Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Track (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Trackday tomorrow (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=15265)

azoomm 06-18-2010 08:13 PM

Trackday tomorrow

Expected heat index of 105. :panic:

Full Throttle 06-18-2010 10:39 PM

Lol Have fun and remember if its that hot outside then the track is hotter and your tires will get slick with that much heat. We dont want you wrecking your bike. Have fun suit up and be safe.

fasternyou929 06-18-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 384689)
Expected heat index of 105. :panic:

We had that at CMP last weekend. The temperature on my XT lap timer read 118 degrees in the 3pm session.

I think I'm still dehydrated.

Remind everyone to keep their head on out there and remind them the track loses traction in high heat! That saturday we had 3 ambulance rides and one life flight. :(

Sean 06-18-2010 11:38 PM

I've done track days in temps of 110+ in the shade a bunch of times :)

Drink water, stay in the shade, use any air conditioning liberally. If you've got it, use a mister kit (works great in the desert, not sure how well it would work in the humid south). I wear an underarmor shirt under my leathers and soak it in my cooler in between sessions. Makes a big difference. Drinking very cold water makes a big difference as well. Stock up on ice!!!

Luck...I'm supposed to be at the track tomorrow too (Road Atlanta!!!) but my tow vehicle blew up last night :(

derf 06-19-2010 12:03 AM

I got a really big fan that blows like a hurricane for days like that

fasternyou929 06-19-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 384763)
I've done track days in temps of 110+ in the shade a bunch of times :)

Drink water, stay in the shade, use any air conditioning liberally. If you've got it, use a mister kit (works great in the desert, not sure how well it would work in the humid south). I wear an underarmor shirt under my leathers and soak it in my cooler in between sessions. Makes a big difference. Drinking very cold water makes a big difference as well. Stock up on ice!!!

Luck...I'm supposed to be at the track tomorrow too (Road Atlanta!!!) but my tow vehicle blew up last night :(

RA is one of my favorite tracks, what brings you way out this way?

TYEster 06-19-2010 06:46 AM

We've ridden in hotter, think of it as "conditioning training" for everyone. ;)

Particle Man 06-19-2010 08:26 AM

to hell with all these people are saying: I stay the eff indoors when it's that hot :lol:

I'm not built for high heat

Archren 06-19-2010 08:42 AM

I just came from where it was 120 in the shade (Kuwait), so 105 actually doesn't seem that bad now. :lol:

I think everyone else already covered it. If you're not out riding, you should be inside the clubhouse cooling off, drinking water (NOT soda), and eating at least some snacks (Gatorade isn't the best substitute for electrolyte replenishment, but it will do in a pinch). Skipping breakfast should not be an option - people who do would be just setting themselves up for failure.

Misters help, big fans for the shaded areas if they are available for when people are in the pits. Sean's idea of soaking his underarmor in cold water to wear during sessions is perfect. Even if it's just a regular cotton t-shirt is fine, it helps keep the core temperature down.

That being said, proper hydration is the most important aspect of it. And people often don't realize how physically intensive riding is. Stress to them that if they start to feel "off" in any way, to bring it in and take a break. Heat injuries are insidious, they sneak up on you and most people don't realize they're getting to that point until they are passing out.

*steps off soap box*

pdog 06-19-2010 12:59 PM

This is why I don't do track days in TX in the summer. It's the opposite of fun.