Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Modding (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Garage Door Opener (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=18311)

jtemple 02-19-2011 11:30 AM

Garage Door Opener

I have a keychain garage door opener that's about as water resistant as a sock filled with holes. It runs off of an A23 12V battery, and I want to hard wire the guts of it into my bike and mount a switch on the top bar clamp. What I need is some way to make the electronics water resistant. Should I just drill into the case to run wires into it and seal it up with hot glue? Or is there better option?

Amber Lamps 02-19-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 451146)
I have a keychain garage door opener that's about as water resistant as a sock filled with holes. It runs off of an A23 12V battery, and I want to hard wire the guts of it into my bike and mount a switch on the top bar clamp. What I need is some way to make the electronics water resistant. Should I just drill into the case to run wires into it and seal it up with hot glue? Or is there better option?

My absolute favorite way to do this is to remove the battery and run your horn wires to the leads, "T" taps work okay, be mindful of pos/neg and rig the button to be pressed in all the time. Wrap it in tape to seal it and strap it in by the horn/on the horn bracket. Viola, when you pull up to your house, beep the horn and your garage door will open. I really should sell these....

azoomm 02-19-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 451149)
My absolute favorite way to do this is to remove the battery and run your horn wires to the leads, "T" taps work okay, be mindful of pos/neg and rig the button to be pressed in all the time. Wrap it in tape to seal it and strap it in by the horn/on the horn bracket. Viola, when you pull up to your house, beep the horn and your garage door will open. I really should sell these....

We've done the same thing, except used connections found at West Marine. I've found, if you want something weather-proof - look for something commonly used on a boat :wink:

Particle Man 02-19-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 451156)
I've found, if you want something weather-proof - look for something commonly used on a boat :wink:

Same here. Any plugs, connections, etc, I usually use marine grade materials.

jtemple 02-19-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lamps (Post 451149)

On the sportbike, that's how I'd have done it. On the TE, the bar clamp I'm getting (it comes with the handguard I'm ordering) comes with switch mounts. The switches are only $4 each. My plan is to set up a dedicated circuit, to avoid cutting into the wiring harness.

Trip 02-19-2011 12:56 PM

Hot glue will seal something. So will silicone.

My ass is too cheap to use marine grade. Especially for the amount of connections I make on my property for Christmas. Never had an issue with snow or rain.

For a street motorcycle (dirt riders need not apply since they have stream crossing that could be an issue), you are looking more for a barrier than a sealant. Water can intrude as long as it doesn't bridge any connections ie: standing water and such that boats have to worry about. And you also aren't as worried about contaminants like salt from salt water rusting shit, so tape would also work fine for street moto applications.

We are talking about the TE though, so seal it.

jtemple 02-19-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 451167)
Hot glue will seal something. So will silicone.

My ass is too cheap to use marine grade. Especially for the amount of connections I make on my property for Christmas. Never had an issue with snow or rain.

I have both. I'll probably try the silicone first and just seal up the existing enclosure. It's just a keyfob door opener.

goof2 02-19-2011 02:07 PM

If you don't want to dump silicone all over the electrical components (in case you need to get to dip switches or programing buttons) pick up what is called a heat shrink end cap. Stick the electrical guts in the end cap with the wires sticking out and shrink it down. Then you only have to seal where the wires are coming out. You could also use regular heat shrink tubing, which should be easier to find, and just seal up both ends.

jtemple 02-19-2011 04:39 PM

Eh, the fob is cheap. If it comes down to that I'd just buy a new one.

Papa_Complex 02-20-2011 07:49 PM

Open up the remote case to add a connector for a parallel door switch then put the whole thing in a weather sealed iPod case, like one of the units sold by Pelican. It's about as water tight as you can get. Just toss in a couple of desiccant packs, to keep condensation from forming.