Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Just bought a bike... (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=16239)

Triple 08-31-2010 02:13 PM

Just bought a bike...

... and already the crap is hitting the fan.

Took a plane and two trains to reach the dealer, and 400 miles into the ride (about 300 miles from home) it broke down and stranded me. In the middle of the night. Miles away from the nearest motel and truck rental place. With no phone service. Awesome.

Come to find out the bike has three outstanding recalls, one of which directly affected the breakdown. It was a Triumph bike sold through a non-Triumph dealer.

Also: anyone know how to cross-reference an engine serial number to a bike's VIN, to make sure they match?

Particle Man 08-31-2010 02:30 PM

A dealer should be able to do the cross reference. That sucks dude.

tached1000rr 08-31-2010 02:31 PM

can't help out with this one, but just wanted to say I hope things get resolved in your favor. Keep us posted.

shmike 08-31-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple (Post 405216)
Also: anyone know how to cross-reference an engine serial number to a bike's VIN, to make sure they match?

PM Curb.

He works for a Triumph dealer.

tallywacker 08-31-2010 07:16 PM

Where are you local to right now? Maybe someone is close that can help

Curb 08-31-2010 07:38 PM

I just got your message. I logged into the Triumph site and ran your vin...this is what is outstanding...

SB300...which is a mod to the wiring harness from the alternator (probably what caused your bike to stop working)
SB312...this is just for a different spark plug spanner
SB350...this is to change connectors from plastic to metal from the fuel lines to the fuel tank.

hope this helps out...oh and the engine number is on the right side above the clutch cover...set back a little under the frame, you'll probably need a flash light to see it.

Triple 08-31-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curb (Post 405273)
I just got your message. I logged into the Triumph site and ran your vin...this is what is outstanding...

SB300...which is a mod to the wiring harness from the alternator (probably what caused your bike to stop working)
SB312...this is just for a different spark plug spanner
SB350...this is to change connectors from plastic to metal from the fuel lines to the fuel tank.

hope this helps out...oh and the engine number is on the right side above the clutch cover...set back a little under the frame, you'll probably need a flash light to see it.

Recall SB350 is what caused my bike to stop working. One of the brittle plastic fuel connectors snapped, letting gas spill out freely. Removing the connector prevents more fuel from leaking out, but a broken connector cannot be reinstalled. From what I've gathered, exactly the reason the recall was issued in the first place.

Do I have to remove any bodywork to see the engine number? I just spent ten minutes looking and I couldn't see anything.

Curb 08-31-2010 10:54 PM

Yeah...you'll have to pull off the right side fairing.

Tsunami 09-01-2010 01:05 AM

Thats sucks Trip :(

I hope you get home safely!

Particle Man 09-01-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple (Post 405335)
Recall SB350 is what caused my bike to stop working. One of the brittle plastic fuel connectors snapped, letting gas spill out freely. Removing the connector prevents more fuel from leaking out, but a broken connector cannot be reinstalled. From what I've gathered, exactly the reason the recall was issued in the first place.

Do I have to remove any bodywork to see the engine number? I just spent ten minutes looking and I couldn't see anything.

The bike dying is the least of your worries. You're lucky that's all that happened :eek: