Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Got some insider info...yet to prove it myself. (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=8185)

DLIT 05-18-2009 08:44 PM

Got some insider info...yet to prove it myself.

It involves computers from a '08 and '09 R6, and swapping them. The one to benefit is the '09 R6 by having the '08 computer in it. This guy I know who owns a shop has a buddy that works for Graves and he leaked the swap news to him. So the shop owner had a guy with a '09 R6, ran it on the dyno, came in at 99rwhp. Simply put the '08 computer in and it came in at 105rwhp. A gain of 6.6 hp at the wheel!

So...long story short, I know another guy who runs a dealership and has this '08 R6 that they're pretty much never gonna sell (long story). it has 850 miles on it. So me, being persistent when it comes to hp gains (especially when they're free), popped the question about him letting me swap the '08 for my '09. He says yes! Sweet. Just got home from doing the swap, started the bike up and runs fine. I'll be riding it to work tomorrow to see if I notice anything. I should notice a little bit with a 6 hp increase, I'm not expecting anything significant, but it should be something.

Turns out Yamaha detuned the '09s because of people dying on motorcycles. I'll let you guys know if there's a difference tomorrow.

Quick281 05-18-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 213826)
Turns out Yamaha detuned the '09s because of people dying on motorcycles. I'll let you guys know if there's a difference tomorrow.

I am in no way doubting that a PCM swap won't increase power, but this being the reasoning seems absurd. Who at Yamaha thought that such a small detune would save lives? Sportbikes and saving lives can't be on the same side.

DLIT 05-18-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick281 (Post 213830)
I am in no way doubting that a PCM swap won't increase power, but this being the reasoning seems absurd. Who at Yamaha thought that such a small detune would save lives? Sportbikes and saving lives can't be on the same side.

I hear ya.

racedoll 05-18-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIT (Post 213826)
So the shop owner had a guy with a '09 R6, ran it on the dyno, came in at 99rwhp. Simply put the '08 computer in and it came in at 105rwhp. A gain of 6.6 hp at the wheel!

Really? They are that low on horsepower? My 04 ZX6RR has 104. I thought mine was low compared to the new ones. I guess not.

As far as detuning them for safety. OK, it's similar to the govorner on a car but still. It is the responsibility of the person twisting the throttle.

DLIT 05-18-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 213847)
Really? They are that low on horsepower? My 04 ZX6RR has 104. I thought mine was low compared to the new ones. I guess not.

As far as detuning them for safety. OK, it's similar to the govorner on a car but still. It is the responsibility of the person twisting the throttle.

Dynos are different everywhere. it may be higher on the dyno that you took the Kawi to.

racedoll 05-18-2009 10:03 PM

Ah yes. I forgot about the calibration of them factoring into the numbers. Even still that seems low.

DLIT 05-18-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedoll (Post 213866)
Ah yes. I forgot about the calibration of them factoring into the numbers. Even still that seems low.

That's what I'm chocking it up to, dynos being different. The powerband still pulls like mad!

marko138 05-19-2009 09:12 AM

Makes sense. Everything I've read says the 09's are down on power from last year.

Rider 05-19-2009 09:23 AM

Make sure you check the a/f ratio. You might have more top end but you could have a flat spot somewhere in the power band. Watch your torque curve as well. It may be a little more peaky than the stock setup.

Mr Lefty 05-19-2009 10:28 AM

Interesting good score bro.

Retarded reasoning on yami's part if that's true.