Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1994 Ducati m900 (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=18454)

azoomm 03-04-2011 09:49 AM

1994 Ducati m900

Ugh. Electrical. I hate electrical.

This bike has been sitting. Like, for YEARS sitting while it gets redone. It's been one ridiculous thing after another. I'm a little over it.

Then, I rode it last weekend. Charged up the relatively new battery and went for a ride. Damn but I love this bike. It's angry, it's strange, it's LOUD... damn but I love this bike.

But, it has a problem, and I'm hoping y'all have another idea of what is wrong rather than what I suspect is wrong.

Symptom: Battery light stays on the entire ride. If I don't put the Battery Tender on the bike overnight the battery was dead the next morning.

My solution: Get a new battery.

Charged it. Went for a long ride. Battery light still stayed on the entire ride. Put the bike on the Tender after the ride [now a habit, as I don't know when I'm going to get back on it again] - light on Tender is red... takes a while [hours] to go to green.

Problem not fixed.

VERY simple bike on an electrical scale. No turn signals, no fancy schmancy computer, just a simple harness with 1993 Ducati technology.

Ideas?

dubbs 03-04-2011 09:51 AM

Seems like the generator/alternator is bad. My batt light stayed on, on my car when my crank pulley flew off and the belt that was supposed to run my alternator wasn't there anymore..

Easy way to check would be get a volt meter on the battery and start the bike.. give it some revs and see if the volts jump up within spec.

Dave 03-04-2011 09:54 AM

Dying stator. Blade has the same thing going on. Always an adventure when I take her to work :lol:

Trip 03-04-2011 09:54 AM

charging system or a short in the wiring

derf 03-04-2011 09:55 AM

Return it and get something not ducati?

Are there any broken wires? Positive wires that are being grounded? Something is sucking power somewhere

azoomm 03-04-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 454332)
Return it and get something not ducati?

Are there any broken wires? Positive wires that are being grounded? Something is sucking power somewhere

:lol:

I already have others. This is my red-headed step-child. She's the one I love to hate. We've tried selling, and no offer is ever good enough for my husband so I won't sell it.

I've traced, wiring is clean. Unfortunately.

I first thought rectifier, this model requires more than just a parts swap with that, so I was hoping someone had more ideas.

Boo.

Dave 03-04-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 454380)
:lol:

I already have others. This is my red-headed step-child. She's the one I love to hate. We've tried selling, and no offer is ever good enough for my husband so I won't sell it.

I've traced, wiring is clean. Unfortunately.

I first thought rectifier, this model requires more than just a parts swap with that, so I was hoping someone had more ideas.

Boo.

Have you pulled all the grounds and given them a once over with a dremel/wire brush? Can have some miraculous effects at times

shmike 03-04-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 454380)

That was my first thought too.

If the wiring is good, then look at RR or stator. 99% chance it is one of the two.

My first thought was rectifier too, I'd replace that first.

Rangerscott 03-04-2011 02:37 PM

As said before with cars. If the alt isnt putting out enough juicet then the alt light will stay on. I think itll also come on if its overcharging.

I wouldnt think its the rec since its connected after the stator.