Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Why no Harley squids? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=19903)

racedoll 08-13-2011 09:08 PM

Why no Harley squids?

Why do harley riders not get called squids? 98% of them around this area never wear gear/helmets. Do this on a sportbike and you are a squid. :shrug:

Tmall 08-13-2011 09:19 PM

Because they're called fags?

Corey 08-13-2011 09:28 PM

I thought squid was more about stupid shit someone did while riding rather than gear, like stunting in traffic.

Mikey 08-13-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 485426)
Why do harley riders not get called squids? 98% of them around this area never wear gear/helmets. Do this on a sportbike and you are a squid. :shrug:

Sportbike riders wear gear because it is functional. Things like jackets, boots, and full-face helmets are all there for a very real purpose.

Harley riders, by and large, are posers and accountants with a mid-life crisis that cruise really slowly to the local "bike night" and back once a week. Their life is all about image and rugged individuality, which is why they all dress like a bunch of gay pirates.

When asked if I ride a Harley, I always reply that I'm not old enough to ride one yet.

I'm 50.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 485432)
Their life is all about image and rugged individuality, which is why they all dress like a bunch of gay pirates.

Hilarious, because it's accurate.

jtemple 08-14-2011 10:22 AM

The harley riders I know are older guys that insist everything must be 'merican and a harley is the only "real" bike. They don't know what the term "squid" means.

azoomm 08-14-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Sportbike riders wear gear because it is functional. Things like jackets, boots, and full-face helmets are all there for a very real purpose.

Harley riders, by and large, are posers and accountants with a mid-life crisis that cruise really slowly to the local "bike night" and back once a week. Their life is all about image and rugged individuality, which is why they all dress like a bunch of gay pirates.

Interesting take on it.

I will say this - Harley has the market saturated. And, although they have more riders that go without protective gear, they also have more riders that are willing to get out there and ride. After going across the country, there are more riders out there on the open road on Harley Davidson's than any other bike.

Sportbikes say they ride. Bullshit, Harley riders do ride the fuck out of those bikes....

Sixxxxer 08-14-2011 02:12 PM

Well not everyone can be Jared and Log a Million miles on a sportbike...But We sure as fuck can try!

I get "Oh when are you gonna get a real bike" all the time...I usually reply with I didnt know it was fake?

Homeslice 08-14-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 485429)
Because they're called fags?

:lmao:

Mikey 08-14-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 485467)
Interesting take on it.

I will say this - Harley has the market saturated. And, although they have more riders that go without protective gear, they also have more riders that are willing to get out there and ride. After going across the country, there are more riders out there on the open road on Harley Davidson's than any other bike.

Sportbikes say they ride. Bullshit, Harley riders do ride the fuck out of those bikes....

Comparing cross-country riders on HDs to cross-country riders on supersports is not a fair comparison. There are other types of riding than superslab. Sportbikes are not well-suited to long stretches of straight roads any more than Electra-Glides are suited to track duty.

In all honesty, though, if I wanted to ride a really long way, I would be far more likely to do it on something like a Connie 14 or BMW than anything HD.

OneSickPsycho 08-14-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Interesting take on it.

It cuts both ways... You go to the big biker rallies and you'll see some guys that REALLY ride their machines... I will say this though... I've seen many more high mileage Harleys than I have just about any other bike... aside from maybe BMW's...

Homeslice 08-14-2011 06:49 PM

Since there are probably 2 or 3 times as many Harleys as sportbikes, it's rather obvious that there are going to be more high-mileage Harleys.

Also, sportbike riders are younger and ride more aggressively, so many of them get totalled before they get the chance to rack up high miles.

OneSickPsycho 08-14-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 485498)
Since there are probably 2 or 3 times as many Harleys as sportbikes, it's rather obvious that there are going to be more high-mileage Harleys.

Also, sportbike riders are younger and ride more aggressively, so many of them get totalled before they get the chance to rack up high miles.

It also seems as if HD riders keep their bikes longer... CL is loaded with sportbikes here... in fact, loaded with everything but HD bikes... probably at a 10:1 ratio... Sportbikes wear out around 20k anyway...

anthonyk 08-14-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

The fact that more sport bike riders wear more gear is just a happy accident, in my opinion. There are plenty of riders in both camps who are just trying to project an image (and only cruise to weekly bike night). It just happens that the racing-inspired sport bike image includes a full-face helmet.

racedoll 08-14-2011 08:31 PM

Some very differing takes on this.

Mikey 08-14-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 485505)
The fact that more sport bike riders wear more gear is just a happy accident, in my opinion. There are plenty of riders in both camps who are just trying to project an image (and only cruise to weekly bike night). It just happens that the racing-inspired sport bike image includes a full-face helmet.

You make a very good point there. I do love seeing the sportbike riders cruising around town in a pair of sunglasses, shorts, and a tank top with a helmet strapped to the side of the bike. I never got that one. :?:

Corey 08-14-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 485514)
You make a very good point there. I do love seeing the sportbike riders cruising around town in a pair of sunglasses, shorts, and a tank top with a helmet strapped to the side of the bike. I never got that one. :?:

How can you cruise the whores and show them who the badass on the fast bike is if they can't see your face?

azoomm 08-14-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 485505)

I think you might be right.

Real riders are few and far between. By "Real" I mean... people that are in it because they love to ride. Not because they like to play dress up, or have watched one too many movies OR even that feel they need to be seen/recognized for what they do. My favorite are the guys that got stuffed in lockers in high school that thought buying a bike would make them cool - that doesn't work.

HokieDNA01 08-14-2011 09:08 PM

Sport bike manufacturers come out with new updated models every year so people want the latest and greatest. Harleys never seem to change much. why sell your harley to buy a new one that is exactly the same?

Homeslice 08-14-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 485504)
Sportbikes wear out around 20k anyway...

So on average, a Japanese motor is going to wear out sooner than an American? I doubt it.

Sure, sportbikes are ridden harder, but they are designed for it.

In fact, the redline on a sportbike is so high and so unnecessary for street riding, that I bet the average sportbike doesn't see redline as often as the average Harley.

Gas Man 08-14-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Interesting take on it.

Eyes open

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 485485)
Comparing cross-country riders on HDs to cross-country riders on supersports is not a fair comparison. There are other types of riding than superslab. Sportbikes are not well-suited to long stretches of straight roads any more than Electra-Glides are suited to track duty.

In all honesty, though, if I wanted to ride a really long way, I would be far more likely to do it on something like a Connie 14 or BMW than anything HD.

I put on some honest miles and I know many more guys on HDs that out do me 10 fold. They are on their bikes nearly every day, every night, and go on big trips. I would, I simply don't have the free time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 485519)
Sport bike manufacturers come out with new updated models every year so people want the latest and greatest. Harleys never seem to change much. why sell your harley to buy a new one that is exactly the same?

So you proved you know little to nothing about HDs. Just for the FLH line alone off the top of my head...

2008 - fly by wire throttle, brembo brake controls, abs brakes option
2009 - new frame design, new forks, brembo brakes, new wheels size & design.
2010 - optional 103 CI motor, limited model offered
2011 - standard 103 CI motor, cat. converter exhaust

Just saying... you don't know and that was proven.

Why they aren't called squids?

Honestly, it's a decent question. I think as a whole it's a traditional thing. Understand, that these guys have been riding for far longer than the high tech gear has been around. Many of the HD riders are older (this is changing slowly) and in typical fashion of age, don't feel the need for added protection. The mentality that "they've made it this long without", reigns prevalent. Good bad or indifferent, you can't convince many of these old dudes.

This will be a different tone in the next 10 years. There is a different breed coming up. My breed. If you want to see this... come to the next rally in sep. :D

Particle Man 08-14-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

... Sportbikes wear out around 20k anyway...

oh shit... Mine's 10 overdue...
(It's not truly broken in until you go through at least one chain and sprocket set).

Captain Morgan 08-14-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Sportbikes wear out around 20k anyway...

Hope my v-strom isn't part of that "sportbike" class that wears out around 20k. I already have 10k on it and don't need it wearing out next year.

No Worries 08-15-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 485522)
...In fact, the redline on a sportbike is so high and so unnecessary for street riding, that I bet the average sportbike doesn't see redline as often as the average Harley.

The average sportbike's torque peak is around 10K. The average Harley's torque peak is just off idle. They don't need to go to redline.

HokieDNA01 08-15-2011 02:10 AM

Well my bike feels perfectly broken in at 24000 miles.

tommymac 08-15-2011 03:20 AM

Quote:

So on average, a Japanese motor is going to wear out sooner than an American? I doubt it.

In fact, the redline on a sportbike is so high and so unnecessary for street riding, that I bet the average sportbike doesn't see redline as often as the average Harley.

I think the question also is how well are they maintained? lotof these squids arent realy up on even basic maintenance, which even withthem being built very well usualy leads to soem sort of failure.

