Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Cage Hell (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   1969 Corvette (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=17850)

1969 Corvette

I'm looking at a couple...wanna buy one to restore.

Hints, tips, tricks, shit to look out for?

I know to check for a rusty birdcage (no, that's not a sex act), and bad calipers...

Dave 01-07-2011 01:22 PM

I seem to recall something about those being hard on rear shocks

TommyHotWheel 01-07-2011 01:40 PM

Buy stock in fiberglass resin and sandpaper...my uncle's took like a gallon or more per panel if its been dried out. It will wick the resin in and not even look like you touched the surface. Wiring and interior are a bitch too.

wildchild 01-07-2011 03:15 PM

never played with that version. my dad's '60 we did a ton to, seemed easy enough but i was early teen so i'm sure i didn't know all that was going on.

my friend had a later one an '81 "buggy spring" was bad in rear

just to restate the obvious, check numbers. people love to swap the motors then sell them.

post lots of pics when you get one.

derf 01-07-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel (Post 440006)
Buy stock in fiberglass resin and sandpaper...my uncle's took like a gallon or more per panel if its been dried out. It will wick the resin in and not even look like you touched the surface. Wiring and interior are a bitch too.

Helped do bodywork on one a few years back, we would just mix up the resin and pour it on, roll it on with a roller and it would be dry because it all soaked in

Well, I was looking at two different cars.

One guy is too retarded in communications skills, and after 6 days, two emails, one 40 minute drive to no avail, and a number of messages to his voicemail (finally, after five days, I got a fucking number for the idiot), I STILL haven't heard from the moron, so fuck him. What the fuck is the matter with some people? You'd swear they're not interested in selling shit...why the fuck post it for sale??

The other one I went to see the other night, and I've now effectively closed the deal on.

It's a 1969 coupe, the body has been all redone by a body shop, and is currently in Urethane primer, ready to go. The frame needs a little attention here and there, but is also in relatively good nick...it just needs one cross member straightened a little (there's a spare, besides, in case I prefer to replace it), and it needs a little POR 15 for the surface rust.

The hood is a legit Big Block hood (replacing the original flat hood w/stinger), but the car was born with, and is set up for a small block. It comes with the 454 out of a later model Chevy SS 454 pickup, and big block sidepipes. The guy was going to get a harness from wiring specialties, and adapt it, but I think I'm gonna put a regular small block in it, and sell the pipes.

The big block may go in something else, or I may sell that too.

The car comes with the all the pickings from a stripped 1970 parts car, so I have doubles of almost everything.

That's the good news.

The bad?

It's in about 3500 pieces, and *I* didn't take it apart.

This is gonna be fun. Thank goodness for all the online Vette step-by-step instructionals. I'll need them for sure...

dReWpY 01-08-2011 11:52 PM

I need to get pix of the old mans, he has a '69 that's show worthy

derf 01-09-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avatard (Post 440563)
The bad?

It's in about 3500 pieces, and *I* didn't take it apart.

That sounds like a plan for failure

Only, I've built a number of cars before...and most were Chevys.

I'm hoping it goes fairly easily. Like I said, thankfully there's a ton of resources.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Particle Man 01-09-2011 08:05 AM

Yikes. Putting something like that together when you weren't the one to take it apart... Brave man.