Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Hollywood Backing Roman Polanski... (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=10874)

101lifts2 10-05-2009 11:54 PM

Hollywood Backing Roman Polanski...

Yeah, lets back some fuck that drugs and rapes a 13 year old..Hollywood fucks...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/...-case-backlash

Roman Polanski sex case arrest provokes backlash in Hollywood. US women have attacked film world's backing for director who again faces threat of trial for unlawful sex with 13-year-old girl in 1977

Hollywood stars flock to causes. An A-list name can boost the profile of a charity, highlight a far-off tragedy or reverse a grave injustice. So when Oscar-winning director Roman Polanski was arrested in Switzerland on the way to a film festival, it is perhaps no wonder that the great and the good of the film world rushed to plead for his freedom.

The list of supporters giving Polanski their impassioned support read like a Who's Who of the cream of the movie-making world. It included, among many others, Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese, David Lynch, Harvey Weinstein, Pedro Almodóvar and Ethan Coen.

But rather than rallying mass public support for the beleaguered film-maker – director of such undoubted classics as Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby and The Pianist – they have provoked an extraordinary backlash.

Led by a handful of outspoken female voices, a rising tide of opinion has instead applauded Polanski's arrest for unlawful sex with a 13-year-old back in 1977. They have turned the focus on the crime itself, calling the director an accused rapist who abused a child.

That, they say, should be the focus of the story and of Hollywood's ire, not defending an old man who pleaded guilty to unlawful sex with a young girl then went on the run for 32 years to avoid prison. The backlash – not only against Polanski, but also against the Hollywood clan that rallied round him – has begun in earnest.

"Roman Polanski raped a child. Let's just start right there, because that's the detail that tends to get neglected," wrote feminist and author Kate Harding in an impassioned column in Salon. That article then went viral across the internet, gaining tens of thousands of page views and seeming to herald the reaction to come.

Harding, a liberal feminist, found herself being asked to appear on rightwing talk radio shows. Soon editorial after editorial, from the mighty New York Times to the smalltown Lowell Sun in Massachusetts, followed suit, welcoming Polanski's arrest as a case of long overdue justice for a serious crime.

It seems that the consequences of the dramatic development could now spread wider than just Polanski. Already some early supporters of the director, such as actress Whoopee Goldberg, have had to backtrack and clarify their positions. More are likely to follow suit in the weeks to come. Could it be that Hollywood – whose very existence rests on accurately predicting the public's taste – has made one of its gravest misjudgments? "The disconnect between Hollywood and the rest of the country seems enormous," said Anthony Mora, an author and founder of a leading Los Angeles-based public relations firm.

There is little doubt that the case is extremely complex. In many ways both sides are dealing in black and whites and not the shades of grey that too often more accurately describe reality.

For Polanski's defenders, that has meant ignoring the act that took place in 1977 and instead focusing on judicial wrongdoings that have plagued the case and Polanski's own tragedy-tinged life.

They point out that the director pleaded guilty only as part of a deal, which he then feared was being reneged upon. That is why he fled, they say. They also refer to his past – as a Holocaust survivor and a man whose wife, Sharon Tate, was brutally murdered by followers of Charles Manson – as evidence that he has already borne much suffering in his life.

Finally, his sterling record as a film director is held up as evidence of why he should be celebrated as a leading artist, not arrested for a crime where even the victim has asked for him not to be pursued after such a long time. Perhaps it is no wonder that many in Hollywood have described his plight in terms that make Polanski himself the martyr. Weinstein said the arrest was a "terrible situation". Actress Debra Winger said the Swiss had been involved in "Philistine collusion" in allowing the arrest. Goldberg, in now notorious remarks, said: "I don't believe it was 'rape-rape'."

But, as the outrage has grown, especially in the wake of Goldberg's remarks, the sheer scale of Hollywood's misjudgment in rallying so enthusiastically to Polanski's cause has begun to be exposed. One of Goldberg's fellow presenters on the ABC TV show The View, Sherri Shepherd, condemned Polanksi outright. Details of the victim's testimony in 1977 have been published and widely circulated through the media and via the gossip website The Smoking Gun. It makes for grim and unpleasant reading.

The girl graphically described being given champagne and a quaalude, a popular recreational drug in the 1970s, by Polanski before he had sex with her. She testified that she repeatedly said no but that he did not stop, committing numerous sexual acts as she protested.

Not surprisingly, it is feminists and women who have led the charge against Hollywood's support of Polanski. The Feminist Majority Foundation is in favour of his extradition. Katie Buckland, chief executive of the California Women's Law Centre, has pointed out the difference between Hollywood's attitudes towards Polanski's long-ago crime and the unearthed pasts of elderly paedophile Catholic priests.

Writer Vicki Iovine has also been outspoken, making the same point. Even some women members of Hollywood have broken ranks as actress Kirstie Alley loudly condemned Polanski and those who defended him. Nearly all have accused him in no uncertain terms of being a child rapist.

The ramifications of that will be difficult to measure. Polanski now faces a long legal battle that will span two continents. But in the arena of public opinion his image has been shattered. The words many people will now first associate with Polanski will be all to do with the sexual assault of a young child, not his film work. Even if he goes free, Polanski could now be hurt where it really matters to Hollywood: the box office. "Sex with children was, and always has been, anathema to Americans... the 'anything goes' cultural excesses of the time do not excuse Polanski from society's expectation that adults should protect kids, not exploit them," said author and sociologist BJ Gallagher.

The Polanski backlash has spread far and wide. He was never popular at all on the right wing of America's culture, but now middle America is firmly in favour of seeing him in a Californian courtroom. Talkshow hosts, radio commentators and newspaper editorials from coast to coast have all insisted that the arrest was long overdue and that Polanski needs to be brought to the US.

"Hollywood people really don't see the world in the same way as average people... that is why there is a backlash," said Mike Levine, a Hollywood PR expert.

But it is perhaps no surprise that the gap between Hollywood and the rest of America has grown so large on this particular case. Because of his long and illustrious career, Polanski is a friend and colleague of nearly all the main players in the film world. They are his confidantes and his peers. His movies have made them stars and helped them to earn millions. They live in the same rarefied world of global fame. "Elite Hollywood culture is protecting one of its own," said Alexander Riley, a professor of sociology at Bucknell University.

It is also speaks to a certain type of Hollywood culture which appears to insist that its top stars are in some ways elevated above the law and should be treated differently to ordinary members of the public.

If Polanski was just an ordinary man instead of a world-famous film director, the bare facts of his case would be likely to elicit little sympathy – especially from the world famous. Hollywood stars seem to be arguing, in some ways, that Polanski's talent should allow him some sort of free pass for his past behaviour. "Hollywood... looks at the Polanski case and says, 'You have to make allowances for genius'," said Gallagher.

Hollywood's elite also functions as a kind of club and Polanski, seen by the elite as a great European auteur director, is a firm member. That requires a certain degree of success but also a great deal of ideological conformity. It is a cliche that Hollywood is uniformly liberal in its politics, but one with more than a dash of truth in it. It is certainly interesting to see the reaction to Polanski's case and compare it with the reaction to Mel Gibson, when he was caught mouthing drunken anti-Semitic abuse.

Gibson, a rare conservative in Hollywood, was brutally condemned by his fellow stars and sent into virtual career exile. Polanski, whose crime is far more serious, has seen a vast outpouring of sympathy. Being a member of the Hollywood club certainly seems to have its privileges.

"The difference between the reaction to Gibson and the reaction to Polanski has been just huge. Huge!" said celebrity interviewer Gayl Murphy. "That says a lot about what Hollywood thinks is important to them."

But, more importantly, it has also exposed a huge fault line between what Hollywood thinks of itself and what Americans think of Hollywood. No longer is it just the right wing of America lambasting "Hollywood liberals" for their permissive and overly Democratic ways. It is Democrats too. And feminists. And conservatives. Polanski seems to have united the different strands of America in a way that few other things have.

As Harding blogged after her column exploded across the blogosphere and she was inundated with emails and requests for press interviews: "Who knew being disgusted with Roman Polanski would turn out to be the ever-elusive common ground between rightwing dudes and liberal feminists?"

Homeslice 10-06-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

"Elite Hollywood culture is protecting one of its own,"
what else is new

RACER X 10-06-2009 08:00 AM

we he didn't rape-rape that girl, he only raped her, so he should be forgiven.

Papa_Complex 10-06-2009 08:27 AM

While I would like to see kiddie diddlers sprayed with iodine and then keel hauled, I have to question the sanity of bringing up a 32 year old case that the now adult victim doesn't want to see dredged up. She's had more than three decades to rebuild her life. Should that be tossed away in a media frenzy?

Tmall 10-06-2009 08:36 AM

He owes a debt to society for what he did to her.

Its inconsequential if she agrees with it now or not..

Papa_Complex 10-06-2009 08:43 AM

I don't see re-victimizing the victim as being inconsequential, in a case this old.

shmike 10-06-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 274626)
I don't see re-victimizing the victim as being inconsequential, in a case this old.

What is the statute of limitations on re-victimizing?

Would it have been ok after 5 years? 10? 15?

karl_1052 10-06-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 274562)
The list of supporters giving Polanski their impassioned support read like a Who's Who of the cream of the movie-making world. It included, among many others, Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese, David Lynch, Harvey Weinstein, Pedro Almodóvar and Ethan Coen.

didn't woody allen marry his 16 year old adopted daughter? Of course he is going to support this shit.:td:

goof2 10-06-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Since it was a long time ago it no longer counts? Doesn't the American justice system have an interest in demonstrating that, in a case like this, it will not be dropped if you run long enough?

Papa_Complex 10-06-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 274655)
What is the statute of limitations on re-victimizing?

Would it have been ok after 5 years? 10? 15?

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 274661)
Since it was a long time ago it no longer counts? Doesn't the American justice system have an interest in demonstrating that, in a case like this, it will not be dropped if you run long enough?

There are times when you have to consider the welfare of the individual over retribution, or demonstrative justice by The State.

If you'll stop the pile-on for 10 seconds to re-read my original post on the subject, you'll see that I "question" the automatic assumption that he should be brought back to face his sentence, in this specific instance.

goof2 10-06-2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 274562)

I shouldn't, but whenever I see celebrities supporting a criminal it makes me think of the Norman Mailer/Jack Henry Abbott disaster. I don't think much of the opinions of most celebrities.

marko138 10-06-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 274656)
didn't woody allen marry his 16 year old adopted daughter? Of course he is going to support this shit.:td:

:lol: Top notch Hollywood class.

goof2 10-06-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 274670)
There are times when you have to consider the welfare of the individual over retribution, or demonstrative justice by The State.

If you'll stop the pile-on for 10 seconds to re-read my original post on the subject, you'll see that I "question" the automatic assumption that he should be brought back to face his sentence, in this specific instance.

When someone who fled American jurisdiction to escape prosecution or sentencing is captured in a country with which America has an extradition treaty I would hope there is an automatic assumption they be brought back. It is not the State Department's job to decide outcomes for criminals. That job is for the courts.

Papa_Complex 10-06-2009 10:12 AM

And he should have been extradited back then, but he wasn't. Whose fault was that; the victim's?

Hell, this case dates back to when I was in high school.

z06boy 10-06-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 274671)
I don't think much of the opinions of most celebrities.

Me either

goof2 10-06-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 274743)
And he should have been extradited back then, but he wasn't. Whose fault was that; the victim's?

Hell, this case dates back to when I was in high school.

Both Poland and France refused to arrest him for extradition. Should he be rewarded because he avoided countries that may have arrested him for extradition for a long time? I don't really understand what you would expect the American government to do?

Papa_Complex 10-06-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 274783)
Both Poland and France refused to arrest him for extradition. Should he be rewarded because he avoided countries that may have arrested him for extradition for a long time? I don't really understand what you would expect the American government to do?

All of this debate as if I made an absolute claim, because I QUESTION an automatic assumption? Jeez.

Tmall 10-06-2009 10:54 AM

He admitted guilt then fled.

What don't you agree with???

Trip 10-06-2009 11:01 AM

The girl also doesn't care because she settled out of court for an undisclosed settlement. She got paid and might have signed something where she couldn't publicly call for this man to burn.

goof2 10-06-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 274788)
All of this debate as if I made an absolute claim, because I QUESTION an automatic assumption? Jeez.

I know you didn't make an absolute claim, but your question leaves one as the only alternative. If America decides not to extradite Polanski all that is left is to release him. That begs another question. Should Polanski be rewarded for remaining a fugitive for so long?

