Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A personal example of how full gear can save your ass! (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=17604)

DLIT 12-21-2010 05:31 PM

A personal example of how full gear can save your ass!

On the 11th of this month I had a nice, high speed off and met a curb at the lake out here. A road I've been on probably close to a hundred times. They had just repaved a new section and this was probably my 10th time hitting it.

So I'm going through this left sweeper and transitioning into a right sweeper. With me, sweepers mean high speeds. My limits are higher than most, but I always stay within them on the street. I honestly believe my speed had nothing to do with the initial part of the wreck, when I lowsided. While transitioning, my front end just said PEACE! No feedback...nothing. I was initiating my lean to the right and it just went out from under me.

Now, my speed played a role in what happened next. I lowsided and started slidng. I was on my back and lifting my head to find out where my trajectory was gonna take me. I've always wondered how it felt to slide in leathers, after seeing the pros do it for years. It actually wasn't bad at all. Then I saw the curb I was heading to. All I could do was lift my head so it wouldn't hit it and shut my eyes. I opened my eyes at the bottom of the hill, tried standing up but I started getting dizzy and layed back down.

I was riding with one dude I had met that day. Luckily, a couple in a truck stopped after they saw the dust from my R1 flipping around and whatnot. They had Onstar and called the paramedics for me. The cell reception is shit out there.

Here's some pics and morte description...

Here's the point of impact shot. You can see I was no where near the apex when the bike lowsided on me. You can follow the marks where the bike went. The part where there wasn't a curb. You can kinda see the sliding marks from my leathers too.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/51e7f1e5.jpg

Here's another angle. You can see my sliding marks...heading towards where the two angled of the curb meet. Hit it with my right side. My shoulder grazed it and my upper hip took most of the impact. Probably the reason why I have three fractured vertebrae in my lower back.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/edaecbf6.jpg

I hit the curb, went over it and came to rest here, about 25 feet from the road. Fully concious the whole time, just being still.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/912b7f99.jpg

Another angle from the road.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/51e54460.jpg

Here's a headlight from the R1. Look how far away from me it is. I,m where the person wearing white is.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/35f14004.jpg

The bike I'm impressed with the damage. This was just after it was picked up and put on its stand.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/ce4369ff.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/be1e88b0.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/9ba81410.jpg

And I had just put the black forks on it the week prior. Some dude traded with me.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...IEN/Garage.jpg

Got a flight to the trauma center because it was so far away, it woulda taken an ambulance about an hour to get there,
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/0808dccd.jpg

As she sits in my garage.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/4cfab4af.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/1be245d8.jpg

The damage to me?
-Abrasion on my right shoulder blade where it hit the curb. The scab is pretty much gone now
-Jammed pinky pretty good. Able to fully move it now.
-A couple abrasions on my legs. Most likely where the hard parts of the bike got me when I was lowsiding. My suit has shin protection, but one big abrasion was on my right shin.
-Three fractured vertebrae in my lower back. Still suffering from it. Getting around on crutches just fine. Took some steps without the crutches. Possible, but still sore whenever I transfer weight from leg to leg. Laying down in my bed, no pain at all.

DLIT 12-21-2010 05:35 PM

I'll have to get the pics of my suit up later. It's starting to get painful, sitting upright in this chair.

dReWpY 12-21-2010 05:35 PM

Damn man, heal up and be safe

Archren 12-21-2010 05:43 PM

Glad to hear you're still in one piece, man... take it easy and heal up.

Particle Man 12-21-2010 06:17 PM

First: holy crap - heal up fast and glad you're okay(ish)

Second: dumb question maybe, but why the hell is there a curb in the middle of freaking nowhere...??

njchopper87 12-21-2010 07:37 PM

Shit.. I hope you heal up fast. I'm happy it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Mikey 12-21-2010 08:18 PM

Glad you're around to tell the story. Good luck with the healing process.

DLIT 12-21-2010 08:28 PM

Thanks, guys. I think I'm healing up pretty good so far. More bored to death than anything. Got a Netflix account and watching a bunch of shit. Mostly documentaries. Good one on Troy Bayliss' career up until 2004.

ericr 12-21-2010 08:34 PM

"Holy shit" was my first though on seeing the bike! Glad you were geared up man, could have been way worse!

Weird place for the front end to wash too, I wonder if there was something on the road there? Doesn't look like there would have been enough lean angle.... unless you were doing 200mph+ (just what is your limit?) :lol:

Heal up quick dude :dthumb:

tached1000rr 12-21-2010 08:43 PM

get better soon!

DLIT 12-21-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericr (Post 434942)
"Holy shit" was my first though on seeing the bike! Glad you were geared up man, could have been way worse!

Weird place for the front end to wash too, I wonder if there was something on the road there? Doesn't look like there would have been enough lean angle.... unless you were doing 200mph+ (just what is your limit?) :lol:

Heal up quick dude :dthumb:

Well, my buddy that picked the bike up said there was a bit of gravel in the road, like the shit that falls out of a dump truck. I was moving pretty good. There had to have been something in the road, man. It felt too damn weird.

Trip 12-21-2010 10:00 PM

How long was it on fire, looks a little crispy

How hot was it that day, the new asphalt could of seeped some and tucked the front end pretty easy.

Rangerscott 12-21-2010 10:00 PM

Glad you're ok man. I hate see a downed rider. Keep the pills poppin and the alcy flowing.

I know it's early but I'll take the front end off your hands. :dribble:

ontwo 12-21-2010 10:11 PM

Glad you're ok dude

101lifts2 12-21-2010 11:04 PM

Wow dude...another 5 feet and you would have missed that curb. Weird place to put a curb....dust gets on the road and can't get off. Makes no sense.

Bike is thrashed...but expected if it's going end over end. Sweeper looks long and in seeing other videos of you 110 doesn't seem uncommon.

Is the back gonna heal all good? What did the surgeon say?

DLIT 12-21-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 434963)
How long was it on fire, looks a little crispy

How hot was it that day, the new asphalt could of seeped some and tucked the front end pretty easy.

Never caught fire. It was around 70 out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 435023)
Wow dude...another 5 feet and you would have missed that curb. Weird place to put a curb....dust gets on the road and can't get off. Makes no sense.

Bike is thrashed...but expected if it's going end over end. Sweeper looks long and in seeing other videos of you 110 doesn't seem uncommon.

Is the back gonna heal all good? What did the surgeon say?

Should be fully recovered in a few months. I didn't have any surgery.

And to whoever was asking about the front end...it's a little twisted. Haven't looked at it too closely to see what else is fucked yet.

Trip 12-21-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 435048)
Never caught fire. It was around 70 out.

Guess it's just mud.

Yeah guess it wasn't slick from heat. Yeah most likely gravel or other foreign objects.

Triple 12-21-2010 11:31 PM

You mentioned having recently installed a new set of forks.

Have you ever done this before? Improperly torqued steering head bearings can create the vagueness in the front-end you described. I had a few mid-corner "oh shit" moments after swapping GSXR forks onto my SV and this was why.

DLIT 12-21-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple (Post 435052)

Have you ever done this before? Improperly torqued steering head bearings can create the vagueness in the front-end you described. I had a few mid-corner "oh shit" moments after swapping GSXR forks onto my SV and this was why.

The forks slide right in the triple trees. No need to losen the steering head nut/bearings. This was my 4th run with the new forks, didn't feel anything weird previously.

t-homo 12-21-2010 11:39 PM

glad you are going to be ok man. always weird when someone doesn't post for a while. Could mean they got bored of the forum, or had a fatal wreck and we would never know.

Quote:

he did the exact same swap on his 09ish r6. sitting right next to the r1 in the pic.

DLIT 12-21-2010 11:43 PM

I was bored of the forum. I still checked in from time to time, just never posted anything. Psycho hit me up on Facebook, told me to make a thread.

I wanted to relay the importance of gear. If you have it, wear it. If you don't, buy it and wear it.

Triple 12-21-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 435054)
The forks slide right in the triple trees. No need to losen the steering head nut/bearings. This was my 4th run with the new forks, didn't feel anything weird previously.

Gotcha. My swap required a new triple tree assembly as well.

DLIT 12-21-2010 11:50 PM

Here's the shiner on my hip.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/3a00a3ce.jpg

DLIT 12-21-2010 11:56 PM

My right hip/upper thigh. No holes, leather held up great.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/0eeaf89b.jpg

Other pics...
Right shoulder, also hit the curb. The armor protected my shoulder well.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/481d173a.jpg

Right elbow
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/bcc64854.jpg

That's the worst damage. The paramedics had to cut the suit off me. Sucks.

Trip 12-22-2010 12:03 AM

wow, you went for a quick slide.

Ninjakel 12-22-2010 12:06 AM

wow dude. Very glad that you are ok,......that's some crazy shit!

Heal up quick!

OneSickPsycho 12-22-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 434902)
First: holy crap - heal up fast and glad you're okay(ish)

Second: dumb question maybe, but why the hell is there a curb in the middle of freaking nowhere...??

That was my first thought as well, but I'd imagine it has something to do with water run off to avoid the road flooding in those torrential downpours that cause flash floods in the desert. Or I could be making that shit up.

z06boy 12-22-2010 09:13 AM

Looking at the bike...:jd: :no:

Reading your post...:shmike:...glad you pretty much came out ok.

dubbs 12-22-2010 09:23 AM

So how fast were you actually going? Kinda scary that the front end just washed out like that. Makes me a little nervous now to go out especially in these below freezing temps..

z06boy 12-22-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbs (Post 435143)
So how fast were you actually going? Kinda scary that the front end just washed out like that. Makes me a little nervous now to go out especially in these below freezing temps..

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 434961)
Well, my buddy that picked the bike up said there was a bit of gravel in the road, like the shit that falls out of a dump truck. I was probably going between 110-120. There had to have been something in the road, man. It felt too damn weird.

:slide:

dubbs 12-22-2010 09:39 AM

woops.. I knew i missed it somewhere, just couldn't find it.

marko138 12-22-2010 09:40 AM

Shit brother. Glad you're alright.

OTB 12-22-2010 09:40 AM

First off, SHit! how did i miss this thread... and DLIT, I am so sorry.

I am going to take a WAG (wild-assed guess) about the cause of the crash.

You said that in the transition from left to right the front end just "went away"; without more details it's just a guess, but bikes like the R1 (short wheelbase, little rake, short trail) can do a little "pogo" type thing where when you've popped from full lean to full lean side-to-side the suspension unweights for a second at the top of the transition.... a lot of it has to do with if you are trail braking or on throttle and in that photo, it appears that the direction of travel is slightly downhill which also contributes to the unweighting on the front.

Doesn't take much at racetrack speeds. Rushing even slightly downhill causes the vectors to change NOT in your favor.

Just guessing without more data. But I've lost the front in similar situations on bikes i was familiar with, on roads I "Knew".

z06boy 12-22-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbs (Post 435147)
woops.. I knew i missed it somewhere, just couldn't find it.

:cheers:

DLIT 12-22-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTB (Post 435150)

You said that in the transition from left to right the front end just "went away"; without more details it's just a guess, but bikes like the R1 (short wheelbase, little rake, short trail) can do a little "pogo" type thing where when you've popped from full lean to full lean side-to-side the suspension unweights for a second at the top of the transition.... a lot of it has to do with if you are trail braking or on throttle and in that photo, it appears that the direction of travel is slightly downhill which also contributes to the unweighting on the front.

Just guessing without more data. But I've lost the front in similar situations on bikes i was familiar with, on roads I "Knew".

Not a bad guess. I wasn't trail braking. I just use my lean to scrub speed off if need be. But you could be right. I still think I should've felt some feedback. I was already leaning right. Who knows. Important thing is I'm here still. I'll proly never ride street again. I don't have fun unless I'm hauling ass, but I can't risk getting that lucky again. My gear and a metric fuck ton of luck saved my ass.

azoomm 12-22-2010 10:25 AM

Wow. So relieved you're still with us. Shit, those pictures are incredible.

Heal quickly and completely...

julie j 12-22-2010 10:39 AM

That is one hell of a story. Glad you are still here to tell it. I hope you heal quickly!

Dnyce 12-22-2010 11:53 AM

damn...but hey u still here, so put yourself back together, hit the track. dainese was money well spent

ericr 12-22-2010 12:43 PM

Just had a thought, you haven't mentioned it(or I missed it)...do you wear a seperate back protector or was it just the suit (whatever pad it has)? Wonder if a back protector would have helped or if it was from flipping (getting twisted) over the curb that got your back.

DLIT 12-22-2010 12:52 PM

I wear a Dainese back protector. You can see scuff marks from where it broke through the flexible leather by my lower back. It definitely helped while sliding, hard to say if it helped with the curb. I took the curb on my side. It also helped while I was tumbling down the hill on my back, too.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/dddf73da.jpg

101lifts2 12-22-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 435172)
..... I'll proly never ride street again. .....

Yeah you will. Give it time. You need to find a road thats a slower pace with quicker turns. Of course then you'll have to move back down to a 600.

So....were you at least faster than this guy you met?redflip

DLIT 12-22-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 435302)
Yeah you will. Give it time. You need to find a road thats a slower pace with quicker turns. Of course then you'll have to move back down to a 600.

So....were you at least faster than this guy you met?redflip

I still have my R6. And I'm the fastest guy I know on the streets. But I highly doubt I'll ever ride street on a sport bike again.

the chi 12-22-2010 03:45 PM

Damn dude, so glad you are okay and not dead. Thats one scary accident, I too thought the bike had burnt. Heal up quick.

101lifts2 12-22-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 435308)
I still have my R6. And I'm the fastest guy I know on the streets. But I highly doubt I'll ever ride street on a sport bike again.

My bud Chris, who was one in our "fast" group did the same thing you did. He came early up on the mountain Sunday morning, lowsided (about 90 or so) into the guardrail and broke his back. Just as I got there, they were haulin him on a stretcher. His exact words..."dude this is it for me on the streets..were goin too fast...shit is too dangerous". Now this is after seeing countless crashes and a few deaths. Well low and behold 4 months later, he was ripping it up again on the streets. Now, though...his bike got repo'd and I don't see him anymore. :lol:

You just have to find a more settled pace in a better controlled area. If you find a road that you can ride up and down, then you know there isn't going to be rocks in the middle of the road. Of course, you have to find people who will ride that same road with you or you won't be having any fun. The road you lowsided on had gravel on it. Its the chance you take when you ride a road fast that you haven't scanned the area beforehand. It's pretty risky IMO.

Gas Man 12-22-2010 08:09 PM

WOW Dlit... glad you're ok man. Watching all of that, just makes me glad I don't do it anymore.

Keep us up to date on your healing and the bike.

No Worries 12-22-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 435308)

I know in Nevada, riding street can be well over the century mark. My friend just got back from a go-kart track with his Gixxer 1000 and he said he had a ball. Lower speeds and super tight. He wants me to take my old GS there. But I'm afraid of what happened to you could happen to me. At my age, I would take forever to heal.

DLIT 12-22-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 435322)
My bud Chris, who was one in our "fast" group did the same thing you did. He came early up on the mountain Sunday morning, lowsided (about 90 or so) into the guardrail and broke his back. Just as I got there, they were haulin him on a stretcher. His exact words..."dude this is it for me on the streets..were goin too fast...shit is too dangerous". Now this is after seeing countless crashes and a few deaths. Well low and behold 4 months later, he was ripping it up again on the streets. Now, though...his bike got repo'd and I don't see him anymore. :lol:

You just have to find a more settled pace in a better controlled area. If you find a road that you can ride up and down, then you know there isn't going to be rocks in the middle of the road. Of course, you have to find people who will ride that same road with you or you won't be having any fun. The road you lowsided on had gravel on it. Its the chance you take when you ride a road fast that you haven't scanned the area beforehand. It's pretty risky IMO.

That's the thing. I'm not having fun if I'm not hauling ass anymore. It's kind of an all or nothing type thing with me. Even the track is still up in the air. I'd have to sell all my street fairings just so I wouldn't be tempted.

My insurance is gonna sky rocket after I claim the R1. I probably couldn't afford keeping the R6 fully covered anyway. Off the street it will come.

DLIT 12-22-2010 10:30 PM

And, 101, I know this road like the back of my hand. I always leave room for corrections if I need to make one. But I didn't see anything in the road. If I don't see it, I can't adjust. That's why OTB's theory seems more practical. I'm constantly scanning the road for shit like gravel. Maybe cooler tires played a roll too...who knows?

101lifts2 12-22-2010 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 435477)
That's the thing. I'm not having fun if I'm not hauling ass anymore. It's kind of an all or nothing type thing with me. Even the track is still up in the air. I'd have to sell all my street fairings just so I wouldn't be tempted......

Dude I've seen/heard the exact same thing 10 times. Trust me it's because your in ur 20sredflip and you need a fast fix. I still do, but I have slowed down a little. You just need to ride track only then or your not gonna get ur fix until you get older or married lol.

101lifts2 12-22-2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 435480)
And, 101, I know this road like the back of my hand. I always leave room for corrections if I need to make one. But I didn't see anything in the road. If I don't see it, I can't adjust. That's why OTB's theory seems more practical. I'm constantly scanning the road for shit like gravel. Maybe cooler tires played a roll too...who knows?

It could have been the front end. I know my 2009 ZX6r's front end is prone to high siding when you make fast transitions because of the BPF front end. The suspension dude warned me of this (trying to sell suspension of course) because the front end will come up too quickly. I've experienced this a few times going downhill. You don't realize what a good revalved front end will do in fast transitions and how it can save ur ass.

If you weren't on the brakes or gas, just flipping the bike, I'm still betting it was just gravel that washed the front end, but there is the other possibilty of course.

DLIT 12-22-2010 11:51 PM

I'm 30, dude.

101lifts2 12-23-2010 12:36 AM

Ok...then 40.lol

Rangerscott 12-23-2010 12:54 AM

I know leather suits are good for sliding but what's the impact like?

njchopper87 12-23-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

I'm also thinking this is the cause.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTB (Post 435150)

Doesn't take much at racetrack speeds. Rushing even slightly downhill causes the vectors to change NOT in your favor.

This would be the runner up. Best to start with the more obvious causes.

DLIT 12-23-2010 07:18 AM

Ranger, impacting anything at the speed I was going is gonna suck. But the collateral damage to me is minimal. The suits work best...if you don't slide into anything, lol. If I had just slid on the pavement and came to a stop, I woulda been able to walk away instead of crutching away in a lot of pain.

Chopper, my forks slide into the triple trees, there's no need to losen up the steering head nut.

101lifts2 12-23-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njchopper87 (Post 435511)
I'm also thinking this is the cause.

This would be the runner up. Best to start with the more obvious causes.

The front end will act like a pogo stick under fast transistions because it is either not setup correctly or the valving is allowing too much rebound. This is one major issue on big pistion forks (which he doesn't have). It's possible that the rebound was too quick or compression a tad too tight. It makes the front wheel somewhat loose contact and allow slippage.

DLIT 12-23-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 435639)
The front end will act like a pogo stick under fast transistions because it is either not setup correctly or the valving is allowing too much rebound. This is one major issue on big pistion forks (which he doesn't have). It's possible that the rebound was too quick or compression a tad too tight. It makes the front wheel somewhat loose contact and allow slippage.

Right. I've felt that before. My transition was pretty much done and I was starting to lean the bike more. Could still play a factor after the fact because the suspension is trying to catch up, I dunno. It's just something I've never felt on the track or the street in my six years of riding. It took six years to have an official wreck. Not too bad...considering I ride like a maniac in most peoples' minds.

njchopper87 12-23-2010 11:04 PM

Ah, I see. I understand how it works now.

DLIT 12-29-2010 07:53 PM

The only reminder I'm keeping.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/a4797b53.jpg

Mr Lefty 12-29-2010 08:36 PM

Damn D, glad you're alright...

that sentiment about not having fun unless you're going fast is why I gave up my RR... not that I was anywhere as fast as you or Trip... but the what if thoughts kept creeping in my head as I was riding... what if a deer... what if a car... what if gravel... ect...

I don't think dual sports are your thing... but there's a shit ton of fun to be had especially in your Local on them. and for the record I have 10x the fun on my DRZ being a hooligan under 65 that I did on my RR at 65+...

maybe get yourself a 'tard

DLIT 12-29-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 437543)
Damn D, glad you're alright...

that sentiment about not having fun unless you're going fast is why I gave up my RR... not that I was anywhere as fast as you or Trip... but the what if thoughts kept creeping in my head as I was riding... what if a deer... what if a car... what if gravel... ect...

I don't think dual sports are your thing... but there's a shit ton of fun to be had especially in your Local on them. and for the record I have 10x the fun on my DRZ being a hooligan under 65 that I did on my RR at 65+...

maybe get yourself a 'tard

Won't be on the streets in probably years. For me, for my wife, for my family. Track only for a while.

derf 12-29-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 437598)
Won't be on the streets in probably years. For me, for my wife, for my family. Track only for a while.

Dude, you are a pussy. You're not a real biker until you've had a few skin grafts, get out there (without your leather) and go earn yourself a real biker badge of honor!

Mr Lefty 12-30-2010 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 437598)

no shame in that... just glad it was only a few broken bones and some bruising to get that decision... could have been much worse...

DLIT 12-30-2010 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 437608)
Dude, you are a pussy. You're not a real biker until you've had a few skin grafts, get out there (without your leather) and go earn yourself a real biker badge of honor!

Try it. Lemme know how it works out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 437626)
no shame in that... just glad it was only a few broken bones and some bruising to get that decision... could have been much worse...

Yup. Going through the circumstances, I shouldn't be around. Not a lot of people have had a 100+ wreck on the street and was walking three weeks later ( I haven't used my crutches all day ).

derf 12-30-2010 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 437675)

I'm a pussy

Quote:

Yup. Going through the circumstances, I shouldn't be around. Not a lot of people have had a 100+ wreck on the street and was walking three weeks later ( I haven't used my crutches all day ).

Awesome

Mr Lefty 12-30-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

No doubt!

but don't try to force the recovery too quick... the back is one thing you don't want being an issue through out life... that shit will take the fun out of life QUICK!

DLIT 12-30-2010 10:26 AM

Truth.

DLIT 12-30-2010 10:36 AM

Just discovered I'm getting 9500 from my insurance company for the loss. I owe 6500. That'll help with all the gear I gotta buy again!

azoomm 12-30-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

I was just going to ask how you were progressing. Crutches suck ass, hard. I got some mobilegs, I don't think I would be anywhere as mobile as I am without them.

I'll second the "take it easy" comment. Healing right is SO important.

Congratulations on the $$...

OneSickPsycho 12-30-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 437737)
Just discovered I'm getting 9500 from my insurance company for the loss. I owe 6500. That'll help with all the gear I gotta buy again!

Nice... gear and some go fast bits for the R6!

DLIT 12-30-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 437757)
Nice... gear and some go fast bits for the R6!

Just found out it's gonna be $2757 to be exact. Gear first. And then maybe some crash parts for the R6. Case covers and whatnot. Or an exhaust, we'll see. I gotta start hunting to find the best deals.

I'm sticking with Dainese for the suit and back protector. I might go with Sidi for boots and probably sticking with Astars for gloves. Shoei or AGV for a helmet.

Triple 12-30-2010 02:02 PM

Is this the first time you've been injured in a crash?

When I tore my knee up (the first time) in a high-side years ago, I never got back up to speed afterwards. I'm a safer, more mature, and more skilled rider now than I was then, but I believe I was faster when I was more reckless.

DLIT 12-30-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple (Post 437815)
Is this the first time you've been injured in a crash?

When I tore my knee up (the first time) in a high-side years ago, I never got back up to speed afterwards. I'm a safer, more mature, and more skilled rider now than I was then, but I believe I was faster when I was more reckless.

Ya, first time. I anticipate being slower. I'm gonna start out in level 2 and see how it feels.

Porkchop 12-30-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 437772)
Just found out it's gonna be $2757 to be exact. Gear first. And then maybe some crash parts for the R6. Case covers and whatnot. Or an exhaust, we'll see. I gotta start hunting to find the best deals.

I'm sticking with Dainese for the suit and back protector. I might go with Sidi for boots and probably sticking with Astars for gloves. Shoei or AGV for a helmet.

Do you already have race plastics and such for the R6?

DLIT 12-30-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkchop (Post 438011)
Do you already have race plastics and such for the R6?

Yup. Attack. Full Ohlins suspension too. It was gonna be track only eventually anyway.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/6ba01b84.jpg

Captain Morgan 12-30-2010 09:53 PM

Damn, dude, sorry to hear. I'm of the same mindset as Ebbs. I specifically avoided getting another SS bike when I finally decided to buy earlier this year. It had been 5 years since selling the R6, but I still remembered how much of an idiot I had been on the streets, so decided to get something much more tame. Heal up fast.

racedoll 01-01-2011 09:17 AM

I'm glad you are ok and healing up fast, just don't push it as others have said.

Your crash reminds me of what happened to Erik a few years back during a race. He went down on a left hander and for no apparent reason. He wasn't even close to being in a full leaned over position when it slipped right out from under him. He ended with a broken collar bone, heard it pop as he hit the ground.

DLIT 01-01-2011 11:55 AM

I'm starting to think cold tires helped too. We had been parked for about ten minutes right before the wreck. But this was after about 40 miles of riding, ten minutes of not riding wouldn't cool 'em down that much. I'm still baffled.

derf 01-01-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 438242)
I'm starting to think cold tires helped too. We had been parked for about ten minutes right before the wreck. But this was after about 40 miles of riding, ten minutes of not riding wouldn't cool 'em down that much. I'm still baffled.

Chalk it up to shit just happening. It could have been one of a million things. Possibly a frozen bearing locking the front wheel at the most inoportune time? A stuck brake that just happened to grab at the right time? A tiny bit of gravel at the exact spot where your tire would start to slide. A rat in the road that picked the tire up and threw it to the side.

Amber Lamps 01-01-2011 01:30 PM

Aha I found this thread....

Okay, well first, I'm really glad that you are okay-ish and will make a full recovery. Second, I always love all of the post-crash analysis, especially by people that can't ride at 60% of the speed that you do. In my experience, it's usually a combination of factors, little minute differences from the last time you took that corner, that caught up to you. Temperature, tire pressure/wear, road surface, new forks-springs/oil/settings/height in triples, speed, etc. BTW, here's my PC analysis. It'll be hard to judge now but any chance one of the forks slid in the triple? That would do what you described. Also, an incorrectly re-assembled fork after a seal/spring change. You got the forks from someone else. Do you know their exact history? I had that problem at the Gap, Rally before last, and almost lost it. Quite frankly though, my honest guess is that you fucked up...rider error, it causes crashes every once in a while.:idk:

As far as you, "giving up street riding and riding track only". Well, that sounds like the pain, your wife and fear talking to me. Seriously, one crash and you're done? Wow, I'm surprised you ever learned how to walk, dated more than one woman, etc with that attitude. One failure/mishap and you quit? Sounds kinda weak, dude.:sorry:

I gave up street bikes for a season after my '01 GSXR1000 was totaled and bought a DRZ400...Yea, that didn't last long. That might have worked for Brandon but it wasn't cutting it for me. Besides, getting injured on a trail doesn't feel any better than getting injured on the street. Besides, you wear a hell of a lot less gear so it's actually easier to get hurt.

You do realize that people get hurt/killed on the track as well right? One of my worst get offs ever occurred at the track. Being afraid of crashing is going to make going to track just as miserable for you as riding on the street. IMHO. I think that you rode around thinking that you couldn't get hurt because you wore all that gear. Well, that bubble has been burst. So now you're going to be "track only" because you think that you'll be "safer" there... Maybe, but if you keep riding at the limit, you'll end up crashing, and we'll be seeing a thread about you giving up riding all together soon.

I know how you feel, bro. I've totaled 7 bikes and have been in over a dozen street crashes in going on 30 years of riding. I have pins, scars, limps, pains, aches, etc to prove it too. I love it, so for me it's worth the risk. You are going to die, man. It's just that simple. Today, you give up riding and tomorrow you get hit by a bus or find out you have cancer. I'd rather go out happy, smiling with the ground rushing by than any other way.

I don't believe you when you say that you can't have fun unless you take that corner at 120. That same corner at 100 would be pretty damn thrilling IMHO. If you take it down to 80-90% of your potential on the street, it can still be fun. You'd probably half the risk if you slowed down 10%. I can't count the number of times I've heard this crap from people. Heck, I had a friend give up riding after he crashed doing a wheelie... I'm like, "Um you could just stop stunting..." :lol: I ride A LOT slower than I used to and quite frankly, I have MORE fun now because I have less to worry about. Yeesh.

You have to do whats right for you, bro. I do respect that but I just hope that you don't make a decision out of fear that you'll end of regretting later. Oh well, take some time off and see how you feel once you are all healed up. Try not to make too many promises to your wife that you'll have a hard time keeping in the coming years. I did that in '02 and ended up having to break up
with my GF when I decided to buy my '03GSXR1000.... It was either "her or the bike"....:lol:

DLIT 01-01-2011 04:07 PM

My forks never moved in the triple tree.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...N/170fd32d.jpg

And I'm well aware of people getting hurt/killed on the track. Deciding to go track only is to put my wife's mind at ease...for a temporary time. I'm not scared of wrecking again. It wasn't even bad until I hit the curb. I'm just saying there's less hazards to hit on the track.

Reminds me of this commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruWHHEnZGw

I think I'm doing what's right for me, my wife and my family right now. I am totally fine with track only riding for a couple seasons. Get out there in the middle group and see how I am, maybe eventually get back in the fast group...whatever.

I wrecked at about 120 and slid into a curb and down a slope. Just three weeks later and I'm walking around without using crutches, buying all new gear already (just need a helmet and boots) and I'm out and about a lot now, too. In my mind, by not riding street for a while I'm paying respects to whatever powers that be made it possible to basically walk away from a wreck of that magnitude.

And I always ride around 80% on the street. I'm never near my limit. Even on the track I don't open the throttle up as much and soon as I could probably get away with. None of my decisions are spawned from fear, I promise you that. And I do think I would enjoy street riding even more now, because after the wreck, the pain, the recovering...bottom line is I'm still able to ride. That's why, after a couple seasons maybe, that Ducati cruiser will have my name all over it!

Amber Lamps 01-01-2011 05:07 PM

So a few weeks ago, you were blasting through 45mph curves at 120 and now you're posting PSAs?... Born again much? Okay, Bro. I'm honestly just glad that you are okay. BTW for fun and the sake of argument, how can you be happy in the "slower" middle group or on a cruiser when you have stated that you can't ride unless you are going WOT?:lol: FWIW cruisers do suffer crashes too....:wink: Anyway, if you're bored and want to argue to pass the time, I'll check in every so often.

DLIT 01-01-2011 05:15 PM

It goes back to me actually being able to ride again. I'll be satisfied in the middle group for now. There's nothing to argue. I'm set in my ways and thoughts now.

Gas Man 01-01-2011 07:40 PM

AL... good post actually. Very rare for me to read such long stuff. YOu bruoght out allot of good points that even if not applied to Dlit apply to many.

i know a rider that crashed a couple of years ago. Not a real bad crash but enough to take the heat from his pants. Now he rides 50% that he use to and is on the edge of loosing the bug. I keep telling him to just get a cruiser, he really likes mine and the way I have it setup but says he's not set at home to have such a bike. I keep pushing him that way cause I know he'll get the bug back and enjoy riding again.

It's always different strokes for different folks and how they deal with crashes. When I high sided the 9R for a damn deer, it didn't slow me down at all. I was on the hill of more and more risk. Till I just told myself a few times, this is getting stupid. Much like DLIT I wasn't happy till I was over 125. I hung up my leather track suit for good and never looked back. Traded in for chrome and chaps. I like it and I have met more people and been to more places on my bike than ever before. It's great.

perhaps dlit will hang up his track suit in a year for a cruiser or maybe he'll get into hot rod cars. Do what you enjoy and F what people think.

Amber Lamps 01-01-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 438284)
It goes back to me actually being able to ride again. I'll be satisfied in the middle group for now. There's nothing to argue. I'm set in my ways and thoughts now.

Aw... I wanted to argue with you for fun, dang it!

Amber Lamps 01-01-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 438301)
AL... good post actually. Very rare for me to read such long stuff. YOu bruoght out allot of good points that even if not applied to Dlit apply to many.

i know a rider that crashed a couple of years ago. Not a real bad crash but enough to take the heat from his pants. Now he rides 50% that he use to and is on the edge of loosing the bug. I keep telling him to just get a cruiser, he really likes mine and the way I have it setup but says he's not set at home to have such a bike. I keep pushing him that way cause I know he'll get the bug back and enjoy riding again.

It's always different strokes for different folks and how they deal with crashes. When I high sided the 9R for a damn deer, it didn't slow me down at all. I was on the hill of more and more risk. Till I just told myself a few times, this is getting stupid. Much like DLIT I wasn't happy till I was over 125. I hung up my leather track suit for good and never looked back. Traded in for chrome and chaps. I like it and I have met more people and been to more places on my bike than ever before. It's great.

perhaps dlit will hang up his track suit in a year for a cruiser or maybe he'll get into hot rod cars. Do what you enjoy and F what people think.

True dat! I'm just playing devil's advocate and trying to cheer/fire him up a little. To be honest, I've considered quitting several times between funerals and crashes but I always come back. Like I said, you ARE going to die, I know that better than most. I plan to die with a smile on my face and lots of stories to tell in hell!:rockwoot:

Captain Morgan 01-02-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 438308)
True dat! I'm just playing devil's advocate and trying to cheer/fire him up a little. To be honest, I've considered quitting several times between funerals and crashes but I always come back. Like I said, you ARE going to die, I know that better than most. I plan to die with a smile on my face and lots of stories to tell in hell!:rockwoot:

Yep. My mom hates that I ride because she's heard so many stories of people getting hurt, killed, maimed, etc. I just tell her that when it's my time, it's my time, and it will happen whether I'm riding a motorcycle or walking down my basement stairs. I might as well enjoy life while I'm here!! One story that really bugs her is that her cousin was riding passenger and some guy fell asleep at the wheel and hit the cousin's bike. Killed the cousin's husband and caused the cousin to lose her leg. Mom's cousin still rides.

101lifts2 01-02-2011 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 438301)
.... Traded in for chrome and chaps. .....

I never understood the chaps thing.

101lifts2 01-02-2011 02:00 AM

Quote:

.... Like I said, you ARE going to die, I know that better than most....

So you know more than others that we are all going to die. U smart. redflip

DLIT 01-02-2011 03:36 AM

You're right, Gas. He made good points. But all he did in my eyes was prove he couldn't be any further from my situation and decisions. But, like you said, different strokes for different folks. I'll never stop riding...unless I'm too broken to do so, or dead. I've always been decent at regular sports but I'm actually above the curve in regards to riding. That, and my naturally competitive spirit doesn't allow me to just call it quits.

Amber Lamps 01-02-2011 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 438343)
So you know more than others that we are all going to die. U smart. redflip

Combat, two run ins with cancer, dead fiance, dead parents, dead siblings, dead friends, dead enemies, etc...yea I know just how tenuous our hold on life is first hand. I've watched people die right in front of me several times. Spitting blood, taking their last breath, saying the last words they'll ever fucking say. Yea I know all about death. What do you know?

Amber Lamps 01-02-2011 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 438348)
You're right, Gas. He made good points. But all he did in my eyes was prove he couldn't be any further from my situation and decisions. But, like you said, different strokes for different folks. I'll never stop riding...unless I'm too broken to do so, or dead. I've always been decent at regular sports but I'm actually above the curve in regards to riding. That, and my naturally competitive spirit doesn't allow me to just call it quits.

What's so unique about your situation? What, you're the only one that's ever crashed and had some blubbering woman or family member force them to promise they will stop riding those god awful death machines? You're the only one that's crashed and lost their nerve? You're the only one that rides and has people that love him? Not even close.

You blamed it on the insurance... What's the difference? Liability is cheap and if you crash on the track they won't pay for it anyway. BTW check your health insurance because they might not either. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants if you quit riding street and then get hurt without any coverage at the track? How would you like to be paying. Your current medical bills out of pocket? I'm sure that chopper ride wasn't cheap.

Anyway, do whatever floats your boat, I don't have any vested interest in whether you ride again or not. I was just addressing your excuses and trying to lighten things up a bit. Have fun listening to bikes fly by all summer while you sit leashed to the porch.

Gas Man 01-02-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

There is NOTHING wrong with blowing thru the pearl gates in a mangled fire ball mess of metal. Some might even say it's better than dieing in bed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 438342)
I never understood the chaps thing.

It covers the important parts and some non-important parts. :lol: Mostly guys use it for warmth more so than rash protection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 438348)
You're right, Gas. He made good points. But all he did in my eyes was prove he couldn't be any further from my situation and decisions. But, like you said, different strokes for different folks. I'll never stop riding...unless I'm too broken to do so, <INJECT> or dead. I've always been decent at regular sports but I'm actually above the curve in regards to riding. That, and my naturally competitive spirit doesn't allow me to just call it quits.

Hey you forgot one spot in your thing. Ride a trike, then die. Trike's are fine if you are handicapped or able to draw social security. Otherwise... :wtfru:

DLIT 01-02-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 438353)
What's so unique about your situation? What, you're the only one that's ever crashed and had some blubbering woman or family member force them to promise they will stop riding those god awful death machines? You're the only one that's crashed and lost their nerve? You're the only one that rides and has people that love him? Not even close.

You blamed it on the insurance... What's the difference? Liability is cheap and if you crash on the track they won't pay for it anyway. BTW check your health insurance because they might not either. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants if you quit riding street and then get hurt without any coverage at the track? How would you like to be paying. Your current medical bills out of pocket? I'm sure that chopper ride wasn't cheap.

Anyway, do whatever floats your boat, I don't have any vested interest in whether you ride again or not. I was just addressing your excuses and trying to lighten things up a bit. Have fun listening to bikes fly by all summer while you sit leashed to the porch.

My wife is not some blubbering woman. I think your experience with broads in your past are fucking with you, making you think all girls are whack. And I'm active duty military. I get my commander to sign off on a high-risk activity letter, like I had before the wreck, and I'm good to go. I don't have to worry about paying for medical. It's more like you're attacking my excuses to pick an argument. You make it sound like I'm giving it up altogether and will never ride street again. I have a plan...and it involves letting some time pass before I hit the streets. I'm totally fine with it. Will I miss riding with my buds? You're god damn right. But I'm doing the right thing right now. Sorry if you don't agree with it.

Wait...no I'm not.

'73 H1 Triple 01-02-2011 01:27 PM

DLIT,
I've been ready this thread since it started. I'm glad to hear you are mending well and have your own plan. It's your life and your family, you decide what works.

In regards to what caused the "lack of adhesion" leading to your accident, I think it's just a lot of small things that added up at the wrong time for you. You mentioned the tires cooling down, the features of the road and the possibility of debris. All parts of the puzzle. Plus riding at the higher percentages leave less room for error ( BTDT with dirt bikes )

As far as your recovery, don't push yourself too hard. If you're going for PT, listen to them and follow the directions to a "T". I pushed too hard when I was rehabbing my knee after ACL reconstructive surgery and put myself back by about two weeks. :td:

Good luck and heal well.
Jeff

Amber Lamps 01-02-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 438390)
My wife is not some blubbering woman. I think your experience with broads in your past are fucking with you, making you think all girls are whack. And I'm active duty military. I get my commander to sign off on a high-risk activity letter, like I had before the wreck, and I'm good to go. I don't have to worry about paying for medical. It's more like you're attacking my excuses to pick an argument. You make it sound like I'm giving it up altogether and will never ride street again. I have a plan...and it involves letting some time pass before I hit the streets. I'm totally fine with it. Will I miss riding with my buds? You're god damn right. But I'm doing the right thing right now. Sorry if you don't agree with it.

Wait...no I'm not.

Well gee whiz, where did I get these ideas? Hmmmmm.... Oh yea, this might have something to do with it,

DLIT, "Not a bad guess. I wasn't trail braking. I just use my lean to scrub speed off if need be. But you could be right. I still think I should've felt some feedback. I was already leaning right. Who knows. Important thing is I'm here still. I'll proly never ride street again. I don't have fun unless I'm hauling ass, but I can't risk getting that lucky again. My gear and a metric fuck ton of luck saved my ass."

If I can't be the "fastest guy" then I don't want to ride at all....:wink:

DLIT, "I still have my R6. And I'm the fastest guy I know on the streets. But I highly doubt I'll ever ride street on a sport bike again."

Why do I think that you wouldn't be happy in the "slow" group?....:whistle:

DLIT, "That's the thing. I'm not having fun if I'm not hauling ass anymore. It's kind of an all or nothing type thing with me. Even the track is still up in the air. I'd have to sell all my street fairings just so I wouldn't be tempted."

Blaming the insurance rates for your decision....:wink:

DLIT, "My insurance is gonna sky rocket after I claim the R1. I probably couldn't afford keeping the R6 fully covered anyway. Off the street it will come."

Putting it on the wife/family....:pebbs:

DLIT, "Won't be on the streets in probably years. For me, for my wife, for my family. Track only for a while."

This is my favorite because you state that you're set in your ways even though you've progressively changed your mind as you've healed....:lol:

DLIT, "It goes back to me actually being able to ride again. I'll be satisfied in the middle group for now. There's nothing to argue. I'm set in my ways and thoughts now.

Anyway, I expect that you'll be back on the street, on a sport bike by Spring at the latest, barring any SO complications, that is.:lol: Good luck, man, I mean that! :rockwoot:

DLIT 01-02-2011 02:59 PM

Bet me I'll be on the street that quick.

Amber Lamps 01-02-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 438404)
Bet me I'll be on the street that quick.

Yea I'm sure that you're right....your wife probably won't let you off the leash quite that soon....:lol: How about this, I bet that you won't make the 2 year mark you were talking about before!:wink: ZERO street for TWO WHOLE YEARS? Yea right.

caveman 01-02-2011 03:43 PM

Ok, first off, Glad you made it through that fuckstorm of a crash. the bike looks to be totally baked. I know you said that it didn't burn, but from the pics it sure looks like it did.

Secondly, I remember my last wreck had the most rash I ever had in a bike wreck and a broken wrist. I thought that I was done too. I got the bike repaired and am back on two wheels now for the past 5 years now with only close calls. (Knock on wood) However, if you are not gonna ride on the road again thats your choice and yours alone. As for the cruiser thing, like Gas said, he has enjoyed it and hasn't looked back. And also like he said he has met some more interesting people since, like ME.:dvrofl:

Lastly, mend well and learn from what happened and try not to rinse and repeat. Take care and God bless in whatever you decide

101lifts2 01-02-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 438352)
Combat, two run ins with cancer, dead fiance, dead parents, dead siblings, dead friends, dead enemies, etc...yea I know just how tenuous our hold on life is first hand. I've watched people die right in front of me several times. Spitting blood, taking their last breath, saying the last words they'll ever fucking say. Yea I know all about death. What do you know?

I think I know what comes after death....