Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Manufacturer War (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Honda reliablity (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=5054)

dReWpY 01-07-2009 05:37 PM

Honda reliablity

ok, as many of you may or may not know, i own a rc51 that i got off of another member of another board.

he babied this thing and it was in great shape, i on the other hand have ridden the piss out of this thing, track days to cross country trips

think 22,XXX miles in a year some odd months

to date i have changed the chain cause it was worn, and had a bulb go out on me and had to replace a fork seal... thats the only things that has gone out (other then tires)

I have changed the oil every 4,000 miles (rotella syn) and change the brake fluid once a year

I took it in to have the valves checked, the service guy took a listen to them and said they sounded fine and to not worry about them till either they made noise or roughly 32,000 miles which is double the service time that they recommend

my front sproket i was looking at replacing, took a closer look at it... its still in perfect operational order!!! 28,000 miles on that sprocket and its still in good shape!!!

my kawi that i had prior this was starting to crap out on me with only 16,ooo miles, the fast start cable, the clutch yadda yadda....

i just wish all bikes had the reliablity of a honda

the point of this thread: HONDA>ALL (all being the big four in this case)

tached1000rr 01-07-2009 06:20 PM

I'm a honda man myself, always have been, not I won't or don't own other bikes, Honda just has that special place in my heart. Honda's are rock solid, you often hear that they are not the best handling, heavy, no top end etc yada-yada, but the average honda owner doesn't have the skills to realize any differences amongst the four japanese manufacturers so who cares..... Hondas Rock!:rockout:

PhiSig1071 01-07-2009 06:34 PM

Honda's are very reliable, but I have to say I have had very good luck with my Suzuki too. It's got a hair under 30k miles and no serious issues. And they're hard miles, everything from commuting to trackdays and everything in between.

BobTheBiker 01-07-2009 08:27 PM

my 87 600F has 42,6xx miles on it, I just finished cleaning the valves up after a previous owner's neglecting to rejet it for a full exhaust and she runs beautifully now. it feels like I'm riding a bulldozer, it just keeps on pushing no matter what.

Mr Lefty 01-07-2009 08:38 PM

and cue thirdgen to chime in :lol:

BobTheBiker 01-07-2009 08:54 PM

yeah, what's he up to? 150K by now?

Cutty72 01-07-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheBiker (Post 141629)
yeah, what's he up to? 150K by now?

144 per his sig.

BobTheBiker 01-07-2009 11:21 PM

IS that mofo going for some world record? most miles on a sportbike before a rebuild? or is he just trying to put 500k on it so he can show honda every time the odometer rolls over and say This bike got me 500K miles, can I have a new one?

Mr Lefty 01-07-2009 11:28 PM

to me it's refreshing to see though... in my experience it's rare to see a sportbike with more than 20K... and even more so that it's put on by one person.

I wanna get a brand new 600 and basicly do the same... keep the bike at LEAST until I get over 100k.

if ya think about it... the way these bikes change hands 3 or 4 times prior to reach'n 30k it's a wonder what maintenance has been done? I mean it's one thing to change the oil every 3-5k... but valve adjustments? fork oil? clutch plates? :idk:

good on ya third gen... and the rest of ya'll who rack up billions of miles on your bikes

No Worries 01-08-2009 12:30 AM

Only 56K on my CBR1000F and it took a crap. Usual Honda weakness, the cam chain/tensioner. With 150 links in the cam chain, even if each link only stretches 1/100 of an inch, that's 1.5 inches of stretch. I think the CCT can't manage that much. Anyway, I'm replacing the chain, tensioner, lapping the valves, and I'm going to slot the cam sprockets for more accurate timing. Otherwise, I just love the bike. It really does do it all.