Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Plug,Patch or New Tire (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=1099)

Amber Lamps 04-17-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 33293)
done it, would do it again if i had to

when u pick up a nail, a tire doesnt explode, that said i would only plug a rear, never a front

EXACTLY my point! A tire is not a balloon! If it didn't "pop" when you got the nail,why would it pop because you patched it?

For some reason I don't totally understand I agree about patching a front. On a side note,has anyone seen a front tire go flat? 25 years,honestly never had one...

Mr Lefty 04-17-2008 09:18 PM

I wouldn't risk it... I got VERY lucky on a trip last year before my deployment. granted that was with slime not a patch or plug... but needless to say i won't be choosing a $2 fix to do anything but get me home.

Trip 04-17-2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 33303)
EXACTLY my point! A tire is not a balloon! If it didn't "pop" when you got the nail,why would it pop because you patched it?

For some reason I don't totally understand I agree about patching a front. On a side note,has anyone seen a front tire go flat? 25 years,honestly never had one...

I have only had one tire flat on my bike. It was a rear and it was worn out anyway, so I just replaced it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 33305)
I wouldn't risk it... I got VERY lucky on a trip last year before my deployment. granted that was with slime not a patch or plug... but needless to say i won't be choosing a $2 fix to do anything but get me home.

whoever cleaned your wheel hates you, that slime stuff pisses whoever replaces the tire off big time.

NONE_too_SOFT 04-17-2008 09:20 PM

shit if i got a flat on a new tire i'd just wreck my bike into a brick wall and collect the insurance on it.

Mr Lefty 04-17-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 33303)

mine went at at around 90mph... got REALLY wobbly then went into a tank slapper... I was able to ride it out and pull off... to find my rear tire was flat... took me about an hour to get my hands to stop shaking... which was fine considering i had a 3-4hr wait for the tow truck

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 33306)
whoever cleaned your wheel hates you, that slime stuff pisses whoever replaces the tire off big time.

actually they said it came off the wheel pretty easy... :idk: cause Gasman said that... so I asked...

anyways serves them right... they're the ones who sold me the slime say'n I'd be good to go... fuckers... in the end... it was my choice to ride on a less than 100% tire... so the blame is on me...

I won't be doing it again... that's for sure

Amber Lamps 04-17-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 33309)
mine went at at around 90mph... got REALLY wobbly then went into a tank slapper... I was able to ride it out and pull off... to find my rear tire was flat... took me about an hour to get my hands to stop shaking... which was fine considering i had a 3-4hr wait for the tow truck

No offense,but I can feel a 5-10lb difference in my tire pressure.

Mr Lefty 04-17-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 33311)

so can I... the tire pressure was fine... I had a nail in it.. and they put slime in and said I'd be fine... so I was riding... got a bit absent minded forgot about the nail and got a bit heavy with the throttle... the nail came out along with all the air and half the slime... it wasn't a slow leak... it was basicly a blowout

lagerdrinker 04-17-2008 09:29 PM

i wouldnt plug, only patch. A few things that do come to mind about tires is that they do expand at speed and what holds them together are the belts and cords built into the tires. Sometimes punctures hit and cut cords or belts and cause a bulge in the sidewall where the rubber is no longer supported. If there are any bulges or deformities after ther repair i wouldnt trust it at all.

NONE_too_SOFT 04-17-2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 33311)

when at the gap last year, everyone suggested i let just a few pounds of air out of my tires, cause i'd get better grip... felt like i was riding on jelly donuts.

5-10 lb dif should be a HUGE dif.

Amber Lamps 04-17-2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 33309)

anyways serves them right... they're the ones who sold me the slime say'n I'd be good to go... fuckers... in the end... it was my choice to ride on a less than 100% tire... so the blame is on me...

I won't be doing it again... that's for sure

Not to contradict myself but I wouldn't trust slime either. I remember when it came out and a guy was selling it at the Cycle World show in Daytona. Plus I hear it can cause balancing issues and even slime doesn't recommend it for street bikes. I didn't consider Fix-A-Flat type repairs but can add those to the list if you want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 33313)
so can I... the tire pressure was fine... I had a nail in it.. and they put slime in and said I'd be fine... so I was riding... got a bit absent minded forgot about the nail and got a bit heavy with the throttle... the nail came out along with all the air and half the slime... it wasn't a slow leak... it was basicly a blowout

OMFG!!! You didn't take the nail out? Jesus,who the fuck told you that would be ok? :panic: