Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How do you store your bike in winter? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=16165)

Curb 08-25-2010 09:17 PM

How do you store your bike in winter?

Just like the title says...

I had a guy call me today, who was a bit of a pain in the ass the last time he spoke to me...3 months ago. Anyway, this guy has a Ducati Sport 1000 he keeps it down here and spends about 4-6 weeks at a time traveling. So he told me that his tank is expanding...for a third time (in case any duc owners don't know, Ducati is replacing all fuel tanks on their bikes as they expand of of the frames). So he called me today about 3 months after we replaced the tank that it is loose again.

So the question arose, how do you store your bike when you are not around? He told me that he fills the tank with fuel and puts stabil in it. I told him that he should drain the tank and vent it. He then said, "well, I used to do it that way until I started doing research on line and calling other Ducati dealers to ask what is the best way to store a bike for long periods." Their answers were to fill the tank and add stabil.

So, I ask you guys. How do you store your bikes when your riding season ends?

thanks

jtemple 08-25-2010 09:40 PM

On EFI machines (my bikes), I've always filled the tank and added Stabil. On carbed machines (lawn mower, snow blower, etc), I've always drained the tank and then ran them until they died, to get the fuel out of the lines. I have never vented a tank, though. Bikes have vents built in and the fuel cap will let pressure vent automatically. At least all of mine have done that.

Trip 08-25-2010 10:16 PM

jtemple gotz it right, drain carbs, stabil efi. None of mine really get stored anymore though. The lawnmower is about it on winter storage.

derf 08-25-2010 10:41 PM

Yep, each bike gets ridden at least once a week, never has a problem with a bike not working because it sat

ontwo 08-25-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 403794)
jtemple gotz it right, drain carbs, stabil efi. None of mine really get stored anymore though. The lawnmower is about it on winter storage.

Yep. I store the lawnmower, weedeater, leaf blower, pressure washer. I'm mowing every 4 days. So I'm ready for storage weather.

Curb 08-25-2010 10:46 PM

Thanks for the feed back...looks like i've been out of the northeast for way too long, haha. I've always drained the tank on my machines. of course i moved from the northeast when EFI was not on bikes yet.

living in FL there isn't much of a need to winterize your machines.

And as far as venting on Ducati's go, their venting system sucks

z06boy 08-26-2010 09:13 AM

I have a garage and ride it for most of the year so I don't have to worry about it BUT when I used to have to worry about it I filled the tank and added Stabil.

I own a boat and for the winter I fill the tank and add Stabil and also a few other things.

marko138 08-26-2010 09:26 AM

I've always filled the tank and put Sta-bil or Seafoam in it. Never ever had a problem.

azoomm 08-26-2010 10:11 AM

When your riding season ends, our riding season really begins.

Particle Man 08-26-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 403792)
On EFI machines (my bikes), I've always filled the tank and added Stabil. On carbed machines (lawn mower, snow blower, etc), I've always drained the tank and then ran them until they died, to get the fuel out of the lines. I have never vented a tank, though. Bikes have vents built in and the fuel cap will let pressure vent automatically. At least all of mine have done that.

word for word

I usually get the chance to ride the bike once or twice over the winter too