Homeslice 10-06-2009 11:38 AM

Nobody is rewarded for fleeing justice for a long time. They are only rewarded for being close to death anyway, like if they have terminal cancer...........Or, like in this case, if the individual possesses "extraordinary artistic abilities" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: according to his buddies in Hollywood -- they will lobby the media and the courts until they cave in and let him go.

Papa_Complex 10-06-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 274823)
I know you didn't make an absolute claim, but your question leaves one as the only alternative. If America decides not to extradite Polanski all that is left is to release him. That begs another question. Should Polanski be rewarded for remaining a fugitive for so long?

The question that brings to mind is whether being a felon, who can't go to many places that he wants/needs to because of the industry that he's involved in, is to be considered a 'reward'?

pauldun170 10-06-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 274656)

Quote:

"He's my father married to my sister. That makes me his son and his brother-in-law.
Ronan Seamus Farrow

shmike 10-06-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 274906)
The question that brings to mind is whether being a felon, who can't go to many places that he wants/needs to because of the industry that he's involved in, is to be considered a 'reward'?

Being outside of a prison is better than being inside.

Or since he can't go to the latest Premiere, he has suffered enough?

Papa_Complex 10-06-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 274916)
Being outside of a prison is better than being inside.

Or since he can't go to the latest Premiere, he has suffered enough?

That wasn't the statement. Try and stay with the tour group. Thank you.

shmike 10-06-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 274940)
That wasn't the statement. Try and stay with the tour group. Thank you.

You left the group pages ago.

I'm just the intern sent to keep you from hurting yourself.

Papa_Complex 10-06-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 274943)
You left the group pages ago.

I'm just the intern sent to keep you from hurting yourself.

Apparently abstaining from a circle jerk and questioning the situation now merits censure.

Tmall 10-06-2009 01:32 PM

What is your debate then?

He was found guilty and ran away. He was caught and is being punished. What exactly do you object to?

shmike 10-06-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 274946)
Apparently abstaining from a circle jerk and questioning the situation now merits censure.

Seriously, Avatard, PC is gonna be pissed when he finds out you've been using his screen name again.

Papa_Complex 10-06-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 274950)
What is your debate then?

He was found guilty and ran away. He was caught and is being punished. What exactly do you object to?

I made no statement, but rather asked a question: Does the 'need' to see justice done outweigh the harm that will once again be done to the victim? No one seems to even want to consider that possibility.

I couldn't give a flying fuck what happens to Polanski. If you saw any of his films and the female leads, you'd have figured him for a diddler immediately. Double-tap to the spinal cord and push him in the River Seine and the world wouldn't miss a beat, but be better off for his absence.

goof2 10-06-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 274906)

As I think my question clearly stated his fugitive status isn't a reward, releasing him without his having to come back and face justice is. There is a difference.

I think shmike summed it up but I will put it a different way, does his decision to be a fugitive in order to avoid prison constitute punishment?

Papa_Complex 10-06-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 274963)
As I think my question clearly stated his fugitive status isn't a reward, releasing him without his having to come back and face justice is. There is a difference.

I think shmike summed it up but I will put it a different way, does his decision to be a fugitive in order to avoid prison constitute punishment?

No, it doesn't. Now does his fugitive status warrant dragging someone who has managed to pull her life back together through shit that she took decades to put aside?

shmike 10-06-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 274965)
No, it doesn't. Now does his fugitive status warrant dragging someone who has managed to pull her life back together through shit that she took decades to put aside?

He pleaded guilty, I don't see why she needs to be involved at all.

It's not like they need her testimony.

Papa_Complex 10-06-2009 02:03 PM

The media is already involving her.

goof2 10-06-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

"Should Polanski be rewarded for remaining a fugitive for so long?" is what I said. Releasing him without his having to return and face justice would be the reward. See the difference?

The media may be involving the victim, but she was giving interviews about what happened a few years ago as well. I don't like that the victims are involved in any prosecution, much less victims of sexual abuse. It still doesn't mean the criminal shouldn't face justice.

Homeslice 10-06-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Yes, IMO.

Society is supposed to pursue and punish the guilty....... if not, then it hurts society in general because it might cause other people to ignore laws in the future. I think that's more important than the emotional well-being of a woman who may or may not give a damn anyway.

