Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Beginner's End (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   What do you do/say? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=14182)

ontwo 04-09-2010 09:50 AM

I don't encourage or discourage. I take the same approach when people ask me about tattoos. It is up to the individual.

Particle Man 04-09-2010 09:51 AM

It's up to them... but I'd keep an eye on which direction they're riding and go the other way. :)

marko138 04-09-2010 10:06 AM

MSF all the way. That should be their first exposure to riding. They can decide on their own if MC is for them or not.

Dnyce 04-09-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 359726)
I walk away.

I was told many times before I started riding that I shouldn't be riding.... I didn't listen, why would I expect anyone else to listen?

yep.

most ppl only listen to what they wana hear. one of my friends really shouldnt be riding imo, but he wanted too, so we told him take the class, we'll take u to the parking lot whenever you want, practice practice practice.

id rather keep an eye on my friend to help prevent some injury and retardedness than turn my back on him and find out he got killed. some ppl learn the hard way, but sometimes the hard way kills ya.

never know what ppl are capable of when given the right instruction and proper tools

Sixxxxer 04-09-2010 12:19 PM

If they act like there gonna hop on and be Invincible Even AFTER I tell them what they should do to get started, Then I just walk away b/c I dont like to be all fatherly It's not my job in life to tell people what to do.

I do that enough at work.

Dnyce 04-09-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 360021)
If they act like there gonna hop on and be Invincible Even AFTER I tell them what they should do to get started, Then I just walk away b/c I dont like to be all fatherly It's not my job in life to tell people what to do.

I do that enough at work.

if its a friend, that attitude entitles u to kick him right in the balls, right?

Sixxxxer 04-09-2010 12:27 PM

Oh Def, If its someone I know then I def tell them how I feel...But I cant tell you how many morons Come up to me when I'm out on the bike like "ZOMG YOUR BIKE IS TEH SEXORZ I WANNA LEARN TO RIDE BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Then i always say Ya take the MSF course and depending on how they react I either A. Continue the Convo or B. Ride away in Horror and Hope they never touch a Motorcycle

Dnyce 04-09-2010 12:34 PM

oh, strangers i dont do to well with, i always hear the " dude thats a gixxer? they go like 250 right? im gonna get one, yadda yadda yadda."
:wtfru:
i smile, nod, keep it moving.

karl_1052 04-09-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njchopper87 (Post 359640)
All that said and done, I refer everyone to the MSF as they're the ones trained to evaluate if someone can ride or not.

This

If they are adults, they will do what they want anyways.
At least this way they get to try riding for themselves in a safe environment, without spending alot of cash, to see if they actually like it, or if it is just a romanticized idea.

OreoGaborio 04-12-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 359838)
MSF all the way. That should be their first exposure to riding. They can decide on their own if MC is for them or not.

:iagree:

I helped a couple people discover that riding wasn't for them just a couple weeks ago. It's not fun when that happens, but it's usually for the best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by njchopper87 (Post 359640)
I refer everyone to the MSF as they're the ones trained to evaluate if someone can ride or not.

The way I see it, it's the course that's designed to weed out those that should or shouldn't be riding, not the coach. And it's generally up to the customer to make the final decision, not me. I basically just give them the tools & opportunity to learn, then pass or fail and support them either way.

I actually just had one older gentleman who's goal was to get a bike so he could ride with his son. He passed the course, but still made the conscious decision that riding wasn't for him. I was bummed & a little surprised to hear him say that, but at the same time, I understood and part of me agreed.

With that said, it was just the physical skill part that he was having trouble with... with more practice he could have ironed out all those issues.