Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Army arrests Seattle civilian in paperwork mix-up (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=9648)

pauldun170 07-28-2009 01:51 PM

Army arrests Seattle civilian in paperwork mix-up

Army arrests Seattle civilian in paperwork mix-up

By RAY LANE
KOMO-TV STAFF

A local man returning from a trip to Central America was dumbfounded when military officials had him arrested for being a deserter - even though he was never in the military.

"To one day just be arrested, and like - here you go, you're detained, and not have any idea why ..." said Chris Parks of Seattle, his voice trailing off.

For Parks, 27, the incredible headache began a few weeks ago as he and some friends were coming back to the United States after a trip to Mexico and Central America.

As he went through customs at the Charlotte airport in North Carolina, his name caught the attention of Homeland Security personnel.

Parks' name was flagged as being a deserter from the military.

"I've been in the Army for 10 years, and didn't even know it," he says. "Just seems kind of odd."

He was tossed into the county jail in Charlotte and locked up for one week. When told he was a fugitive, he was floored.

Parks was then ordered to report to Fort Knox in Kentucky - where he sat and waited and waited some more with actual military deserters.

His head was shaved, he was issued fatigues. He was afraid he would be court-martialed.

"I was at Fort Knox for one week - and I almost didn't get out," Parks said.

Parks said that when he was 18, he nearly joined the Army. But at the last minute, he backed out.

Apparently, that message never got through the military's system.

"How paperwork could have gotten messed up enough to say that I was actually in the military and made it there - and it actually says that I was in there for two years before they finally figured out that I wasn't - and started counting me as a deserter," Parks said.

Army records showed that Parks had gone through basic training in South Carolina, then went AWOL from a base in Georgia.

He insists that never happened, and wondered if his military recruiter from 10 years ago hung him out to dry by never processing his paperwork to "de-enlist."

Said Parks: "I think it's probably something they don't want a lot of people to know about. And I don't really blame them."

Parks said he now carries documents to prove to authorities he's not a deserter. But he still hasn't received a full explanation from the Army about how this all happened.

He said being detained cost him about $1,500 - plus lost time at work.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/408466_deserter26.html

Dave 07-28-2009 02:12 PM

this is whats in store for everybody

Rider 07-28-2009 02:15 PM

:doh:

Smittie61984 07-28-2009 09:03 PM

He could be an E-6 by now

askmrjesus 07-28-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 248158)
this is whats in store for everybody

Somehow I doubt that. :lol:

JC

askmrjesus 07-28-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 248424)
WOW... he needs a hungry pimp jew lawyer.

He needs something.

I don't know if it's just how the article was written (poorly) but this part made me wonder:

"Parks was then ordered to report to Fort Knox in Kentucky - where he sat and waited and waited some more with actual military deserters.

His head was shaved, he was issued fatigues. He was afraid he would be court-martialed."

Ordered? By whom? The Army he didn't belong to? :lol:

If he willing went to Fort Knox, and let them shave his head, he deserves a kick in the nuts for being a dumbass and a pussy.

JC

derf 07-29-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 248438)
He needs something.

I don't know if it's just how the article was written (poorly) but this part made me wonder:

"Parks was then ordered to report to Fort Knox in Kentucky - where he sat and waited and waited some more with actual military deserters.

His head was shaved, he was issued fatigues. He was afraid he would be court-martialed."

Ordered? By whom? The Army he didn't belong to? :lol:

If he willing went to Fort Knox, and let them shave his head, he deserves a kick in the nuts for being a dumbass and a pussy.

JC

There is something not right about the story. All deserters I have dealt with usually get a slap on the wrist, a bench warrant (with a sub $1k bail if caught), and a dishonerable duscharge. They really dont do any more than that anymore.

Mr Lefty 07-29-2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 248463)
There is something not right about the story. All deserters I have dealt with usually get a slap on the wrist, a bench warrant (with a sub $1k bail if caught), and a dishonerable duscharge. They really dont do any more than that anymore.

exactly... though 10 years? odd that he hasn't had a ticket or dealt with the government in any way in 10 years... I mean I know they don't really LOOK for deserters... but that's just odd.

I'm not sure about the Army... but the AF send you back to the base you deserted from... and during basic we take accountability every damn morning same with our tech school (what I work at right now) no way a phantom Airmen could get through...

They have to outprocess... we dont' do it for them... so if they're not here to walk their orders around... it doesn't get done... PERIOD.

but that may be different to how they did things 10 years ago in the army

Gas Man 07-29-2009 02:29 PM

Parks needs to check these guys out.

The Bernstein Advantage

I hear they are REAL good!

Rider 07-29-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 248735)
Parks needs to check these guys out.

The Bernstein Advantage

I hear they are REAL good!

:rf: Just hope you don't get the retarded looking one.