Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Riding Gear (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Need a new modular helmet... (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=18582)

Particle Man 03-15-2011 09:13 PM

Need a new modular helmet...

Mine's getting up there in age and I've also traced some of my comfort issues back to the helmet being too heavy.

I like the modular design but I want to make sure it has a metal latch (the current CL-MAX I own doesn't have a metal latch and that bugs me).

Anyone have any suggestions for a fairly well priced (under a few hundred bucks) but light modular helmet?

G-Rex 03-15-2011 09:15 PM

I've tried on the Scorpion EXO 900 and it is pretty comfortable. I haven't road tested it, but I've thought about trying one for my first modular to see how I like the idea of a modular.

It goes for about $270 at the dealership here.

Trip 03-15-2011 09:23 PM

Probably the shoei, the shark is heavy

derf 03-15-2011 09:39 PM

I have the upgrade to the cl you have with a metal latch and it does fine, but given the choice again I would get the scorpion I was looking at at the same time

MILK 03-15-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 457068)
Probably the shoei, the shark is heavy

Yup. I planned on buying a lesser expensive helmet until I held one. I bought another Shoei. The difference is incredible. Mine isn't modular though..

Particle Man 03-15-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 457071)
I have the upgrade to the cl you have with a metal latch and it does fine, but given the choice again I would get the scorpion I was looking at at the same time

Is that the SY-MAX or SY-MAX II?

azoomm 03-15-2011 11:01 PM

I love the NEXX they gave us with BMW. Light, looks badass, comfortable ...

derf 03-16-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 457078)
Is that the SY-MAX or SY-MAX II?

It is the IS MAX BT. Its not a bad helmet, fits fine, has all the features I wanted, isnt that heavy, sometimes its hard to close and I need to force it, but never a problem that cant be fixed with one hand. The helmet is comfortable and I am happy with it, but I would rather have spent the extra $$$ for the scorpion. So far every helmet I have bought that isnt a scorpion has dissapointed me.

Really my issue with it is quality, the padding around the rear needs to be pushed back in once in a while, the shield fogs up in the rain, and the chin wind guard is slightly better than worthless. Also the vents are crappy, unless I kinda bend my head forward just a little, then it works great.

I am thinking about getting the exo 900 this summer. Not a bad lid, but if you are gonna spend the $$$ on it, spend the extra $$$ and get the scorpion. If you can find it for $125 or less go for it.

Particle Man 03-16-2011 04:26 AM

Thanks everyone!

fnfalman 03-20-2011 01:18 AM

The Shoei Multitech had served me well the last three years but now it developed a vibration around the left temple that just drives me bonkers. I screwed everything down tight so I don't know what the fuck is going on. May need to ditch it for a different modular helmet.