Gas Man 08-15-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Worries (Post 485546)
The average sportbike's torque peak is around 10K. The average Harley's torque peak is just off idle. They don't need to go to redline.

A man that has rode a v-twin

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 485552)
I think the question also is how well are they maintained? lotof these squids arent realy up on even basic maintenance, which even withthem being built very well usualy leads to soem sort of failure.

DING DING DING

There is no way you should consider any motor of modern day to end near 20k. With exception to race motors or something...

Trip 08-15-2011 09:27 AM

The reason most harley riders aren't squids is the whole reasoning behind squids. You just don't see that many riding like fucking idiots (It's the lack of gear + riding like a douche that makes a squid.) Harley riders are mostly noobs and fags. There is even a lot of them that ride plum across the country that can barely ride their fucking bike (I met a shit ton of them on my trip.) They just want to get to the bar in the next town and then they are happy.

Gas Man 08-15-2011 09:31 AM

Plus they aren't out there trying to go a zillion miles per hour.

tommymac 08-15-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 485575)
Plus they aren't out there trying to go a zillion miles per hour.

Thats the thing if youre going to ride like a complete asshat its a lot easier to do so on a sport bike vs a harley thats usualy a lot heavier and under powered compared to a sportbike

OneSickPsycho 08-15-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 485538)
oh shit... Mine's 10 overdue...
(It's not truly broken in until you go through at least one chain and sprocket set).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan (Post 485544)
Hope my v-strom isn't part of that "sportbike" class that wears out around 20k. I already have 10k on it and don't need it wearing out next year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 (Post 485549)
Well my bike feels perfectly broken in at 24000 miles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 485552)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 485563)
A man that has rode a v-twin

DING DING DING

There is no way you should consider any motor of modern day to end near 20k. With exception to race motors or something...

Just the sort of responses I was going for... I was kidding. ;)

Though, the maintenance point is a good one... Most HD's are much better maintained the the average sportbike...

tommymac 08-15-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 485583)
Just the sort of responses I was going for... I was kidding. ;)

Though, the maintenance point is a good one... Most HD's are much better maintained the the average sportbike...

I knew I would eventualyly make a good point :lol:

OneSickPsycho 08-15-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 485585)
I knew I would eventualyly make a good point :lol:

Only took 2 years and 9 months...

Trip 08-15-2011 11:57 AM

Harley equivalent of squid is definitely the poser noob.

It's the guys that take a MSF class and talk a big game about riding for 15-20 years and then fail to do the simplest tasks in the course. Some even ride across the country and have no basic skill to pilot a motorcycle. They always are dressed in head to toe HD gear and are always griping if a state has a helmet law. Education in any form is wasted on them. If it wasn't for flat interstate, they would be in serious trouble. Then they come to Deals Gap and go 5 mph and definitely will not use pulloffs.

I saw an awesome example two weeks ago when I was renewing my carry permit at the DMV. He was arguing with the DMV lady for failing his practical and screaming about how he had been riding for 17 years.

KSGregman 08-15-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 485606)
....and have no basic skill to pilot a motorcycle.

The same could be said for any sport bike "bike night" too....there will ALWAYS be douchebags standing around with their 1000cc RR's talking about how they rail....with rusty chains and squared off rear tires. Bikes that have OBVIOUSLY never been ridden in a competent manner...but they sure look cool standing there!!

I'm not convinced that douche-baggery is limited to a particular make and model of motorcycle, to be honest.

Trip 08-15-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSGregman (Post 485609)
The same could be said for any sport bike "bike night" too....there will ALWAYS be douchebags standing around with their 1000cc RR's talking about how they rail....with rusty chains and squared off rear tires. Bikes that have OBVIOUSLY never been ridden in a competent manner...but they sure look cool standing there!!

I'm not convinced that douche-baggery is limited to a particular make and model of motorcycle, to be honest.

Uh, that's why I said the HD equivalent for Squid...

There is no real particular word for HD equivalent, but they have them as I described them. South Park wanted to use fag and I am inclined to use that word for them too. LOL

OneSickPsycho 08-15-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSGregman (Post 485609)

There's a couple that have a stretched Gixxer 750... They take turns a couple times a week riding for about 5 minutes at a time. Pull out of the neighborhood... are gone for literally 5 minutes... then come back. Sometimes they switch immediately and do that once or twice, then again the next day. They have SERIOUS issues navigating the simple turn into and out of the allotment. I guess they could be just trying to practice, but no gear, shorts and wife beaters... always have cool sunglasses on.

OneSickPsycho 08-15-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 485606)
Harley equivalent of squid is definitely the poser noob.

It's the guys that take a MSF class and talk a big game about riding for 15-20 years and then fail to do the simplest tasks in the course. Some even ride across the country and have no basic skill to pilot a motorcycle. They always are dressed in head to toe HD gear and are always griping if a state has a helmet law. Education in any form is wasted on them. If it wasn't for flat interstate, they would be in serious trouble. Then they come to Deals Gap and go 5 mph and definitely will not use pulloffs.

I saw an awesome example two weeks ago when I was renewing my carry permit at the DMV. He was arguing with the DMV lady for failing his practical and screaming about how he had been riding for 17 years.

In all fairness though, a full up HD touring rig is not the best thing to be taking your test on... and frankly, those tests are bullshit anyway. All lowspeed manuvering... I'm a competent rider and I SUCK at the low speed stuff.

tommymac 08-15-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 485613)
In all fairness though, a full up HD touring rig is not the best thing to be taking your test on... and frankly, those tests are bullshit anyway. All lowspeed manuvering... I'm a competent rider and I SUCK at the low speed stuff.

yeah but youre in fla, you dont have any turns down there :lol:

OneSickPsycho 08-15-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 485616)
yeah but youre in fla, you dont have any turns down there :lol:

In FL, from OH... plenty of turns there... I miss it terribly. *sniff*

Trip 08-15-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

The MSF course is low speed. You use their little 125s and 250s for it.

The road test here is a little more practical. Basically proving you are road worthy, less doing circles in two parking spots.

Corey 08-15-2011 12:59 PM

I wouldn't dismiss the importance of the low speed stuff. Riding fast on a bike in normal situations (not track or twisties) is retard easy. The bike does all the work and you just hold on. The low speed shit is where the important stuff takes place, like throttle and clutch manipulation, balance, looking where you want to go, and so on are where the skill takes place. The low speed skills will translate up.

OneSickPsycho 08-15-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 485619)
The MSF course is low speed. You use their little 125s and 250s for it.

The road test here is a little more practical. Basically proving you are road worthy, less doing circles in two parking spots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 485622)
I wouldn't dismiss the importance of the low speed stuff. Riding fast on a bike in normal situations (not track or twisties) is retard easy. The bike does all the work and you just hold on. The low speed shit is where the important stuff takes place, like throttle and clutch manipulation, balance, looking where you want to go, and so on are where the skill takes place. The low speed skills will translate up.

Not dismissing it, but just saying that the test is bullshit. Pass or fail, doesn't necessarily indicate competency, especially considering different rigs. You roll up on a 9ft chopper and you're next to a guy on a 125cc dual sport... you are certainly not going to have as easy of a time with the course as that guy... It's like having to parallel park a dump truck, vs a economy car... both drivers could be equally skilled, but one guy showed up with the wrong tool.

And yes the MSF course is low speed, but it's also instructional. To get my license, I literally had to weave some cones, turn around in two parking spots, and stop in a box. Ridiculously easy... I do like what FL's doing... you get your license after the MSF course... so you are at least exposed to proper riding techniques.

Corey 08-15-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 485624)
Not dismissing it, but just saying that the test is bullshit. Pass or fail, doesn't necessarily indicate competency, especially considering different rigs. You roll up on a 9ft chopper and you're next to a guy on a 125cc dual sport... you are certainly not going to have as easy of a time with the course as that guy... It's like having to parallel park a dump truck, vs a economy car... both drivers could be equally skilled, but one guy showed up with the wrong tool.

And yes the MSF course is low speed, but it's also instructional. To get my license, I literally had to weave some cones, turn around in two parking spots, and stop in a box. Ridiculously easy... I do like what FL's doing... you get your license after the MSF course... so you are at least exposed to proper riding techniques.

I got my license down here in Florida through the MSF course prior to them really pushing the MSF course to new riders. I've seen some of the people who've taken the road test as opposed to the MSF course and wouldn't trust them on a moped, let alone any bike. They know enough to pass the road test, but have damn near no knowledge of defensive riding, accident avoidance, or reacting to an emergency situation. Not saying MSF make someone a fucking awesome rider, but they seem to be mildly less dangerous and slightly more prepared than someone who just went to pass a road test.

Trip 08-15-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 485624)

You should show up on the bike you are going to ride. If the guy can't navigate his 9 ton piece of shit, tough shit, get a bike you can ride.

Homeslice 08-15-2011 01:55 PM

Problem with MSF is, no experience in traffic. It's quite ludicrous that people are allowed to ride on the street after that little instruction.

racedoll 08-15-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 485526)
Why they aren't called squids?

Honestly, it's a decent question. I think as a whole it's a traditional thing. Understand, that these guys have been riding for far longer than the high tech gear has been around. Many of the HD riders are older (this is changing slowly) and in typical fashion of age, don't feel the need for added protection. The mentality that "they've made it this long without", reigns prevalent. Good bad or indifferent, you can't convince many of these old dudes.

This will be a different tone in the next 10 years. There is a different breed coming up. My breed. If you want to see this... come to the next rally in sep. :D

Finally, an answer to the original question that makes sense, not that the others didn't. I have enjoyed the way this thread has come and gone down different avenues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 485628)
You should show up on the bike you are going to ride. If the guy can't navigate his 9 ton piece of shit, tough shit, get a bike you can ride.

Amen! :dthumb:

Gas Man 08-15-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

I agree with your points here and after.

And on the point that most HDs are more well maintained. True again. 2 reasons, price paid for bike. Also, most that can afford a HD can afford to take care of it, further, are usually more "grown up".

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 485661)
Finally, an answer to the original question that makes sense, not that the others didn't. I have enjoyed the way this thread has come and gone down different avenues.

Amen! :dthumb:

Thank you.

Trip 08-15-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 485668)

And on the point that most HDs are more well maintained. True again. 2 reasons, price paid for bike. Also, most that can afford a HD can afford to take care of it, further, are usually more "grown up".

Again, if you ride a big bike, you better damn sure be able to manhandle it. If you can't pass a simple test on that big bike, you shouldn't be riding it.

I completely disagree with the more grown up comment. If anything they are just as fucking retarded or more so, just in a different way. They may not go around doing triple digits, but a lot of them are more than willing to ride around after a few beers. I would label that extremely less "grown up" than speeding.

Tmall 08-15-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 485668)

Thank you.

Ease of maintenance definitely helps.

Honestly Gas, how long would it take you to change both sumps on your bike if you didn't keep such detailed records? 15 minutes?

Gas Man 08-15-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 485674)
Again, if you ride a big bike, you better damn sure be able to manhandle it. If you can't pass a simple test on that big bike, you shouldn't be riding it.

I completely disagree with the more grown up comment. If anything they are just as fucking retarded or more so, just in a different way. They may not go around doing triple digits, but a lot of them are more than willing to ride around after a few beers. I would label that extremely less "grown up" than speeding.

I'm referring to money and respect for the machine... not riding style.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 485675)
Ease of maintenance definitely helps.

Honestly Gas, how long would it take you to change both sumps on your bike if you didn't keep such detailed records? 15 minutes?

2 sumps?

An HD has 3 oil holes.

And changing the oil is never the complete amount of service.

Trip 08-15-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 485679)
I'm referring to money and respect for the machine... not riding style.

I agree with that, most sportbike guys beat the ever living shit out of their bikes. Cost and youth plays a big part of that as you said.

Gas Man 08-16-2011 08:48 AM

Mark it down. Trip agreed with me.

Fleck750 08-16-2011 12:59 PM

So what really make a motorcyclist? Lots of miles ridden? Willing to ride in any weather?

Most people think we are insane to even be on a bike. I think that's what makes us motorcyclists. Insanity. :)

Particle Man 08-16-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleck750 (Post 485801)
So what really make a motorcyclist? Lots of miles ridden? Willing to ride in any weather?

Most people think we are insane to even be on a bike. I think that's what makes us motorcyclists. Insanity. :)

Truth

azoomm 08-16-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

I think if you're willing to ride it. That means, at the track - on the road - wherever, but the want to ride it for the sake of riding. Not to be seen, or want to please anyone but yourself.

Last week, sitting at a picnic table right off the main drag at Sturgis. We had gotten food from a street vendor and I wanted to sit down to eat it. I spotted a huge picnic table being used by two people. I just walked up and asked if we could join them all the time assuming they knew eachother. They didn't. After we got to talking about where were from. Paula stated she was there from Ohio, Meg and I from Austin, there was another assumption that we all rode there. The lone man at the table chimed in that he was from San Jose, CA. He had flown to Rapid City and was riding a friend's bike that was trailered in for him. He went on to spout how important he was, he owned a business and couldn't take "extra" time off.

Paula [age 68] looked at him with a dead-pan look on her face... "Important, huh? Well, you're still a pussy." :lol:

He was there playing dress-up. That does not a rider make.

