Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Spark plugs? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=7382)

Gas Man 04-11-2009 06:54 PM

Ran NGK double plats in the 9R till the Iridiums came out then those.
Ran champs in the chop
Got HD's in the HD's... DUH

marko138 04-11-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 195602)
Ran NGK double plats in the 9R till the Iridiums came out then those.
Ran champs in the chop
Got HD's in the HD's... DUH

I gotta tell you about calling the non-Buell HD dealer to get plugs for my bike. It was funny.

101lifts2 04-11-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 195549)
Those are nice theories.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way in the real world.

For one thing, even if the heads of mass produced bikes had all their threads in exactly the same sync (which they don't) the spark plugs would still not be. The ones I'm holding in my hand aren't, and they weren't exactly cheap, so, so much for theory #1......JC

I think there are many more variables that you can control (fuel quality, a/f ratio control, vehicle weight etc.) that will do more than attempting to position the spark plugs in the same position. Besides, there are alot of plugs these days that have 1 center electrode and 4 side electrodes making its position almost negligible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 195549)
Those are nice theories......
As for theory #2, whether or not the fuel/air mix swirls perfectly, depends on many variables, including variables caused by after-market mods like air filters, so, so much for theory #2.

The question isn't whether or not the bike will run, it's, can you make it run better?

JC

Agreed...but the mods will make more of a difference than spark plug electrode position.

Rangerscott 04-11-2009 11:28 PM

Champion FTL on ninja 250's. They are the wrong heat (wrong cross reference on champions part) and will crack, electrode melts, and/or might break apart into the engine.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Changin...rands_to_avoid

I've only used NGK on my bikes.

Gas Man 04-11-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 195621)
I gotta tell you about calling the non-Buell HD dealer to get plugs for my bike. It was funny.

What like... tell me on the phone? Speak it!

marko138 04-11-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 195670)
What like... tell me on the phone? Speak it!

Alright...so my nearest Buell dealer is an hour away. The manual calls for Harley plugs. I figure I'll try the nearest HD dealer (15 minutes away).

Me: Looking for spark plugs. 10R12A.

Him: What the hell bike is that out of?!?!?!

Me: A Buell.

Him: Oh boy. (long pause) Let me go look.

Him: HEY! I found some!

Me: SWEET! Put them aside, I'll be there in 15 minutes.

Gas Man 04-11-2009 11:45 PM

"oh boy"

:lol:

That is some funny shit! I do feel bad for you Buell guys. Having to put up with that shit all the time at the HD dealer.

askmrjesus 04-12-2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101lifts2 (Post 195637)
I think there are many more variables that you can control (fuel quality, a/f ratio control, vehicle weight etc.) that will do more than attempting to position the spark plugs in the same position. Besides, there are alot of plugs these days that have 1 center electrode and 4 side electrodes making its position almost negligible.

Agreed...but the mods will make more of a difference than spark plug electrode position.

Where have I heard that before...:scratch:

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 195417)
I have indexed plugs on two strokes, (adding washers to get the plug gap to face the intake ports) but I wouldn't recommended it on an I4, unless you have a dyno, and shit loads of time of your hands. Even then, you'd be lucky to get 1HP for every 100HP you started with.

JC

Oh yeah, now I remember....:lol:

JC

Particle Man 04-12-2009 05:03 PM

brutal JC :lol: Someone rose from the dead on the wrong side of the crypt this Easter Sunday :lol: :lol:

For the record I use stock plugs. Never had an issue.

101lifts2 04-12-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 195722)
Where have I heard that before...:scratch:

Oh yeah, now I remember....:lol:

JC

Dude be nice to me...punk. :drool: