Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   A little suspension set up (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=1412)

marko138 05-12-2008 09:37 AM

A little suspension set up

I did a quasi-suspension dial in yesterday. First time I've ever messed with suspension. After reading the XB owners manual and the Service manual...I felt confident enough to tweak it a bit.

The previous owner was considerably lighter than me. And the Buell seemed a little harsh over rough pavement.

I figured out that he had the bike set up for a 160 lb rider. I am NOT 160. So I dialed in a little preload. Haven't really got to give it the berries yet but the bike felt better to me. I might dabble with just a touch of compression too...after I can give it a proper shake down.

The bottom line is this: If your bike has a fully adjustable suspension....learn how to adjust it. Just setting it up for your weight is gonna make a big difference.

Trip 05-12-2008 09:41 AM

If you can get a pro tech to teach all the better, I get mine set by a local for pretty cheap. It does wonders to performance. One of the best mods you can do to a bike.

DLIT 05-12-2008 01:01 PM

Yup, adjust it. I got mine adjusted for the first time ever last track day and I immediately cut my personnal best the next session out.

dReWpY 05-12-2008 01:17 PM

trip u must put me in touch with said susupension tech

Trip 05-12-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewpy (Post 42319)
trip u must put me in touch with said susupension tech

He is not in business right now because he is going to the sandbox, you have already talked to him. You can always go to wheeler too.

Captain Morgan 05-12-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 42262)
The bottom line is this: If your bike has a fully adjustable suspension....learn how to adjust it. Just setting it up for your weight is gonna make a big difference.

There's a book out there... 101 Sportbike tips and tricks (or modifications, or something or another) that has a step-by-step for setting up your suspension. Plus, it has another 100 tips and is well worth the money.

Mule 05-12-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 42262)
I did a quasi-suspension dial in yesterday. First time I've ever messed with suspension. After reading the XB owners manual and the Service manual...I felt confident enough to tweak it a bit.

The previous owner was considerably lighter than me. And the Buell seemed a little harsh over rough pavement.

I figured out that he had the bike set up for a 160 lb rider. I am NOT 160. So I dialed in a little preload. Haven't really got to give it the berries yet but the bike felt better to me. I might dabble with just a touch of compression too...after I can give it a proper shake down.

Good deal, bro....

By far one of the best things you can do to start off....and the simplicity of the Buell machines makes it a cinch for adjustment (provided you have a shop manual).

pickle.of.doom 05-12-2008 01:50 PM

Yer fucked marko...

You need to actually socialize with 2 other people (in person) long enough to get them to help you set your sag :lol:

dReWpY 05-12-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 42322)
He is not in business right now because he is going to the sandbox, you have already talked to him. You can always go to wheeler too.

i was hoping you werent talking about him, i need to find someone to check the valves here shortly before the trackday too.... when does he leave? more so i can wish him luck then anything, ill get ahold of wheeler in june when i move down about the bike

Trip 05-12-2008 01:53 PM

He is no longer working on bikes. Yer fucked when it comes to him.