Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Plug,Patch or New Tire (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=1099)

Mr Lefty 04-17-2008 09:41 PM

the motorcycle shop that I stopped at to see if they could swap in a new set of tires... they said they didn't have any and that they couldn't get to it to plug or patch it for a couple hours... but if I got some of the SLIME from the parts section... I could just put that in the tire and I'd be good to go... I asked him how well that stuff works and he said he's ridden all summer on a tire with it in cause he got a nail with in 10 miles of getting tires put on. so I truested his juedgement...

never again... I'll error on the side of caution... had I gone off where my tire went flat... I had a 90' drop and no guard rail... even if I didn't die... they wouldn't have ever found me.

NONE_too_SOFT 04-17-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebbs15 (Post 33322)
the motorcycle shop that I stopped at to see if they could swap in a new set of tires... they said they didn't have any and that they couldn't get to it to plug or patch it for a couple hours... but if I got some of the SLIME from the parts section... I could just put that in the tire and I'd be good to go... I asked him how well that stuff works and he said he's ridden all summer on a tire with it in cause he got a nail with in 10 miles of getting tires put on. so I truested his juedgement...

never again... I'll error on the side of caution... had I gone off where my tire went flat... I had a 90' drop and no guard rail... even if I didn't die... they wouldn't have ever found me.

then you would have died, smart guy.

dReWpY 04-17-2008 09:49 PM

the plugs that have a patch are the only kind i would use, they look like lil inverted mushrooms

NONE_too_SOFT 04-17-2008 09:51 PM

i've never had a problem w/ debris in my rubber, but if it happened i'd just leave my bike on the side of the road and give up riding all together.

Mr Lefty 04-17-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT (Post 33325)
then you would have died, smart guy.

ok smart ass I meant if I didn't die from the fall...

NONE_too_SOFT 04-17-2008 10:51 PM

yea, then you would have died because nobody ever found your ass.

ceo012384 04-18-2008 12:33 AM

You don't want to plug a bike tire. Bad idea.

Amber Lamps 04-18-2008 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceo012384 (Post 33461)
You don't want to plug a bike tire. Bad idea.

Ok I checked just about EVERY motorcycle tire website and they all aprove the interior patching of their tires. Most want you to use a plug patch but all agree that the repair must be performed from the inside. They have different provisos,ie; tread depth,location of puncture,size of puncture,etc. In my mind that says it's ok to patch a tire cause you know they all have teams of lawyers who wouldn't allow them to ok repairs of any kind if it wasn't 110% ok. Ofcourse a couple of them grouse about speed, qualified repair facility, etc.

The thing I love the most was the parts guy at the local dealership telling me that he LOVES guys like you 'cause he hasn't purchased a rear tire in YEARS. He just gets the tires you guys bring in with a flat and runs them down to the tire shop down the street (where I went)and has them repaired($5 off the rim). He told me that he's literally gotten tires with less than 200 miles on them.

NONE_too_SOFT 04-18-2008 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGGER (Post 33491)
Ok I checked just about EVERY motorcycle tire website and they all aprove the interior patching of their tires. Most want you to use a plug patch but all agree that the repair must be performed from the inside. They have different provisos,ie; tread depth,location of puncture,size of puncture,etc. In my mind that says it's ok to patch a tire cause you know they all have teams of lawyers who wouldn't allow them to ok repairs of any kind if it wasn't 110% ok. Ofcourse a couple of them grouse about speed, qualified repair facility, etc.

The thing I love the most was the parts guy at the local dealership telling me that he LOVES guys like you 'cause he hasn't purchased a rear tire in YEARS. He just gets the tires you guys bring in with a flat and runs them down to the tire shop down the street (where I went)and has them repaired($5 off the rim). He told me that he's literally gotten tires with less than 200 miles on them.

hell, if i'd spend a thousand on a bike just for cosmetic upgrades and shit, whats a couple hundred just for tires.

z06boy 04-18-2008 09:29 AM

I've always wondered about this too...I definitely see both sides of it but have never plugged a motorcycle tire "just in case".

Having said this...the R6 that my wife rides got a nail in it with only 800 miles on it.:panic: Since it was her bike I didn't want to take any chances so we bought a new tire.

Soooo....

For Sale...one... 180 x 55 x 17 Dunlop Qualifier 800 miles...no wheelies...no burnouts...fat chicken strips (new rider) with one small pin hole.

All resonable offers considered. :dthumb: