Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Riding Gear (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Is your helmet responsible your hearing loss? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=20520)

Gas Man 11-08-2011 08:25 PM

Is your helmet responsible your hearing loss?

Have you even considered hearing protection on your bike? I do!

Quote:

Are Motorcycle Helmets Responsible For Hearing Loss?

Published by Cyril Huze

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/wp-cont...uze-helmet.jpg

New twist in the debate regarding motorcycling with or without helmets. Not about freedom of choice, not about health and safety benefits, not about DOT etc…

New studies published in The Journal Of The Acoustical Society Of America warn that if helmets can protect your brain they can also largely contribute to hearing loss.
Results show that the biggest and most dangerous source of noise is not the roar of your engine, but your helmet acting as a special air filter attenuating noise in the region above 500 Hz and amplifying noise in the regions below 500 Hz. Even at legal speeds, the sound of air rushing in areas underneath the helmet and near the chin bar can exceed safe levels.
For demonstration purpose, scientists placed motorcycles helmets atop mannequin heads, mounted them in a wind tunnel, and turned on the fans. By placing microphones at different locations around the helmet and at the mannequin’s ear, the researchers found that is a significant source of the noise that reaches riders” sensitive eardrums. It is the 1st time that the acoustic effect of helmets has been reported. These findings may incite or oblige, if governments get involved, helmet manufacturers to design quieter helmets and use the “riders’ ears protection” as a new marketing tool.

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/wp-cont...ds/helmets.jpg

I know that I have a "road trip" helmet which is a full face modular. I have it setup with headphones inside the helmet that work through my HD audio system. I also have it equipped with a Sena system. The modular allows me to close it in cold, rain, and to quiet down the wind.

This also allows me to not have to wear ear plugs.

Have you considered your ears when choosing your helmet?

pauldun170 11-08-2011 08:55 PM

I wear earplugs. Helmets suck at protecting hearing

Cutty72 11-08-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 498150)

This.

I prefer a well ventilated helmet. Ventilation means airflow, airflow means noise.

Earplugs take away the issue.

Particle Man 11-08-2011 09:06 PM

What?

I too wear earplugs or noise canceling earbuds

Homeslice 11-08-2011 09:41 PM

Even with earplugs, some helmets are unbearable on long trips because of the vents or a visor that doesn't seal properly.

Corey 11-08-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

This, every time I ride. My hearing is still pretty good after 15 years of riding.

askmrjesus 11-08-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 498158)
What?

He said:

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED YOUR EARS WHEN CHOOSING YOUR HELMET?

JC

Particle Man 11-08-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 498181)
He said:

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED YOUR EARS WHEN CHOOSING YOUR HELMET?

JC

Huh? Here's a moving hamlet?

quackPOT 11-08-2011 11:10 PM

No, I rely on foam earplugs or a pair of etymotic er6i stereo buds to regulate the noise my ears have to endure. I learned the value/comfort of ear plugs a long time ago.

derf 11-08-2011 11:18 PM

I generally use ear plugs on anything longer than a quick run around the block. local stuff I won't.

But I do have some hearing loss in my right ear, and I have been diagnosed with tinnitus. I believe that it has more to do with my profession than it does bikes. i used to run around shooting stuff, rifles, cannons, and stuff without earplus because I thought it was cool. Now I am seeing the error of my ways.

Particle Man 11-09-2011 07:10 AM

Hindsight does tend to be 20/20...

njchopper87 11-09-2011 11:24 AM

My commute is about 10-15 minutes, so I don't have much concern. However, on longer trips I've become convinced that its worth looking into a higher quality helmet in general. So maybe I will take noise into account on my next purchase.

No Worries 11-09-2011 10:37 PM

I don't believe the study. I'll admit I've ridden with and without a helmet. The wind noise was a zillion times louder without a helmet than with one. The engine noise wasn't a problem, I couldn't hear it over the wind roar.

RACER X 11-10-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njchopper87 (Post 498256)
My commute is about 10-15 minutes, so I don't have much concern. However, on longer trips I've become convinced that its worth looking into a higher quality helmet in general. So maybe I will take noise into account on my next purchase.

top of the line Arais and Shoei's are "race" helmets w/ lots of vents and ports, those equal noise.

Looni2ns 11-10-2011 04:46 PM

I do take my ears into consideration with helmet choice. If it's too small, it makes my ears hurt.

Now, I also consider my hearing when researching a new helmet. But, regardless, I always wear ear protection when riding. The good Lord only gave me one set, and I don't want to ruin them. My mother is severely hearing-impaired, and it's really difficult living with a hearing-impaired person. As an added benefit, wearing ear plugs reduces the wind noise, and reduces fatigue due to wind noise.

jtemple 11-10-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Earplugs. Even if I'm just going down the street.

racedoll 11-11-2011 08:00 AM

I considered the noise level when purchasing my helmet. In addition I wear ear plugs, regardless of distance. I spent some money on custom made ones so they are much more comfortable and get worn versus a cheap foam pair that I'd never wear.

Rider 11-11-2011 10:21 AM

I dont have haring loss but I always wear earplugs under my lid.

EpyonXero 11-11-2011 12:19 PM

I almost always wear earplugs.

acalliste 11-11-2011 08:50 PM

I often wear earplugs, or at least one ear plug and one ear bud since I like to listen to music while riding. I wear the earplug on the exhaust side and the ear bud on the other side.

Recently I discovered I wasn't wearing earplugs properly. Someone posted this video on another forum and it taught me how to properly put an earplug in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNPZ...layer_embedded

Gas Man 11-11-2011 09:26 PM

But now there are much better ear plugs with tapers and the now re-usable pure push in plugs.

defector 11-14-2011 02:23 PM

I never used to wear earplugs until a buddy of mine starting riding his ZX9 with a D&D exhaust on it next to me on regular trips. Suddenly, it became a smart idea.

HurricaneHeather 11-14-2011 03:42 PM

I have never once used earplugs when riding and have never thought about it until now. Damn. Now I think I should.

I have never been able to wear earbud headphones while riding since they fall out while I am putting my helmet on., so it's not worth it.

Corey 11-14-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather (Post 498869)
I have never once used earplugs when riding and have never thought about it until now. Damn. Now I think I should.

I have never been able to wear earbud headphones while riding since they fall out while I am putting my helmet on., so it's not worth it.

Foam earplugs are totally different. Compress those bitches down, stick them in your ear, and hold them while the foam expands. They're staying tight. It's a little weird at first because everything is super muted, but you can hear the things that matter without the drone of wind noise.

HurricaneHeather 11-14-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 498894)
Foam earplugs are totally different. Compress those bitches down, stick them in your ear, and hold them while the foam expands. They're staying tight. It's a little weird at first because everything is super muted, but you can hear the things that matter without the drone of wind noise.

Yeah, I'll have to give that a try. It's never really bothered me. Maybe I am mostly deaf already. :lol:

Gas Man 11-15-2011 06:36 AM

Being the safety guy at work, I purchased these the last time. They are great!

http://www.labsafety.com/e-a-r-push-...lugs_24547688/

pauldun170 11-15-2011 11:48 AM

I had picked up 50pk of 32 db 2 years ago for $10 on sale.
Can't remember where I got them from and I'm reusing some nasty plugs at this point.

Particle Man 11-15-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 498999)
I had picked up 50pk of 32 db 2 years ago for $10 on sale.
Can't remember where I got them from and I'm reusing some nasty plugs at this point.

Walgreens. That's where I got mine for the same price.

jtemple 11-16-2011 12:56 PM

I just use the old school E-A-R foam plugs. I have gigantic ear canals and they're the only ones that will seal them up tight. I have some reusable rubber plugs, but they start to hurt after prolonged use.

Particle Man 11-16-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtemple (Post 499073)
I have some reusable rubber plugs, but they start to hurt after prolonged use.

er....

jtemple 11-17-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 499075)
er....

:lol

Particle Man 11-19-2011 05:10 PM

Sorry :lol:

ChipperJones 07-17-2012 03:18 PM

Yea its all ear plugs for me unless im going for distance, if im going on a longer road trip to an actual destination i tend to use this samsung bluetooth headset. Im currently looking for something like this so i can just use ear plugs and faint music in the background....but i would rather air flow then be concerned with my hearing!