Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Track (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Trackday-only bike: street or DOT race tires? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=14471)

anthonyk 04-27-2010 02:35 PM

Trackday-only bike: street or DOT race tires?

Hey all, I'm taking a break from street riding for a while and turning my Aprilia back into a track-only bike. It has been a long while since I did a trackday, but I'm hoping to change that this year. I'm not fast by any means, but I'm hoping to pick up some speed as the summer progresses.

If you were going to put one set of tires on for a season of maybe 6 trackdays (more if I can swing it), would you put on DOT race tires, or street tires? I don't have tire warmers, though getting a set isn't totally out of the question. How much should I be worried about DOT tires and heat cycles?

All my trackdays thus far have been on street tires, so I'm not opposed to getting a set. I was just thinking I might take the opportunity to try something different.

smileyman 04-27-2010 02:40 PM

Never plow with a racehorse or race with a plow horse.

Heat cycles effect both kinds of tires. But the DOTs are made to operate under heat conditions you find on track, while street tires will overheat.

Go to the track with track tires, check your pressures consistently and often, use warmers if you can and replace when worn.

skiergirl 04-27-2010 02:46 PM

BT003 RS work great - Been using them for over a year now....and have been through several sets and until i decided to attempt 'just one more track day' on them there worked perfectly.

pdog 04-27-2010 03:25 PM

I would use sport-oriented street tires until you are near race pace. Race tires are really designed to be used with warmers.

Homeslice 04-27-2010 03:54 PM

Because you're not one of the fast guys I don't see anything wrong with it.

azoomm 04-27-2010 04:01 PM

Tires can make or break your trackday experience. Trusting your tires is imperative. Go with Race.

eta: I mean race compound. I wouldn't go with slicks until you have warmers...

smileyman 04-27-2010 05:51 PM

I think you can't go wrong with more sticky!

Safe to say if you aren't pushing hard on race slicks it will just be a waste. You have to use warmers with them and beat on em hard on the track. Otherwise a cold or not up to performing temp slick will put you down just like an overheated street tire.

anthonyk 04-27-2010 10:56 PM

Right on, thanks all. DOT race compound it is.

goof2 04-28-2010 11:42 AM

If you want to get 6 trackdays out of your tires I'm not sure a race compound will hold up for you. The people I know who go to the track are lucky to get 2 days out of DOT race tires on 600 supersports. Race tires should improve your track experience but could be detrimental to your track budget.

Sean 04-28-2010 11:48 AM

Tire life depends on how fast you are, how smooth you are with the throttle, heat conditions, and how fast the track is. I get ~4 trackdays out of a set since I'm a bit of a pussy and am pretty easy on the throttle. I don't slide the bike at all, really. Plus I frequent the lower speed tracks. If you're running big Willow in August you'll need new tires after a day or two.