Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   SS Brake Lines - Who'da Thunk? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=14045)

Particle Man 04-01-2010 09:32 AM

SS Brake Lines - Who'da Thunk?

I never realized that changing the brake lines to SS Galfer lines would make so much of a difference. Holy freakin' CRAP :eek:

It only took about 45 minutes and it's like a whole new bike. I can't imagine what it will be like when I swap out the calipers next winter. :dribble:

OneSickPsycho 04-01-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 356095)
I never realized that changing the brake lines to SS Galfer lines would make so much of a difference. Holy freakin' CRAP :eek:

It only took about 45 minutes and it's like a whole new bike. I can't imagine what it will be like when I swap out the calipers next winter. :dribble:

I never did this mod until recently and it does make a major difference... Better feel, better braking.... I was pretty surprised even though I always heard what a difference it makes...

smileyman 04-01-2010 09:53 AM

It is always the first mod I do to a bike. I usually put on some decent pads while I am at it...

Particle Man 04-01-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 356099)
I never did this mod until recently and it does make a major difference... Better feel, better braking.... I was pretty surprised even though I always heard what a difference it makes...

Same here - I always figured the braking was okay for my riding style and never bothered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 356103)
It is always the first mod I do to a bike. I usually put on some decent pads while I am at it...

I'm a cheap bastard - I'm running these suckers into the ground first :D

fasternyou929 04-01-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 356105)
Same here - I always figured the braking was okay for my riding style and never bothered.

I'm a cheap bastard - I'm running these suckers into the ground first :D

Not sure what brake pads you're eying, but I highly recommend the Vesrah RJL's. If you like brake fade and the sound of cicada bugs, EBC's HH pads are where it's at. :lol:

ontwo 04-01-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 356095)

I did them at the same time. Truly amazing difference. Let me know when you get ready to do the calipers. Lots of crap and drama out there. Blair's setup has been great on mine, and he really is a standup guy.

Particle Man 04-01-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontwo (Post 356116)
I did them at the same time. Truly amazing difference. Let me know when you get ready to do the calipers. Lots of crap and drama out there. Blair's setup has been great on mine, and he really is a standup guy.

I'm gonna wait until the snow flies at the end of this riding season and then tear a whole bunch of stuff apart, brakes included.

shmike 04-01-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasternyou929 (Post 356108)
Not sure what brake pads you're eying, but I highly recommend the Vesrah RJL's. If you like brake fade and the sound of cicada bugs, EBC's HH pads are where it's at. :lol:

I couldn't agree more.

I prefer Carbone Lorraine myself. Once you have tried the Vesrah's or the CL's you'll understand how bad the EBC's are.

I'm not sure why EBC have such a following, I'm assuming people don't know any better. :idk:

Disclaimer: I actually have a set of EBC's on the bike now but I was in a pinch and that was all that was in stock. :o

pauldun170 04-01-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 356243)
I couldn't agree more.

I prefer Carbone Lorraine myself. Once you have tried the Vesrah's or the CL's you'll understand how bad the EBC's are.

I'm not sure why EBC have such a following, I'm assuming people don't know any better. :idk:

Disclaimer: I actually have a set of EBC's on the bike now but I was in a pinch and that was all that was in stock. :o

I have Galfer SS lines and ebc pads on the ZX.
They worked fine. Both purchase were made because they were "available" from the retailers I frequented at the time.

tached1000rr 04-01-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 356103)

Curious what you consider decent pads for the street?