Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Spark plugs? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=7382)

Yamerhaw 04-11-2009 09:46 AM

Spark plugs?

What kind of spark plugs do you run in your bike? I just use whatever came in the bike, but is there something better that will make a noticeable improvement?, getting ready to change them, and thought i might try something else, i've heard real good things about E3 plugs?

askmrjesus 04-11-2009 10:19 AM

Tons of bullshit spark plug claims out there, most are just that, bullshit.

Stock works just fine, unless you've changed something.

If you've added a complete exhaust system, you may want to drop a couple of heat ranges to keep head temp down, but other than that- it's a spark plug- as long as a spark comes out one end, you're good.

I have indexed plugs on two strokes, (adding washers to get the plug gap to face the intake ports) but I wouldn't recommended it on an I4, unless you have a dyno, and shit loads of time of your hands. Even then, you'd be lucky to get 1HP for every 100HP you started with.

JC

marko138 04-11-2009 11:10 AM

I use Harley-Davidson 10R12A. Those probly won't work for you. :lol:

TommyHotWheel 04-11-2009 11:16 AM

Brisk or NGK Iridium...and I index all of my plugs, its an OCD type thing.

Amber Lamps 04-11-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel (Post 195434)
Brisk or NGK Iridium...and I index all of my plugs, its an OCD type thing.

I thought about Brisk but for the money,I ended up with NGK Iridium.

racedoll 04-11-2009 01:18 PM

I use NGK.

BobTheBiker 04-11-2009 01:26 PM

I run Bosch or NGK. they're the only plugs I'll trust. anything I see with champion plugs, I'm visiting autozone instantly for NGKs. only thing on earth I trust champions in is a lawn mower, and even then I dont.

101lifts2 04-11-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 195417)
...If you've added a complete exhaust system, you may want to drop a couple of heat ranges to keep head temp down, but other than that- it's a spark plug- as long as a spark comes out one end, you're good....

Spark plug heat ranges have almost no effect on the actual combustion temperatures unless the plug causes preignition or incomplete combustion.

You should use whatever plug is recommended by the OEM since fuel injected engines can control the A/F ratio in a much narrower range than a carb.

askmrjesus 04-11-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel (Post 195434)
I index all of my plugs, its an OCD type thing.

Yes, but which way do you point them?

"Conventional Wisdom" dictates that you point the gap toward the intake (so the ground strap doesn't block the air/fuel mixture) but some engine configurations seem to work better with the gap facing the outlet valves. :shrug:

JC

Rangerscott 04-11-2009 03:55 PM

I put in NGK iridium cause I dont feel like hassling with them for awhile.

A spark plug is only as good as the ignitions source. You can put in the world's most expensive plugs but they will only spark with what can be delivered to them from the coil packs/distributer.

Upgrade your whole ignition system and you will see an improvement.