Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Modding (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   new Sena couple of questions (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=21448)

tommymac 06-18-2012 06:22 PM

new Sena couple of questions

So I am finally gettin gmy new sena up and going adn already have a few question sin regards to mounting the unit and headphones.I have a shoei RF1000 for reference.

It looks like I will have to use the adhesive since the bracketwont slip righ tunder the padding due to a strip of leather being there. Did any of yo uhave to go this route. I just wanted to know how secure this adhesive stuff is.

Also any tricks for positioning the headphones. There is a cutout for the ears and will have to use the felt adhesive in there to keep it in place.

I am sure there will be a ton more questions being I am so tech savvy LOL

Trip 06-18-2012 07:44 PM

Had to do my schuberth the same way. Holds fine.

Adjusting ear piece is just trial and error. Try and move your helmet around while wearing it and see if it gets louder. If it gets louder, move the earphones in the opposite direction of which way you had to move the helmet. Keep doing that til the loudest point is dead center of where you wear your helmet

Captain Morgan 06-18-2012 07:52 PM

Also, from experience of wearing Trips Sena on the BRP, once you get your earpieces situated where you want them, use a marker and draw the outline of the speaker, then cut a little bit of the helmet foam out where you want the speaker so you can have the speaker recessed. Otherwise, if you have ears that stick out like mine, the speakers will rub your ears and make them sore after some miles.

tommymac 06-18-2012 10:27 PM

trip, turns out I can pull tha tpiece out so I dont need to use the adhesive. So thats one less problem. I got a prety good idea on where I want the ear pieces. its not perfect because a snap to the helmet foam is in the way but I think it will be ok. On my shoei there isnt any foam over the ears so the phones will sit prety far back. I suffered a simialr problem with my old chatter box. The earpieces would irritate my ears after an hour or so of constant riding.

derf 06-19-2012 01:34 AM

The sena earpieces hit my ears unless I use an exacto knife and cut out room for them to sit in

Trip 06-19-2012 07:30 AM

new touring helmets come with speaker pockets. Schuberth does and it's awesome.

Gas Man 06-19-2012 08:02 AM

I just found out that my iPhone will bluetooth with my Zumo for the phone aspect and my Sena for mp3/pandora music! YEA!!!

tommymac 06-19-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 514253)
I just found out that my iPhone will bluetooth with my Zumo for the phone aspect and my Sena for mp3/pandora music! YEA!!!

Thats the main thing I want to try with it for my commuting, I was figuring it will be great for the gps aspect too but most of th etim eI am just trollin gto and from work, so soem streaming music or if I can get radio stations through my phone that would rock too.

Trip 06-19-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 514253)

That was part of the new firmware update, seperating out the media device from the phone device.

I wish they would update to let you program in your own priority. I hate the GPS being first. Wish communicator was first.

Gas Man 06-19-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 514255)
That was part of the new firmware update, seperating out the media device from the phone device.

I wish they would update to let you program in your own priority. I hate the GPS being first. Wish communicator was first.

Well the Sena can do that and always could. What I was surprised was the iPhone being able to bluetooth to more than one item.

I have heard good things about the new OiS 6.0, can't wait for that.

Turbo Ghost 06-19-2012 09:40 AM

Welcome (finally) to the Sena club! I listen to podcasts a lot when I'm riding. I've got the Motorola Razr but, I just use it for phone and use my ipod for music and podcasts. The wife really loves it since she can listen to music now when we ride and talk to me if she wants.

Trip 06-19-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 514269)
Well the Sena can do that and always could. What I was surprised was the iPhone being able to bluetooth to more than one item.

I have heard good things about the new OiS 6.0, can't wait for that.

Android phones can do that too. I haven't had a smartphone that couldn't. Earlier versions of Sena's firmware couldn't do it though. It was an all or nothing thing with connecting to the phone. It got confused when you connected the phone to the gps and then to the sena.

tommymac 06-19-2012 09:56 AM

I just got the phone paired up withthe sena :rockwoot:

I feel like a tech geek now LOL I have an android OS on a samsung galaxy. I need ot get pandora on there so I can have music. I will tinker with it mor elater on and may make a train run with it when I go home tonight.

jtemple 06-19-2012 03:47 PM

How bad does wind noise interfere with your ability to hear the speakers in these things? Can you wear earplugs while you use them and not give up too much audio quality?

Trip 06-19-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 514320)
How bad does wind noise interfere with your ability to hear the speakers in these things? Can you wear earplugs while you use them and not give up too much audio quality?

I have can hear mine going 90mph and wear ear plugs, should work fine for you. LOL

This is when a good helmet makes a difference though.

Turbo Ghost 06-19-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 514320)

The earplugs are what allow you to be able to hear the speakers. They dampen the wind noise. You probably would be deaf in a week if you listened without earplugs at full-volume! They are loud! There are certain songs I have that were recorded at a lower volume for some reason that can be a bit hard to hear but for the most part everything is great!
One really good thing about the Sena is each profile (phone, gps, music, intercomm) has its' own volume level. My phone is REALLY loud so, it gets turned down a bit and the volume stays where you set it and then when you go back to your music, it's at the volume you left it!

jtemple 06-19-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 514322)
I have can hear mine going 90mph and wear ear plugs, should work fine for you. LOL

This is when a good helmet makes a difference though.

I have a Shoei RF1000 (that I don't wear any more) and a Hornet (what I usually wear). The Hornet is quite a bit noisier than the RF1000.

tommymac 06-19-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 514324)
I have a Shoei RF1000 (that I don't wear any more) and a Hornet (what I usually wear). The Hornet is quite a bit noisier than the RF1000.

I just mounted everything into my RF1000. Took a little doing and couldnt mount the speakers righ tover my ear canal due ot where the liners snap in, but just sitting around it sounds and feels prety good. I will give it a trial run tonight and tomorrow to see how it does at highway speeds.

Turbo Ghost 06-19-2012 05:15 PM

I definitely recommend setting up the volumes with earplugs in before mounting the bike. That way you won't run into the situation where you can't hear anything and have to fiddle with it while riding or you get blasted. Either way, ride in a safe place so you have less to deal with while getting it sorted-out! Good luck and be safe!

Captain Morgan 06-19-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 514252)
new touring helmets come with speaker pockets. Schuberth does and it's awesome.

Good, because Schuberth is on my list. It sounds like a great helmet, from all you and others have said about it.

tommymac 06-20-2012 06:46 AM

So I rode home and to work today. Wasnt too happy with it, doesnt seem loud enough. its prety good at lower speeds but on the hwy the wind noise makes it prety bad where I cant hear much of the songs and forget about listening to a pod cast.

I tried moving them in the helmet from last night, didnt help and actualy bothered my ears a bit. I turned the system volume all the way up on my phone so i am hoping that helps. Since I am at the jobsite today I should be able to get my hands on a pair of earplugs so I am hoping that cancels out the wind noise.

Trip and traces praises of the scheuberth have me seriously considering biting the bullet to get one. I am selling soem old futura parts for some extra cash, and wifey even said she will never give me grief over buying new/good gear :rockwoot: