Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rip Baby Viff.... (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=19593)

Porkchop 06-30-2011 05:02 PM

Rip Baby Viff....

So I am now currently bikeless again. I think the babycepter took its final breath as a whole bike. She went in the shop to get new tires, a new battery, and to check on the carbs. I got a Voicemail today from my guy saying very bluntly "call me, we need to talk about your bike." Apparently before they dug into it too much, they ran some compression tests and its not good. They decided to stop and not tear it apart before they asked me but he suspects that some rings aren't seated. He doesn't think it threw something because it has never made any suspect noises. But they noticed some rust on the heads which lead him to believe the engine may have sat without carbs for a period of time. Both him, who is the service manager, and their top technician both told me it was done. They don't know if they could find parts, and generally its just not worth it.

So rip Viff, ill miss that sweet v4 purr..... :cry:

azoomm 06-30-2011 05:10 PM

Did I miss something? You took your bike in for some normal maintenance and come to find out the motor is punted. There was no symptom?

*shock*

Wow, that sucks...

askmrjesus 06-30-2011 05:24 PM

Find the manual and tear it apart yourself.

You have nothing to lose at this point, and I'm calling bullshit on "no parts available". It's a fucking Honda, the parts exist.

JC

Porkchop 06-30-2011 05:48 PM

Zoomie, the only symptom I saw was it was bogging down and not wanting to rev below 4k rpm, and some smoke when it was cold and idling with the choke on. I just attributed that to it being old. And it didn't look like oil smoke....

Jesus, not sure I want to invest that much work or money into a 26 year old bike that has a known track record of frying the cams due to top end oiling problems. And a track record of the motor bombing if you are riding a little too spirited. It may just be time to let her go and get with the times. I have been wanting to buy a sv650 trackbike anyway. People are already salivating for parts over at vfrworld.

defector 06-30-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 479238)

You have nothing to lose at this point, and I'm calling bullshit on "no parts available". It's a fucking Honda, the parts exist.

JC

1 billion percent truth.

Dave 06-30-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 479238)

JC

seriously. bike bandit is listing almost all the engine parts. buy some rings and a bottle hone.

Rangerscott 06-30-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 479236)
Did I miss something? You took your bike in for some normal maintenance and come to find out the motor is punted. There was no symptom?

*shock*

Wow, that sucks...

The stock engine I had in my vehicle only had two rings loose while all the others were stuck. All four pistons averaged 130 psi compression. 199 is new and 160 is service time. My engine used some oil, but ran just fine. Of course there are a lot of guys that run their engines even lower while offroading anf the engine just chugs along.

derf 06-30-2011 11:43 PM

I'll take it, even give you current value for a 30 year old non running bike, minus shipping costa if course

Really dude. Hone, rings. Not exactly rocket surgery.

RedRider2k2 07-01-2011 12:22 AM

You're going to give up on a running bike because someone told you to?

At least run your own compression test.