Captain Morgan 08-16-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 485821)
I think if you're willing to ride it. That means, at the track - on the road - wherever, but the want to ride it for the sake of riding. Not to be seen, or want to please anyone but yourself.

Last week, sitting at a picnic table right off the main drag at Sturgis. We had gotten food from a street vendor and I wanted to sit down to eat it. I spotted a huge picnic table being used by two people. I just walked up and asked if we could join them all the time assuming they knew eachother. They didn't. After we got to talking about where were from. Paula stated she was there from Ohio, Meg and I from Austin, there was another assumption that we all rode there. The lone man at the table chimed in that he was from San Jose, CA. He had flown to Rapid City and was riding a friend's bike that was trailered in for him. He went on to spout how important he was, he owned a business and couldn't take "extra" time off.

Paula [age 68] looked at him with a dead-pan look on her face... "Important, huh? Well, you're still a pussy." :lol:

He was there playing dress-up. That does not a rider make.

Too funny. Just like that cartoon someone posted about sportbikers vs harley riders.

Gas Man 08-16-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan (Post 485838)
Too funny. Just like that cartoon someone posted about sportbikers vs harley riders.

Not a harley vs a sportbike. A rider vs a poser.

Captain Morgan 08-16-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 485906)
Not a harley vs a sportbike. A rider vs a poser.

I understand what you're saying, but the video was about harley vs. sportbike. http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=19859

Fleck750 08-17-2011 12:47 AM

I ride purely for the enjoyment of it, but I like playing dress up, too. :bonk:

Only on the bike can I fool someone into thinking I'm a bad azz mofo with my leather jacket, Slayer helmet and my Icon TiMax metal gloves. :D

I take it all off and I'm a middle aged, overweight graying woman that smiles at everyone. :lmao:

tommymac 08-17-2011 06:59 AM

I think everyone who rides considers themselves bikers, its what all the other bikers may think.

Like the bmw or gold wing rider who does over 20k miles a year will look down on the giuy on a blinged out gsxr who only rides to bike night to look cool.

OneSickPsycho 08-17-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Apparently for most it's about feeling superior to someone else... Bikers are cooler than non-bikers... HD riders are cooler than sportbike riders... Sportbike riders are cooler than HD riders... People who ride tens of thousands of miles every year are cooler than those who ride around the block once a month... Riders who ride across the country to a rally are cooler than the guy who doesn't have a job flexible enough to do that AND enjoy the rally.

At least, that's what I'm getting out of this thread. For me, it's a passion for motorcycles. The machine you decide to put between your legs is as insignificant to me as what flavor of ice cream you like. The gear you wear or decide not to wear is as insignificant to me as the color of your shoestrings.

I love bikes... I love to look at bikes... I love to ride bikes... I love to talk bikes... I love to tinker on bikes... I love to dream about bikes... I like 'em all to some varying degree... can't say as I've ever seen a bike that didn't intrigue me in some way or another... Then again, I'm certainly not cooler than anyone... and my unwillingness to shit on someone else for their bike/gear/riding style is further proof of that I guess.

Corey 08-17-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 485945)
Apparently for most it's about feeling superior to someone else... Bikers are cooler than non-bikers... HD riders are cooler than sportbike riders... Sportbike riders are cooler than HD riders... People who ride tens of thousands of miles every year are cooler than those who ride around the block once a month... Riders who ride across the country to a rally are cooler than the guy who doesn't have a job flexible enough to do that AND enjoy the rally.

At least, that's what I'm getting out of this thread. For me, it's a passion for motorcycles. The machine you decide to put between your legs is as insignificant to me as what flavor of ice cream you like. The gear you wear or decide not to wear is as insignificant to me as the color of your shoestrings.

I love bikes... I love to look at bikes... I love to ride bikes... I love to talk bikes... I love to tinker on bikes... I love to dream about bikes... I like 'em all to some varying degree... can't say as I've ever seen a bike that didn't intrigue me in some way or another... Then again, I'm certainly not cooler than anyone... and my unwillingness to shit on someone else for their bike/gear/riding style is further proof of that I guess.

Fucking this.

Except Publix Premium brand Key Lime Pie ice cream is the superior flavor of ice cream. The key lime pie flavor, mixed with swirls of vanilla ice cream and chunks of graham mixed in make it the flavor that exceeds all others. I will also accept Ben and Jerry's Boston Creme Pie ice cream.

OneSickPsycho 08-17-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 485956)
Fucking this.

Except Publix Premium brand Key Lime Pie ice cream is the superior flavor of ice cream. The key lime pie flavor, mixed with swirls of vanilla ice cream and chunks of graham mixed in make it the flavor that exceeds all others. I will also accept Ben and Jerry's Boston Creme Pie ice cream.

I'm a plain vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry kind of guy...

tommymac 08-17-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 485958)
I'm a plain vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry kind of guy...

you are obviouslyt an inferior ice cream eater if thats all you eat :lol:

OneSickPsycho 08-17-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 485960)
you are obviouslyt an inferior ice cream eater if thats all you eat :lol:

Obviously...

At least I have a sportbike...

tommymac 08-17-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 485961)
Obviously...

At least I have a sportbike...

I do too :)

OneSickPsycho 08-17-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 485964)
I do too :)

Oh yeah... whatever...

tommymac 08-17-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 485967)
Oh yeah... whatever...

but I dont have no stinkin hardley either :lol:

azoomm 08-17-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 485945)

Jesus Christ, you want a hug too? Or, just the cookie?

:lol

Trip 08-17-2011 11:08 AM

i hope we all can agree, trike people aren't motorcyclists
(handicapped exception doesn't apply, they must get moto with side car, not a fucking trike), neither are those scooter bastards.

tommymac 08-17-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 485974)
(handicapped exception doesn't apply, they must get moto with side car, not a fucking trike), neither are those scooter bastards.

I prety much agree, if someone has a handicap I can see them riding a can am or something. However a person who gets that and/or a scooter as a primary motorcycle def not.

azoomm 08-17-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

And, those CanAm assholes.

Corey 08-17-2011 11:13 AM

CanAm people aren't motorcyclists. They're snowmobilers with a mental deficiency.

tommymac 08-17-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 485981)
And, those CanAm assholes.

I hate those comercials too, they try to play it up like theyre motorcyclists

Tmall 08-17-2011 11:25 AM

I love seeing the big smile on a can am rider's face as he throws the wave, then he gets a scowling "go fuck yourself" in return.

In case you didn't get the memo, BI-kes have two wheels.

Trip 08-17-2011 11:26 AM

Nothing screams "I have no business operating any type of motor vehicle" like a purple trike Goldwing with a 60 year old lady on the bars.

OneSickPsycho 08-17-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 485972)
Jesus Christ, you want a hug too? Or, just the cookie?

:lol

No cookie thank you... I just get incredibly annoyed when people think they are better than other people... especially when they clearly are not.

Trip 08-17-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 485991)
No cookie thank you... I just get incredibly annoyed when people think they are better than other people... especially when they clearly are not.

we are better than you.

OneSickPsycho 08-17-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 485992)
we are better than you.

Huge surprise there... I'm the worst ever... that doesn't mean you're better than everyone else though...

Trip 08-17-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 485994)
Huge surprise there... I'm the worst ever... that doesn't mean you're better than everyone else though...

yes it does, they suck

Gas Man 08-17-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan (Post 485909)
I understand what you're saying, but the video was about harley vs. sportbike. http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=19859

I know what you mean I just don't agree it's the same here.

Quote:

Can't agree. My handicapped uncle, paralyzed from the waist down, rides a trike. He sits down, straps his walker to the back, and goes on his way.

Mikey 08-17-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 485987)
I love seeing the big smile on a can am rider's face as he throws the wave, then he gets a scowling "go fuck yourself" in return.

In case you didn't get the memo, BI-kes have two wheels.

I'd wave to someone on a Can-Am.

Of course, I'd take one for a spin in a heartbeat too, just for the fuck of it.

Trip 08-17-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 486107)
Can't agree. My handicapped uncle, paralyzed from the waist down, rides a trike. He sits down, straps his walker to the back, and goes on his way.

Tell him to get a sidecar rig. Only acceptable three wheel motorcycle. Trikes are gay.

The dude we saw at indy, rolled ride into his side car and hoped on a real bike.

azoomm 08-17-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 486128)
I'd wave to someone on a Can-Am.

Of course, I'd take one for a spin in a heartbeat too, just for the fuck of it.

You know how we know you're gay?

:nee:

Gas Man 08-17-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 486131)
Tell him to get a sidecar rig. Only acceptable three wheel motorcycle. Trikes are gay.

The dude we saw at indy, rolled ride into his side car and hoped on a real bike.

I simply say... trikes are only good for handicap and MAYBE if you're old enough to draw social security.

I do agree that side cars are way cooler!

azoomm 08-17-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 486139)
I simply say... trikes are only good for handicap and MAYBE if you're old enough to draw social security.

I do agree that side cars are way cooler!

Pfffffffffffft.

