Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   First time in 8 years... (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=18586)

Particle Man 03-16-2011 04:14 PM

First time in 8 years...

Pulled the bike out today to get things started for spring.

For the first time ever, the battery wasn't strong enough to start the engine (and I've never used a battery tender). Not bad for an 8 year old battery, though. Hooked up a charger for an hour and she fired right up.

I put the bike up on the center stand and threw it in gear and noticed that the chain and back wheel are pretty jerky at idle; I don't normally put the bike in gear while it's on the center stand. Does anyone else's bike (those of you with chain drives) do that?

It seems a bit loose so I'm thinking that's the cause but figured I'd throw it out there.

goof2 03-16-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 457272)
Pulled the bike out today to get things started for spring.

For the first time ever, the battery wasn't strong enough to start the engine (and I've never used a battery tender). Not bad for an 8 year old battery, though. Hooked up a charger for an hour and she fired right up.

I put the bike up on the center stand and threw it in gear and noticed that the chain and back wheel are pretty jerky at idle; I don't normally put the bike in gear while it's on the center stand. Does anyone else's bike (those of you with chain drives) do that?

It seems a bit loose so I'm thinking that's the cause but figured I'd throw it out there.

Can't complain about that battery. Keep an eye on it though. Mine reached the point where it was fine if it started first try. If it didn't it became very iffy.

Clean, lube, and set proper tension on the chain. If it and the wheel are still jerky you may have a tight spot.

marko138 03-17-2011 12:14 PM

8 years on a batt is solid. But why wouldn't you use a Tender? It's smart money, kid.

pauldun170 03-17-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 457415)
8 years on a batt is solid. But why wouldn't you use a Tender? It's smart money, kid.

He's Particle Man
He charges everything just standing next to it.

marko138 03-17-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 457420)
He's Particle Man

Smart!

anthonyk 03-17-2011 01:53 PM

Might be loose, but it might just be due to having a twin. My aprilia does that a bit more on the stand than my previous I-4 bike.

Particle Man 03-17-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 457324)
Clean, lube, and set proper tension on the chain. If it and the wheel are still jerky you may have a tight spot.

Shit - it better not, there's less than 1,000 miles on that chain and sprocket set. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 457415)

I have one - just never needed it. I'm going to replace the sucker anyhow just as preventative maintenence. I was pretty impressed that it lasted that long, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 457420)
He's Particle Man

Damn skippy! :rockwoot:

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 457433)
Might be loose, but it might just be due to having a twin. My aprilia does that a bit more on the stand than my previous I-4 bike.

If I give it some throttle the jerkyness goes away so I was wondering that. Either way, it's loose so I'll properly tension and adjust it just in time to throw new tires on it :lol:

Cutty72 03-17-2011 07:30 PM

My SV does the same.
My Buell does not.

pauldun170 03-19-2011 05:00 PM

Just by posting in a Particle Man thread charged the battery in the CBR.
Its been sitting since October and today fired right up without touching a tender.

Particle Man 03-19-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 457832)
Just by posting in a Particle Man thread charged the battery in the CBR.
Its been sitting since October and today fired right up without touching a tender.

You're welcome