Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New toy (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=22349)

derf 06-30-2013 12:14 PM

New toy

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...45717484_n.jpg

Got a new toy yesterday...

$6600 for a 99 with 17k miles from it.

Amorok 06-30-2013 05:15 PM

Nice dude. You keeping the sport bike or switching completely?

pauldun170 06-30-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 530448)
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...45717484_n.jpg

Got a new toy yesterday...

$6600 for a 99 with 17k miles from it.

Nice little something for family outings.
Congrats

derf 06-30-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amorok (Post 530453)
Nice dude. You keeping the sport bike or switching completely?

CBR is gone as of next friday I spent the whole day removing all my aftermarket stuff off of it today and putting on the old damaged bodywork from when it got damaged 5 years ago. After a few close calls late last year and early this year I decided it is time to move on, plus I have been feeling less and less comfortable on it lately.

I would love to get a supermoto, but I think I'm limited to having two bikes at a time. Reality though I am looking towards trading the KLR for a honda nc700 or a kawasaki versys, something that can be taken on gravel and hard packed trails but is still very competent on back roads. But that is 2-4 years away depending on money and promotions.

Sixxxxer 06-30-2013 07:21 PM

Why put on damaged bodywork??

derf 06-30-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 530459)
Why put on damaged bodywork??

So I can ebay the good stuff. The dealership gave me $2k for the cbr sight unseen, and it is $500 less than I would have tried to sell it for privately so to make up some of the difference I am going to sell the good bodywork, double bubble windscreen, extra set of brakes, wheels, plus a plethora of other small knick knacks for the bike that I have collected over time.

Sixxxxer 06-30-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 530460)
So I can ebay the good stuff. The dealership gave me $2k for the cbr sight unseen, and it is $500 less than I would have tried to sell it for privately so to make up some of the difference I am going to sell the good bodywork, double bubble windscreen, extra set of brakes, wheels, plus a plethora of other small knick knacks for the bike that I have collected over time.

Got ya, The trading in of the CBR was not mentioned...But that makes way more sense now.

Rangerscott 06-30-2013 10:49 PM

Good/bad thing about a harley is it almost doesnt matter how old they are, they still look the same.

derf 07-01-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 530461)
Got ya, The trading in of the CBR was not mentioned...But that makes way more sense now.

Plus I should be getting my old ninja 500 back pretty soon too. Its in rough shape though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 530462)
Good/bad thing about a harley is it almost doesnt matter how old they are, they still look the same.

What you cant tell the difference between the standard chrome secondary fender flair light connector and an aftermarket chrome secondary fender flair light connector?

Really I just wanted to something that is easier to travel on than either the klr or the CBR, and something that does better with a passenger than either bike. I wanted a goldwing, but they are still priced too high and usually come with way too many miles on them than I was happy with.

Turbo Ghost 07-01-2013 06:51 AM

Nice! I recently thought I was going to get a Venture Royale but, got vetoed by the boss! Still KLRing though!

marko138 07-01-2013 01:48 PM

I dig it.

Trip 07-01-2013 01:55 PM

I did not think that facebook post was serious, can't not believe it. LOL

Sixxxxer 07-01-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 530476)

Lol He said he wasnt kidding...

Get on the BrahBrahBrah Sticker!!

derf 07-01-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 530476)

Yep, insured it today, and if I can get out of work early I'll get it wednesday, if not I get it on friday because the dealership is closed for the holiday.

I wasnt expecting to buy it, but the stars sort of just aligned right. I was actually just on my way up to my parents house so they can take the kids for the next 2 weeks and we stopped to use the bathroom

njchopper87 07-01-2013 07:46 PM

That's some serious impulse buying right there. Congrats.

Particle Man 07-01-2013 10:25 PM

Good luck with it, man.

Porkchop 07-02-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njchopper87 (Post 530488)
That's some serious impulse buying right there. Congrats.

This. :lol Congrats!

Cutty72 07-02-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 530486)
Yep, insured it today, and if I can get out of work early I'll get it wednesday, if not I get it on friday because the dealership is closed for the holiday.

I wasnt expecting to buy it, but the stars sort of just aligned right. I was actually just on my way up to my parents house so they can take the kids for the next 2 weeks and we stopped to use the bathroom

Most people stop at gas stations to use the bathroom... Derf, he stops at HD shops :lol:

derf 07-02-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 530554)
Most people stop at gas stations to use the bathroom... Derf, he stops at HD shops :lol:

The story behind stopping there specifically is that we just left a wawa gas station, got coffee and bathroom, then 10 miles down the road, just after we pass a rest stop, my son says he has to use the bathroom, and the dealership is right off the highway before we had almost 10 miles to the next exit.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...123.84,,0,-1.4

Turbo Ghost 07-03-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 530556)
we just left a wawa gas station,

Aw man! The last time I was in a wawa was in Michigan (I think) when I was driving truck. I tried a cherry-coke Icee and it was Heaven on Earth! Unfortunately, I only bought a small and never saw another wawa again in my travels. :( I have an Icee problem! I can't get enough!

LeeNetworX 07-03-2013 08:54 AM

Can you flatfoot sitting on any of your bikes?

CasterTroy 07-03-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 530577)

:lol:

Gas Man 07-03-2013 09:49 AM

I love it... 99 was a weird time for HD... they just EFI the EVO motor and that only happened for like 2 years then they went to the 88" Twin Cam.

But as said, HD goes through tons of effort to engineer the bike without changing the look or alienating the core customer base.

Sixxxxer 07-03-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost (Post 530563)
Aw man! The last time I was in a wawa was in Michigan (I think) when I was driving truck. I tried a cherry-coke Icee and it was Heaven on Earth! Unfortunately, I only bought a small and never saw another wawa again in my travels. :( I have an Icee problem! I can't get enough!

Def wasnt in Michigan...Ever

Wawa's Are only in NJ,PA,DE,MD,VA and FL.

Awhile ago we were in NY and CT but no longer are we in those states.

Trip 07-03-2013 11:17 PM

I find Icees everywhere, they have them in Weigels in Tennessee and Burger King even has them. A lot of Walmarts as well. I love blueberry.

Cherry and coke are the two most common flavors.

Porkchop 07-03-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 530638)
I find Icees everywhere, they have them in Weigels in Tennessee and Burger King even has them. A lot of Walmarts as well. I love blueberry.

Our movie theatres have them. Blue raspberry and pink lemonade are my favs...

derf 07-05-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 530577)

No.

I get close with this one. The first photo I posted was weird, I didn't even come close, but while out and about I can get one foot flat with the other heel about a half inch off the ground

Turbo Ghost 07-05-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 530637)
Def wasnt in Michigan...Ever

Wawa's Are only in NJ,PA,DE,MD,VA and FL.

Awhile ago we were in NY and CT but no longer are we in those states.

Must have been PA then. I take it you work for them.

Turbo Ghost 07-05-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 530638)

I can get them lots of places here also but, that's the only place I've ever seen with Cherry Coke. I really wish Burger King would come back out with the Black Cherry Icees! Those were wicked good!

LeeNetworX 07-05-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 530660)
No.

I get close with this one. The first photo I posted was weird, I didn't even come close, but while out and about I can get one foot flat with the other heel about a half inch off the ground

Not too bad. But I'm guessing wet or icy conditions can be a little hairy at times?

Sixxxxer 07-05-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost (Post 530663)
Must have been PA then. I take it you work for them.

Yeah I do, We have a flavor we rotate out every few months...Some crazy flavors they have. Kiwi Strawberry right now...but its been Sour Apple, Pina Colada, Root Beer Float, Cherry Limeade...

There are a fuckton of flavors.

marko138 07-08-2013 02:47 PM

I need an Icee now.

Turbo Ghost 07-08-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 530725)
I need an Icee now.

When would you NOT need an Icee!?

marko138 07-08-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost (Post 530732)
When would you NOT need an Icee!?

Right.

njchopper87 07-08-2013 09:47 PM

Only a couple weeks until I visit Jersey.. Slurpee is definitely towards the top of the list. As is that awesome ice cream parlor that I used to live down the street from that employs mostly hot women. I swear they have the best milkshake I ever tasted.

derf 07-09-2013 01:24 AM

Well fuck me, bike is in the shop after 5 days. Definately a dead battery, showing 10.5v, I'm hoping it isn't the regulator or the stator. The dealership is testing everything for free, and might warranty the parts, the service guy didn't want to give me an answer until he could talk to the sales manager. The dealership warranty only covers the power train, but since I brought it back on under a week they say they are going to try and work with me. Which I think means they will give me a small discount on already super expensive parts. Instead I would just look at the after market, already found a regulator and stator for the same price as the HD regulator by itself.

Pretty pissed because other than that this bike was ruining fine and just took in miles without blinking.