So, if they are so old they can't ride - they should still ride but drive a trike? I don't think those people should drive cars let alone anything else.

Meet Gloria Struck. She started riding when she was 16, and is currently 86 years old. She rides a Harley Davidson Heritage. She lives in New Jersey and is the oldest and longest serving member of ANY motorcycle riding club. Gloria has been a member of the Motor Maids since 1946.

I want to be her when I grow up...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...1/P8070018.jpg

Mikey 08-17-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 486136)
You know how we know you're gay?

:nee:

My dick tastes like shit? :lol:

I think they look like fun. Probably not as fun as a real motorcycle, but could be fun in a different way. I'm a little odd, I guess.

101lifts2 08-18-2011 04:01 PM

This is simple...Harley riders are not usually fucking punks. The sportbike crowd is full of them.

1. Helmet fur.
2. Helmet hair.
3. Loud exhaust that is heard by constantly revving the engine.
4. Wheeling on freeway or blocking the freeways to wheelie.
5. Speeding
6. Running from cops
7. ICON chest protector with a t-shirt
8. Tail way up in the air
9. License plate near the shock
10. Tinted windscreen
11. Stoppies
12. Constantly passing cars for no reason

That should sum it up.

tached1000rr 08-18-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 486228)
This is simple...Harley riders are not usually fucking punks. The sportbike crowd is full of them.

1. Helmet fur.
2. Helmet hair.
5. Speeding
6. Running from cops
10. Tinted windscreen
11. Stoppies

That should sum it up.

you gotta say #3 is tie for both crowds

Squiddle me this.

1959 Harley

Sixxxxer 08-18-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

1. Helmet fur.
2. Helmet hair.
5. Speeding
6. Running from cops
10. Tinted windscreen
11. Stoppies

That should sum it up.

All done by Harley Riders...Somewhere in the world. And 4 and 11 Just arent possible or I'm sure We'd see more Harley's that can wheelie...(And I'm talking Full dresser harleys) I have seen a sportster lift the tire but I wouldnt call it a "wheelie" by any means.

And I dont know what 8 means...?

So...Whats your point?

Sixxxxer 08-18-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 486168)
Pfffffffffffft.

So, if they are so old they can't ride - they should still ride but drive a trike? I don't think those people should drive cars let alone anything else.

Meet Gloria Struck. She started riding when she was 16, and is currently 86 years old. She rides a Harley Davidson Heritage. She lives in New Jersey and is the oldest and longest serving member of ANY motorcycle riding club. Gloria has been a member of the Motor Maids since 1946.

I want to be her when I grow up...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...1/P8070018.jpg

holy shit that looks like my Fucking Aunt...Lol

Corey 08-18-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

1. Helmet fur.
2. Helmet hair.
5. Speeding
6. Running from cops
10. Tinted windscreen
11. Stoppies

That should sum it up.

I see plenty of Harley riders wearing minimal, but the sportbike riders, especially here in Florida, wear way less. I can't even begin to count the number of sportbike idiots wearing flip flops, shorts, maybe a shirt, no helmet, maybe sunglasses, and maybe a hat. The shirt and shades appears to be optional if the weather or superfluous if the temps go above 90.

Gas Man 08-18-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 486230)

YUM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 486235)

All done by Harley Riders...Somewhere in the world. And 4 and 11 Just arent possible or I'm sure We'd see more Harley's that can wheelie...(And I'm talking Full dresser harleys) I have seen a sportster lift the tire but I wouldnt call it a "wheelie" by any means.

So...Whats your point?

I know a few guys at the dealership nearby that do wheelies on full dressers... remember, they are torque bikes.
http://www.furyforums.com/forum/atta...lh-wheelie.jpg
http://p1m.mbike.com/001/001/248/Harley_wheelie_d.jpg
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/attach...ide-wheely.jpg

Video's all over the net.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtAf2...eature=related

Plus lets not forget this video... :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5a0LIspQuk

Tmall 08-18-2011 10:07 PM

I love how the guy in the last video blips the throttle when he's pulling up to the first dude. Then 5 seconds later he downshifts...

shmike 08-18-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 486236)
holy shit that looks like my Fucking Aunt...Lol

Is your aunt Indian Larry? :confused:

101lifts2 08-19-2011 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 486235)

So...Whats your point?

Dude it's far and few in-between.

And number 8 is a fender eliminator...lol

And I'm not buying that any Harley rider wore helmet fur.

I'm pretty sure the first fender ever to be "eliminated" was off a Harley too.

Bobber, or chopper.