Papa_Complex 10-06-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 274973)
"Should Polanski be rewarded for remaining a fugitive for so long?" is what I said. Releasing him without his having to return and face justice would be the reward. See the difference?

The media may be involving the victim, but she was giving interviews about what happened a few years ago as well. I don't like that the victims are involved in any prosecution, much less victims of sexual abuse. It still doesn't mean the criminal shouldn't face justice.

Correction: It wouldn't be a punishment. That's significantly different from a reward.

goof2 10-06-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 274976)
Correction: It wouldn't be a punishment. That's significantly different from a reward.

The removal of having to face punishment is a reward.

askmrjesus 10-06-2009 03:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJPa4...layer_embedded

JC

pauldun170 10-06-2009 03:14 PM

He did the crime and should be punished but I think he should get a commemorative cup for remaining a fugitive for so long.

fnfalman 10-06-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Oh well, since that it's been only thirty years, a child fucking rapist should get an easy off because heaven forbids, it wouldn't do to bring unpleasant experiences to the victim again.

Maybe I should go on a killing/raping rampage myself and then go to bum freak non-extradition country for the next thirty years and then expect to be forgiven because the case would be "so old" by then.:wtfru:

Papa_Complex 10-06-2009 03:24 PM

There are times when people just so much don't get it, that the discussion is pointless.

goof2 10-06-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 275008)
There are times when people just so much don't get it, that the discussion is pointless.

I think everyone gets what you are saying. If the victim is saying she doesn't want to go through everything, should she have to? The answer from the board seems to be, if the crime is giving drugs to and raping a 13 year old, yes if necessary.

Where is the "don't get it"?

101lifts2 10-06-2009 04:10 PM

Why do the liberals on the board always find a way to side with the perp?

The whole point of this article was to show that the Hollywood elite backs their own no matter what they do. Pathetic IMO.

OneSickPsycho 10-06-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 274957)
I made no statement, but rather asked a question: Does the 'need' to see justice done outweigh the harm that will once again be done to the victim? No one seems to even want to consider that possibility.

I couldn't give a flying fuck what happens to Polanski. If you saw any of his films and the female leads, you'd have figured him for a diddler immediately. Double-tap to the spinal cord and push him in the River Seine and the world wouldn't miss a beat, but be better off for his absence.

To answer your question... Yes. Otherwise where would it stop? No victim of any violent crime should ever be prosecuted because it might bring back bad memories. I wonder how this chick felt every time he got an award or released a new film? What's worse... Reliving a bad memory that you most likely relive in some way every day anyway or knowing the perp is out there living an extravagant lifestyle while you've been so damaged? Not to mention all the jackoffs supporting this sick fuck.

Papa_Complex 10-06-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 275025)
I think everyone gets what you are saying. If the victim is saying she doesn't want to go through everything, should she have to? The answer from the board seems to be, if the crime is giving drugs to and raping a 13 year old, yes if necessary.

Where is the "don't get it"?

Immediately below your post is an excellent example. I'm done.

MissHell 10-06-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 274623)
He owes a debt to society for what he did to her.

Its inconsequential if she agrees with it now or not..

Agree 100%.

Smittie61984 10-09-2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 274670)

The United States is a nation of law. Not a nation of emotion. He broke the law and was caught. He should be sent back and tried for both the child molestation or "rape" (not rape-rape). And even if found innocent of the rape charges he should be charged for fleeing.

Papa_Complex 10-09-2009 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smittie61984 (Post 276155)
The United States is a nation of law. Not a nation of emotion. He broke the law and was caught. He should be sent back and tried for both the child molestation or "rape" (not rape-rape). And even if found innocent of the rape charges he should be charged for fleeing.

He was already tried and found guilty. Well, technically plead guilty, but it's still a trial.

goof2 10-09-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 276184)
He was already tried and found guilty. Well, technically plead guilty, but it's still a trial.

True, but as part of his plea deal he only plead guilty to one crime rather than the 6 he was originally charged with. Since running for 30 years wasn't part of the original plea deal I suspect they will hit him with everything again, requireing a new trial.

fnfalman 10-09-2009 10:59 AM

I say give him a trial and then hang the child rapist son of a cunt!!!

I don't give a fuck whether or not he's a talented "artist". If Leo Da Vinci himself were alive today and did the same shit, I'd burn the fucker at the stake myself.