In hoping that the battery was just dead from sitting, and that is causing the charging system to read low, bit the service guy was saying that without load at 2500 rpm the voltmeter should be reading 14v, it is reading between 13 and 13.5.

Fuck me right

marko138 07-09-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 530752)
Well fuck me, bike is in the shop after 5 days. Definately a dead battery, showing 10.5v, I'm hoping it isn't the regulator or the stator. The dealership is testing everything for free, and might warranty the parts, the service guy didn't want to give me an answer until he could talk to the sales manager. The dealership warranty only covers the power train, but since I brought it back on under a week they say they are going to try and work with me. Which I think means they will give me a small discount on already super expensive parts. Instead I would just look at the after market, already found a regulator and stator for the same price as the HD regulator by itself.

Pretty pissed because other than that this bike was ruining fine and just took in miles without blinking.

In hoping that the battery was just dead from sitting, and that is causing the charging system to read low, bit the service guy was saying that without load at 2500 rpm the voltmeter should be reading 14v, it is reading between 13 and 13.5.

Fuck me right

Buy the HD battery if you need a new one. I just spent $120 on a new HD battery this year. Why? Because the old one lasted 8 years.

Turbo Ghost 07-09-2013 11:15 AM

The best investment you can possibly make is a Battery Tender! Wire it in and plug up every time you park it!

derf 07-09-2013 11:21 AM

I'm gonna buy the HD battery, but go with either used parties or aftermarket IF I need any parts. I am planking to verify any diagnosis the dealership makes and go from there. I have the factory service Manual so testing shouldn't be hard

derf 07-09-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost (Post 530769)
The best investment you can possibly make is a Battery Tender! Wire it in and plug up every time you park it!

I have one for each bike and one for the cars, they ask hang on the wall and just run to the renter plug which is permanently attached to the bike

Turbo Ghost 07-10-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 530771)
I have one for each bike and one for the cars, they ask hang on the wall and just run to the renter plug which is permanently attached to the bike

Smart man!

Gas Man 07-10-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 530762)
Buy the HD battery if you need a new one. I just spent $120 on a new HD battery this year. Why? Because the old one lasted 8 years.

The HD AGM batteries are awesome!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost (Post 530769)

Yes, when I'm not on the bike, the tender is. Plain and simple.

Per my HD mechanic, it can double to tripple the life of the battery on these high power demand bikes.

Spyke makes some good parts for what you may need. But there's another brand I need to check on.... can't remember it right now...

Gas Man 07-10-2013 08:48 AM

This is it...

use them. Great warranty and parts
http://cycleelectricinc.com/

derf 07-10-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 530826)
The HD AGM batteries are awesome!!

Yes, when I'm not on the bike, the tender is. Plain and simple.

Per my HD mechanic, it can double to tripple the life of the battery on these high power demand bikes.

Spyke makes some good parts for what you may need. But there's another brand I need to check on.... can't remember it right now...

I had one dealership quote me $325 for the battery installed, they couldn't quote me for just the battery, the parts guy literally told me that they wont let me buy a battery myself and put it in the bike myself because I could start a fire and destroy the bike. All the other dealerships in the area want between $170 and $220 for just the battery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 530828)
This is it...

use them. Great warranty and parts
http://cycleelectricinc.com/

Looking

CasterTroy 07-11-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 530858)
the parts guy literally told me that they wont let me buy a battery myself and put it in the bike myself because I could start a fire and destroy the bike.

:skep: You gotta be fucking KIDDING me

derf 07-11-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasterTroy (Post 530866)

Seriously.

Anyway, they call me back and tell me that a wire by the regulator was covered in road grime and gunk and they cleaned it off and the bike works fine now. They did say that the spark plug wires were pretty old and needed to be replaced, along with the spark plugs, so I will do that.

CasterTroy 07-12-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 530893)
They did say that the spark plug wires were pretty old and needed to be replaced, along with the spark plugs, so I will do that.

But...but...you can't HANDLE that alone, so we require you to bring it in for a complete motor swap...JUST to be safe

Particle Man 07-12-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasterTroy (Post 530866)

My reaction as well. What the hell???

LeeNetworX 07-15-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 530858)
the parts guy literally told me that they wont let me buy a battery myself and put it in the bike myself because I could start a fire and destroy the bike.

Considering many of the RUB wannabe riders I've met over the years on HDs, I'm not surprised by their stance, if I think about what may be their common service customer.