled for something trivial that really doesnt affect its performance.

A number of years ago my husband picked up an 01 GSXR 600 that was totaled and there was virtually nothing wrong with it. It had like 8 MILES on it. He bought from a salvage yard and gave them all the street stuff because he was going to race it. He could have easily fixed it and gotten the title cleared, but wasn't necessary.